Health Sciences Centre

Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Canada71 reviews
Normal
The Manager from HR Office interview , about my self, about the job, the work is a team work. if I have difficult, what I will do during working time. I am always punctual,and a had working person. If I am sick I will always call ahead of time. I am a respectful person and I am always ready to give help to my coworkers when needed.
-Th typical day was not bad, I learn many thing, Management also was Okay with me.

-Workplace Culture we are a lot of people different culture.

-The hardest part of the job, was If I sign the the sit to work, my Coworker late to come, that was most hardest for me.

-The most enjoyable part of the job, was if I was busy I see the time going fast.

-Health Science Center was best place for work, and enjoyable place
productive, well-communicated work life
Busy and fast paced health facility that allowed room to seek growth opportunities. Management was good an very understanding and work ethic was great
HSC is amazing
Great place to work, the union was amazing, I miss it everyday! Pension and benefits were a great, and you could always work as much as you wanted! My boss was also great!
Overall good experience
Stressful but enjoyable most of the times. Gained large amount of knowledge. Sense of satisfaction when you see patient health improve after treatment or two. Manager was extremely supportive.
overworked
overworked and underpaid.
i like the experiences i gained there but it was tough place to work.

i hurt myself on the floor.

staff were great and i made life long friendship in that hospital
Good place yo work
Job itself is good. Managers are spread too thin and therefore not very available. The union really does nothing for you except take your money. Healthcare cuts have been hard.
Pros
Great docs and nurses to work with
Cons
Lousy Union and too much bureaucracy.
Great Learning Experience
I volunteered in the gift shop and flower shop, occasionally you go around the hospital to deliver flowers and mail. It's a great place to start volunteering and gain work experience. They train you well and it has a slower paced environment which leaves a lot of time for learning and asking questions. The staff is also really friendly and understanding of students' schedules.
Engaging and cooperative work experience.
I was a retail volunteer at HSC for almost a year. The managers and other volunteers were all very friendly and extremely helpful. The environment is very relaxed, but also very professional. I received plenty of training and work experience from this opportunity. I would definitely come back again!
Great Workplace with Opportunity for Advancement
Great work atmosphere. Co-workers are friendly and provide a family like environment. For the work you're doing, the pay is great. Lots of opportunity to pick up hours or full and part time positions.
Job can be challenging when short staffed, but management it great about calling in casuals and sending in help.
Best volunteering experience
It is a fun place to work. my supervisors are very helpful to me. I learnt a lot from them first is time management better communication skill and most important is how to give an exceptional customer service.
At times good. At times not so good.
Good job at times. But not always, pay was fair but could be a bit better.

Biggest problem is the amount of micromanagement, and some super toxic co-workers. (Some coworkers were great) They really like to nitpick around there. Probably due to the 5 levels of management.

Can be quite boring, but also has some shifts that are super busy. Some calls can be dangerous dealing with the unstable people around there.

12 hour shifts were not good. At least most of them switched at 6 hours. Excessive amounts of walking some shifts you would be walking for 10 hours. Then have to repeat that the next day. And even after completing your patrols management would still expect you walk yourself into the ground.

Lunches were paid at least because most often they were interrupted by calls, except for night shift.

Parking is of course awful around there so expect to bus or pay a ton for parking.
Pros
Paid lunches, good uniforms
Cons
Micromanaged, stressful, excessive walking, dangerous patrons
most enjoyable
the people I work with and the patients I get to meet every day!
and because I have both certificates I have choices in applying for positions.

The Dr's I work with are all amazing to work for!
Cons
cafeteria expensive and no variety
hard place to be a student but very rewarding
jump right in to learning at this hospital. People will help you but they expect you to learn fast and work hard. Important to learn how to work as a team, as a student, and eventually learn how to work by yourself. Rewarding experience overall.
Challenging work environment, Friendly people, good health benefits
I have always enjoyed working here, but Health care changes are making job security and enjoyment harder these days. I enjoy interacting with patients and their families.
Growded some places / units
Most of the day in my unit always busy lots of family members comming in and out with the patients, its look like growded market, its make me tired after working hours and sometime hard to deal to people over the phone calls eventhought the phone is not necessary on your unit. And onething i concern is the parking its really expensive no kidding i cant afford to pay the parking $110 a month and 1,320 for year. I will sudgest if you really dont need to drive dont bring your car and if you leave closed down there your lucky. Noted: if you find parking in the street your life is in danger because is not very good area to park as well.
Pros
Learning lots
Cons
Long hours feel tired
Higher level security with one of a kind experience and opportunities for law enforcement advancement
Security at the HSC is like no other, meaning there are easy days and some days where you're running to calls to deal with violent emergencies. Guards need a considerable amount of caution and diligence in dealing with individuals as sometimes being physically hands on is necessary as to protect the livelihood of others or until police arrive.
Pros
Week off every month, good union
Cons
Long hours, negativity among coworkers towards mgt
It was very fun and efficient work place
I really loved working in that facility.Eventough it is the largest and busiest hospital in Manitoba ,the working environment,staffs especially doctors and nurses and supervisors made the work place a stress free zone for everyone.so much to learn everyday .And I was so surprised to see the staff and doctors working with a smiling face always even in a very worse ,hectic and stressful day.
Benefits are good, but expectations are unrealistic
While working at HSC, I found the overall experience to be average. Sometimes I would have to stay well beyond normal expectations and come in at unreasonable hours. It was not my fault work wasn't completed, so why do I have to do it? The bosses/management were sometimes difficult to deal with.
Pros
good benefits package
Love it and hate it!
Love that it is a large hospital and you have the opportunity to move around to different departments to expand your skill set and grow professionally. Its a teaching hospital, so there are always courses and people eager to teach. I like the diverse demographic culture amongst staff and patients. It has ok benefits, the Union rocks! On the other had staff can be very cliquish and immature - love to gossip! Management is superficial and doesn't always have your best interest. They also the exhibit blatant favouritism. HR is a joke/disaster, if they are not alway messing up on your pay cheque (short changing you on your overtime), they are losing or making mistakes on important documents like ROE for maternity leave delaying your income!
Pallister Government turned the whole healthcare system upside down! Thus, causing a lot of people to be bumped or given pink slips from Management to Nurse assistants!

I left! Not worth the drama!
Pros
Teaching Hospital! You will learn a lot
Cons
Staff very cliquish! They love to gossip. Management - UGH!
Good experience for short term stepping stone
Great place to gain experience for short term stepping stones into law enforcement. Busy place with high amounts of violence and potential for violence which make it an always growing learning opportunity to get really good at your role.
Pros
Staff- Great to work with
Cons
Management- Have never been on the floor to actually fully understand what we do
Only leaving for relocation. After 26 years, I would love to stay but need to move to another area of the province.
I will definitely miss my coworkers!!