Health Canada

Health Canada Employee Reviews

Canada124 reviews
Management, as with all Federal Government Departments, plays favorites even if they say they don’t. Staff take extra long “smoke” breaks multiple times per day in addition to the already allotted Paid 15 minutes mandatory breaks and lunch Break. Staff constantly are late or have extra long lunches and are never held accountable. Training is non-existent and nepotism continues to flourish despite the government’s efforts to make a more fair and transparent hiring process
Pros
Excellent pay and benefits once permanent, great work life balance
Cons
Lazy entitled staff, office politics, favortism, hard to get permanent job, inconsistent objectives
Ineffective and malfunctioning pay system that no one cares to deal with leads to stress, lost hours and, most crucially, dollars. Your dollars.

The employee shouldn't have to pay for Phoenix's mistakes, and yet we still are. Shameful and disheartening.

This place has turned into a high-stress embarrassment. Good luck.
I loved working there every day. Management was extremely friend and helpful. Co-workers were willing to provide me with help if I didn't understand my duties and I was paid extremely well.
Benefits
Cons
Sitting for long hours
It was a VERY stressful, toxic and competitive environment, supervisor was inexperienced in role and therefore incompetent on so many levels. There was extreme nepotism, shady hiring practices as well as loose, ever changing and at times non existant SOP’s.
Able to concentrate on your job as nobody comes to distract you or talk with you. When the work is done then small groups get acquainted and discuss better ways on making the work more efficient. They appreciate their workers and protect them when needed.
I have no problem with health Canada. It was a good career and very professional atmosphere. They gave me a lot of time for volunteering and different job opportunities.
I found health canada is an important Department where employee feel secure under best management team.
work place culture is respectful.

Growth for learning is excellent .
I am an independent mental health counsellor. As I have moved to a rural area, I receive few referrals. I find the Health Canada staff that I have dealt with to be competent and professional.
It was a pleasure to work with Health Canada/Sante Canada. Staffs were friendly helped in learning new tasks. Everyone in the team collaborated to fix when difficulty arises in work assignments
I enjoyed my time as a casual clerk. It was a memorable employment experience. I answered calls, booked appointments and made all travel arrangements.
If you are ready to work hard, put in the effort, quick to grasp concepts and pay attention to detail as well as a great team player, Health Canada is the place for you.
The environment consisted of had working but well balanced kind individuals.

Health Canada has a great reputation as an employer and I agree. I would highly recommend working here.
Pretty much what you expect at the government. Slow-paced, pretty relaxed, people are cool but mostly old. Great benefits and experience, can't go wrong working in government
Lots of time with correspondence on computer
Staff meetings with public health nurses

One on one assessment of nurse practice

Hardest part of the job: Having to give a negative assessment to an employee.

Most enjoyable part of the job: Supportive administrator, good leadership meetings, positive group atmosphere in health protection.
Work–life balance is the lack of opposition between work and other life roles. It is the state of equilibrium in which demands of personal life, professional life, and family life are equal. Work–life balance consists of, but it is not limited to, flexible work arrangements that allow employees to carry out other life programs and practices.
Great employer to offer opportunities for further development and learning new skills.

Management was very approachable and dealt with team issues professionaly.
Top notch management, friendly coworkers.

A welcoming and engaging work environment that makes you feel part of a team. Everyone is very approachable.
its for the young people as its shift work , was a pleasant job it required lots of memorizing and data entry ...lots of calls incoming working with the public ,,,fast paced
Health Canada is an excellent employer. The pay is fair, as are the benefits. The human resources team is full of extremely knowledgeable and talented people.
My situation is different from most. Being with my family more would be appreciated and make me happier at work. I only get to spend48 hours with my loved ones every week.
Employees do not work for Health Canada directly. They work under contract for a placement agency for almost minimum wage. The new Canadians are taken advantage of. It's almost a human rights violation.
Pros
Great place to learn customer service.
Cons
Terrible working conditions.