Healthy Planet Canada

Healthy Planet Canada Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
It sucked
It was ok in the beginning but somehow it changed and it was awful, people called in sick all the time and mangers did not care. It was crazy, HR did nothing to help.
Great place to grow!
As far as retail goes, Healthy Planet is one of the best places in Ontario to work. That said, it is retail, and some people will simply never enjoy retail.

The ongoing education provided for Nutritionists/Product Specialists is exceptional, I learned far more simply working there than I ever would have at a continuing education course in nutraceuticals, and was consequently better versed in nutraceuticals than many Naturopathic Doctors I know (and continue to educate them on products). It's advantageous that the education isn't bias, you receive an honest look at all product lines and can guide customers with integrity.

The pay is somewhat higher than other retail positions, but it is still not great, especially considering the cost of living in the GTA. That said, if you are willing to put in full-time hours and show initiative, opportunities to grow within the company will certainly present themselves. There is a great benefits package offered to full-time employees.

Each manager is different. My first manager was amazing--very helpful/supportive, extremely knowledgeable, organized, efficient, and pleasant to be around--I couldn't have asked for a better boss. The second one was not so good...

The atmosphere is calm and work was enjoyable. If you are interested in health, don't mind retail, and want to grow with a company, it might be a great fit for you.
Healthy work environment very fair work schedule. Stress free and easy going management. Love the customer and making difference in people's life. missing my coworder
Growing with the company
It's retail, so let's get that out of the way. If retail isn't for you, this company won't be for you. Pay is by scale and they have introduced benefits for full time employees. They are opening new stores like crazy and if you have the ambition, you can easily grow with them and move ahead.

Locations vary in business and some managers are better than others, but as far as retail jobs go, they're one of the better companies to work for.

Tons of in store product training as well as off hours dinner training from companies.
Pros
Employee discount, benefits (full time only)
Cons
Retail life
great enviorment to work in, always learning
always learning new things especially in nutrition
great employees to work with

management friendly

flexible scheduling

enjoyed interacting with customers and making relationships with the regulars
Read the employment contract very carefully!
I warn anyone who values long term security to read the employment contract very carefully. This company has a habit of terminating it’s employees after they have used them and they only give you one week severance according to ESA. They have a clause in the agreement that you cannot pursue legal action in the event that they wrongfully dismiss you. That would explain why they do not have any policy in place for writing up employees or giving any warning before termination. Once they have used you, you are disposable to them if they feel justified in letting you go. Every policy set in place by this company is with the intention of taking away all of your power and rights to speak up against an oppressive work environment. Do yourself a favour and look for a company that has integrity and values the personal lives of its employees. Truly a terrible company and one that deserves absolutely no respect for its treatment of its employees! Truly sad and remarkable that a company can find loop holes to not be held accountable for injustice imparted upon their employees.
Cons
Come work here if you like being exploited!
If you have a passion for being underpaid and overworked then a career with Healthy Planet may be right for you!

Favouritism runs rampant in this company; management forming cliques with some employees and meting out extra privileges, special treatment of those “in the family”, inconsistent rules and punishment, it makes coming into work every day a nightmare.

Oftentimes the staff is unqualified for the work as wel, as most people who are will refuse to work grieving hours for minimum wage or just above.

A horrible, unethical company that should be shut down.
Extraordinarily unorganized work place.
Typical day at work consists of organizing chaos. Employee positions are ill-defined: it leads to employees doing multiple roles. I did everything from sales associate to operational manager to help out middle management because upper management refused to give us proper support. So be aware; you might be hired for a specific position but they’ll expect you to do all roles for the same pay. This lack of defined roles allows for a lot of miscommunication because nobody knows who their superior truly is. So people who are actually much lower in position than you can appear to have authority over how you work. When in reality you outrank them and they should be following your lead. But that’s the kind of thing that happens within a family-owned business; it becomes hard to direct/reprimand family that works for you.

