Hatts Off Inc. logo
Hatts Off Inc.

Hatts Off Inc. Management reviews

Clear

Okay to start

This company is okay to get your foot into the field but it's definitely not good long term. Management is absolutely chaotic and shady if you disagree with any they try to get you to do. The rules are ever changing depending on who you are and who your client is, it's hard to understand what is expected of you. The company always messes up people's pay and they are rude when you try to get them to correct. The best part is working with some of the clients who are absolutely sweet and usually just want someone to talk to.

Pros

Experience

Cons

Poor management, poor pay, lots of drama, expected to do jobs never mentioned in the job description

Bad pay and scam you for hours they want you certified but you pay and your free time and gas

Not paid for 6 weeks before first pay. NO raises minimum wage. Required First Aid CPR you pay you do NOT get paid to get recertified. Required to have UMAB 8 hrs UNPAID each yr Hamilton/Cambridge. YOU PAY GAS TRAVEL. If you work extra hours .They change your hours on you back to 8 hours. Management changes it back to 8 hours EVEN WHEN YOU PUT IN notes reasons. your always having to double check and contact management to try to change it . If for example you work 10pm-7am you come 9:45pm -9:55pm they will not pay you for even a second before the hour of your shift ONLY PAY YOU STARTING 10PM-7pm.Not paid a sec before or after and sometimes which program you are at staff show late

Find an agency who cares and pays more

Hatts off does not care about their employees or clients they serve . Long , Stressful hours .. upper management is dishonest and covers things up always. Not a place to be long term . Be careful of burnt out here. If i could give them 0 stars i would. Only worry about themselves not others. If you ask for a raise from your $14 you wont get it for 10 years might as well work at Mc Donalds.

Pros

Good Clients

Cons

Long Hours, Poor upper management, Looks as clients as dollar signs, don’t care about employees, do something wrong they will blame you and do everything to make them look good, Poor Agency

No For this Company!!!

Our Supervisor is so unprofessional! Poor management support, they're covering misconducts of the Supervisors. They only care for money not employees! DON'T APPLY HERE! it's not worth it! low salary with high turnovers!

Pros

free lunch, less aggressive clients

Cons

low salary, stressful environment, unprofessional co-workers, Unequality, Poor Management

Miserable place to work

I would not even advise anyone apply. This is a starter job for anyone who wants to be mistreated and ignored. Definitely favouritism and complaints aren’t taken serious at all. Overall was happiest with the kids. They make it worth it. The employees are not there for them like they should be and are really mean.

Pros

The bonds you form with the kids that live there

Cons

Long hours. Favouritism. Disrespectful coworkers

Pour Coffee before you EVER work for Hatts Off

Where to begin?From day one you will have no proper training, management is beyond horrible, supervisors are even more beyond hope! If you ask a question, you’re looked at as an idiot, if you try to figure something out on your own... your not a team player! This company is a disgrace from the top right on down!I do feel for the front line workers who do their jobs for peanuts but do things they shouldn’t be without being trained! If your thinking about this field of work... please do not work for this company! You will lose your passion for the field of work!!!

Pros

Absolutely nothing!

Cons

Absolutely everything

Somewhere to start?

Its a place to start a professional career in child and youth care; though it should be mentioned they hire just about anyone - particularly if you are related to, or sleep with management. Terribly toxic work environment, abundantly clear they do not care for their employees or children. Very much a clique in management, you have to snake your way in if you want to move up the company ladder. Some programs are better than others. Some people are too.Just be ready to do absolutely all the work with little to no training, and no support from management.If you love your work and the children you work with, it is rewarding, and can be enjoyable. I advise you to seek employment elsewhere if possible.

Pros

Free Food, Casual Dress, Free Activities and Events, Decent Benefits, Somewhat Relaxed Environment, 7 Days on 7 Days Off Schedule

Cons

Terrible Management, Appalling Pay

Anywhere is better than Hatts Off: A Brutally Honest Review

I am a former Hatts Off employee; both Relief and Full time since 2016 in residential and foster care. I am going to write a balanced review but I will be brutally honest on both sides. First I will say that I am proud of the work I have done working with my clients over the years who I have built some very strong relationships. This was my first job in the field and it was an exciting time for me to get to work in my chosen career. You get to wear many hats (pun intended), like being a parental figure, a counselor, a caregiver, and a mentor. You will spend most of your job "living with the clients" so you will get to know them quite well; What their strengths and challenges are. Most clients are great to work with and you will meet many personalities. The most rewarding moments is when they make that progress. One particular area is when clients and family are able to come together and build better relations. I am grateful to have been able to work with some passionate and dedicated staff who always put the clients first. Even in difficult times, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. Unfortunately although you may have many positive experiences, you are likely to have a lot of negative ones as well. This is based on my experience and yours may be differ completely. You will only be working with one or two people so hope that you get along with them well or your experience will not be pleasant. You will be spending a lot of time with your co workers which you will get to know them very closely. Your chemistry with them may lead to a great experience -

