Heart & Stroke
Happiness score is 69 out of 100

Heart & Stroke Employee Reviews

Canada210 reviews

heartfoundationvolunteerfundraisedonationorganizationeventoffice

Good place to work, but plan to be laid off at some point

Good place to work, however the organization is constantly reorganizing itself making it difficult to rely on having a job next year, next month, or even tomorrow. A flexible, and adaptable individual may be able to find opportunities but it is not guaranteed.

Good, Stable Workplace

Great benefits and holiday time, collaborative culture who care about the cause and want to make a difference. Fantastic work/life balance with fair pay and benefits. You need to work hard of course as nowhere will give you an easy ride but it’s worth it.

Insights into Heart & Stroke

What people like
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Ability to meet personal goals
Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager

Effeciency

A good organization to work for. My manager at that time is the best manager I've ever worked with. Very professional and open minded poeple working for a great cause and a good purpose.

Rewarding work

Had many activities going on all the time to make job stressful, but was very rewarding working for this charity and see the benefits for the survivors.

Love the people but this position is overworked & underpaid for that kind of responsibilities given

Most enjoyable part of my work is working with the volunteers as you get to meet so many different kind of people who are so giving of their time and it's wonderful to see them develop and subsequently find a job (they are mostly students) and yet it is the hardest part of the job as the volunteer turnover rate is very high

Pros

Love my colleagues and my managers. Love my volunteers. Such wonderful teamwork.

Cons

Overwork, underpaid No job security, no job progression opportunity Top heavy organization

Stressful work environment

very stressfull work environment. "revolving door" as far as employees are concerned. You wear many hats in this organization. I have worked there for almost 8 years and I had 7 managers so far.

Pros

n/a

Cons

stressful

Run like a sales environment not a non profit

They only cared about how much money they could bring in. This was to support the mid to upper staff salaries. A lot of pressure to bring in large donations. Felt like I worked in a high stressed sales environment instead of a nonprofit organization.

Pros

pay

Cons

work environment and unreal expectations

Informative and Enjoyable Job Experience

Enjoyed my time working for this company, and working with a group of young positive people was very good as well. A very Informative and honestly eye opening experience for me, I learned a lot while I was there.

Pros

Good conversation and constructive learning experiences here.

Enjoyable environment with very friendly staff

I enjoyed working there and had a wonderful manager. I liased with the vendors and building management for various repairs within the office and assisted with Office Services functions and Reception relief.

Pros

Benefits, paid vacation, sick leave and personal days

Cons

Board room arrangements was physically draining at times

Really enjoyed my time with ♥️/

They provided sufficient training on opening, closing, and operation procedures, as well as gift wrap training. We were also told not to put up with rude or aggressive customers. "You're volunteering your time to be here. You're not getting paid to put up with abuse. If something happens, let us know and we will handle it." Though, despite the holiday rush, most people were very patient. It was a great experience and I learned a lot about Heart and Stroke. I was also able to work as a supervisor even though it was my first year. They also provide letters upon request for volunteers who work 12+ hours. I would definitely recommend

Pros

Proper training; Managers who stick up for volunteers

Cons

Oddly shaped items can't always be boxed before wrapping

Great work enviroment

Collaborative, community, and a great workplace culture. Open work space in downtown Vancouver. Strong community partnerships and corporate support. Work from home options.

great working environment with caring people

you setup your classroom for your courses, welcome your candidates, teach the course by explaining, demo and have them practice. at the end of the course evaluate and order their course completion card

It was a fun place to work, with lots of fundraising ideas to be involved in to help individuals live a healthy life style.

Working at Heart and Stroke was a fun working environment. The work place fostered a Healthy lifestyle with lots of tools to help a long the way My job location was 2300 Yonge Street, Toronto, Ontario

Good workplace to get volunteer hours.

I got many volunteer hours from heart and stroke, about 30 or so hours, good place to work or volunteer as there are a wide range of activities to work or get volunteer hours.

Partner Provider

As a partner provider, I have little to do with the organization other than maintaining instructor status and adhering to updated protocols. The programs are well structured.

Great for volunteers

Found the opportunity to be ok. It was good to learn about the non profit organization. Found it to be monotonous. I would recommend this for students looking for work experience.

Poor Leadership

Poor leadership and management; tremendous pressure on one very competent individual on the team. No accountability for very irresponsible staff. Lack of policy and procedures. Poor treatment of staff with high initiative. Lack of criminal record checks for staff or volunteers, bonding, etc. Despite advocating for these things as well as business continuity planning, sustainable practices... nothing. The team even experienced theft over 10, 000 on their Big Bike Project. Would never work for them again. Absolutely no accountability.

You feel great about the work you are doing

You feel great about the work you are doing. By working at Heart & Stroke in fundraising, you are fueling research to help save lives. Vacation time is also a great benefit.

Awesome

I volunteered and loved going there after school. The staff that assisted were very kind. They were always there to help. The people I worked with were very friendly. Would definitely do it again. Highly recommend!

Hard times forced closed offices

The office I managed was closed do to an overall decline is the performance of the entire foundation portfolio. Because our office always met or exceeded fundraising goals they were able to maintain a home office in the area. The job expectation of that home office was not feasible in my opinion and it made it difficult to keep up relationships with local supporters.

Canvassing for them was really easy

I canvassed for them for my community service hours that I needed to graduate high school and it was quick and simple, it felt good knowing that I was benefiting others while pursuing my goals.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Heart & Stroke. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.6 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement