Health Sciences North Employee Reviews

low staffing/ work short
Operating Room Nurse (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON2 February 2019
Our hospital is very low staffed and barely have any beds available for our patients. Our unit is constantly working short staffed and management does not feel as though they need to do anything about it, even after continuously voicing our concerns every week. A lot of staff have left our unit. I absolutely love the health staff i work with and we try to stay positive however its becoming very difficult.
Pros
Amazing health care staff
Cons
management, working short, never get time off, no beds available in hospital to put patients.
Was a great place to work for many years but financial pressures have deteriorated the quality of worklife.
Seating Mobility Technician (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON9 December 2018
The health care sector as a whole is a very difficult and high pressure environment. Government funding has prevented us from offering the level of care that people need. My position of 34 years was eliminated, causing a forced early retirement.
Pros
Great people to work with
Cons
Chronic underfunding and poor management
Meeting the challenges of a changing work day
Desktop Support Information Technologist (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON26 July 2018
Meeting the needs of a fast paced work place. Computers are needed for the staff to do their job. Repairing and keeping the equipment needed in top shape is what I do. We have staff that know we don't break them we fix them and they are always happy to see us respond to their needs.
Negative
Medical Records Clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON8 July 2018
Too many managers, not enough staff. Always short staffed... I believe a good working environment starts from the top and unfortunately Medical Records at HSN was a negative environment to work in. I felt like a number, and that I didn't mean anything, especially for the work I put in. We always got told what we did wrong, and not even a thank you or good job for the work completed. Christmas time - nothing! Our managers are on the sunshine list making over 100k/year, and we can't even get a Merry Christmas? If I was to go back to HSN, it definitely wouldn't be in the medical records department!
Pros
pension
Cons
poor management
Poor
Regular Full-Time Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON20 June 2018
Fast paced, budget focused as opposed to patient centred care. Staff is great to work with, physicians are improving. Management needs to listen to front line staff.
Fun place to work
Human Resources Field Placement (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 June 2018
Excellent place to work and room for advancement, or new opportunities. Great pension plan with HOOP. Days are usually pretty busy and the work is constant.
Pros
Cons
work overload
Stressful workplace but good people
MANAGER OF HOUSEKEEPING (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON7 May 2018
The hospital can be a difficult place to work due to pressures created by operating constantly at overcapacity. It is full of some great people, however, doing their best with what they have to optimize the delivery of services to the community.
Pros
Good people looking to make a difference
Cons
Too much demand on too few resources
Productive, Efficient, Exciting, challenging and Encouraging team members,
Clerical Typist (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 April 2018
Fast Paste Working Environment
- Encouraging & Friendly Team Members
- I had the opportunity of learning how to perform registration management, and all the basic clerical duties that is provided with this Job Title.
Pros
Fantastic Team to work with
Cons
Long Night Shift Hours- During quiet Hours
Great job
Laboratory Clerk Typist (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON14 January 2018
Great place to work but takes years to get full time. Parking is expensive and no free options. Good culture and lots of perks and community business discounts.
Pros
Good salary
great place to work
Technologist (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON1 August 2017
Great work opportunity for someone looking to build experience in a friendly environment. Great city for raising children and having a work/family balance.
Friendly Staff and Fun Work Environment
Student (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON12 June 2017
I am currently completing my placement with HSN until June 30, 2017. To date, I have learned about the software they use and I've learned that the employees there are very welcoming and happy to offer a helping hand to new employees/students.
Great Place to Work
Ward Clerk - Emergency Services (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON8 June 2017
Ideal place to work, great coworkers, positive work environment, challenging at times but all in all a solid place to work. Ideal for New Graduates Nurses to start working, however may be limited in advancements.
Professional fun environment
Payroll Clerk placement (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON31 January 2017
Was a great environment and wonderful staff to work with, always available for questions regarding payroll...was only there for my placement for payroll clerk.
Pros
Always busy
Great Place to Learn and Grow
Withdrawal Management Service Worker (Casual) (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON28 September 2016
HSN is a great place to learn and grow There are a number of jobs and services that are intended to help the community and explore different avenues. Love this job!
Amazing coworkers and fun environment
Track & Field Coach (Current Employee) –  Sudbury, ON21 September 2016
I learned amazing things form working with BALANCE. I learned to organize prepare and provide lesson plans for these kids. I was happy to make sure they all were provided with the best care possible.
Withdrawal Management Service Worker (Former Employee) –  336 Pine Street, Sudbury, Ontario3 July 2016
Withdrawal Management Service Worker
- assess and assist clients so they will get a safe and dignified withdrawal.
- assist with appropriate referrals
Pros
Working with people
Cons
Twelve hour shifts. Dayshift 7:30AM-7:30PM, Nightshift 7:30PM-7:30AM
Very good renumeration clerk positions
HSN- Registration clerk (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON25 April 2016
I really enjoyed working at the hospital. Loved interacting with clients and their families.

Not a morning person, difficult to get up at 4 30am to be at work for 5 45am.

Enjoyed the variety of work and faced pace environment.

I unfortunately got bumped out of my temporary position in the heart failure dept and then transferred to registration.
Cons
Takes several years to beome full-time
Innovative north eastern referral & reserach centre
Perioperative Equipment & Supply Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON19 April 2016
Progressive teaching & research centre connected with our local medical school.
Fun place to work with many good people whose goal is 'best patient care'.
Pros
Small town comarderie
Sudbury hospital
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON13 March 2016
I did all my critical care placements at HSN. I'm grateful to all the experience I had at that hospital. I get to see and learn what is really like to work in a hospital environment. On each floor, I get to practice the skills I've learned in class and use my critical thinking to make decisions independantly for the best of my patients. I had great teachers who were extremely strict and learned a lot about time management and responsibility. Overall I will never forget both the good and bad experience, because they all helped me to become a better nurse.
Fast paced and demanding
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Greater Sudbury, ON17 December 2015
A very fast paced, demanding but educational, diverse and gratifying environment . Nursing staff was amazing and wonderful bonds and respect was earned and given. We felt important and we were treated as such. We gained respect of our senior staff and the valuable asset we made to them. ALL of the patient needs were met and exceeded, there was no rush and proper care was given. Injuries/hazards,spread of illness,skin breakdowns, were reduced with close hands on monitoring of our patients in our care with more hands on deck. (Hospitals should employee PSW's to alleviate pressure off nursing staff, help in ADL's of patients, help decrease "return" trips to hospitals and to obtain patient goals of returning and preparedness once home. I believe with more PSW's on the specific units assisting with transitional care, ALC patients, post-operative patients,there is a decrease in preventable "issues" that commonly arise)
Pros
Knowledge and continual learning