Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals

Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals Employee Reviews

Great Place to work with great leadership

Featured review

Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals selected this as a representative review
Really provide a family culture where everyone feels involved. No matter what you can reach out to anyone in the organization for help. ALways willing to listen and purchase what is required to get a job done. Good pay, good benefits, lots of opportunities to move up with all of the different businesses they are in. Overall great place and very happy here.

Great place for the right people

I am a long tenured employee with this company, don't let the reviews fool you. The negatively leaning reviews are from disgruntled former employees who didn't work out for many reasons, either they didn't have the work ethic HMER is looking for, were not team players or didn't agree with the way HMER does things. There are alot of great things about this company, you won't find very many places where the ownership is involved at such a high capacity with the day to day, are very engaging and friendly with all their employees. If you aren't scared to put in a hard honest days work, and work with a great bunch of people between all our locations from the oil sands, camrose/ Edmonton area, our labrador location with a brand new 80×120' shop, to our operation in Nevada,USA. Come play and see for your self and don't take the word from people that didn't work out.( as most of them didn't work out at their previous employers also)

Very shady outfit

Very unsupportive environment with no room for advancement. They don’t follow proper labour laws and they don’t pay their bills. Very disappointed as a former employee.

Pros

Cons

Don’t follow labour laws

Don't fool yourself by the wage they offer

This is the worst place ever. Not only you have to know how to lick back also you'll have to be good at it in order to keep a job there. You don't need any work ethics at this place. Their buddy buddies will get all the overtime but do nothing, you keep your head down and work, but when the time comes, you'll be the first one to be out of the door. They will get rid of you without blinking their eyes. You worth less than the dust on their boots. Save yourself some hassle and stay away from companies like this.

Stressful

Do you want to work at a place, that is ran by a bunch of rabid idiots, and chooses to promote and take care of fellow, likewise idiots, rather than take care of the guys that are actually worth something? Do you like hearing and seeing so much negativity that even the grinch would shed a tear? Or maybe you prefer management who are a bunch of self absorbed, lying clowns, whom all meet on Friday night for a ritual group reach around? If you answered YES to any of these questions, this place is for you

Pros

Days off

Cons

Great for getting into the sands

Give you all thr training, will pay travel give you a place to stay. Very good place to start but definitely not a career by any means. Pays very well and over time after 8 hours.

Pros

Loa, housing, training, travel exp

Cons

0 tooling, to many east coasters, to many expectations with lack pf equipment

Used to be a great place

Heavy Metal used to be good. They hired certain new people who have been destroying this company. Zero drive to go to work when you are working for a narcissist. The company is changing and not in a good way. Only good thing is my current co workers but they are leaving at an alarming rate

Pros

most coworkers

Cons

new hires, management

Stay far away if you can

Co-workers good to work with but that is about it. The Fort Mackay shop manager is a Narsistic (censored) who has no idea how to manage people and the owners either don't know or don't care. I was temporarily laid off due to covid but a week later found that my job position was replaced by a recent new hire. That is how they treat employees that they say are their most valuable asset. Wish I didn't quit my job to work for Heavy Muppets.

Pros

Good wages and benefits

Cons

Management doesn't have a clue

Helpful coworkers, poor management

Extensive experience to be gained as a mechanic on mining equipments as u r required to service all the various type of equipments. Very helpful coworkers however recent managers/supervisors will suppress your development or get rid of u by any means necessary if u r not on their favourite list. Owners apparently dont care.

Pros

Good benefits

Cons

Poor management

No room for moving up in the company

People that we work with is what keeps most people at this place They very rarely live up to promises made not very likely to move up in the company If your hired as a labourer with promises of a apprenticeship after a year of service odds are you will just be a labourer Management is atrocious Safety will find any loophole they can to hang you upon a incident

Pros

Good people to work with

Cons

Managment

8 October 2020
Here at Heavy Metal we pride ourselves on assisting our team members to continually grow and develop both personally and professionally. A significant number of our Executive and Management Teams, have grown from Labourers, through the apprenticeship program to Heavy Equipment Technicians themselves. We have also promoted several Technicians over the years from entry level positions and fostered their journey to become certified trades people, Lead Hands and Supervisors.While it may seem as though the process takes longer than you had hoped for, as an organization to be able to provide opportunities, we also have to have positions available within our staffing model which is also supported by the business of our clients and vendors. The safety of our team members, our customers and our clients is extremely important. We want to ensure that everyone goes home every day. As with any good safety program, it is imperative to determine the root cause of any accident, incident or near miss to maintain a safe environment. The goal is not to point fingers or lay blame, but to understand how things happen for future prevention and the safety of all. We thank you for your comments and will work harder to ensure that our teams understand the process for growing within the company and the purpose and necessity of thorough investigations.

Jobs at Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals

See more jobs

Poor management

Management didnt actually care about the poeple who works for the company. Everything is all about money. They have a lot of nice people and workers, but i can actually say that the old heavy metal is way better than what they are right now. Another thing is they hired a supervisor who didnt even know what hes doing. Safety rules are crazy, and the manager can fire you out without having a valid reason. Lots of good worker chose to quit their job in heavy metal.

Pros

Nice co-workers

Cons

Poor management

8 October 2020
We are sorry to hear that you did not have a positive experience with your Manager and Supervisor. We would like to learn more about your experiences and invite you to connect with Human Resources to share your feedback. We also recognize that we do have a lot of safety rules and focus. This is for the protection of you and your teammates. Without these rules, we are increasing risk and jeopardizing the safety of our teams and clients. Ending the employment relationship with anyone is difficult at any time. These decisions are never taken lightly and consist of many variables. While the perception of a termination may be considered invalid, we will continue to protect the highly confidential nature of these matters. As I am sure you would appreciate this level of respect should you be in the situation, we maintain this standard for everyone. Thank you for taking the time to provide a review. We look forward to your additional feedback so we can adjust our practices, so our teams feel supported and valued.

