Hatts Off Inc. logo

Hatts Off Inc. Job security & advancement reviews

Clear
2.4Job security & advancement

Somewhere to start?

Its a place to start a professional career in child and youth care; though it should be mentioned they hire just about anyone - particularly if you are related to, or sleep with management. Terribly toxic work environment, abundantly clear they do not care for their employees or children. Very much a clique in management, you have to snake your way in if you want to move up the company ladder. Some programs are better than others. Some people are too.Just be ready to do absolutely all the work with little to no training, and no support from management.If you love your work and the children you work with, it is rewarding, and can be enjoyable. I advise you to seek employment elsewhere if possible.

Pros

Free Food, Casual Dress, Free Activities and Events, Decent Benefits, Somewhat Relaxed Environment, 7 Days on 7 Days Off Schedule

Cons

Terrible Management, Appalling Pay

Bad pay and scam you for hours they want you certified but you pay and your free time and gas

Not paid for 6 weeks before first pay. NO raises minimum wage. Required First Aid CPR you pay you do NOT get paid to get recertified. Required to have UMAB 8 hrs UNPAID each yr Hamilton/Cambridge. YOU PAY GAS TRAVEL. If you work extra hours .They change your hours on you back to 8 hours. Management changes it back to 8 hours EVEN WHEN YOU PUT IN notes reasons. your always having to double check and contact management to try to change it . If for example you work 10pm-7am you come 9:45pm -9:55pm they will not pay you for even a second before the hour of your shift ONLY PAY YOU STARTING 10PM-7pm.Not paid a sec before or after and sometimes which program you are at staff show late

Find an agency who cares and pays more

Hatts off does not care about their employees or clients they serve . Long , Stressful hours .. upper management is dishonest and covers things up always. Not a place to be long term . Be careful of burnt out here. If i could give them 0 stars i would. Only worry about themselves not others. If you ask for a raise from your $14 you wont get it for 10 years might as well work at Mc Donalds.

Pros

Good Clients

Cons

Long Hours, Poor upper management, Looks as clients as dollar signs, don’t care about employees, do something wrong they will blame you and do everything to make them look good, Poor Agency

Warning new ssws/cyws/cycs

Hatts Off is a terrible place to work. Abusive environment. No staff support. When I first started I had all the intentions to make a difference in the lives of others but this agency tainted that for me.It was here I realized how broken the system was. Not only for the youth that reside here but for the staff as well. I worked here for about 2 years and never received a raise or possibility of a significant advancement. During the initial stages of COVID there were absolutely no precautionary measures made by the agency or Supervisors. It's a lot of work for little pay. Good stepping stone for new SSWs, CYWs and CYCs but wouldn't recommend working here long-term.

Pros

Entry-level job for students

Cons

Abusive environment, no raises, no scheduled breaks, long hours, awake overnight shifts, insupportive staff

Anywhere is better than Hatts Off: A Brutally Honest Review

I am a former Hatts Off employee; both Relief and Full time since 2016 in residential and foster care. I am going to write a balanced review but I will be brutally honest on both sides. First I will say that I am proud of the work I have done working with my clients over the years who I have built some very strong relationships. This was my first job in the field and it was an exciting time for me to get to work in my chosen career. You get to wear many hats (pun intended), like being a parental figure, a counselor, a caregiver, and a mentor. You will spend most of your job "living with the clients" so you will get to know them quite well; What their strengths and challenges are. Most clients are great to work with and you will meet many personalities. The most rewarding moments is when they make that progress. One particular area is when clients and family are able to come together and build better relations. I am grateful to have been able to work with some passionate and dedicated staff who always put the clients first. Even in difficult times, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. Unfortunately although you may have many positive experiences, you are likely to have a lot of negative ones as well. This is based on my experience and yours may be differ completely. You will only be working with one or two people so hope that you get along with them well or your experience will not be pleasant. You will be spending a lot of time with your co workers which you will get to know them very closely. Your chemistry with them may lead to a great experience -

Pros

Build great relationships with clients, Some Great staff, Able to do good work in the field (Depending on the program)

Cons

Poor and unprofessional management and staff, Terrible pay, barebones benefits, Cliques, 35 hour weekends, Underfunded houses, No Union

It is a good life experience to work with the disadvantages children

Pay is not great and no room for personal advancement working with this agency. However, the management is very understandable sometimes given the nature of the work we do.

Run!

I worked here for almost 6 years in a few different group homes as well as two foster homes. First and foremost, THIS IS NOT A CAREER PLACEMENT. Got it? Good. If you MUST work here, do it for your resume and to throw yourself completely into the fire. I was hired directly out of high school after showing up to an orientation with a friend. They took a look at me, said "Great, we need more guys here" and had me sit in and was working next week. No police check, no interview. Those are their standards. My first issue with Hatts Off came regarding their pay. YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR 6 WEEKS. I wanted to capitalize that because no one will tell you this. My friend and I were dirt poor, sleeping on couches and eating ramen noodles because we ran out of money to get home from work. They need to start telling new staff this so people can prepare for it. My second issue regarding their pay is the amount. My personal philosophy is you get what you pay for. They pay minimum wage, and they receive minimum effort (if that) from their staff. The kids definitely suffer because of this. Non-qualified staff who are burnt out from working overtime and stressed out because they can't afford to live are working in a very high stress environment. It's all a perfect recipe for disaster. I have personally seen upper management turn a blind eye to sexual abuse, physical abuse (towards kids and staff). It's all a money making machine for the people up top. They will cut corners, ignore issues and keep everything running on the cheap to make a dollar. The houses are falling apart and no one seems -

Pros

Experience

Cons

Long Hours, low pay, 6 week waiting period for first pay, poorly managed organization

Good Stepping Stone

Hatts off is a good stepping stone to get your foot in the door of child and youth work. but wages are minimal and staff longevity is not appreciated.

no room for growth

with 2 degrees and years of experience, I will still only earn less than 29k / year. There is not structure and the kids are left to their own devices.

Pros

Cons

everything

love this company and hate the pay lol

Great understanding company when it comes to personal problems and family issues. Usually fairly good support from management however pay compensation is very bad. Not much room for moving up in the field financially

Pros

amazing with family and work balance

Cons

horrible with pay

Jobs at Hatts Off Inc.