Pros

Build great relationships with clients, Some Great staff, Able to do good work in the field (Depending on the program)

Cons

Poor and unprofessional management and staff, Terrible pay, barebones benefits, Cliques, 35 hour weekends, Underfunded houses, No Union

Terrible experience working for this company

I worked at Cam's program and I have to say I've never had such a neglectful mentor. Not only is he never there, but he doesn't even know what's going on when he is there. He's a nightmare to work with and he makes up lies about the clients AND the staff. He isn't there on weekends and collects money out of the staff's pocket. Disgusting company, and disgusting employees who they cover for.

Awesome Staff, able to develop a lot of skills here

Awesome group of staff and clients to work with. Have found that Management is quick to address issues or concerns when brought to them. Have found some "bad apple" staff who complain about wage, feel they should be payed more for less work or feel they should get more money when their qualifications do not even warrant it. These people leave nasty messages to other staff, post online horrible accusations and feedback that is not true. When brought to a supervisor or upper management attention they try to work with these people to support them but these people try to poison others. These people are managed and when they are unwilling to grow and be a positive force on a team and with clients they are let go ( as they should be). I love this agency it has allowed me to grow, all positions advertised including supervisory or director positions and all front line are internally advertised and open for everyone to apply to. If your eager to work, motivated, willing to be diverse and open minded and want to advance in a company I suggest you apply here. If you want it you will succeed it is all in your attitude Thank You to my supervisor, coworkers and management of Hatts Off

Understaffed & underpaid

Good for experience but not worth the minimum wage. Very unprofessional, understaffed and stressful environment especially when the staff talk bad about each other. They make you wait for your first pay for about over a month. They make you sleep on couches that were very unsanitary better off sleeping in a sleeping bag on the floor. No hours. Wouldn’t recommend a long term employment.

Badly managed. A for-profit business first and foremost.

If you want to work a job with long hours, high stress, low pay and management that doesn't care about you for a company that cares only about making money, then Hatts off is for you. A typical day depends on where you work and what shift. Tasks include assisting clients with daily routines, driving to visits and appointments, meal prep, cleaning and yardwork, paperwork, organizing activities such as outings or crafts. Unfortunately houses are chronically underfunded and understaffed and with very few exceptions, supervisors don't care. Even if you have a supervisor who does, the management above them doesn't. There is no criteria or requirements for employment so people with no qualifications or experience are working with high needs and high risk kids, and it shows. There is no fairness, and lots of favouritism. Staff who do nothing or break the law and are abusive towards kids are protected and keep their jobs while hard-working staff are run to the ground trying to make a difference. Overall, low pay and bad hours, constant lying, drama and a company who only cares about making a profit.

HattsOff Survival guide

an essay wouldn't be enough to be quite frank. The worst thing about this company is management. As a support staff you will have House Mentors (basically a den mother) pass on a majority of their obligations, while not fulfilling their roles but collecting cheques meanwhile you're making $15/h to start (unfair wage:responsibility ratio) Basically how it works is there are staff that do shift work and there is a house mentor. The house mentor is in charge of the house and required to sleep their from mon-thurs + weekends (fri-sun) unless they pay someone work their overnights/weekends. THE AMOUNT OF MENTORS THAT DO NOT SLEEP AND THEIR PROGRAMS and do not have staff to cover so they can still collect the overnight money is absurd - sleeping there isn't their only role and good luck finding out what they're obligations are because they wont tell you. IF YOU KNOW then they'll have to do their jobs The schedules can be super inflexible - because staff are robots It is mandatory to participate in the group med plan (which - no surprise - is trash) AND HEADS UP after the 6m mark, if you do not hand in your application within a reasonable timeframe they will automatically charge you family rate of $170 a month vs the single rate of $70. How do you know when to apply you ask? They ARE SUPPOSE to send it to you around your 6m , but their communications are also trash so if you don't ask for it, it wont happen and then boom and additional $170 is hopping out that paycheck. Their communication 1/10 and on top of that many of HattsOff "upper" employees do not like -

It is a good life experience to work with the disadvantages children

Pay is not great and no room for personal advancement working with this agency. However, the management is very understandable sometimes given the nature of the work we do.

