Hatch

Hatch Employee Reviews for Mechanical Engineer

Mechanical Engineer4 reviews
Canada4 reviews

Typical Large Engineering Consulting Firm

Overall it was a good place to work, salary was fair and benefits were good. I felt I got lost in the shuffle of a big company and wanted something that I felt more personally invested in.

Typical big consulting company with terrible management, low pay, political environment, but great learning for EITs

The job oscillates from super busy to not busy at all, but the projects can be very interesting. There are also great people in the organization, you can work with different offices in different parts of the world.I started as an EIT and learned a lot from senior engineers. It's a good place to start your career.However, in Hatch you either start with a good salary and shares, or you pretty much never getting them. Hatch is advertised as an employee owned company, but in fact 5% of people have 90% of shares. That means that managers push young engineers into never ending harsh assignments (to make 50% of what the site employees make) with the prospect of getting shares one day. This day never comes for many, that leave the company frustrated (not my case I was just never offered). There is a big disconnect between managers/shareholders and the regular employee and you can tell this is hurting the company by the amount of people leaving or wanting to leave.In the Saskatoon office management can be pretty terrible and you can be buried by your supervisor quite easily. Overall, its surprisingly unstructured for such a huge company, management is terrible, pay is below average, colleagues can be awesome, but there is a lot of politics and competition. In my opinion is a company starting your career then moving along.

Pros

Guidance when starting the career

Cons

Management, Computer hardware, salary, benefits, politics, shareholder, highs and lows in workload, competition between employees

Productive and fun workplace

It is a fun and exciting place to work. You will learn a lot and there are opportunities for growth. My co-workers are very friendly, management is very approachable and willing to offer advice and help.

Pros

Knowledgeable people

Cons

Over priced and under skilled

Work enviroment is very political. CEO and upper managment are to busy planning parties and dinners for clients. They have let go over half of there skilled engineering staff over the last few years and replaced them with 1st year engineering students who lack the skill sets to perform designs they are being assigned, Nepatism is a huge problem there but seems to be the norm when hiring any staff. Loss of work and no new business over the last few years mostly due to over pricing and bad enginering. They are currently in the process of rebranding the company to try and stay in business. Most of the clients I work with feel that Hatch is over priced for the products they are engineering and deliver.

Pros

Non come to mind......

Cons

Nepatism, bad engineering, over priced

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

Compare Hatch with