Hatts Off Inc. Employee Reviews

Busy company
Community Service Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 May 2019
You often work excessive hours, for a very small pay check.
Management could use some training in understanding the employees rights and responsibilities
horrible....i have ptsd from working there
psw (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON26 February 2019
This company doesn't even deserve any stars....they treat their employees like garbage. Of all the years in the company the owner has only come twice to the group home I worked.
Disappointment after Disappointment
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON21 February 2019
I have experience as a Child and Youth Worker in group homes. I had a very good understanding of the job going into it.
I was placed in a home - lasted one shift. My main problem was how filthy that home was from top to bottom, I didn't even want to sit anywhere. The location did not work out for me as well.
I was then placed in another home - again filthy. I understand you cant have nice things in the homes in case of an outburst by a child or used violently etc but ...this was horrible.
The staff I worked with - I saw some things that were NOT okay and I did not approve of. The way staff spoke to the kids and mentored them was unbelievable. I worked a full week, gave the job a lot of thought. Worked a few more days after that, when I saw the same absurd things everyday morning and afternoon and no changes being made I thought that was it for me. I couldn't go to work everyday being disgusted at the way staff spoke to these CHILDREN and dealt with them when they did something wrong. The fact that Hatts off hired people like this to be a Child and Youth Worker I will never understand.
Not to mention the staff I worked with in the homes were not very helpful to me. They did not give me the run down of the home, they let me see things and learn. Every person has different backgrounds and a different trauma they experienced - it takes time to get to know each and every kid in the home and they were not helpful in terms of assisting me at all.
I also felt at times I was babied by other staff. I have experience - let me try to make the situation calm down and then you can
  more... come interrupt me and go from there. They did not let me TRY. Every time I was alone with a child solving a problem, the problem got solved. Times when it didn't get solved was because I was constantly being interrupted by other staff thinking I couldn't handle it.
Overall, terrible place to be employed.
Pay was garbage for what you deal with on a day to day basis.
Pros
Sometimes I got to leave early from my shift
Cons
All of the above
Positive workplace and professional staff
Teaching Assistant (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON11 January 2019
Hatt's Off Inc. is a wonderful place to work with a friendly atmosphere and a very professional staff. They always strive for excellence within their workplace and go above and beyond in the treatment of their clients.
Run!
CYW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON27 October 2018
I worked here for almost 6 years in a few different group homes as well as two foster homes. First and foremost, THIS IS NOT A CAREER PLACEMENT. Got it? Good. If you MUST work here, do it for your resume and to throw yourself completely into the fire. I was hired directly out of high school after showing up to an orientation with a friend. They took a look at me, said "Great, we need more guys here" and had me sit in and was working next week. No police check, no interview. Those are their standards.

My first issue with Hatts Off came regarding their pay. YOU DO NOT GET PAID FOR 6 WEEKS. I wanted to capitalize that because no one will tell you this. My friend and I were dirt poor, sleeping on couches and eating ramen noodles because we ran out of money to get home from work. They need to start telling new staff this so people can prepare for it. My second issue regarding their pay is the amount. My personal philosophy is you get what you pay for. They pay minimum wage, and they receive minimum effort (if that) from their staff. The kids definitely suffer because of this. Non-qualified staff who are burnt out from working overtime and stressed out because they can't afford to live are working in a very high stress environment. It's all a perfect recipe for disaster.

I have personally seen upper management turn a blind eye to sexual abuse, physical abuse (towards kids and staff). It's all a money making machine for the people up top. They will cut corners, ignore issues and keep everything running on the cheap to make a dollar. The houses are falling apart and no one seems
  more... to care.

I could go on and on for a long time. What I really want to get across is that if you are having trouble getting into the field, Hatts Off will hire you no problem, but give yourself a year or less to get out.
Pros
Experience
Cons
Long Hours, low pay, 6 week waiting period for first pay, poorly managed organization
A good stepping stone for a resume but nothing more. Avoid if you can
CYW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 October 2018
I am a former Hatts off employee who worked full time and relief.

