Hematite Manufacturing

Hematite Manufacturing Employee Reviews

Canada24 reviews
Job wasn’t bad… Once upon a time the place was fantastic to work for. Not so much anymore . place is closing so who cares. To many layoffs to be secure in your job raises were non existent
Cons
Plant is closing
Great team and communal spirit. The managers are genuinely interested in your success and they are easily accessible. Same with the CEO.

Great place to work.
You dont have time for breaks ...i took full hr for lunch and a bit to go to the gym to destress
Otherwise you get stressed to the max...otherwise its not that difficult for an experience inventory person...just busy
the typical day was as most line work is repetitive. i placed parts into a cutting press then removed the cut product. the culture was relatively relaxed during the shift i worked (nightshift)
A very good company with an owner that does not acknowledge appreciate the work that his managers do. Managers are used, abused and discarded at the whim of the owner. The people working there are excellent an perform their duties well despite the circumstances. The owner has recently stepped back and has appointed a new president to run the business. I hope he is allowed to do his job the way it should be done, All the great manager working there deserve respect and proper direction..
They will blame the worker instead of solving the problem.
Not a friendly environment.

The pay is not worth the level of work.

At the end of the day you are replaceable.

The company started giving out yearly bonuses but last year they stopped.

Overall it is at least a paying job. But you can find better. Much better.
When I started at Hematite it was the only happy factory I had ever seen in Brantford. The all of the competent management mostly quit or were wrongly terminated. Then moron after moron was granted management positions they couldn't handle. Once that happens it turns into the most dangerous game of "pass the buck" you can play. Every plebian, from HR to "Plant Manager" blames everyone else for their own incompetence. The people that suffer, as always, are the people that work the hardest. I started there with no injuries. After 3 plus years I left with tendonosis in my shoulder and bicep, a torn bicep, and carpal tunnel in both wrists. Coincidence? No. I guarantee my injuries are why I was discarded. Learn from my story, it's very true. They will use you and throw you away.
Pros
Health benefits
Cons
Incompetence, Plant Manager, Management are liars. HR are just sycophants.
Use to be good when started working for this company, things change fast in worst after owner let incompetent people take charge of this place. The owner is a very good person which should clean up his place and maintenance department first to ensure a better work condition and life balance in there. Don't count on HR completely useles, just a popet in the game. This company turn in a revolving door. They get rid of previous worker to get in cheap temporary labour's in order to save a buck. Not recommended to anyone to work here since the management is incapable to run that company. Very rasist and abusive in maintenance department, have seen what some mechanics went thru while being forced in different shifts to cover lazy ones who did not make any effort to help. Never worked as a team. Manager very rude and with bad attitude against all the operators when something happens with the machines. Operators and new people were put to work without proper training. The only best part in there were the supervisors which they did everything possible to help and had help from one mechanic who got along with everyone there willing to help all the time. Summer time very hot and hard to work, short brakes and long hours. Steady asket to work overtime to cover management incompetency to get the schedule right.
Pros
Clean company
Cons
Bad management
It’s too bad people come on this site and say things which are very far from the truth. Hematite is a great company. It’s the first place i’ve Worked that truly cares about my health and safety and about the community. Hematite is constantly looking to see who/where they can participate in the community. Employees are engaged and empowered to do their job every day. Management is present and approachable. The plant in Brantford continues to grow, and there is lots of opportunity for people who want to work. Lots of job security, some overtime available. Every second week there is an employee communication meeting. And, it seems like every other week the management team plans a fun activity for the employees. Wages are fair for automotive factory work. I can’t complain. Don’t listen to the naysayers. It’s a great place to work.
Pros
Communication, fun activities, clean, safe, involved in the community
Cons
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at Hematite Manufacturing?
I loved working at this place when I started here, great people, great management and supervisors. Work was boring but the people you worked with made it worth staying.

About a year into my service, there was a major change in management with about a third leaving within 6 months, being replaced by some of the worst, most arrogant, self centered and slimy management I have ever worked for. Unless you somehow make it years and years here, your job security is no better than at a temp agency as layoffs are frequent and generally with little/no warning.

As the company grew larger and larger they lost touch with what made this place great to work at in the first place, that transparency between management and the employees and the amount of breaks you got(50 minutes total). Which got slashed down to 30 minutes(10min break, 20min lunch) a few months before I had enough and started to look elsewhere for employment. I am grateful for the experience I got from here in something that interested me so I could look elsewhere for better employment using that experience.

I would never go back, and I wouldn't suggest anyone apply here, you get treated better working at a temp agency.
Pros
Good benefits
Cons
awful management, high turnover, meh pay
Not actually though. Thought I was going to blow my brains out every shift. The only good thing about working here was getting heat breaks. Also great when everything broke down which seemed to be about twice a week. I wouldn't wish this place on my worst enemy.
Pros
Cons
Everything about this place
I’ve worked at several different companies large and small but never at one that spent so much time, effort and money celebrating business and personal successes, special days ( for all ethnicities) and life in general.
Highly recommend to those who enjoy a variety of experiences and want to do the best job they can.
Pros
Variety of experiences
Cons
This company lies about everything fake recycling program fake enviromental policys which are not followed only on paper to convince others that this company is environmentally friendly. HR does not solve anything and will lie to your face and backstab you. Employees get laid off for a so called shortage of work only to rehire cheaper labour a week later. Hematite has a high turnover rate as no one is treated fairly they expect employees to only have a 20 min lunch no heat breaks. I do not recommend anyone to apply here unless you wish to be walked all over. This company is also racist
Pros
Cons
Hardly able to take breaks. Incompetent HR
Management is the worst I have ever seen - no clue !!!

Fly by the seat of their pants - no skill set in their operations ,

I don't know how they stay in business!!!!

Treat workers like garbage !!!!!
Pros
N/a
Cons
Workers treated like garbage
Arrogant and sloppy can best describe management. Gossip and drama play out regularly within hourly and salary employees. No accountability, just excuses and scapegoats.

Salary is decent, perks are decent but people leave alot to be desired.
Pros
Fitness room that only salary can use, Cake day that only salary get to participate in.
Cons
Weak leadership, changes regulary.
Enjoyed my 7 years at Hematite. Management was fair. The workplace culture was positive. Good learning experience, learned a lot about the process and some of the materials used. Also a nice focus on environmental sustainability.
Pros
Stable, interesting work
Cons
slightly below average pay
Working with car parts
working with different types of machine

packing

picking

checking car parts

wrapping skits

machine operator (press operator)

folk lift driver
Pros
benefits good
Cons
dusty
They have no idea what they are doing or want they don't care about there employes, and they have incompetent and unqualified management not a place to advise anyone to work! Sorry, but it's good to be honest.
Pros
Non
Cons
This is a very dull place to work and over the years I worked there it saw a lot of people come and go. Great management was slowly replaced by very incompetent management. Great workers replaced with average workers and great customer approved products replaced with poor products that do not meet the buyer companies' standards. It is just a job, not a career. If you keep your mouth shut about inconsistencies and also shut up about bullying and racism in the work place then its easier to keep your job.
Pros
more than minimum wage
Cons
poor management
The work was repetitive, but simple complete. The coworkers are nice and realize we just want to get through the shift and go enjoy our time off. The breaks were short, and it gets very hot in the summer though.
Pros
Coworkers
Cons
Short breaks
Mediocre company, it does everything well. Nothing is done amazingly its just done well. Everything is on time and orderly. Working here gives you the sense of they do everything they need too and they do it in the time frame given. Nothing more, nothing less. The level of consistency is scary.
Pros
Easy Work
Cons
Boring