Health Canada Employee Reviews

Very demanding, but Iam learning a lot about helpdesk, and customer service.
Senior Network Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 March 2019
Employees do not work for Health Canada directly. They work under contract for a placement agency for almost minimum wage. The new Canadians are taken advantage of. It's almost a human rights violation.
Pros
Great place to learn customer service.
Cons
Terrible working conditions.
It is fine
Program Officer (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON10 February 2019
Good work environment. Great team. It is a very busy group but the team makes it a great place to work. Management always available. Overall, good place to work
Professional Laboratory
Analyst (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON24 January 2019
A well organized laboratory that complies with strict quality management principles. Good work-life balance and friendly coworkers. A job that makes you feel good about serving the public of Canada.
Environment ouvert
"Contractor " (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON13 January 2019
personnes aimable, travail en équipe, environment sécuritaire
Pros
plusieurs avantages
Interesting Position
Call Center Agent (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON15 December 2018
It is my first time working at Health Canada.

I have also learned a lot in a few month with my new position. I work for ISC, Indigenous Services Canada as a Call Center Agent, completing request all day while listening to the caller.

My position there is important and I enjoy what I do on a daily basis and sometimes on call.

I also want the security of a permanent, full-time position with a corporation that have room to grow.
Pros
Fun
Cons
Hard Days
Bureaucracy Overload
Community Health Nurse (Former Employee) –  Sioux Lookout, ON5 November 2018
Loved the actual job of nursing and expanded practice but the bureaucracy was more than I wanted to contend with on a day to day basis.

The people in Ottawa who organize travel haven't a clue about Northern Ontario geography or weather patterns.

There were one too many times my manager was not consulted about my schedule by other managers who then would redirect me elsewhere without following procedures
Cons
Snowed in
Professional workplace
Consultant / Reviewer (Medical Equipment) (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 September 2018
Opportunities for Advancement; Health Canada offers various programs for qualified employees seeking new challenges and career advancement.

Access to Continuous Learning; Health Canada is committed to maintaining an educated and knowledgeable workforce. On-going professional and personal development is a key method of meeting this objective.

Flexible Work Arrangements; Depending on the type of work performed, managers can allow employees to work flexible hours, telework or work a compressed work week.

Job Security and Mobility; Because Health Canada is part of the Federal Public Service, employees benefit from the ability to move within the department, or within various departments of the Federal Public Service.

Insurance Benefits
Health Canada employees have dental and health care plans, disability insurance, pension plan and death benefit coverage.
Exciting and rewarding opportunity
Consumer Product Safety Officer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 August 2018
Exciting opporunity but the contract was short. Not enough support from colleaugues. Co-workers kept to themselves and management didnt give a hoot about your long-term success.
Pros
Pay was decent
Cons
Short contract
Great team in Kanata
Communications and Change Management Consultant (Former Employee) –  Kanata, ON4 June 2018
I had the opportunity to work on a contract with the ETI transformation team in 2015. I really enjoyed this contract. Even though it was difficult and frustrating from an operational perspective, the project manager was fantastic and the other members of the team were wonderful to work with. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend a placement with the IM/IT teams at Health Canada.
Pros
managers, team, location
Cons
SSC project
Progressive IT Shop
Enterprise Architect, Solution Architect (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON30 May 2018
As a GoC group, HC Dev Centre is a progressive shop that welcomes new technologies, including open source products. It is result-oriented. Most of the managers I dealt with are open-minded about new approaches to problems. They have adopted Agile.
Decent Place
Regulatory Affairs Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON22 April 2018
Health Canada is a great place to learn and absorb new concepts, its a great stepping stone. The only issue is overwhelming sense of entitlement of some of the senior staff, a lot of the work was left up to the juniors. There was very little that the managers could do and there was very little accountability, then again this creates great learning opportunities for junior staff.
Great work life balance
Practice Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2018
Great career support and opportunities within the public sector. Very supportive of work-life balance and expanding career development. Various roles can be trialed through secondment.
Great minds, great people
Chemical Toxicological Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2018
Department promoted a healthy workspace. Flexible deadlines made the work term stress-free and allowed for quality deliverables. Management was highly receptive to employee input.
Working with the top people handling big initiatives
Filing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2018
Really cool and unique place to work. Very dynamic and fast paced. Lots to do. Huge government office with many people and a lot of mail to deliver. A learning experience.
productive fun place
Benefit Analyst (Former Employee) –  riverside dr19 March 2018
Great place enjoyed going to work. People were very nice. I learned a lot, very knowledgeable company.would defiantly work there again if asked. Co-workers were all very nice.
Pros
lot's of activities
na
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
short consulting gig so can't comment more than that. Work ethics were good for the management. Some staff was qualified as well. Good turnaround time for inquiries.
This is how I am...
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
I like to work at challenging and stimulating jobs, public and private sector, that pay well and are interesting to do. I am a good team player and work equally well by myself.
Pros
Free lunches sounds good!
Cons
Mesmerized in front of computers after many hours
Interesting place to work
Adminstrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2018
Friendly and always something new to learn. Working in Tunneys Pasture allows acces to the parkway paths to go for walks on your lunch hour. Lots of reenery.
Lots of parking.
Contract
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
I was paid very well to create a document for them with findings. I worked closely with management to produce something they wanted. I got paid a lot of money to basically copy and paste different studies into one document and make it cohesive.
Pros
nice pay
Cons
working from home
Rewarding working environment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba4 January 2018
Department promotes innovation and collaboration among peers. Great opportunities for professional development and career advancement. Constant changes in ministerial leadership sometimes lead to changes in policies and procedures.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Health Canada. Our community is ready to answer.