Good while employed with company.

Good company to work for, they employed some very good people. HR is good with employees. I was interviewed by the owner of the company which gave me a great respect for the man who hired me.

Pros

Good benifits

Cons

Price of oil

8 October 2020
We are so glad to hear you have enjoyed your time while working with the Heavy Metal family. It is always our goal to provide a positive work environment.

Safety was not high on priority, they preach safety, but never did what they preached!

I was told when hired, that transportation would be provided, but after I was hired, I was told that I would have to drive to and from work, adding an extra 45 minutes in good weather, each way. At first it looking like a nice place to work, but I soon saw the ugly truth. In my job, I had to be responsible for the safe transport of parts to and from mine sites, management was not very happy that I wanted proper 3" straps to secure my loads. ( All safety tags intact, and load limits close to 3000 lbs.) They gripped, when I asked for safety chains for heavy loads, that were to go on our 25' goose neck trailer. When I returned after my days off, my truck would always be missing straps, chains, and safety gear. Management would do very little to stop the thefts from my work truck. My immediate supervisor, told me I should lock up my truck tools every night, because he agreed that some of the employees at the shop, were thieves.

Pros

They had a RRSP plan

Cons

Bad management/owners, poor customer relations.

8 October 2020
Thank you for your feedback. The provision of transportation is dependent on the hours of work for the position, to which this was obviously miscommunicated initially on our part. We do recognize that driving to site has a personal impact and apologize for the incorrect information.Heavy Metal has a strong Safety Management System to which our Managers are responsible and accountable for. As part of this system, Heavy Metal provides all the necessary tools and equipment to ensure that team members can complete their tasks safely. When presented with requests for equipment, Heavy Metal assesses the request and provides where necessary. Given the number of team members who may require access to the equipment, we recognized that more standardized practices were required to track the tooling and equipment. This was an area that was identified that needed improvement and we believe that we have taken the necessary steps to address the concerns.

Excellant place to gain a ton of experience on different equipment

Wonderful people to work with, from management to technicians and everyone in-between. Friendly upbeat staff, positive atmosphere, can be fast paced.

14 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your comments. It is always our goal to provide a workplace where our team members are happy to be. Thank you for your contributions to Heavy Metal!

They act like they care

But the give a frig about you, we're always understaffed. You will always have to do 3/4 different jobs outside you're own job because we don't have the man power and don't even get me going on the mess that they have for equipment to run. They expect you to break you're back for nothing, with that being said the workers are great, and that's about it. Everyday gongshow!!!

14 May 2020
Thank you for your comments and review. It is concerning to us to find that you are dissatisfied in your workplace. Our people are our most valuable asset, and we are genuinely concerned about your health, safety and well-being. From the information given, we can appreciate the strain you are experiencing. We invite you to connect with HR so we are able to gather the necessary information and address your concerns appropriately. We look forward to the opportunity to provide a workplace and environment you are happy to be part of.

Heavy Muppets

Management needs to be exchanged. The good mechanics that would have made HME a good place to work. Management has managed to push them out. Got fired for no reason. A copy of OH and S was put in a termination letter for just cause. Read to me and I was fired two weeks before xmas. Anyways labor board got involved and I was paid out. So HME managment will lie to get u fired.

14 May 2020
We are sorry to hear you have had a negative experience working with Heavy Metal. Unfortunately there are times that working together does not work out and having to leave when it is not your choice is always difficult; there is never a good time. It is very important to us to ensure that we are treating our team members fairly and within legislated standards, to which we will always comply. We have taken your comments into consideration to better our practices going forward. Thank you very much for your efforts and services during your tenure with Heavy Metal. We truly wish you the best in your career.

Excellent

Great people to work with.. Great team. Company has many work sites to choose from. Very family oriented, and considerate. Fast growing company, lots of advancement.

14 May 2020
Thank you for taking the time to share your review. We do put much effort into maintaining our family environment, positive work sites and creating opportunities where we can grow and develop together. Thank you for all you do!

Thank you, it’s been a good run so far.

Thank you, it’s been a good run so far. I enjoy learning something new everyday, lots of different situations, and brands of equipment. Also safety is a must here so if ur not safe do not apply.

14 May 2020
Safety is a top priority for our Heavy Metal Team. Thank you for recognizing the importance and participating in our programs. It is great to hear that you are happy with and find value in your work.

They expect you to know every machine.theres not much opportunity for learning.

The Work life balance is way off,theres no union,you can be fired anytime,especially if you and a supervisor or management dont get along well.theres no opportunities for moving up in the company.theres not much training offered,they expect you to know everything about mechanic and all equipment.which is stupid,as they themselves dont know.

Two Thumbs Up!

Heavy Metal Equipment is a company which has seen huge growth over the past 4-5 years. I started here about 2 years ago and have always been impressed by the companies willingness to invest in their staff and promote from within.

Pros

Company housing, transport to site, free taxi rides

Welcoming environment with a family atmosphere

At heavy metal you are challenged every day with new tasks. You never know what you will get to learn. The people that you work with are easy to approach and are always willing to help. Getting to work on the largest equipment in the world is rewarding. Heavy metal is a growing company that supports feedback to create a safe work environment. I find that your success in heavy metal is only limited by the amount that you contribute yourself.

Pros

Housing, living allowance, transport

Cons

The drive from housing to site.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7Job security/advancement

Compare Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals with

• Heavy Metal Equipment & Rentals
Tell us how to improve this page
What would you add or change?