Hawthorn Senior Living Employee Reviews

Chaingang jail is better than this place
Cook (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON30 May 2019
The worst job I ever had. Micromanagers make this place a horrid place to work. No other place I worked in 25 years has such negative morale. Write-ups come easy instead of proper training and helpful assistance. Timelines are not realistic and several shifts go without breaks. Menus are often full of items that are not wanted or liked by the residents. The revolving door is the way staff go through this place. I would not recommend this place to anyone for a job.
Horrible place to work
Housekeeping/ server (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON29 April 2019
I feel bad for the supervisors, in Woodstock their great people & don’t get credit for the work they do. When your running someone else’s business you have a budget to follow and can’t go outside of it. I feel really bad for them because they take the slack from the employees who know they deserve more as workers. As for the work at cedarview, you are WAY over worked. You serve 2 meals and have to clean residents rooms. I was going in 45-1 hour early so I could start my day and get out on time, which I wasn’t paid for.
Again the management at the Woodstock retirement home were great. The work however was absolutely outrageous.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
Way too much work, doing 2 jobs
Prep Cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON22 April 2019
One of the worst places I have ever worked. Longing for the day to be over because all you hear is the management yelling at you that you didn’t get an impossible amount of work done in a short amount of time. Completely insensitive to those with disabilities as well.
Pros
Free lunch. Tuesday to Saturday schedule frees up one week day for running errands.
Cons
Impossibly large workload with such a small amount of time.
PM LIne Cook
Pm line cook (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON3 December 2018
Absolutely the worst job I have had in my 35 year career. Days are long , But the main problem is the workload. its the kind of company that wants to make everything from scratch but does not have the staff in place to do it. Management are self centered and make staff do there jobs as well as your own. The only place I ever worked where Chefs have to serve coffee. The only benefit to this job is the free food. I would defiantly think long and hard before working for this company.
Pros
nothing
Cons
to many to mention
It's like a cult that leaves the seniors who pay through the teeth..nothing
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Woodstock, ON22 August 2018
Undoubtedly, a rip off for the residents. Terrible food choices and budgeting. Typically what you might expect from a huge profit run organization focused on filling rooms and cutting costs.
Pros
regimented environment
Cons
management unwilling to discuss all the problems present.
Housekeeper/Server (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON30 November 2017
Management doesn't care
Expected to do more than your own job
Very hard work and on a strict time table to get your jobs done
Pros
Nothing but the residents they are amazing
Cons
Terrible work table
Negative working atmosphere
Kitchen Staff (Former Employee) –  Guelph Lake, ON6 September 2017
Responsibilities are straight forward but the working environment was tense and distracting due to new system managers changing every few months. I feel sorry for the residents as they are ultimately the ones that sense the tension.
Pros
Great residents
Cons
Expectation after being hired that I would be available on my days off