As a staff you have many roles to fill as a parental figure, counselor, and care giver. As well as doing paper work. You will work with only a few number of people so hope that you have great chemistry with these people, otherwise it will not be a pleasant experience. It is a very high stress job and if you do not get a long with the other staff it will be even more stressful.

I will start off by staying this was the first job I had in the field, and I am very appreciative of everything I learned and the positive experiences I had. I am also grateful to the stand out staff who actually cared about their work and were genuine people who gave me inspiration when there was difficult times. I was able to develop great bonds with the clients and was able to contribute in a great way in their lives which I am very proud.

Unfortunately although you will have some great positive experiences, hatts off has created a cultural atmosphere that allows for certain staff to be unprofessional. First the outrageous minimum wage that the agency pays is just one of the factors into why some staff (mostly relief) are lazy and voluntarily incompetent? This includes sitting around all day on their phone and doing nothing when there are issues present. Also making med errors or being negligent when filling out med paper work. All of it reported but nothing was done. The management was more about making money rather than focusing most of their time on support for the staff and clients. I.e putting high risk youth into programs
  more... they don't fit in, simply because the agency will make money off the bed.

Although there were a select number of staff that I loved working with because of their love the work and being genuine, there more staff there that either were burnt out or didn't want to be there or did not possess the character for this work and they made this clear which set up not only the clients for issues but the staff working with them.

I was socially excluded and bullied by certain staff while I was there. I also saw a lot of unprofessional conduct by staff and management.

With the amount of work you have to do, and the extreme stress you can take on depending on the program, making minimum wage just isn't worth it long term. There is no way you could support a family on this wage. It really is a slap in the face to the staff there. There is also no real room to evolve in this agency, even as coordinator your pay only goes a up a bit.

Hatts off also has a history of hiring people who don't have a background in the field or experience which sets up a whole new set of issues. Don't get me wrong, I've seen some people with no education in the field become great staff but I have also seen people hired who create a lot of problems and become habitual issue causers and are protected!

Depending on the personality and skills of your coordinator or supervisor, your time there could be amazing or a nightmare. (you can have great team work and feel valued or have poor communication and not feel part of the team)

My suggestion would be if you are coming out of college and you absolutely cannot find a job in the field or perhaps you are looking for something as a placement during college, pick hatts off as a learning experience and a stepping stone to get some experience on your resume. These are my experiences and you may have a great experience while you are there. Or at least making the best with what you are given. Stand up for yourself there and if you have a concern, say it, otherwise you will be walked all over.

