Health Sciences Centre Employee Reviews

Love it and hate it!
ER Trauma Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 July 2018
Love that it is a large hospital and you have the opportunity to move around to different departments to expand your skill set and grow professionally. Its a teaching hospital, so there are always courses and people eager to teach. I like the diverse demographic culture amongst staff and patients. It has ok benefits, the Union rocks! On the other had staff can be very cliquish and immature - love to gossip! Management is superficial and doesn't always have your best interest. They also the exhibit blatant favouritism. HR is a joke/disaster, if they are not alway messing up on your pay cheque (short changing you on your overtime), they are losing or making mistakes on important documents like ROE for maternity leave delaying your income!
Pallister Government turned the whole healthcare system upside down! Thus, causing a lot of people to be bumped or given pink slips from Management to Nurse assistants!
I left! Not worth the drama!
Pros
Teaching Hospital! You will learn a lot
Cons
Staff very cliquish! They love to gossip. Management - UGH!
Higher level security with one of a kind experience and opportunities for law enforcement advancement
Patrol Officer (Security) (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 November 2018
Security at the HSC is like no other, meaning there are easy days and some days where you're running to calls to deal with violent emergencies. Guards need a considerable amount of caution and diligence in dealing with individuals as sometimes being physically hands on is necessary as to protect the livelihood of others or until police arrive.
Pros
Week off every month, good union
Cons
Long hours, negativity among coworkers towards mgt
Challenging and extremely rewarding work. I very much enjoyed being a H. S. C. employee.
Unit Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB10 April 2018
The most enjoyable part of my experience working at H.S.C. was the appreciation that the patients and tjeir families had. Further, the great attitudes and spirits of the patients that I had worked with made every single day so incredibly pleasant & enjoyable!
Pros
I loved wearing scrubs to work every day!
Cons
Having to work shift work as a parent was extremely difficult for my child.
Surgery: Time is of the essence..
RNBN General Duty Nurse (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB20 April 2013
I loved this unit. It was my first nursing job and once again I was part of a great team, which made even a hectic day worth coming back. I used every skill that I had learned in Nursing school, it was perfect for a new grad. I was caring for individuals of all ages from minor/major burns to radical head and neck reconstructive surgery. The hardest part of my job was lack of breaks and staying overtime all the time. We had CRN's (Clinical Resource Nurses) that we could go to if we were not sure about something regarding our patient. The most enjoyable part of my job was wound care. I loved doing dressing changes and teaching my patients about preventing infection and how to care for it once they are discharged.
Pros
great team of girls that i worked with. great salary/benefits. fun atmosphere.
Cons
lack of breaks, staying overtime most shifts, less approachable management.
A tertiary hospital that has all its high technology equipments.
General Duty Hemodialysis Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hemodialysis Unit16 June 2014
A tertiary and trauma hospital that cares and treats patients that has the most needs.
Working in the hemodialysis unit gave me the opportunity to worked with multi-cultural group of people.
I learned the different values and cultures of each patients ethnicity.
Work has been easy and enjoyable, but at times busy and hard when dealing with difficult patients and co workers and the lack of support from the management.
Pros
in service classes
Cons
staff/lunch rooms not provided
Booking Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB26 April 2018
Only leaving for relocation. After 26 years, I would love to stay but need to move to another area of the province.
I will definitely miss my coworkers!!
Important and busy place to work.
Dietary Aide (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB24 November 2017
Typical day was being prepared with clean uniform and hairnet. Enjoyed serving customers and staff. Management was always available if you had any questions. Hardest part of job was those early morning shifts. The most enjoyable part of job was coming in to work to familiar faces.
Pros
Met nice people
Nice place
Visiting Research Fellow (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,Manitoba Canada14 December 2017
Great place to work, the people are friendly but also competitive.
The environment is very cold, the lab I worked is very resourceful. The place was an eye-opener for me in terms of cutting-edge research.
Pros
Friendly people
Good work enviroment
Health Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 November 2017
Expect stress on the job as you work in a trauma hospital setting, good support from staff. Great hospital for long term career goals. Learning was constant but rewarding.
Pros
Government facility with union job protection
Cons
Parking for staff is expensive
Fosters growth.
Employment Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Pearl street20 February 2018
Fosters growth. This seems like a super unnecessary thing for someone just trying to use Indeed as a means to find another job. Why are you asking people to rate their previous employers?
Pros
Fosters growth
Cons
whatever
A great place for a healthcare professional to work at.
