Helical Pier Systems

Helical Pier Systems Employee Reviews

Canada37 reviews
The average day is steady without being overly stressful. There are some divisions between departments but otherwise the culture within departments is positive. There are opportunities to learn new tasks and create new processes to develop skills. It's easy to get up and come to work every day.
Pros
Flexibility
Small shop great place to learn fun people to work with. Management is great a job culture is good. Great place to work and live I would recommend this job to anyone
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Lots of hours
It was a great place of work, until HPS went bankrupt, we had a great group in the accounting department. Has fun and got our work done. I would love to work with the new owner.
Pros
Close to my home
Cons
Great people to work with
Good working culture

Top management caring about employees' personal life by being flexible and accommodate their family needs
I worked at HPS for just under 8 years, and they unfortunately closed down their Medicine Hat Facility, otherwise I would still be working there.
The communication between the head facility management and our facility was lacking though.
All in all a nice experience, I was happy until things went downhill because of management problems. There was a big layoff because of financial problems.
Grew quickly and focused on core strategies. Did well until they bought a company they could not afford daily operating costs.
Safety conscious, excellent training on equipment and good corporate culture with caring management ; but then needed to sever 1/2 the staff and 3 leases to survive. new management should have kept better performers.

.kisserskisses
This company is utterly toxic and doesn't pay its bills. The management is so shameless, full of lies, favoritism & nepotism. They have no decency left for their minuscule remaining staff. They have no problem firing anyone with fake causes/excuses to merely save couple of weeks termination pay in lieu and ruin innocent careers because they have nothing left to fear for, not even lawsuits from ex-employees. They just find easy scapegoats to release their frustration from sheer incompetence. Another reviewer has correctly mentioned the sheer madness going on here. Stay away from this company as far as you can to save your career, time & effort.
Pros
Absolutely Nothing
Cons
This company has the worst management I ever seen. Backbiting, no respect and very toxic working environment. They smile in your face but a lot of negativities in your back. Stay away from it if you can!
I am appalled at the sheer incompetence in senior management. People being advanced into positions they know nothing about because of nepotism, or favoritism. Company is drowning in debts, both payable and receivables, and has laid off pretty much 3/4 of the office staff.
Benefits included very expensive extended health benefits that cost around 40$ per pay period, but didn't deliver on decent dental (80% to a max of 1500$/year) or 1500$/year on a max of three providers, and only 500$/year per service provider.

Overall, I was shocked mostly at senior management that just struggled to get anything done.
Pros
Decent pay but eaten up paying for benefits
Cons
Senior management and blatent nepotism and favoritism.
They like to hire family and make these uneducated people your boss.

Not cool. Seems they want to give themselves bonuses and tell employees they aren't working hard enough.

Stay away.
HPS was a great place to work, the managemt was great and the pay was good.
Lunch breaks were a good length

Every one was easy to work with

I enjoyed working for this company
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Benifits
People are great to work with and they are a lot of fun.
learned about buying Pipe & Plate for Jobs

Senior Management is very disorganized

Great work culture was great

Trying to procure materials on a limited budget

Working with all the people around me
Pros
The people
Cons
Limited Budget
The guys at the shop were all great to work with and made the day go by well! You earned your money with the work they put you through, but the guys made it more than worth it. The HR department was horrendous to work with, as was the then shop manager. He was a yes man to the clients, which made our jobs harder. Overall an alright place to work, just avoid the office people.
Pros
Good people to work with, Alright money
Cons
Long hours, Poor HR department, Poor safety
A change in the finance division was required, however, it is very difficult to deal with angry vendors and subcontractors because not enough revenue is generated. Multiple layoffs within a few months times due to low revenues. Pretty certain that a couple of people at the management level behave more like bullies rather than leaders. Very little “spine” when it comes to being able to back their own people from within. There are a few examples also of people being hired there that are just not qualified on the office end.
Pros
A few good people in the offices
Cons
Those few good people are dealing with some bad eggs in their department
need you when they are busy toss people aside when its slow,wanna be tough guy as management. every tool box needs a hammer but that's all they got there
Pros
good when busy lots of ot
Cons
management
ok pay. flexable people. they just cant seem to keep enough work for the guys. there are always layoffs every cople months. then they hire you back for a short time and then lay you off again. not a job for a family man
I really enjoyed my time at HPS unfortunately my division was cut due to economy. Great staff great management great pay great benefits I really did enjoy working there I recommend this place to anyone that is applying for any position that they have good luck
friendly place to work, learn lots, and great people to work with. Competitive wages, and group benefits with rrsp and tfsa contribututions
Perfect place to work for an aspiring mechanic, most knowledgeable auto mechanics I have worked with as well as the largest variety of vehicles and mechanical repairs you will find at any one small shop.
I learned how to manage a crew and well. Also learned how to confront problems find a simple and efficient way around the issues. Dealing with clients and office management was a excellent learning curve as well, getting the experience of the insurance and outs of the paper work what happens behind doors.
Pros
Responsibilities and ability to make the right call
Cons
Big business where people are just a number