Heatherlea Farm Shoppe

Heatherlea Farm Shoppe Reviews

Canada12 reviews

Great Staff but Terrible Management

I enjoyed the job and the people I worked with. Management/owners start out really great and welcoming but sooner or later that takes a turn. After a year I was informed through a third party that I had been dismissed. Very unprofessional.

Been employed here for some time now, was treated great from the begging until present.Enjoy my time, staff is great no problem with management. Definitely would recommend.

Run away. Far.

First, WONDERFUL people to work with. STAFF. NOT MANAGEMENT. I really loved working with all the staff. BUT. The management, is beyond clueless. They will tell you a lot of great things to start. Benefits, the hours youll work, etc. Super lovely people when you first get there. But its all sham. No benefits were ever mentioned, paid below what I was worth. Talked down to, made to feel like a leper. And if you even make a suggestion to improve something? Youll not only get ignored, but given the cold shoulder for days. For people that farm beef, they know almost nothing about how to effectively run a butcher shop. They will cut your hours without warning, for no reason, but expect you to do the same work in half the time, or people will quit and you're expected to do the work of 2 or 3 employees ... and with less hours to do it in. If you ask about it, you'll get ignored. Certain people are favorites, but for the most part, they treat their staff like garbage. Overworked and severely under appreciated. I wouldn't recommend anyone work here if I was paid to say it.

Pros

The actual staff there are awesome people.

Cons

everything else.

Fast-paced environment, good first job

Heatherlea was a good business to work for as a first job, provides many opportunities to learn retail, customer service, and to work professionally with others from a sales associate perspective. Very supportive peers in the fast-paced environment- there is a lot to learn and know. At first, it is intimidating and gets very busy on weekends. Management in a small family business was okay, could get time off with advanced notice.

Pros

Supportive peers & good first job

Cons

Not being able to take full lunches during understaffed days

Supportive retail team

A family run farm and butcher shop in a small town. The customers are nice and the retail team support each other. There is a variety of tasks to do including serving customers in the cafe and the butcher counter. It's nice to see all the different local farmers' products - very much focused on local food.

Pros

Store discount

Cons

Can be busy and challenging at times

Waste of time

The food and recipes here are difficult to follow, poorly understood by management and unchangeable regardless of your calibre as a chef. The equipment you are expected to produce such a wide range of prepped and frozen meals with is laughably unmanageable as is, but you'll have a sandwich menu to execute at the same time. The result is working far to hard to produce food while being the personal chef and dishwasher for the owners who don't have constructive input of any kind. In my 5 months here I watched 6 employees come and go with complaints of poor pay, backstabbing, and constant schedule errors. Products are over priced and you will have no control over ordering (but will somehow beresponsible for mistakes made) and constantly struggle to receive the correct product to do your job effectively. I had no control of ordering in my time here but I was still somehow blamed for mistakes made, this is one of my many reasons for leaving.

Pros

9-5 hours

Cons

Zero room for growth.

Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The management team has no idea what they're doing. And sadly, aren't smart enough to recognize that, and find people that can get the job done properly. Also very negatively focused and emotionally driven. Which is a bad combination.

Pros

The job paid well

Cons

Bad Ownership

Nitpicking Overbearing Management

No freedom of creativity here. No control over menus, ordering or staffing. Backstabbing and brown nosing will get you far when you work front of house. Working in the kitchen means your also the family's personal chef and dishwasher. No equipment gets any maintenance so you'll have to go without for long periods. Want to still work here? Grown a THICK skin and try not to get offended too often, else your not going to last.

Run fast

Over worked underpaid unappreciated, I've been a professional chef for over 18 years and the former Events Chef at the Cambridge mill. This place is an absolute waste of time if you value your career stay away nothing you do is good enough expressione if it doesn't come from the owner it's no good it's an absolute waste of time. Management has no idea what they are doing, Bring fresh new ideas absolutely turned away if they don't understand it they won't do it small town minded people

Cons

over worked and under appreciated.

Heatherlea had a lot of potential to be a staple in their community. Poor management wouldn't allow good hardworking staff members to excel. Management and owners are manipulative, closed-minded and toxic bullies. I wouldn't recommend this place for people that are passionate about local food; much of the meat is not raised on-farm. There is no room for growth within the company.

Good people/lots of turnaround

Loved working with the people there. But watch out for the signing bonus/health benefits. They sound great but if you make it up to the 3 month mark you may be dismissed. At least three chefs have been dismissed in the last 6 months

ok

it was a good place to work. the people who work there are all really nice but i left because they started giving me less hours every week until they kept giving me no hours at all.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heatherlea Farm Shoppe. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

1.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement