Hematite Manufacturing Employee Reviews

Management Sucks
Machine Operator / Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 August 2019
They will blame the worker instead of solving the problem.
Not a friendly environment.
The pay is not worth the level of work.
At the end of the day you are replaceable.
The company started giving out yearly bonuses but last year they stopped.
Overall it is at least a paying job. But you can find better. Much better.
They'll use you and throw you away.
Grinder (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON14 February 2019
When I started at Hematite it was the only happy factory I had ever seen in Brantford. The all of the competent management mostly quit or were wrongly terminated. Then moron after moron was granted management positions they couldn't handle. Once that happens it turns into the most dangerous game of "pass the buck" you can play. Every plebian, from HR to "Plant Manager" blames everyone else for their own incompetence. The people that suffer, as always, are the people that work the hardest. I started there with no injuries. After 3 plus years I left with tendonosis in my shoulder and bicep, a torn bicep, and carpal tunnel in both wrists. Coincidence? No. I guarantee my injuries are why I was discarded. Learn from my story, it's very true. They will use you and throw you away.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Incompetence, Plant Manager, Management are liars. HR are just sycophants.
Not a good place to work with this management and rasist co-workers
Labourer/Operator (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON1 February 2019
Use to be good when started working for this company, things change fast in worst after owner let incompetent people take charge of this place. The owner is a very good person which should clean up his place and maintenance department first to ensure a better work condition and life balance in there. Don't count on HR completely useles, just a popet in the game. This company turn in a revolving door. They get rid of previous worker to get in cheap temporary labour's in order to save a buck. Not recommended to anyone to work here since the management is incapable to run that company. Very rasist and abusive in maintenance department, have seen what some mechanics went thru while being forced in different shifts to cover lazy ones who did not make any effort to help. Never worked as a team. Manager very rude and with bad attitude against all the operators when something happens with the machines. Operators and new people were put to work without proper training. The only best part in there were the supervisors which they did everything possible to help and had help from one mechanic who got along with everyone there willing to help all the time. Summer time very hot and hard to work, short brakes and long hours. Steady asket to work overtime to cover management incompetency to get the schedule right.
Pros
Clean company
Cons
Bad management
Great Company with lots going for it.
Production Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON19 January 2019
It’s too bad people come on this site and say things which are very far from the truth. Hematite is a great company. It’s the first place i’ve Worked that truly cares about my health and safety and about the community. Hematite is constantly looking to see who/where they can participate in the community. Employees are engaged and empowered to do their job every day. Management is present and approachable. The plant in Brantford continues to grow, and there is lots of opportunity for people who want to work. Lots of job security, some overtime available. Every second week there is an employee communication meeting. And, it seems like every other week the management team plans a fun activity for the employees. Wages are fair for automotive factory work. I can’t complain. Don’t listen to the naysayers. It’s a great place to work.
Pros
Communication, fun activities, clean, safe, involved in the community
Night shift production (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 December 2018
Not actually though. Thought I was going to blow my brains out every shift. The only good thing about working here was getting heat breaks. Also great when everything broke down which seemed to be about twice a week. I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place
A great place to work with many opportunities to celebrate all ethnicities
Energy manager (Former Employee) –  Brantford and Guelph25 November 2018
I’ve worked at several different companies large and small but never at one that spent so much time, effort and money celebrating business and personal successes, special days ( for all ethnicities) and life in general.
Highly recommend to those who enjoy a variety of experiences and want to do the best job they can.
Pros
Variety of experiences
Incompetent management useless HR
Quality Control Inspector (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON30 September 2018
This company lies about everything fake recycling program fake enviromental policys which are not followed only on paper to convince others that this company is environmentally friendly. HR does not solve anything and will lie to your face and backstab you. Employees get laid off for a so called shortage of work only to rehire cheaper labour a week later. Hematite has a high turnover rate as no one is treated fairly they expect employees to only have a 20 min lunch no heat breaks. I do not recommend anyone to apply here unless you wish to be walked all over. This company is also racist
Pros
Cons
Hardly able to take breaks. Incompetent HR
Used to be good - Not anymore!!!!
Labourer/Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 August 2018
Management is the worst I have ever seen - no clue !!!

