HAWTHORN RETIREMENT GROUP Employee Reviews

Managers are run to the ground, zero communication, no life
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  N/A18 September 2019
Reality is they will work you 15hrs a day, don't care about your well being, turnover - turnover! 4 days nights on call 24 hours. Want you to be a robot. Only care about census. Run on a shoe string budget, but upper level people are making Bank!! Only good thing is the communities are clean. Residents truly suffer because of lack of Reality Management and Turnover.
Community Manager (Former Employee) –  Oro Valley, AZ12 August 2019
Great place to work, the residents are awesome. Someone once told me, “it is the hardest work, you will love doing”, they were right. You get to help, hours are long but you rest knowing you are making many lives better.
Tough customers but also loving
Sous Chef (Former Employee) –  Indianapolis, IN13 July 2019
Good solid kitchen work. Learned a lot about myself and what I could do without much. Usually understaffed but with the right team the kitchen ran pretty smoothly.
Pros
Working hours
Cons
Compensation
Inadequate training
Assistant Manager (Former Employee) –  Johns Creek, GA8 June 2019
They were not clear on their objectives and were vague in their training. Overbearing bosses. Hard to please. My greatest concern was for the residents -- their main concern was occupancy and the bottom line.
Sometimes good work place
Maintenance Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Alpharetta, GA31 March 2019
It depends on the management that is in charge at the time weather they make it a good place to work the first set of managers made it feel like a family environment but there is a consensus turn over with the managers and that is where the problem s lie new attitudes and rules went from family environments to a dictatorship..Sad but it's true if the managers don't like you you want be there long no matter how valuable you may seem....
Pros
Good elderly ppl to be around
Cons
They want you to care about the elderly but don't want you to associate with them
It was nice at first
Chef (Former Employee) –  Gladstone, OR23 March 2019
New managers every year ...each one thinks they know best...hours are insane..and management won’t won’t won’t help if short handed in the kitchen...turnover is crazy!!!
Extended Family
Housekeeping (Current Employee) –  McKinney, TX9 September 2018
Working here is more of an extended family. It has bad days but when everyone work together anything here is possible. Over all it is a fun place to work
i am part time in Bethlehem Pennsylvania. I work weekends but new manager came in i am being forced out.
Bus Driver (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PA30 July 2018
I am currently working part-time weekends driving the bus and doing other things. I work at Bethlehem Pennsylvania facility. I enjoy working there but new manager cut my hours a little at a time now I feel I am being forced out . Because I am part time. I was hired only for weekend work. New manager wants me to fill in for full time worker while she takes vacation . I can't because I have a full time job Monday thru Friday. So now he wants to get rid of me. Don't care about part time people. When I was hired no mention of week day work
Pros
free lunch. loved the residents
Cons
management dont care about part time worker
Work habbits
Assistant Living (Current Employee) –  Johns Creek, GA12 July 2018
Fast pace working environment, with smart working skills, using knowledge to take on the roll in employment. Sometimes challenging specially on holidays. Hard working skills to a certain standard.
memorization was the key to that job, the managers were great and the residents were the sweetest
Server/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Georgetown, TX28 March 2018
Fast pace
Learned how to help serve the elderly, how to speak up
The managers were laid back unless needed to be otherwise
The hardest part was when i would have to scrub the public restrooms
The easiest was memorizing their order and bring them their food
Pros
Residents, serving, fast paced
Cons
Managers treated part time like they didn’t matter, when the residents would pass away
Took care of everything
Manager (Former Employee) –  San Diego, CA25 March 2018
Interact with the seniors , served them coffee at all of the meals, helped them with any problems ,collected rent,, made sure that they were thought of during holidays, with special dinners, christmas party, new years party,etc
Pros
Good pay, Free rent, Free food, Util
Company is growing to fast to keep up with Corporate level adjusment to maintain a high level of staffing at the locations thourght out the USA market
Sales Manager (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MA5 March 2018
Way to many hours worked per week....not enough labors hours scheduled in our yearly budget to provide the services we sell/promote. A training program has been need for years for new management that is not provided.
Great Company
MANAGER - FACILITIES (Former Employee) –  Oxford, FL4 March 2018
Overall the methodology behind Hawthorn's model is sound, but the only issue is that most managers brought in do not have the heart. Experience is great, but without having the heart to back it up - efforts are for not.
Pros
Live Onsite (Food, Housing & Utilities paid)
Cons
Long Hours to work
Great for a first job!
Server (Former Employee) –  Rio Rancho, NM22 January 2018
I worked with this company for 2 years in high school. It was a great atmosphere and i absolutely loved working there. It was hard at first but then you built a relationship with all of the residents and it made work so much fun. Memorizing lines was the hardest but you got used to it pretty fast. I miss it there.
Pros
quick shifts, flexible, fun.
Cons
3 different kinds of shifts, memorizing orders.
Cut throat and management will abuse you!
Maintenance Supervisor/Technician (Former Employee) –  Greensboro, NC21 January 2018
I found in the 24 managers in 3 years that the residents are only money to them based off the Ambulance to come and give another turn. They harass and lie to get their way and will cut the employee to save the manager from crimes and lies that have been done in the center. Pay raises are at will to the manager and they never happen on time nor at all. Corporate only cares for money for themselves. I would never suggest for any one that has a home life or children to even consider this place to work for.
Pros
Insurance
Cons
Transmit of viruses and sickness; no home life, can not trust management on any level
Excellent place to work
Sous Chef / Cook (Former Employee) –  Clermont, FL 3471116 January 2018
Good Company with opportunity to grow, Good Food, Excellent benefits, Flexible schedule, Facilities are big & Beautiful and clean...
Relax place to work....
Pros
pay & Benefits
Cons
Short Breaks
Great place to work with great people!
Recruiter (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, WA21 November 2017
Since the moment I began working for this company I have felt supported and willed to succeed. I absolutely love coming to work every day and I cannot imagine a better place to work.
Pros
Great Office Culture
Cons
None!
This company does not care about it's employees.
Chef (Current Employee) –  N. Carolina21 November 2017
Not a very good place to work, treat employees very poorly.

If you are unemployed I say go for it, but never leave your job to take this employment, you will regret it.
Pros
You will get pay check.
Cons
the minute you can't give 100% they have no use for you!
residents became my family would do whatever it took make them comfortab
Maintenance Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Bethlehem, PA18 November 2017
check all priorities distribute work call all vendors make sure all fire equipment up working all alarms check in management any new residents the day goes on
Pros
free lunch
Cons
salary
Overall the company is well grounded and totally geared to helping seniors improving there way of life
Management Assistant (Former Employee) –  Tewksbury, MA16 November 2017
I enjoyed working for Hawthorn met some really great people. The environment was pleasant. The Seniors were amazing. I love working with a good team. It was good to experience the east coast
Pros
Free meals and lodging
Cons
Not many breaks and overnight hours