There’s a lot of micromanaging from upper management to no end. Upper management will create most of the problems you face daily just because they have no foresight. For those in middle management (supervisors/managers) if you’re an organized, practical, straightforward type of individual; this work environment is NOT for you. Upper management often does things that defies logic and puts middle management at odds with their workers and customers. I repeat, you will not get the proper support to run your storefront efficiently but will get blamed for everything that goes wrong. No real training program; you learn things on the fly. If you’re lucky like I was, you’ll have a couple of employees that know what they’re doing to show you the ropes. I find newer staff have
 - more...
Nothing healthy about working here!!!
Horrendous! No company culture. No values and believes. Full of Nepotism and favoritism to the wrong individuals. No training or proper communication. Worked there for five months and was a joke. Schedules not posted in a timely manner and were forever changing due to challenging times and not being able to attract the right talent. Uncooperative upper management, for a small company they simply enjoyed over riding one another making there own executive decisions. No trust in there managers. Always being watched on camera and make them punch in on a clock to ensure you are working your hours. Work more than stipulated hours..no lieu time given. Do yourself the favor and look for other healthier job opportunities as the turnover rate is also very high in this organization.
Pros
Training from vendors...free product to try.
Cons
Management style, and lack of people skills. No work life balance
Not great- bad for mental health
Good coworkers kept me going. Bad management. Poor employee treatment. You are expected to know and do everything at minimum wage. Worked here almost two years - my location was the best out of all of them yet we still had it pretty rough.

Do not work here if you have a choice. If you need the experience - sure but look after yourself this place is draining.
Pros
Training and free products
Cons
Everything else
Great staff, poor management
Everyone from territory manager and up is terrible. There is a ton of nepotism in this company.
Scheduling is always a mess and constantly changing without notifying the staff. You will regularly be asked to come in on days off. You’ll be scheduled for 6 days a week or only one— there’s no in between.

*Would not recommend to anyone*
Pros
Coworkers, free products from training
Cons
Poor scheduling, mistreatment from management, no work-life balance
Do not work here
I worked for this company for 5 months.A typical day at work would be merchandising the shelves even though they were perfectly organized, sometimes cash duties but I was stuck doing merchandising which was entirely boring considering there was no merchandising to be done. The entire time I worked here I felt I wasn't needed as my time was being wasted sorting shelves that didn't need to be sorted, lifting heavy heavy boxes and dealing with disgruntled customers who didn't like the companies policies. I was constantly tired and worked for 7 days straight because someone was on vacation and I had no time to myself.Eventually I started having a few mental breakdowns due to the stress of the job, the other employees, management and customers. I quit and it was the best decision I ever made. I do not recommend this place.
Pros
20% discount
Cons
the entire company
Just Another Company That Exploits Consumers
There is nothing at all "Healthy" about Healthy Planet. While some products are certainly fine to consume unfortunately, the majority of products are actually highly processed which is completely contrary to true Health and Wellness.

While I understand that their business is growing unfortunately, it's mainly due to those consumers who don't take time to do their homework or have basic common sense on how to look after their health.

Everyone including management and employees should be aware that you are playing with people's lives and ultimately you all will be held accountable.

Advice to all employees... take the time to educate yourselves and to truly understand what you are doing working there.
Pros
It's a job
Cons
Too many
Terrible (Cambridge, ON Location)
The WORST company I have ever worked for. Severely understaffed, employees never got proper breaks, would get called in the middle of my break by my manager to come back immediately to “help”, and managers expect you to know what you’re doing as soon as you get there, even though they don’t even properly train you. They also gave me full time hours when I got hired as part time, as I’m a college student and can’t do 40 hours. When trying to explain this to them, they refused to make changes and acted like nothing happened the next day. Quite a few people quit because of Healthy Planet doing illegal things like not giving proper breaks to people like me who worked 8+ hours. When complaining to the HR of Healthy Planet, they pretended to be concerned, but didn’t even make any changes. Everyone I talked to there absolutely hated the place and complained about the unfair employee treatment. All the managers would do is sit in the back room and talk and not help any of us. I wouldn’t recommend anyone to apply here, at least not the Cambridge, ON location.
Pros
Some co-workers were friendly
Cons
Long hours I didn’t get hired for, terrible management, unfair employee treatment, no lunch breaks/breaks in general, minimal training
Productive workplace
A typical day at work requires receiving and organizing orders, merchandising products, answering customer inquiries, taking customer requests and assisting customers with products.
Pros
Free products from training.
Cons
Sometimes longer hours are required for little incentive and compensation.
Typical Day at work
A typical day at work included assisting the purchasing manager. My desk was located right next to his. He placed the orders and I reviewed them to make sure the numbers added up and were correct. I often had to deal with our suppliers by phone or email, and often face-to-face. If an order was flawed, I had to correct it. I had a great deal of responsibility placed on me. Overall, it was fun and I learned a lot from my time at Healthy Planet. My co-workers were excellent and professional. The hardest part of the job was sitting in one place the whole time somedays and the most enjoyable was the free gifts. I learned:

Client-Supplier relations