Health Canada Employee Reviews

Great work life balance
Practice Advisor (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON16 April 2018
Great career support and opportunities within the public sector. Very supportive of work-life balance and expanding career development. Various roles can be trialed through secondment.
Great minds, great people
Chemical Toxicological Evaluator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON28 March 2018
Department promoted a healthy workspace. Flexible deadlines made the work term stress-free and allowed for quality deliverables. Management was highly receptive to employee input.
Working with the top people handling big initiatives
Filing Assistant (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC27 March 2018
Really cool and unique place to work. Very dynamic and fast paced. Lots to do. Huge government office with many people and a lot of mail to deliver. A learning experience.
productive fun place
Benefit Analyst (Former Employee) –  riverside dr19 March 2018
Great place enjoyed going to work. People were very nice. I learned a lot, very knowledgeable company.would defiantly work there again if asked. Co-workers were all very nice.
Pros
lot's of activities
na
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 March 2018
short consulting gig so can't comment more than that. Work ethics were good for the management. Some staff was qualified as well. Good turnaround time for inquiries.
This is how I am...
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON14 March 2018
I like to work at challenging and stimulating jobs, public and private sector, that pay well and are interesting to do. I am a good team player and work equally well by myself.
Pros
Free lunches sounds good!
Cons
Mesmerized in front of computers after many hours
Interesting place to work
Adminstrative Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 February 2018
Friendly and always something new to learn. Working in Tunneys Pasture allows acces to the parkway paths to go for walks on your lunch hour. Lots of reenery.
Lots of parking.
Contract
Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2018
I was paid very well to create a document for them with findings. I worked closely with management to produce something they wanted. I got paid a lot of money to basically copy and paste different studies into one document and make it cohesive.
Pros
nice pay
Cons
working from home
Rewarding working environment
Library Assistant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, Manitoba4 January 2018
Department promotes innovation and collaboration among peers. Great opportunities for professional development and career advancement. Constant changes in ministerial leadership sometimes lead to changes in policies and procedures.
Stable and professional job with room for advancent
Junior Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Fox Lake, AB28 December 2017
Great co workers, usually good managers. Fast paced and often fulfilling work helping clients get in to see a nurse or doctor. Working with the community and many other professionals like therapists and dentist, eye doctors and a varitey of nurses and paramedics.
Pros
Stable and professional work environnent.
Cons
Glitchy pay system
Excellent Working Environment
Self-motivated
Customer Service
Answering phones
Minute Taking
Pros
Education
Great workplace
Climate Change and Health Project Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON12 December 2017
You learn a lot about different aspects of Canada and working here opens your eyes to the many great things our government is doing. I worked in the First Nations office and working here taught me a lot about the situation they are in.
Productive and fun work atmosphere with a gym and relax room.
Senior Human Resources Assistant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 December 2017
I love Mondays, mostly because the day flies by in a flash. I would concentrate on how you ‘organize’ your day. I do this on Monday so that the rest of the week is well organized and I can effectively use my time on other work I need to catch-up on. One of my biggest task is checking in with my co-worker and see the progress on various projects. I prefer meeting three times a week, first thing on Monday to discuss our priorities for the week, then meet again Wednesday to check progress, and meet once on Friday to discuss goal setting for the next week. When I met with the team, together, we came up with strategies for increasing efficiency among the team.
Pros
Free lunch
Great co-workers
Sr. Financial Administrative Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON11 October 2017
Was a very empowering environment and great management. I enjoyed my work there
There was a strong teamplayer presence. The DG was a female and took pride in empowering her employees, both genders.
A fulfilling career pathway providing Health care to First Nation communities
Nurse Practitioner (Current Employee) –  Garden River, AB1 August 2017
challenging nursing career that has many health barriers that you learn to overcome. must be able to endure isolation for long stretches. must work well as a team member with all types of people. must be prepared to triage patients and set boundaries.
will develope skills and learn new skills necessary for job
Health Canada has exceptional education allowance so if you wish to further your career good place to start- catch service hour pay back systems can keep you working in the north longer than you expected
Pros
can earn good money
Cons
Phoenix pay system will challenge everyone emotionally
A place where you fell that you are contributing to the achievement of fixed goals.
Epidemiologist (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON3 June 2017
A supportive working place and where you can achieve as a team worker to your full participation. Easy going place and directives were well explained and feel like home.
Pros
Team work
Cons
Great people to work with
Exemption Officer (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON8 May 2017
Great people to work with, makes you feel like a big family. Hours a re flexible, pay is good. Great place for cultural and personal growth. Good opportunities to move up the ladder and learn new techniques.
Various locations that are easy to get to
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON1 May 2017
A friendly environment with friendly co-workers who are willing to give a helping hand when needed. Management was helpful and offered advice when necessary.
Very Pleasant Place to work
Records Management Clerk (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 February 2017
Health Canada is a pleasant place to work with nice employees and supervisors who are dedicated to achieving whatever project they set out to do, and in this case the project is to digitize all they're paper records and get on database.
Productive workplace
Executive AssistantAs-01 (Current Employee) –  Ottawa, ON7 February 2017
productive and fun workplace
Continually learning new aspects and information
Management is very friendly and wiling to help
develop multiple skills right from the beginning
Pros
flexibility
Cons
I wish this job was permanent.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Health Canada. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2