I wish everyone the very best with their job search. If possible avoid hatts off cause there is so many other agencies that pay more and treat their employees with respect.
Pros
Good stepping stone for experience, Some good staff, most clients are great to work with, able to build bonds and make worthy contributions in youth lives
Cons
Terrible pay, a job culture that promotes laziness and unprofessionalism, cliques, poor management
Not a job for just anyone
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 October 2018
A lot of your job experience at Hatts Off as a front line worker depends which home you are working at at which kids you are with. You never know what could happen, so it is kept interesting, but it is extremely stressful and the burnout rate is insane so if you can handle this you are a special type of person. Lots of responsibility and despite it's low pay it is a job to be taken seriously.
Pros
Meals provided while on shift
Cons
Long hours, stressful, low pay
Dont do it
CYW (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 September 2018
I heed warning to any person who chooses to put in an application into this place. There is constant turn over due to poor pay. For regular full-time staff, this means you are working alone or with deeply unqualified people to run a household that may have 4-6 clients. This is a business first and foremost.
Pros
Hard to say
Cons
poor culture, poor pay, poor management
wonderful place to work
Child and Youth Worker (Current Employee) –  Stratford, ON23 August 2018
typical day at work was busy trying to complete paper work
many days would have a great time spending time with clients
very family oriented
hardest part of the job dealing with stressful situations
most enjoyable seeing my clients succeed in life
Pros
Extremely Supportive Management
Cons
Stressful at times
Not a good place
private (Former Employee) –  private7 August 2018
Low pay, supervisor not involved with staff or issues.
Not a good place to work
You work 6 weeks before you even get a pay
To travel for certification they do not pay you travel
Cons
low pay, lack of respect from supervisors
Worst experience of my year
Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 June 2018
The staff do not know how to communicate properly they are very unorganized leaving kids at the house for longer than 30minutes-4h . The house constantly has no food, the staff constantly argue with their clients.
The hats off program that is reviewed is located at 87 Barnesdale Ave n.
Pros
Cons
Stress, arguements, rude comments, disregard for personal space
Good Stepping Stone
Group Home Staff (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 June 2018
Hatts off is a good stepping stone to get your foot in the door of child and youth work. but wages are minimal and staff longevity is not appreciated.
Up and down place to work
Full Time Child and youth worker (Current Employee) –  Kitchener, ON11 March 2018
Very busy and unorganized , but i have gained lots of great experience and made great friends. When working in a good team it flows pretty well. But the clients can be quite difficult, but very good at heart
Pros
lots of hours
Cons
lack of management
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON18 January 2018
Attending to the needs of youth in a group home setting.
management was very helpful.
lots of training provided.
worked alone most of the time
Most enjoyable part of the job was to see persons exceed
Low pay long hours
Relief Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON6 January 2018
The pay is just over minimum wage. The policies vary from group home to group home, the kids are great but the staff sometimes treat them as a commodity. It's hard to make the right call at times because it's very unorganized.
Pros
Outings
Cons
Low pay
Hatts Off Makes a Difference
Shift Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 August 2017
My love for this company is more than words can say. My position is Shift coordinator. This company saves lives and is a hero to many children who have walked through the door of this company.
I get that everyone has thier opinion, however at the end of the day, you make a difference even if you think you don't. Management do thier best and thier doors are always open, to the kids and staff.

Their are many different sections in the company that you work. The best part if you need a change all you do is speak up, and they will help you find a more comfortable position.

Mentor, Youth, Foster and you can even become a foster parent.

If you are fresh out of school and your a spring chicken, this company is a vary good stepping stone to your dreams. Trust me I am living it.

I can go on and on. About how great this company is. I think if you like this review you should try it out and see for yourself, make your own opinion. You only live once, and making a difference in a life that needs lot of tlc, you are on the great path to your dreams in making a difference in the eyes of a child, teenager, adult. And yourself....
Pros
Great Management. Kids are a blessings. You learn every day.
Cons
Every house needs a trampoline please....
Complete Nightmare
Child and Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener-Waterloo, ON14 August 2017
There is little to no communication with this organization and when there is it's miscommunication. You're left playing phone tag trying to get the information you need. Other times arrangements are made directly affecting you and no one cares to tell you - only once it's happening are you made aware.
If you can drive brace yourself for making numerous trips (ie to and from Toronto) without your say.
Good luck finding someone to cover a shift if you're in KW: 95% of relief list is staff in Hamilton area and are unable to commute.
Not surprisingly a lot of staff are burnt out. Poor job culture - majority of staff don't want to be there. Staff can be childish, lazy, and work poorly with others (ie pawning off duties, all going outside of the house at once to chat).

When you combine the lack of communication, complete disregard for your personal time and commitments, and the negative environment it's an exhausting place to work and I found myself frequently stressed and sick.
Cons
Overtime without being asked, no communication, very low wage, some lazy staff, no structure
no room for growth
Child Youth Worker (Former Employee) –  Stratford, ON21 July 2017
with 2 degrees and years of experience, I will still only earn less than 29k / year. There is not structure and the kids are left to their own devices.
Pros
Cons
everything
student
PRIME WORKER (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON19 July 2017
good organization, a little underrun, underpaid however its all by private funding so there is that. the people working there are nice. so yeah. i was also a student
Fun and Professional
Child and Youth Worker/ Prime Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON12 July 2017
I helped open the new restaurant in Brantford. The staff and management team were fantastic to work with/for. Great family atmosphere! I, as the bartender, performed daily opening and closing of the whole restaurant, alongside management.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatts Off Inc.. Our community is ready to answer.

2.8