Poor Management

This Company should pay employees more money for the duities they expect staff to do. Management has poor communication. It takes six weeks to get your first paycheck which no one tells you about. When your short on your pay check they do not sort it out or get back to you. Milage is not paid out in time or at all. Respect is not shown to employees. There are clicks that this company if your not I. The click you will have a hard time in the company.

Stressful, long hours, terrible pay

This company pays its employees minimum wage to work in extremely hostile and stressful environments. They do not provide you with WSIB which you will need at some point while working here. They demand that you work alone at night which can set staff up to be seriously injured or traumatized. 16 hour Saturdays and 14 hour Sundays are mandatory as part of your 7 days on 7 days off work week. Completely awful company that does not care about you in any way.

Busy company

You often work excessive hours, for a very small pay check. Management could use some training in understanding the employees rights and responsibilities

Run!

I worked here for almost 6 years in a few different group homes as well as two foster homes. First and foremost, THIS IS NOT A CAREER PLACEMENT. Got it? Good. If you MUST work here, do it for your resume and to throw yourself completely into the fire. I was hired directly out of high school after showing up to an orientation with a friend. They took a look at me, said "Great, we need more guys here" and had me sit in and was working next week. No police check, no interview. Those are their standards. My first issue with Hatts Off came regarding their pay. YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR 6 WEEKS. I wanted to capitalize that because no one will tell you this. My friend and I were dirt poor, sleeping on couches and eating ramen noodles because we ran out of money to get home from work. They need to start telling new staff this so people can prepare for it. My second issue regarding their pay is the amount. My personal philosophy is you get what you pay for. They pay minimum wage, and they receive minimum effort (if that) from their staff. The kids definitely suffer because of this. Non-qualified staff who are burnt out from working overtime and stressed out because they can't afford to live are working in a very high stress environment. It's all a perfect recipe for disaster. I have personally seen upper management turn a blind eye to sexual abuse, physical abuse (towards kids and staff). It's all a money making machine for the people up top. They will cut corners, ignore issues and keep everything running on the cheap to make a dollar. The houses are falling apart and no one seems -

Pros

Experience

Cons

Long Hours, low pay, 6 week waiting period for first pay, poorly managed organization

A good stepping stone for a resume but nothing more. Avoid if you can

I am a former Hatts off employee who worked full time and relief. As a staff you have many roles to fill as a parental figure, counselor, and care giver. As well as doing paper work. You will work with only a few number of people so hope that you have great chemistry with these people, otherwise it will not be a pleasant experience. It is a very high stress job and if you do not get a long with the other staff it will be even more stressful. I will start off by staying this was the first job I had in the field, and I am very appreciative of everything I learned and the positive experiences I had. I am also grateful to the stand out staff who actually cared about their work and were genuine people who gave me inspiration when there was difficult times. I was able to develop great bonds with the clients and was able to contribute in a great way in their lives which I am very proud. Unfortunately although you will have some great positive experiences, hatts off has created a cultural atmosphere that allows for certain staff to be unprofessional. First the outrageous minimum wage that the agency pays is just one of the factors into why some staff (mostly relief) are lazy and voluntarily incompetent? This includes sitting around all day on their phone and doing nothing when there are issues present. Also making med errors or being negligent when filling out med paper work. All of it reported but nothing was done. The management was more about making money rather than focusing most of their time on support for the staff and clients. I.e putting high risk youth into programs -

Pros

Good stepping stone for experience, Some good staff, most clients are great to work with, able to build bonds and make worthy contributions in youth lives

Cons

Terrible pay, a job culture that promotes laziness and unprofessionalism, cliques, poor management

Dont do it

I heed warning to any person who chooses to put in an application into this place. There is constant turn over due to poor pay. For regular full-time staff, this means you are working alone or with deeply unqualified people to run a household that may have 4-6 clients. This is a business first and foremost.

Pros

Hard to say

Cons

poor culture, poor pay, poor management

wonderful place to work

typical day at work was busy trying to complete paper work many days would have a great time spending time with clients very family oriented hardest part of the job dealing with stressful situations most enjoyable seeing my clients succeed in life

Pros

Extremely Supportive Management

Cons

Stressful at times

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatts Off Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.5