Hatch

Clear
3.7Pay & benefits

projectminingengineeringengineersalaryinterestingtravellearning

Poorly managed company

Privately traded with shares being given to a small portion of employees. If you can get shares, compensation is great otherwise you will fall behind quick.

Lots of new projects

Management at Niagara Falls office is great. Helped me in getting more experienced in number of diverse projects. Every projects is different from its predecessor

Pros

Diverse projects to work on

Cons

Not enough salary

Insights into Hatch

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Fun workplace with Gym and various activities

Enjoy working at office. We have all activities and have fun. Drawback we don’t get free beverages and if needed we have to buy coffee and snacks if needed.

Pros

Office Time

Cons

Colleagues attitude

Great Place to work

The company has astrong footing in various government projects throughout Canada as its local having its headquarters in Mississauga.Excellent team members who are highly collaborative. Good structured teams with well defined deliverables.

Pros

Great pension and medical benefits.

Hit and miss

Your experience will vary based on who your manager is. However your salary will be below market average because the old guard are raking in obscene dividends with their shares. Intermediates do the work, seniors review and pocket the dividend. You take home 85% of what your friends at other companies do.

Pros

Interesting projects

Cons

Frequent lack of professionalism and ethics from management

productive and a fun place to work.

productive and fun place to work. no politics played around. management appreciates hardworking employees. field trip with free lunches and free transportation from and to site.

Pros

sometimes there’s free lunches

Cons

no overtime

Typical big consulting company with terrible management, low pay, political environment, but great learning for EITs

The job oscillates from super busy to not busy at all, but the projects can be very interesting. There are also great people in the organization, you can work with different offices in different parts of the world.I started as an EIT and learned a lot from senior engineers. It's a good place to start your career.However, in Hatch you either start with a good salary and shares, or you pretty much never getting them. Hatch is advertised as an employee owned company, but in fact 5% of people have 90% of shares. That means that managers push young engineers into never ending harsh assignments (to make 50% of what the site employees make) with the prospect of getting shares one day. This day never comes for many, that leave the company frustrated (not my case I was just never offered). There is a big disconnect between managers/shareholders and the regular employee and you can tell this is hurting the company by the amount of people leaving or wanting to leave.In the Saskatoon office management can be pretty terrible and you can be buried by your supervisor quite easily. Overall, its surprisingly unstructured for such a huge company, management is terrible, pay is below average, colleagues can be awesome, but there is a lot of politics and competition. In my opinion is a company starting your career then moving along.

Pros

Guidance when starting the career

Cons

Management, Computer hardware, salary, benefits, politics, shareholder, highs and lows in workload, competition between employees

Great experiences and opportunities here!

This was my first job out of college and I had so many opportunities to learn different jobs. The career evaluations allow you to communicate with your supervisor if you are interested in learning new things. And they actually listen to you! I had local opportunities and remote opportunities ! The office (in Niagara Falls) was full of senior staff more than willing to coach and mentor. The pay scales are structured with specific milestones so you know you will not be stuck at the same wage forever. Their benefits package and pension package were also amazing ! If you are lucky to qualify for a local position...I say apply for it!

Pros

Regular "town hall meetings" held by executives, lunch and learn seminars, dress down Fridays, managers communicate really well, big variety of projects and opportunities

Challenging but rewarding

Hatch, in general, is a positive work environment with people always willing to teach and learn from you. There is a sense of community at Hatch with a collaborative and relationship building foundation. The CEO is affable, and the company takes good care of its employees in terms of benefits and flexibility, overall. I’ve worked in the Risk Management department for some time now and have learned a lot. The department is growing and has a lot of people from different parts of the world with different skill sets that you can draw on. The risk team is welcoming, open to sharing ideas and lessons learned from previous experiences.

Depende del proyecto y del equipo

En general esta bien. Tu tranquilidad y salud mental va a depender con el equipo de trabajo con el q te toque trabajar. En algunos proyectos pueden ser bastante complicados y con las personas menos indicadas puede ser una pesadilla.

Pros

Salario

Cons

Mucho caso de enfermedad por buen out

Typical Large Engineering Consulting Firm

Overall it was a good place to work, salary was fair and benefits were good. I felt I got lost in the shuffle of a big company and wanted something that I felt more personally invested in.

Not a good place to work

Working on small projects as a consultant is not fan. You may find yourself out of work for weeks due to budget and scope of work disputes with the client (or very often due to bureaucracy), looking over your shoulder to be escorted out. But then out of nowhere three or four urgent projects come your way. These viscous cycles of no work to too much work is the killer. In addition, the clients see you as their slave. They think if they pay Hatch 150-200$ per your hour they own you. You see only a small fraction of this money, but you feel 100% stress of delivering the 150-200$ per hour worth, very often working long overtime hours for free to stay within the budged.

Great Co-workers

Great job always learning as new challenges occurred daily. Senior leadership were in my opinion not engaged with the project until issues occurred. Pay was great but it was a day rate with no benefits, no job security however. Would I work there again, of course. However, I am now more knowledgeable of how this company works and certainly would negotiate a larger salary to offset lack of benefits.

Decent job if you're into this sort of thing

The job can consist of a lot of travelling which can sometimes be difficult if you are travelling 40min away with no compensation for only an hour's worth of actual work. The teaching component was fun and fulfilling. Class sizes were okay but they wanted to increase them by 1 which, personally became a bit much and fairly hectic.

Pay less

ask more when you start first, otherwise they won't give you a good raise. been working at hatch for 3 years with excellence performance.they will ask you for new role once they have completed salary review to avoid you paying more until next year.

Impractical work and poor management

Hatch Coding Canada offers very low hours to their existing employees, and does not properly assign work due to excessively disjointed management. Organization and reasonable compensation is a huge weakness.

Pros

Fun experience in teaching younger people to program

Cons

Low hours, disorganized management, unreasonable travel to each location for only ~1hr of work

Not there long enough

Was only there for a few months. Nice company, although struggling in my part of the country. Pay and benefits were nice, staff were great. Had a small office culture.

Great work/life balance

Great work/life balance at this company. If you're not an engineer there is no room for advancement. Salary is low compared to other companies. CEO only looks out for engineers.

Pros

Work/life balance

Cons

Salary

Environnement productif et agréable

Flexibilité des horaires Conciliation travail famille Utilisation d'un portable avec VPN permet de travailler de la maison Bureau moderne, bien éclairé

Pros

Flexibilité des horaires, assurance maladie et plan de retraite

I like working with people who motivated.

Hello I from Sint Maarten... Just here on vacation. And i fell in love with the country. I would love to stay here and thats why i apply for a new job.

Pros

Bring own lunch

Cons

1h lunch

It was a good company to work for until the lay offs

Its a engineering company with many competitors, gives alot of perks and benefits before the lay offs started. Overall day to day was a learning experience with different challenges to overcome which make me grow as a person.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement