Hatts Off Inc. logo
Hatts Off Inc.

Hatts Off Inc. Culture reviews

Clear

Anywhere is better than Hatts Off: A Brutally Honest Review

I am a former Hatts Off employee; both Relief and Full time since 2016 in residential and foster care. I am going to write a balanced review but I will be brutally honest on both sides. First I will say that I am proud of the work I have done working with my clients over the years who I have built some very strong relationships. This was my first job in the field and it was an exciting time for me to get to work in my chosen career. You get to wear many hats (pun intended), like being a parental figure, a counselor, a caregiver, and a mentor. You will spend most of your job "living with the clients" so you will get to know them quite well; What their strengths and challenges are. Most clients are great to work with and you will meet many personalities. The most rewarding moments is when they make that progress. One particular area is when clients and family are able to come together and build better relations. I am grateful to have been able to work with some passionate and dedicated staff who always put the clients first. Even in difficult times, I wouldn't want to be with anyone else. Unfortunately although you may have many positive experiences, you are likely to have a lot of negative ones as well. This is based on my experience and yours may be differ completely. You will only be working with one or two people so hope that you get along with them well or your experience will not be pleasant. You will be spending a lot of time with your co workers which you will get to know them very closely. Your chemistry with them may lead to a great experience -

Pros

Build great relationships with clients, Some Great staff, Able to do good work in the field (Depending on the program)

Cons

Poor and unprofessional management and staff, Terrible pay, barebones benefits, Cliques, 35 hour weekends, Underfunded houses, No Union

Positive workplace and professional staff

Hatt's Off Inc. is a wonderful place to work with a friendly atmosphere and a very professional staff. They always strive for excellence within their workplace and go above and beyond in the treatment of their clients.

A good stepping stone for a resume but nothing more. Avoid if you can

I am a former Hatts off employee who worked full time and relief. As a staff you have many roles to fill as a parental figure, counselor, and care giver. As well as doing paper work. You will work with only a few number of people so hope that you have great chemistry with these people, otherwise it will not be a pleasant experience. It is a very high stress job and if you do not get a long with the other staff it will be even more stressful. I will start off by staying this was the first job I had in the field, and I am very appreciative of everything I learned and the positive experiences I had. I am also grateful to the stand out staff who actually cared about their work and were genuine people who gave me inspiration when there was difficult times. I was able to develop great bonds with the clients and was able to contribute in a great way in their lives which I am very proud. Unfortunately although you will have some great positive experiences, hatts off has created a cultural atmosphere that allows for certain staff to be unprofessional. First the outrageous minimum wage that the agency pays is just one of the factors into why some staff (mostly relief) are lazy and voluntarily incompetent? This includes sitting around all day on their phone and doing nothing when there are issues present. Also making med errors or being negligent when filling out med paper work. All of it reported but nothing was done. The management was more about making money rather than focusing most of their time on support for the staff and clients. I.e putting high risk youth into programs -

Pros

Good stepping stone for experience, Some good staff, most clients are great to work with, able to build bonds and make worthy contributions in youth lives

Cons

Terrible pay, a job culture that promotes laziness and unprofessionalism, cliques, poor management

Dont do it

I heed warning to any person who chooses to put in an application into this place. There is constant turn over due to poor pay. For regular full-time staff, this means you are working alone or with deeply unqualified people to run a household that may have 4-6 clients. This is a business first and foremost.

Pros

Hard to say

Cons

poor culture, poor pay, poor management

Attending to the needs of youth in a group home setting. management was very helpful. lots of training provided. worked alone most of the time Most enjoyable part of the job was to see persons exceed

Complete Nightmare

There is little to no communication with this organization and when there is it's miscommunication. You're left playing phone tag trying to get the information you need. Other times arrangements are made directly affecting you and no one cares to tell you - only once it's happening are you made aware. If you can drive brace yourself for making numerous trips (ie to and from Toronto) without your say. Good luck finding someone to cover a shift if you're in KW: 95% of relief list is staff in Hamilton area and are unable to commute. Not surprisingly a lot of staff are burnt out. Poor job culture - majority of staff don't want to be there. Staff can be childish, lazy, and work poorly with others (ie pawning off duties, all going outside of the house at once to chat). When you combine the lack of communication, complete disregard for your personal time and commitments, and the negative environment it's an exhausting place to work and I found myself frequently stressed and sick.

Cons

Overtime without being asked, no communication, very low wage, some lazy staff, no structure

Fun and Professional

I helped open the new restaurant in Brantford. The staff and management team were fantastic to work with/for. Great family atmosphere! I, as the bartender, performed daily opening and closing of the whole restaurant, alongside management.

family zone

a typical day at work for me is like being with my family. With my co-workers and clientele we are able to have a healthy balance structure and fun.

Pros

vacation every other week

Cons

sometimes accepts to much responsibility

Jobs at Hatts Off Inc.