Health Sciences Centre Pay & Benefits reviews

At times good. At times not so good.
Patrol officer (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 September 2019
Good job at times. But not always, pay was fair but could be a bit better.

Biggest problem is the amount of micromanagement, and some super toxic co-workers. (Some coworkers were great) They really like to nitpick around there. Probably due to the 5 levels of management.

Can be quite boring, but also has some shifts that are super busy. Some calls can be dangerous dealing with the unstable people around there.

12 hour shifts were not good. At least most of them switched at 6 hours. Excessive amounts of walking some shifts you would be walking for 10 hours. Then have to repeat that the next day. And even after completing your patrols management would still expect you walk yourself into the ground.

Lunches were paid at least because most often they were interrupted by calls, except for night shift.

Parking is of course awful around there so expect to bus or pay a ton for parking.
Pros
Paid lunches, good uniforms
Cons
Micromanaged, stressful, excessive walking, dangerous patrons
Growded some places / units
Nursing Assistant (Current Employee) –  HSC7 February 2019
Most of the day in my unit always busy lots of family members comming in and out with the patients, its look like growded market, its make me tired after working hours and sometime hard to deal to people over the phone calls eventhought the phone is not necessary on your unit. And onething i concern is the parking its really expensive no kidding i cant afford to pay the parking $110 a month and 1,320 for year. I will sudgest if you really dont need to drive dont bring your car and if you leave closed down there your lucky. Noted: if you find parking in the street your life is in danger because is not very good area to park as well.
Pros
Learning lots
Cons
Long hours feel tired
Benefits are good, but expectations are unrealistic
Research Assistant/Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 August 2018
While working at HSC, I found the overall experience to be average. Sometimes I would have to stay well beyond normal expectations and come in at unreasonable hours. It was not my fault work wasn't completed, so why do I have to do it? The bosses/management were sometimes difficult to deal with.
Pros
good benefits package
Love it and hate it!
ER Trauma Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 July 2018
Love that it is a large hospital and you have the opportunity to move around to different departments to expand your skill set and grow professionally. Its a teaching hospital, so there are always courses and people eager to teach. I like the diverse demographic culture amongst staff and patients. It has ok benefits, the Union rocks! On the other had staff can be very cliquish and immature - love to gossip! Management is superficial and doesn't always have your best interest. They also the exhibit blatant favouritism. HR is a joke/disaster, if they are not alway messing up on your pay cheque (short changing you on your overtime), they are losing or making mistakes on important documents like ROE for maternity leave delaying your income!
Pallister Government turned the whole healthcare system upside down! Thus, causing a lot of people to be bumped or given pink slips from Management to Nurse assistants!
I left! Not worth the drama!
Pros
Teaching Hospital! You will learn a lot
Cons
Staff very cliquish! They love to gossip. Management - UGH!
great workplace
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2017
enjoying work with co-workers and manager

learning more about transcription

typical day is non-stop transcription in-between breaks

multicultural workplace
Pros
benifits
good place to work for
Health Care Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2016
typical day at work are always busy, i have learned so much from my preceptors and co-workers, they have a good management the hardest part of the job are seeing the elder people in and out of the unit, some of them get better and most of them stayed longer due to illness. the most enjoyable part of working there are long hours of breaks and the friendly people and co-workers
Pros
free lunches sometimes
Cons
Surgery: Time is of the essence..
RNBN General Duty Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2013
I loved this unit. It was my first nursing job and once again I was part of a great team, which made even a hectic day worth coming back. I used every skill that I had learned in Nursing school, it was perfect for a new grad. I was caring for individuals of all ages from minor/major burns to radical head and neck reconstructive surgery. The hardest part of my job was lack of breaks and staying overtime all the time. We had CRN's (Clinical Resource Nurses) that we could go to if we were not sure about something regarding our patient. The most enjoyable part of my job was wound care. I loved doing dressing changes and teaching my patients about preventing infection and how to care for it once they are discharged.
Pros
great team of girls that i worked with. great salary/benefits. fun atmosphere.
Cons
lack of breaks, staying overtime most shifts, less approachable management.