HAWK LAKE LODGE Employee Reviews

3.8Pay & Benefits
4.2Job Security & Advancement
Amazing Lodge and Opportunity
Fishing Guide (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON13 January 2019
I have spent my entire life fishing and enjoying what the outdoors has to offer. This has given me the chance to be around a lot of different lodges, and without a doubt Hawk Lake Lodge is an amazing lodge to work for. I worked as a fishing guide and will be returning for another amazing season.

You have access to staff boats and are given free gas to use the boats as much as you would like, with world class Smallmouth Bass and Walleye fishing that you have unlimited access too. And as a strictly catch and release fishery I know that this fishery will last and remain healthy with good management.

If you are like me, you will enjoy everyday, make new friends and meet amazing people.
Awesome Summer Guiding Job
Fishing guide (Former Employee) –  Hawk Lake Lodge13 January 2019
I have worked at Hawk Lake Lodge for a number of seasons and every season is better then the last. First let me comment of the fishing. A great fishery to improve your fishing skills. With an excellent fishery, guiding is made very easy and enjoyable. Fantastic clients make your guiding day very enjoyable. With so many lakes to choose from, it is encouraged to learn and fish the different lakes the system has to offer. Guiding is always an adventure because you can fish from many of the different lakes depending on the weather and your clients fishing ability. Shore lunches are very organized allowing making lunch an enjoyable part of the job. I have seen many, many, big fish come out of those lakes and with the lakes producing soooo many fish, guiding is extremely enjoyable. It is a very “yes” lodge, meaning the clients are always in a great mood. The lifestyle is next to none at HLL. Free use of staff boats makes adventuring this place very exciting. The always improving staff quarters allows you to have your own room, plus common area. The staff food is incredible. With Kenora so close, (and the lodge being a drive in), you can get off the resort and enjoy some of the things kenora has to offer. The people that work and manage HLL are very friendly making your summer one of the best.
Pros
Great people, encouraged to go fishing, great food, private rooms, awesome clients
Summer doesn't get much better than this!
Operations Manager (Current Employee) –  Kenora, ON11 January 2019
I first came to Hawk Lake Lodge in the Summer of 2016. I was hired as the Dock and Guide Manager. Having previously owned and operated my own Fishing Lodge in Alberta, and semi-retired, I was pretty sure I knew what I was getting into. In a word, I was wrong! This place and these people were beyond my expectations! … A gorgeous, hand-hewn log lodge on a beautiful Canadian Shield lake. 14 boats and motors equipped with all the latest equipment, Humminbird Helix 9 Sonar, St. Croix rods and reels, Minn-Kota trolling motors and, complimentary bait. Incredible.
I was given a private room, meals, world-class fishing for Walleye and Small-Mouth Bass, and a ton of free time to fish and explore not only the main lake, but 19 other private lakes. These additional lakes are all within walking distance of the main lake on well-marked, groomed trails. Simply put, it’s nothing short of idyllic. And, don’t forget the sunsets, bonfires and camaraderie that is all part of what makes for a fabulous summer.
So, as I make preparations to head back to Hawk Lake Lodge for my 4th consecutive summer, I encourage you to consider being a part of our team. It will be a Summer you won’t soon forget.
Fun summer job at beautiful remote lodge
Server/Housekeeper (Current Employee) –  Hawk lake10 January 2019
If you enjoy the outdoors this an amazing place to spend the summer. The job is fun, the guests are awesome, and the staff is like one big family. Guests preorder meals and everything is very organized so service is fast and easy. We work early mornings and early evenings so have plenty of free time in between to spend outside. The place is absolutely beautiful and there is tons of wildlife. Great fishing if you’re into it! Also also plenty to do if you’re not, or lots of guides around happy to take you out if you need some help. Staff cabins are nice and getting improvements every year. All private bedrooms and right on the lake.

The owners also have two beautiful golden retrievers that will instantly become your best friends.

Hard to beat a summer at Hawk Lake!
Pros
afternoons off & finish early in the evenings, access to boats with free gas, endless lakes to explore, great fishing, free room & board, amazing people, big tip payout at end of season
Great job management needs work
Fishing Guide (Former Employee) –  Kenora, ON28 November 2016
Life doesn't get much better than working as a fishing guide at a lodge but working for an erratically behaving individual that couldn't control their temper was an awful experience. Most guides do not return year after year, there is clearly a reason why.

- Guiding was difficult due to a generally poor fishery which only intermediate to advanced anglers could benefit from. Many upset guests felt like they didn't get what they paid for.

- Guides are paid less and tipped less compared to what they would earn at most other lodges especially considering what is expected of them on deckhand/labor days.

- The exposed raw sewage lines that constantly burst leaving a large portion of the property smelling of it was a joy to constantly repair.

-Good food, great people for the most part, met some very cool guests, guiding itself was a great time for a very short part of the season otherwise the fishing was really lacking. If you want to be a fishing guide continue your search.
Pros
Use of boats, staff members/guests, food, lifestyle
Cons
Erratic behavior from head management, pay structure, dealing with raw sewage just outside of living quarters.
Official response from HAWK LAKE LODGE
2 January 2019

We are sorry you did not get out what you had hoped to while working at Hawk Lake Lodge. We treat all our employees like family and unfortunately some do not work out as much as we would have hoped. Our returning guides and staff (of which we have many) catch fish all summer long as documented by over 16 TV shows, 7 world records and a repeat clientele of over 82%. Some client have been coming for over 30 years. We book years in advance for a reason, it is a world class fishery. Unfortunately come guide resumes do not always measure up.

This past summer our guides and staff received a brand new multi-story staff house with private rooms, 3 bathrooms, internet, new flooring, the works. We go to great lengths to ensure we treat our staff as we would our own family. Respect is a two way street but in the end we want to make sure everyone is safe, happy and having fun! We pay above market rates and our guides last summer made over 5 figures each in such a short summer and had unlimited free fishing whenever they wanted (including as much gas as they would like and use of every lake we fish). Some of our staff have been coming back for the past 9 years straight. We love them and look forward to seeing them for many years, whatever career they eventually choose. This upcoming season we are expecting a return staff rate of 75%, with several staff we have decided not to bring back for our own reasons. We can't wait to have a another fun summer.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HAWK LAKE LODGE. Our community is ready to answer.

4.3