Nurse II (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB4 November 2013
A typical day at work would be to get information about your assignment, get report, look in on your patients, take vitals, perform assessments, give medications, provide planned care, advocate on behalf of your patients, answer questions or concerns that patients and their family have, follow up on blood and labwork, assist other healthcare professionals with required procedures, chart information on patients, admit, transfer, or discharge patients, do patient teaching, train new employees, and ensure that any care concerns are passed on to other team members before shift end. I learned from working in this position that it is a collaborative and team effort to care for patients. Coworkers can help ease some of the burdens of the implicated tasks, and they also contribute to the work culture that we work in. The hardest part of the job is that we are forever thrown in the path of watching patients suffer in their disease process or medical condition, and/or watching our patients die. The most enjoyable part of the job is to see a patient progress to health and eventually be discharged from the ward.
Pros
The profession makes a difference in people's lives.
Cons
The job role is very specific and has little room for career advancement.
hscc
Assistant/Helper (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB9 July 2013
*Meet with co-workers to talk about what happened with the patients the previous shift*
First bathe & change patients
Next get the breakfast trays and hand them out, also if patients need help eating assist them.
After everyone is done eating pick up the trays and then record the input and output.
*Arrange breaks with your employees*
*Also during all times of the day check to see if the laundry needs to be emptied*
Emptying the patients foleys and record how much out take there was.
The most enjoyable part of the job was getting to know the patients and getting to talk with them and learn about them.
I learned how to work in a fast paced environment and to be open about people`s advice to help me improve myself. It was a very enjoyable experience for me.
Pros
good breaks, friendly co-workers
Cons
sometimes very long hours
Supportive environment
Clinical Research Nurse Cardiology (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB29 November 2016
Job security an unknown as it is very dependent on research projects. People are great to work with. Very dynamic work area with good learning opportunities.
Pros
Knowledgeable staff
Cons
Long hours-job security
decent place to work
Supervisor - Orthopaedic Technology Services (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg,Manitoba12 September 2017
I worked with a good bunch of people, We learned a lot of technical skills and at this time I had a great manger who promoted initiative and growth. t this time everyday presented new challenges
Pros
Dealing with all types of people
Cons
Long HoursI
over all it was difficalt for getting hours
Cleaning Aide (Former Employee) –  wpg mb4 May 2017
I was casual.so even though the pay it self is good if you dont get any hours then your at square one. there for any room for advancement is not there and trying to get even pt work it very difficult. you really cant move up in the system it self.
Pros
No pro's at the cleaning end.
Cons
no hours.
Fantastic place to work great team work
Unit Clerk (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg Manitoba25 August 2015
Working as a Unit clerk in the MICU was very rewarding. Everyday was a learning experience. At times it could be intense but I thrive in stressful situations. I am able to handle all kinds of emergencies. Management was there for us and encouraging. My coworkers were wonderful. We were like one big family; working together as a team. The hardest part of the job for me was when a patient was dying; the family. Watching the family was tough. I enjoyed all aspects of my job. The doctors and nurses were wonderful.
productive
Unit Supply Clerk (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB11 August 2017
overall good place to work even it's consistently busy...Management is very considerate when it comes to family matters...equal opportunity employer.......
Pros
Good management
Cons
pushing hard when busy time
great workplace
Medical Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB7 April 2017
enjoying work with co-workers and manager

learning more about transcription

typical day is non-stop transcription in-between breaks

multicultural workplace
Pros
benifits
A fun learning experience
Gift Shop Attendant (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 April 2016
It's very easygoing at the Health Sciences Centre Gift Shop. A typical day for me would include operating the cash register, selling lottery products, counting magazines that will be returned, re-stocking the shelves, answering customers' questions, and a little bit of cleaning/organizing. I have learned how to handle cash and assist customers properly, what to do in the event of a theft, and how to behave when there is an extremely upset customer. My co-workers are incredibly friendly and easy to talk to. We all are very co-operative and productive when we work together. The hardest part of the job would have to be lifting heavy boxes, but everything else is very enjoyable. I truly enjoy interacting with the other volunteers in the shop, even the supervisor.
Great place to learn
Registered Nurse (RN) (Current Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB2 June 2016
Always plenty of learning opportunities and chances to advance your nursing career. Highly recommend it to anyone looking to challenge themselves.