Heart & Stroke

Heart & Stroke Employee Reviews

Canada201 reviews
Great work enviroment
Collaborative, community, and a great workplace culture. Open work space in downtown Vancouver. Strong community partnerships and corporate support. Work from home options.
great working environment with caring people
you setup your classroom for your courses, welcome your candidates, teach the course by explaining, demo and have them practice. at the end of the course evaluate and order their course completion card
It was a fun place to work, with lots of fundraising ideas to be involved in to help individuals live a healthy life style.
Working at Heart and Stroke was a fun working environment. The work place fostered a Healthy lifestyle with lots of tools to help a long the way

My job location was 2300 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario
Good workplace to get volunteer hours.
I got many volunteer hours from heart and stroke, about 30 or so hours, good place to work or volunteer as there are a wide range of activities to work or get volunteer hours.
Partner Provider
As a partner provider, I have little to do with the organization other than maintaining instructor status and adhering to updated protocols. The programs are well structured.
Great for volunteers
Found the opportunity to be ok. It was good to learn about the non profit organization. Found it to be monotonous. I would recommend this for students looking for work experience.
Poor Leadership
Poor leadership and management; tremendous pressure on one very competent individual on the team. No accountability for very irresponsible staff. Lack of policy and procedures. Poor treatment of staff with high initiative. Lack of criminal record checks for staff or volunteers, bonding, etc. Despite advocating for these things as well as business continuity planning, sustainable practices... nothing. The team even experienced theft over 10, 000 on their Big Bike Project. Would never work for them again. Absolutely no accountability.
You feel great about the work you are doing
You feel great about the work you are doing. By working at Heart & Stroke in fundraising, you are fueling research to help save lives. Vacation time is also a great benefit.
Awesome
I volunteered and loved going there after school. The staff that assisted were very kind. They were always there to help. The people I worked with were very friendly. Would definitely do it again. Highly recommend!
Hard times forced closed offices
The office I managed was closed do to an overall decline is the performance of the entire foundation portfolio. Because our office always met or exceeded fundraising goals they were able to maintain a home office in the area.

The job expectation of that home office was not feasible in my opinion and it made it difficult to keep up relationships with local supporters.
Canvassing for them was really easy
I canvassed for them for my community service hours that I needed to graduate high school and it was quick and simple, it felt good knowing that I was benefiting others while pursuing my goals.
Collaborative and positive workplace
The people who work there are dedicated to the health of Canadians. They recognize the importance of their work and are always ready to jump in and help out.
Pros
Central location, excellent teamwork
Cons
Can be noisy due to work stations
Excellent working environment
The environment is highly friendly and supportive. My direct supervisor is very respective, friendly and helping. It is possibility to work in a very relaxing
Heart and Stroke Foundation is a very fun and exciting place to work.
I am very excited to work at the Heart and Stroke foundation. The people are very committed to the work they do and have an enthusiastic attitude which you can see and feel.

I am doing a tremendous amount of retention calls for the upcoming February 2020 Heart campaign. And I also do data entry.
n/a
Good opertunity for students tbat are not shy calling people for heart month and asking them to canvas on their street Explaining to their people and
NON for profit organization
As a Bookkeeper, I was in charge of the bank reconciliation, keeping track of all donations with a software program, counting money and organizing a deposit to the bank.
Amazing people trying to improve the lives of others
I worked on the data team and we were trying to modernize how we use data to demonstrate the risks of heart and stroke related diseases. The Data, Knowledge Management, and Heart Program (DKH) team is a great group of people and they are leading the organization in their digital transformation.
Work here if you like having no job security, no professional growth, a terrible salary with no opportunity for a raise
I would not recommend working here if you want to grow your career or gain new valuable skills. There is no room for a promotion, a raise or professional growth. This organization does not invest it's time to utilize it's employees skills or in their development.

Pros: Dog friendly office, amount of personal days, flexible hours, free parking, staff, nice big office and kitchen

Cons: Salary (no opportunity for raises or bonus's), extremely administrative heavy, no opportunity for professional growth, poor fundraising data system (multiple tracking systems that are inconsistent and inaccurate), work independently and not with a team, poor company culture (across the country), constant turnover and layoffs (your job is never safe), National office implements decisions and doesn't take on the ground staff feedback into consideration, all about the numbers and not about the donors or spreading valuable information
Workplace culture not conducive to typical jobs
I think that within a small organization, a lot depends on the management style. Sometimes, it is harder to adapt to different personalities with a smaller workforce.
Fundraising Nonprofit
I volunteer seasonally at Heart and Stroke and always enjoy lending a hand. Routines and responsibilities vary depending on different fundraisers during the year.
Good place
Good mission, company heading in the right direction in order to stay competitive in the charity market that they are in. Morale a bit low due to constant changes.