HCL Americas Employee Reviews

I thoroughly enjoyed working for HCL during my time with them
Sr. Project Manager (Former Employee) –  New Orleans, LA13 June 2019
Working for HCL was very rewarding. I had the opportunity to grow both personally and professionally. My management listened to my ideas for both Project and Program improvements.
Just Not A Company To Work For At All
Desktop Support Technician (Former Employee) –  New York, NY20 March 2019
Overall, even if you keep your head down and do your job, you may still find yourself under intimidation from upper management, being pushed to "volunteer" for overtime, only ten days of PTO, as well as other possible nonsense. Managers have little regard for their team when things get tough, or throw people under the bus to excuse themselves from blame.

The only plus is you get paid and have coverage.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Managers, 10 days PTO a year, Dealing with labor law violations
Don't get comfortable, you can be let go at a moment's notice.
Software Specialist (Current Employee) –  Columbus, IN11 March 2019
Atmosphere is rather laid back, and coworkers are (for the most part) outstanding. Main complaint is salary. After talking with senior coworkers, come to find out that HCL is taking 30% of my salary (from what the company that is through their contract pays them). That equates to approx. $18,000 that they are receiving just for me showing up. Every year, the company pays them more, while there's no increase on our end. Salary increases are basically non-existent. Doesn't even cover cost of living increases when you do get an increase. Health insurance is basically worthless. High copays, and alot of procedures and medications are not covered. Management turnover rate is astronomical. Three people within 2 months. Don't get me wrong, I love where I work. The monetary aspect of it, not so much.
UPDATE: I was called into the office for a "Touch Point" meeting, which was supposed to be for performance review/raise. I was then told that my position was being cut due to "cost effectiveness". On the plus side, they gave me a 30 day notice, plus told me that I was being put "on the bench", which basically means they will also pay me an additional 30 days while they try to find me another position, but no guarantees that it will be in the same area, same pay, and I won't have to relocate. I was also told this had nothing to do with performance, as I was one of the highest productive employees.. I just drew the short end of the stick. Found out a couple other employees from different teams/departments just went through the same thing. There is no loyalty at HCL, and they definitely don't
  more... think about their employees' lives and the welfare of their family. There is no stability at HCL, and even if you perform above expectations, no one is safe from having their position cut on a whim. Very disappointed.  less
Pros
Relaxed atmosphere, work from home
Cons
Pay, benefits, job security
Itpm
Contract ITPM Data Center Consolodation (Former Employee) –  Dallas, TX21 February 2019
HCL Americas had no organization, hired individuals with high personal views of themselves, and denigrated my skills to the point I was working myself to death.
Job Security
Associate Business Manager (Former Employee) –  Westlake, TX3 February 2019
When you Work at HCL, your job is safe but the compensation and benefits are okay to an extent.
projects are time-boxed.
if you're lucky, you get to stay in a single place for more than couple of years.
Poor Management
Credentialing Specialist (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC1 February 2019
The management at HCL is poor. The projects are ran with the intention to never promote from within. It is very stressful due to the lack of understanding by the people that are in management.
Pros
Great Health Benefits
Cons
Poor Management
Make a quick buck but not satisfying work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Duluth, MN1 February 2019
A typical day at work includes logging in on time, getting your systems going, checking if there's any new emails/announcements, and getting on the phone. Phone calls vary and callers are typically just trying to get something done, not overly crabby. But when you call the help desk with questions or escalations, be prepared to wait 10-45 minutes, leaning more towards 20 minutes or more on average. And once you reach the help desk, it's like playing roulette - which help desk person will you get and what mood will they be in. This is more stressful than the callers, as you often get snarky responses to your questions. You feel stupid, incompetent, and angry as you go back to your caller. The rest of the call goes fine usually. You note the account. You hang up. Next call.

The job is pretty straight forward and you are trained well. However, training can be hectic. I have yet to see one training class not have major hiccups in the location of training, the availability of laptops for the training, the availability of the trainer for the training, and even the length of training. They did get a new training room built on the first floor so that has helped out some.

I went through two trainings. I started at one project with two supervisory type people and several that you could also talk to for help with stuff, experts. I learned my job, liked it overall. But I switched desks four times within 2 months I was on the project and had to share my desk with other agents, sometimes not scheduled to work together so they had to move or I had to move.

The next training was mandatory
  more... to start and I was told to clear my schedule for one week. I was in limbo as far as a schedule for over a month. I didn't know my supervisor for almost two months in that position, I just reached out in person to anyone I could see that might be a lead, because nobody read their emails. I used to have a good schedule, flexible as promised, to work with dr appts for my kids and myself. This time I was committed to work 5 days a week and they made it difficult to request time off. I was moved again twice, both times without knowing where I was moved to, and both times I had to ask someone who was not my supervisor where I was seated, and it wasn't on a seating chart at all, so I had to walk down every single row to find my new seat.

Expect emails back 2-4 days later. If you're lucky like me, your supervisor will rarely talk to you and look at you crabby whenever you approach them. You will seem like a bother. There is one awesome lead in the place who you will recognize within the first week on the floor and maybe even during training. She will be your godsend. One of the only 3 higher ups who actually show genuine care.

