Hatch

Hatch Employee Reviews

Canada189 reviews

projectminingengineeringengineersalaryinterestingtravellearning

too many managers there

many layers in the company, but less people are doing the real work. too many managers there. not much recognitions for the hard working people. Management level needs some improvement.

Fantastic

Very good work culture. Excellent environment and work ethics. Recommend anytime. Knowledgeable coworkers. Safe working environment. Canadian employee owned and managed. They hade very good and exciting projects. There was no pressure from the management on any front.

Pros

Canadian employee owned

Cons

No cafeteria

Insights into Hatch

What people like
  • General feeling of work happiness
  • Ability to learn new things
  • Feeling of personal appreciation

Productive and fast-paced

Coworkers are collaborative, smart and supportive. Domestic and international traveling and relocation were required from time to time. Working with multidisciplinary teams.

Environnent sain et productif

Bonne compagnie d'ingénierie, bon traitement, bonne conditions, et bcp a apprendre.

Avoid for your own good

Unhealthy culture and workplace. The management seems to still live in the past. All wrong doing is guaranteed and mostly by the associates who believe they can do or say whatever. Literally, you will harm your mental health by working there.

Lots of new projects

Management at Niagara Falls office is great. Helped me in getting more experienced in number of diverse projects. Every projects is different from its predecessor

Pros

Diverse projects to work on

Cons

Not enough salary

Good place to gain experience

Hatch is a good place for a young engineer to gain experience and try their hand at a number of different roles. You'll have decent mentorship from some pretty experienced engineers, and they will help you get your P.Eng.

Fun workplace with Gym and various activities

Enjoy working at office. We have all activities and have fun. Drawback we don’t get free beverages and if needed we have to buy coffee and snacks if needed.

Pros

Office Time

Cons

Colleagues attitude

Great place to work and learn

Great place to work, especially if you are looking for breadth of experience and if you value learning either deeply about a subject, or a lot about a number of subjects. The culture, while supportive overall, focuses a lot on extra work outside of regular hours, and the pay isn't the greatest for what you put in, but you have to balance that against the level of experience(s) you get.

Pros

Great learning experiences and work opportunities

Cons

Expectation of long hours, travel expectation with minimal notice, hard to achieve work-life balance

Very good for a career in industrial projects

Very professional engineering consultant for mining and metal industries. You can find your career there if you start at younger age after graduation.

Pros

Very professional and ethical company

Cons

Stressful work environment

Enjoyed my time there

Company had switched to remote work during my time there. Felt there was a good culture and co-workers and bosses were supportive through the training period. Lots of room for advancement and had many resources for personal advancement available to staff

Great Place to work

The company has astrong footing in various government projects throughout Canada as its local having its headquarters in Mississauga.Excellent team members who are highly collaborative. Good structured teams with well defined deliverables.

Pros

Great pension and medical benefits.

A Good company but not DES Civil group

Designers are treated poorly, very hard to survive in a racies, political and favoritism culture in the civil group. They enjoy hire and fire. Many people were let go after hired in a short time. The supervisor only surrounded by his favorite, very rare talk to the designers. Not recommend to those if you have a job as you will risk to lose your job just becauas of politics.

Pros

A large company, many interesting projects, nice coworker

Cons

Long hours for dssigners, poor management, politics, favoritism, gossip

Hit and miss

Your experience will vary based on who your manager is. However your salary will be below market average because the old guard are raking in obscene dividends with their shares. Intermediates do the work, seniors review and pocket the dividend. You take home 85% of what your friends at other companies do.

Pros

Interesting projects

Cons

Frequent lack of professionalism and ethics from management

productive and a fun place to work.

productive and fun place to work. no politics played around. management appreciates hardworking employees. field trip with free lunches and free transportation from and to site.

Pros

sometimes there’s free lunches

Cons

no overtime

Management Sucks

I have worked for this company for 5+years and have given all I could to this company so they can turn around and dismiss me. I have taken on more responsibility as the years passed with no training and no pay increase. Last year our admin staff was at 3 people, one person resigned and one person was let go, which left only me as the admin staff to all employees, so I took on more responsibility including HR, financial, computer equipment, vehicle management and other responsibilities. I never received a pay increase to reflect the increase in responsibility. Now they have chosen to dismiss me due to the fact I declined to answer their survey as that is my right. They decided to ask personal questions including medical treatments and procedures. The real kicker is that they dismissed under the guise of Health & Safety. This company has no regard for the employees, they seem to think or portray they do but I know they don't. The worst downfall to this company is upper management, we are just minions at the bottom of the scale.

Pros

Some co-workers are great

Cons

Increased responsibility, no increase in pay to reflect the added responsibility

Typical big consulting company with terrible management, low pay, political environment, but great learning for EITs

The job oscillates from super busy to not busy at all, but the projects can be very interesting. There are also great people in the organization, you can work with different offices in different parts of the world.I started as an EIT and learned a lot from senior engineers. It's a good place to start your career.However, in Hatch you either start with a good salary and shares, or you pretty much never getting them. Hatch is advertised as an employee owned company, but in fact 5% of people have 90% of shares. That means that managers push young engineers into never ending harsh assignments (to make 50% of what the site employees make) with the prospect of getting shares one day. This day never comes for many, that leave the company frustrated (not my case I was just never offered). There is a big disconnect between managers/shareholders and the regular employee and you can tell this is hurting the company by the amount of people leaving or wanting to leave.In the Saskatoon office management can be pretty terrible and you can be buried by your supervisor quite easily. Overall, its surprisingly unstructured for such a huge company, management is terrible, pay is below average, colleagues can be awesome, but there is a lot of politics and competition. In my opinion is a company starting your career then moving along.

Pros

Guidance when starting the career

Cons

Management, Computer hardware, salary, benefits, politics, shareholder, highs and lows in workload, competition between employees

An experience to learn more about the industry, not a great working environment for non-engineers

As a non-engineer I know I had a different experience within the company and leaders, so I can only speak from my experience. I enjoyed getting to know my immediate colleagues, and enjoyed several projects I worked on. I was able to enjoy work-life balance.As a professional woman who is not an engineer or a technically trained professional in STEM, I faced some challenges with leaders and other management. In one example, when I was meeting with a c-suite leader with my manager (who happens to be a man) and although I was the one speaking, little eye contact was made with me and all questions were directed to my manager. These occurrences came from older men within the company. No formal reports were made.

Pros

Work-life balance, ability to travel a little, learned a lot about the different industries.

Cons

Disorganized management, gender disparity, little career development support.

Great experiences and opportunities here!

This was my first job out of college and I had so many opportunities to learn different jobs. The career evaluations allow you to communicate with your supervisor if you are interested in learning new things. And they actually listen to you! I had local opportunities and remote opportunities ! The office (in Niagara Falls) was full of senior staff more than willing to coach and mentor. The pay scales are structured with specific milestones so you know you will not be stuck at the same wage forever. Their benefits package and pension package were also amazing ! If you are lucky to qualify for a local position...I say apply for it!

Pros

Regular "town hall meetings" held by executives, lunch and learn seminars, dress down Fridays, managers communicate really well, big variety of projects and opportunities

Good work culture

It's a global company and gives good opportunity to collaborate. They promote interaction and colleagues are helpful. Overall it's a place to work in the industry.

Pros

Freedom to work on assignment

Solid company

Had a really good experience working for this company. There was a lot of development opportunity and good supportive leader ship. They really care about their young people and ensuring they have good retention strategies in place. I wouldn’t hesitate to work for them again.

Pros

Development, leadership, employee programs

Cons

Job security with projects starting/stopping, long hours

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement