Health Canada Management reviews

Professional Laboratory
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 January 2019
A well organized laboratory that complies with strict quality management principles. Good work-life balance and friendly coworkers. A job that makes you feel good about serving the public of Canada.
Exciting and rewarding opportunity
Consumer Product Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Exciting opporunity but the contract was short. Not enough support from colleaugues. Co-workers kept to themselves and management didnt give a hoot about your long-term success.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Short contract
Great minds, great people
Chemical Toxicological Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2018
Department promoted a healthy workspace. Flexible deadlines made the work term stress-free and allowed for quality deliverables. Management was highly receptive to employee input.
na
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
short consulting gig so can't comment more than that. Work ethics were good for the management. Some staff was qualified as well. Good turnaround time for inquiries.
Contract
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
I was paid very well to create a document for them with findings. I worked closely with management to produce something they wanted. I got paid a lot of money to basically copy and paste different studies into one document and make it cohesive.
Pros
nice pay
Cons
working from home
Great co-workers
Sr. Financial Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2017
Was a very empowering environment and great management. I enjoyed my work there
There was a strong teamplayer presence. The DG was a female and took pride in empowering her employees, both genders.
Various locations that are easy to get to
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
A friendly environment with friendly co-workers who are willing to give a helping hand when needed. Management was helpful and offered advice when necessary.
Productive workplace
Executive AssistantAs-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
productive and fun workplace
Continually learning new aspects and information
Management is very friendly and wiling to help
develop multiple skills right from the beginning
Pros
flexibility
Cons
I wish this job was permanent.
Amazing work environment
Administrative Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 December 2016
Working for Health Canada has been amazing the team I work with is a great group all very friendly and willing to help.
Management is very friendly and wiling to help with advancement when possible.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
N/a
Morning routine
Executive Assistant- AS01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 September 2016
In the morning, I print out my director's calendar, prepare her binders for the day. My co-workers are awesome and I enjoy working with all of them. The management are very understanding and encourage our evolution and encourage to aim for our goals.
Miss working here so much
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 August 2016
The management was amazing and I was sad when my contract ended. I would love to go back. People were good to me there. I wish this job was permanent. Overall I was happy here and the job was good
Pros
I was always busy, I got let go early and paid for the full day a few times
Program Manager / Policy Analyst
Strategic Planning and Policy Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2016
This Department provides the opportunity to work on issues that directly affect the Health of Canadians. The management is structured and efficient. Great work location.
Pros
Great co-workers with similar values.
Had pros and cons. I stayed there for 23 years.
Secretary to the Regional Nursing Officer (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB28 November 2015
Good co-workers. Management was 50/50. After 23 years it was time to move on and see what another department was like.

It was good to have the opportunity to work in various units to gain different experiences.
Good job security
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON26 November 2015
My time as a civil servant with the Government of Canada was one with several highs and lows. I did have the pleasure to finish my time with Health Canada working for a great manager but the hardest part of the job was the constant turnover in management which lead to an unstable work environment. The was also rampant nepotism that created a workplace environment that was not enjoyable and ultimately was the reason I choose to leave this job.
Pros
Decent pay with great benifits
Cons
Poor working environment
It's Government!!
Travel Programs Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, Ontario10 September 2015
I have been working for Health Canada for close to 16yrs. This is one of the largest departments of the Federal Government. I am very fortunate to work for the Travel Management Directorate mostly because of my team and my fantastic boss. It's a great group of people. We face many challenges guiding employees on the policies that constantly change.....or their interpretations.....surrounding travel and event planning.
Pros
Great Boss
Cons
No room for advancement
Great learning experience and work culture!
Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS1 September 2015
Typical day: check e-mail for reports and meetings, draft letter to recipients, preparing mail outs, tracking finance's in Excel, upgrading the training manuel, answering phone inquires, scanning and digitizing files, creating new files, keep database's up to date, working on projects.

The Management was fantastic, they encouraged you to develop your skills, take workshops and support your growth in the office or whereever that may take you. They make it a very positive environment.

The most enjoyable part of the job is definitely the people I work with. Everyone is very supportive and is willing to help each other out. We are a small team so we really rely on each other.

I have learned a lot about the government and how it works. The division I work in, I did not have any previous experience with so was very new to the information. It was a lot to take in but was well worth it. The work done in this office affects a lot of Canadians and I get to be part of that team.
Pros
Flexible with hours
Cons
Short Contracts
Over worked, under paid
Benefits Analyst (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 August 2015
This office was task oriented. They relied on the daily and weekly numbers, and they needed their production line to move as fast and produce as much as possible regardless of the employees abilities
Pros
Typical Office
Cons
High Expectations with no resources
Great office to work in - friendly environment to work in.
Administrative Assistant (CR-05) (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON29 May 2015
The days go by pretty fast as it is an extremely busy position. I learn new things everyday. Management and co-workers are friendly and supportive of all employees. I enjoy working in this position as it definitely keeps you on your toes.
Enriching, stabilizing, and joyful work environment
Senior Program Support (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON19 February 2015
My job as Senior Program Support at Health Canada has been both enriching and stabilizing. My co-workers and management have helped to create a healthy environment, in which I feel safe to ask for any assistance when needed - this ensures maximum results in my workmanship and has allowed me to cultivate many essential skills, such as organization, communication, and overall thirst for knowledge.
great work environment.
Junior Administrative Services Assistant (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 January 2015
I really enjoyed working at Health Canada. I worked in the mailroom and I found it great because I would always have different things to do. It was never repetitive. I learned a lot there as well by assisting with security, doing data entry for both fleet management and our facilities unit and being in charge of re-directing any calls towards building maintenance, security issues, etc. I liked working in the mailroom because it allowed me to deliver mail throughout all floors and units of our office and familiarize myself with co-worker and managers in each unit. My supervisor while working in the mailroom was the greatest supervisor I ever had because she would come by the mailroom every morning to make sure everything was going great and would always be on top of things if we had any concerns needed to be addressed. The one thing I did not enjoy about this job is that I was a term, and after over 3 years with the department I was laid off due to budget cuts. There is also a hiring freeze within the federal government for term employees which did not allow me to be rolled over into a permanent position.
Pros
Great unit, stress-free environment, reasonable hours.
Cons
Was laid off after over 3 years with the department as a term.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Health Canada. Our community is ready to answer.