So that's the skinny. If you want to make the money, you can expect 13 an hour on contract with one of the 5-6 hiring companies who all speak with an Indian accent and are very unorganized. You may be catfished into thinking you will be answering emails and chats all day like I did, but it is a call center job, nothing less. People were working 10-12 hours a day to rack up money. Two people I met there went fro essentially homeless to an apartment within 1-2 months of working due to the amount they were able to make in that short amount of time. So if you want to grind a few months before Christmas, this job is ideal, because 13 an hour is pretty good for a quick buck at a pretty decent job. Just don't expect to make this a career, unless you are totally a masochist, because they run their training staff and leads into the ground.

Parking also sucks. The cheapest ramp is $55 a month, $5 a day. Free parking is up the hill 2 blocks, if you are lucky to find a spot. The bus is a couple blocks away. Expect to spend at least 15 minutes to get to work from your car unless you blow $10 at the nearest hotel ramp.

Oh and depending on the project you are working on, NO CELL PHONES ALLOWED. I could not even wear an apple watch. Cool for secure reasons but how you have time to steal personal information is beyond me with just a watch.
Pros
Quick money, good training, easy overall
Cons
Strict breaks, poor management, chaotic workplace
Need better management
Full-Time (Contract) (Former Employee) –  Cary, NC28 December 2018
They project I was on was really disorganized. My managers and supervisors weren't the best and barely helped. And the whole place had no sense of comradery.
Direction was missing
Lead Engineer (Former Employee) –  Detroit, MI, portland,Or8 December 2018
.company leadership was void of understanding and not familiar with English, culture or assimilation.
Local HR was out of the country, far removed from interaction of processes.
Pros
.none
Cons
.missibg language skills
It won't take over your life, but you'll still be overwhelmed.
TSR (Current Employee) –  San Antonio, TX3 December 2018
overstressed, underpaid, underutilized. Thats the basics of a day-to day here. I have never felt that management was more underhanded and determined to preserve their own positions than i do in this job. there are at max 4-6 chances for everyone in this service desk to advance to management roles, and those are all clearly chosen favorites of current management.
Pros
Good luck finding one beyond the decent pay for an entry level.
Cons
overbearing management, little to no chance for growth if management doesnt like you
If you're looking for growth this is not the place for you
Quality Control Analyst (Current Employee) –  Cary, NC28 November 2018
HCL as a company is extremely unorganized. There is little to no growth financially. If you exceed in your work and elevate in your responsibilities (i.e. QA) there is absolutely no additional pay. If growth and stability is a goal or requirement for your future employment, this isn't the company for you.
Pros
Great health benefits
Cons
Low pay without opportunities to increase it
Excellent Benefits
Telephone Support Analyst (Current Employee) –  Raleigh, NC20 November 2018
Fast paced, quick learning environment. 24/7 based company with a wide variety of opportunities.

Diverse environment that allows interaction with lots of different people.
Says employees first but it's Money First
Desktop Support Service (Former Employee) –  Durham, NC18 August 2018
Was promised long term employement for our team when HCL took over the account. After 3 months and the knowledge transfer were were released - no option to move to another account.
Pros
Wonderful Paid Benefits
Cons
Money Oriented Company
Good Place to work
Group Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Katy, TX22 June 2018
Good place to work, management is supportive. you get chance to balance you work and professional like.

compensation part can be improved which is low as per capacity of individuals.
Very mixed story
Solution Architect (Current Employee) –  Branchburg, NJ30 May 2018
In Dec, 2017 HCL fought very hard to keep me as an employee, ultimately beating an offer I had on the table, They went after me hard and showed a lot of love.

A few months later they hired a Buiness Analyst reporting to me. When budget cuts were announced , they rolled my responsibilities under the new business analyst and cut my position. I was given one week's notice.
Pros
Very dedicated and knowledgeable team
Cons
See above - no security
Major disconnect between company and employee
Tier II Technical Support (Former Employee) –  San Antonio, TX23 May 2018
I found it extremely difficult to contact the company. They did not communicate well with the contractors nor did they communicate well with the customer (USAA).
productive laid back nice work enviroment
Level 1 Help Desk (Former Employee) –  Frisco, TX8 May 2018
productive laid back nice work enviroment got to work would start calls help any one that would call in and would help other co-workers and even managers
Great Projects not company.
Level 2 Senior Network Support (Current Employee) –  Cary, NC9 January 2017
The project for NOKIA was good and interesting the only problem is the organization of HCL. Loyalty and compensation is at least of their concern and only worried about the profit of the company and not the advancement of the employees. Great starter company for industry experience but not a long term company .
Great long term company
Senior Manager IT Operations (Current Employee) –  New York, NY6 October 2016
Great long term company, but for these who like to sit back n relax
Motivation is missing and the urge to do more and as a result getting recongnized again lacks big time
More than 10 years of experience in manual functional and accessibility testing
Test Lead (Current Employee) –  Redmond, WA28 September 2016
HCL is great company to work for. I have associated with this from India and for past 9 years

More than 10 years of experience in manual functional and accessibility testing

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HCL Americas. Our community is ready to answer.

2.9