Hatts Off Inc. logo

Hatts Off Inc. Work-life balance reviews

Clear
2.0Pay & benefits

Anywhere is better than Hatts Off: A Brutally Honest Review

I am a former Hatts Off employee; both Relief and Full time since 2016 in residential and foster care. I am going to write a balanced review but I will be brutally honest on both sides. First I will say that I am proud of the work I have done working with my clients over the years who I have built some very strong relationships. This was my first job in the field and it was an exciting time for me to get to work in my chosen career. You get to wear many hats (pun intended), like being a parental figure, a counselor, a caregiver, and a mentor. You will spend most of your job "living with the clients" so you will get to know them quite well; What their strengths and challenges are. Most clients are great to work with and you will meet many personalities. The most rewarding moments is when they make that progress. One particular area is when clients and family are able to come together and build better relations. I am grateful to have been able to work with some passionate and dedicated staff who always put the clients first. Even in difficult times, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. Unfortunately although you may have many positive experiences, you are likely to have a lot of negative ones as well. This is based on my experience and yours may be differ completely. You will only be working with one or two people so hope that you get along with them well or your experience will not be pleasant. You will be spending a lot of time with your co workers which you will get to know them very closely. Your chemistry with them may lead to a great experience -

Pros

Build great relationships with clients, Some Great staff, Able to do good work in the field (Depending on the program)

Cons

Poor and unprofessional management and staff, Terrible pay, barebones benefits, Cliques, 35 hour weekends, Underfunded houses, No Union

Bad pay and scam you for hours they want you certified but you pay and your free time and gas

Not paid for 6 weeks before first pay. NO raises minimum wage. Required First Aid CPR you pay you do NOT get paid to get recertified. Required to have UMAB 8 hrs UNPAID each yr Hamilton/Cambridge. YOU PAY GAS TRAVEL. If you work extra hours .They change your hours on you back to 8 hours. Management changes it back to 8 hours EVEN WHEN YOU PUT IN notes reasons. your always having to double check and contact management to try to change it . If for example you work 10pm-7am you come 9:45pm -9:55pm they will not pay you for even a second before the hour of your shift ONLY PAY YOU STARTING 10PM-7pm.Not paid a sec before or after and sometimes which program you are at staff show late

Find an agency who cares and pays more

Hatts off does not care about their employees or clients they serve . Long , Stressful hours .. upper management is dishonest and covers things up always. Not a place to be long term . Be careful of burnt out here. If i could give them 0 stars i would. Only worry about themselves not others. If you ask for a raise from your $14 you wont get it for 10 years might as well work at Mc Donalds.

Pros

Good Clients

Cons

Long Hours, Poor upper management, Looks as clients as dollar signs, don’t care about employees, do something wrong they will blame you and do everything to make them look good, Poor Agency

Miserable place to work

I would not even advise anyone apply. This is a starter job for anyone who wants to be mistreated and ignored. Definitely favouritism and complaints aren’t taken serious at all. Overall was happiest with the kids. They make it worth it. The employees are not there for them like they should be and are really mean.

Pros

The bonds you form with the kids that live there

Cons

Long hours. Favouritism. Disrespectful coworkers

Warning new ssws/cyws/cycs

Hatts Off is a terrible place to work. Abusive environment. No staff support. When I first started I had all the intentions to make a difference in the lives of others but this agency tainted that for me.It was here I realized how broken the system was. Not only for the youth that reside here but for the staff as well. I worked here for about 2 years and never received a raise or possibility of a significant advancement. During the initial stages of COVID there were absolutely no precautionary measures made by the agency or Supervisors. It's a lot of work for little pay. Good stepping stone for new SSWs, CYWs and CYCs but wouldn't recommend working here long-term.

Pros

Entry-level job for students

Cons

Abusive environment, no raises, no scheduled breaks, long hours, awake overnight shifts, insupportive staff

Badly managed. A for-profit business first and foremost.

If you want to work a job with long hours, high stress, low pay and management that doesn't care about you for a company that cares only about making money, then Hatts off is for you. A typical day depends on where you work and what shift. Tasks include assisting clients with daily routines, driving to visits and appointments, meal prep, cleaning and yardwork, paperwork, organizing activities such as outings or crafts. Unfortunately houses are chronically underfunded and understaffed and with very few exceptions, supervisors don't care. Even if you have a supervisor who does, the management above them doesn't. There is no criteria or requirements for employment so people with no qualifications or experience are working with high needs and high risk kids, and it shows. There is no fairness, and lots of favouritism. Staff who do nothing or break the law and are abusive towards kids are protected and keep their jobs while hard-working staff are run to the ground trying to make a difference. Overall, low pay and bad hours, constant lying, drama and a company who only cares about making a profit.

Cons

Terrible place to work, violent

Terrible place to work. Potentially very violent. Low low pay. For profit agency, very little goes back into program. Sometimes necessary to restrain clients in public where people spit on you. Not a nice or safe place to work.

Pros

I cant think of anything

Cons

long hours, poor pay, dangerous

It is a good life experience to work with the disadvantages children

Pay is not great and no room for personal advancement working with this agency. However, the management is very understandable sometimes given the nature of the work we do.

Stressful, long hours, terrible pay

This company pays its employees minimum wage to work in extremely hostile and stressful environments. They do not provide you with WSIB which you will need at some point while working here. They demand that you work alone at night which can set staff up to be seriously injured or traumatized. 16 hour Saturdays and 14 hour Sundays are mandatory as part of your 7 days on 7 days off work week. Completely awful company that does not care about you in any way.

Run!

I worked here for almost 6 years in a few different group homes as well as two foster homes. First and foremost, THIS IS NOT A CAREER PLACEMENT. Got it? Good. If you MUST work here, do it for your resume and to throw yourself completely into the fire. I was hired directly out of high school after showing up to an orientation with a friend. They took a look at me, said "Great, we need more guys here" and had me sit in and was working next week. No police check, no interview. Those are their standards. My first issue with Hatts Off came regarding their pay. YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR 6 WEEKS. I wanted to capitalize that because no one will tell you this. My friend and I were dirt poor, sleeping on couches and eating ramen noodles because we ran out of money to get home from work. They need to start telling new staff this so people can prepare for it. My second issue regarding their pay is the amount. My personal philosophy is you get what you pay for. They pay minimum wage, and they receive minimum effort (if that) from their staff. The kids definitely suffer because of this. Non-qualified staff who are burnt out from working overtime and stressed out because they can't afford to live are working in a very high stress environment. It's all a perfect recipe for disaster. I have personally seen upper management turn a blind eye to sexual abuse, physical abuse (towards kids and staff). It's all a money making machine for the people up top. They will cut corners, ignore issues and keep everything running on the cheap to make a dollar. The houses are falling apart and no one seems -

Pros

Experience

Cons

Long Hours, low pay, 6 week waiting period for first pay, poorly managed organization

Not a job for just anyone

A lot of your job experience at Hatts Off as a front line worker depends which home you are working at at which kids you are with. You never know what could happen, so it is kept interesting, but it is extremely stressful and the burnout rate is insane so if you can handle this you are a special type of person. Lots of responsibility and despite it's low pay it is a job to be taken seriously.

Pros

Meals provided while on shift

Cons

Long hours, stressful, low pay

wonderful place to work

typical day at work was busy trying to complete paper work many days would have a great time spending time with clients very family oriented hardest part of the job dealing with stressful situations most enjoyable seeing my clients succeed in life

Pros

Extremely Supportive Management

Cons

Stressful at times

Good Stepping Stone

Hatts off is a good stepping stone to get your foot in the door of child and youth work. but wages are minimal and staff longevity is not appreciated.

Up and down place to work

Very busy and unorganized , but i have gained lots of great experience and made great friends. When working in a good team it flows pretty well. But the clients can be quite difficult, but very good at heart

Pros

lots of hours

Cons

lack of management

Hatts Off Makes a Difference

My love for this company is more than words can say. My position is Shift coordinator. This company saves lives and is a hero to many children who have walked through the door of this company. I get that everyone has thier opinion, however at the end of the day, you make a difference even if you think you don't. Management do thier best and thier doors are always open, to the kids and staff. Their are many different sections in the company that you work. The best part if you need a change all you do is speak up, and they will help you find a more comfortable position. Mentor, Youth, Foster and you can even become a foster parent. If you are fresh out of school and your a spring chicken, this company is a vary good stepping stone to your dreams. Trust me I am living it. I can go on and on. About how great this company is. I think if you like this review you should try it out and see for yourself, make your own opinion. You only live once, and making a difference in a life that needs lot of tlc, you are on the great path to your dreams in making a difference in the eyes of a child, teenager, adult. And yourself....

Pros

Great Management. Kids are a blessings. You learn every day.

Cons

Every house needs a trampoline please....

not as good team enviroment

There are good things that I have enjoyed at working with Hatts Off. When i see a resident being successful at something that they believed they couldn't do. I believe more could be done in my job but alot of time money becomes an obstacle.

Pros

some great people work there

Cons

not enough resources available

Stable position, GREAT experience

definitely a starter job if just entering the field. Great experience working with youth with both behaviour and developmental differences. Does not pay well though. But full time works 7 days on 7 days off so pretty much you only work 6 months of the year!

Pros

flexible hours

Cons

Long hours, awful pay

Hats Off

I worked for Hatts Off for a while and it is a good learning experience the clientele are all very different and they are great to work with. You get to have some experience with higher needs clients or clients who have extreme behaviour issues. Some staff have no idea what they are doing of or they don't offer support so it is sometimes hard to do the job without support of your team. My overall experience at Hatts Off was fairly good although the pay could be better.

Pros

great experience, great clients

Cons

long hours, some staff are unprofessional

love this company and hate the pay lol

Great understanding company when it comes to personal problems and family issues. Usually fairly good support from management however pay compensation is very bad. Not much room for moving up in the field financially

Pros

amazing with family and work balance

Cons

horrible with pay

High stress, under appreciated, fast paced, low pay

A typical day at work would be, checking messages, making phone calls, perparing snack, greeting clients as they return from their day. planning shift, driving to and from appointments, making dinner, assisting with chores, programming i.e. library day, gym, hikes, weather appropeiate sports, at home activies ect. helping with homework, prepare snack, assist with bedtime routines, laundry, clean up, paper work, ballance house budget, make lunches for the next day. Management will tell you want you want to hear to get from you what they want, however will make things difficult for you to get assistance when needed. Management have favourites and do not use any for of fairness or senority and experience when makes a decision on advancment within the agency.

Pros

fun, educational, helping others, a sense of accoplishment

Cons

long hours, high stress, under appreicated

Long working hours,sleep deprivation if working an overnight, cooking, cleaning, providing guidance, transporting to and from appointments

A typical day would include transporting from school to group home, cooking meals, dispensing medications, providing guidance and counselling to clients, house cleaning, transporting to appointments, teaching life skills such as getting along with others, learning to do laundry, cooking, cleaning, research at libraries and advocating for clients. I learned much about interpersonal relationships, depersonalizing negative behaviour, working with clients with difficult histories and working on team.

Pros

Great staff

Cons

long hours, personal life often interupted, poor management support

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatts Off Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5