Fly by the seat of their pants - no skill set in their operations ,

I don't know how they stay in business!!!!

Treat workers like garbage !!!!!
Pros
N/a
Cons
Workers treated like garbage
Bad Management
Former supervisor (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 May 2018
Arrogant and sloppy can best describe management. Gossip and drama play out regularly within hourly and salary employees. No accountability, just excuses and scapegoats.

Salary is decent, perks are decent but people leave alot to be desired.
Pros
Fitness room that only salary can use, Cake day that only salary get to participate in.
Cons
Weak leadership, changes regulary.
Decent place to work, mostly good experiences with good people
Cad Designer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 January 2018
Enjoyed my 7 years at Hematite. Management was fair. The workplace culture was positive. Good learning experience, learned a lot about the process and some of the materials used. Also a nice focus on environmental sustainability.
Pros
Stable, interesting work
Cons
slightly below average pay
Dusty
Finish Production Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 January 2018
Working with car parts
working with different types of machine
packing
picking
checking car parts
wrapping skits
machine operator (press operator)
folk lift driver
Pros
benefits good
Cons
dusty
Not a good place at all
Machine Operator/Assembler (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON20 October 2017
They have no idea what they are doing or want they don't care about there employes, and they have incompetent and unqualified management not a place to advise anyone to work! Sorry, but it's good to be honest.
Pros
Non
Cons
Ok work but poor management
Line Worker (Current Employee) –  Brantford, ON17 October 2017
This is a very dull place to work and over the years I worked there it saw a lot of people come and go. Great management was slowly replaced by very incompetent management. Great workers replaced with average workers and great customer approved products replaced with poor products that do not meet the buyer companies' standards. It is just a job, not a career. If you keep your mouth shut about inconsistencies and also shut up about bullying and racism in the work place then its easier to keep your job.
Pros
more than minimum wage
Cons
poor management
Straightforward factory atmosphere, with pleasant coworkers
Finished Process Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON31 January 2017
The work was repetitive, but simple complete. The coworkers are nice and realize we just want to get through the shift and go enjoy our time off. The breaks were short, and it gets very hot in the summer though.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
Consistent
General Labourer (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON13 January 2017
Mediocre company, it does everything well. Nothing is done amazingly its just done well. Everything is on time and orderly. Working here gives you the sense of they do everything they need too and they do it in the time frame given. Nothing more, nothing less. The level of consistency is scary.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Boring
It's a good job
Material Handler/Finishing Process Operator (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON30 April 2016
I think I have a good job.
They treat me good.
They can do better.
I like the hours I work and the people I work with.
Its a job that pays the bills.
good
Production Worker (Former Employee) –  Brantford, ON29 February 2016
a good company to work for, nice atmosphere, interesting work, co-worker are really helpful, nice management team.
overall - a good place to work
Women do not get promoted
EDI Specialist, Materials Department (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 January 2013
My typical day was to handle customer service, all incoming and outgoing EDI for all customers set up on EDI, Inside sales, and to cross train 4 other employees. Once a month inventory had to be done because there was no policing of procedures relating to inventory, they just wanted to reconcile every month. However the inventory was left up to the females generally monthy to do and we were expected to come in on a Saturday. My immediate supervisor expected me to take all calls from Ford Chrysler and GM in the evening and early morning without any compensation and this is the main reason I did not appreciate working there. I added up a mountain of time doing ASN's etc and fixing computer order issues at 2am but then expected to be in to work at 8am. Overall I worked well with the other co-workers but in the end they made me train a very junior employee and he was my replacement.
Even though the team regularily came to me with supervisoral issues because our supervisor was rarely in the office, when he ultimately got fired, they would not promote me into his position.
Pros
ok salary
Cons
crazy work expectations, they would not promote women