Health Canada

Working at Health Canada: Latest Health Canada Reviews

Canada134 reviews

governmenthealthdepartmentcoworkersteambalancelearningopportunity

Excellent Job work-life balance

Excellent Job work-life balance, good Salary/Benefits and thoughtful Management. Work based on science and integrity. Very positive and healthy environment

Toxic work environment

It was a toxic work environment and I would not recommend it. Staff is either related or neighbour or friends. Outsiders are not treated the same. Never work there again

Insights into Health Canada

What people like
  • Inclusive work environment
  • Clear sense of purpose
  • Ability to learn new things

Relaxed environment, okay pay for comparison in private.

Great place to work in, hard to advance if you have no French. If you are fluent in French, possibilities are limitless. People will be chosen for promotion based on language requirements instead of experience.

Pros

Relaxed, work life balance, benefits, pensions, good pay, vacation.

Cons

Requires French.

Satisfying work and well compensated

A good but short experience. There were opportunities for advancement and nice people to work with. Ottawa Tunny’s Pasture location was convenient. I would return if another opportunity arose.

Amazing place with amazing people

Such a wonderfully collaborative environment with people who really care about your career development. Definitely would recommend to a friend. Offer language training if you ask for it

Bureaucracy

There are a lot of good people but you have to get used to the bureaucratic culture. It's the government, so this is probably always the case. If you you find a good team you will enjoy the work.

Steady paycheck at the cost of your brain cells

It's a government job. Sometimes so many things happen at once (media request, director's ad-hoc request, stakeholder queries, etc.) that you are overwhelmed at work and want to quit, and sometimes things are so slow that you want to quit due to boredom. There is almost no in between. It is what it is.

Pros

Steady paycheck with clear wage progression, Coworkers and supervisors tend to be nice and helpful most of the time, Okay work-life balance within the context of a work week (one work day could vary based on workload)

Cons

Compensation package could be low (no signing bonus nor stock options), Have to pick up the slack of other coworkers sometimes, Work can get intervened too much with too many stakeholders

Slow and heavy system

The federal government is a very conservative environmemt and not open to innovation. Procedures and ways of doing should be more practical and easy to follow.

Benefits

Cons

Slow and heavy

Great pay and benefits.

Management, as with all Federal Government Departments, plays favorites even if they say they don’t. Staff take extra long “smoke” breaks multiple times per day in addition to the already allotted Paid 15 minutes mandatory breaks and lunch Break. Staff constantly are late or have extra long lunches and are never held accountable. Training is non-existent and nepotism continues to flourish despite the government’s efforts to make a more fair and transparent hiring process

Pros

Excellent pay and benefits once permanent, great work life balance

Cons

Lazy entitled staff, office politics, favortism, hard to get permanent job, inconsistent objectives

Be prepared

Ineffective and malfunctioning pay system that no one cares to deal with leads to stress, lost hours and, most crucially, dollars. Your dollars. The employee shouldn't have to pay for Phoenix's mistakes, and yet we still are. Shameful and disheartening. This place has turned into a high-stress embarrassment. Good luck.

Super great place to work

I loved working there every day. Management was extremely friend and helpful. Co-workers were willing to provide me with help if I didn't understand my duties and I was paid extremely well.

Benefits

Cons

Sitting for long hours

I worked in licensing

It was a VERY stressful, toxic and competitive environment, supervisor was inexperienced in role and therefore incompetent on so many levels. There was extreme nepotism, shady hiring practices as well as loose, ever changing and at times non existant SOP’s.

Professional and Relaxed work environment

Able to concentrate on your job as nobody comes to distract you or talk with you. When the work is done then small groups get acquainted and discuss better ways on making the work more efficient. They appreciate their workers and protect them when needed.

I am retired at 15 years because of the government Phoenix payroll

I have no problem with health Canada. It was a good career and very professional atmosphere. They gave me a lot of time for volunteering and different job opportunities.

Relaxing stress free but time management environment

I found health canada is an important Department where employee feel secure under best management team. work place culture is respectful. Growth for learning is excellent .

It is a wonderful place to work!

I am an independent mental health counsellor. As I have moved to a rural area, I receive few referrals. I find the Health Canada staff that I have dealt with to be competent and professional.

Productive work place- Health Canada

It was a pleasure to work with Health Canada/Sante Canada. Staffs were friendly helped in learning new tasks. Everyone in the team collaborated to fix when difficulty arises in work assignments

Very productive fast paced work

I enjoyed my time as a casual clerk. It was a memorable employment experience. I answered calls, booked appointments and made all travel arrangements.

Amazing place to work

If you are ready to work hard, put in the effort, quick to grasp concepts and pay attention to detail as well as a great team player, Health Canada is the place for you.

Hard working but well balanced

The environment consisted of had working but well balanced kind individuals. Health Canada has a great reputation as an employer and I agree. I would highly recommend working here.

It's government

Pretty much what you expect at the government. Slow-paced, pretty relaxed, people are cool but mostly old. Great benefits and experience, can't go wrong working in government

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Health Canada. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.5 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement