Hatch

Hatch Employee Reviews

Good work culture

It's a global company and gives good opportunity to collaborate. They promote interaction and colleagues are helpful. Overall it's a place to work in the industry.

Pros

Freedom to work on assignment

Management Sucks

I have worked for this company for 5+years and have given all I could to this company so they can turn around and dismiss me. I have taken on more responsibility as the years passed with no training and no pay increase. Last year our admin staff was at 3 people, one person resigned and one person was let go, which left only me as the admin staff to all employees, so I took on more responsibility including HR, financial, computer equipment, vehicle management and other responsibilities. I never received a pay increase to reflect the increase in responsibility. Now they have chosen to dismiss me due to the fact I declined to answer their survey as that is my right. They decided to ask personal questions including medical treatments and procedures. The real kicker is that they dismissed under the guise of Health & Safety. This company has no regard for the employees, they seem to think or portray they do but I know they don't. The worst downfall to this company is upper management, we are just minions at the bottom of the scale.

Pros

Some co-workers are great

Cons

Increased responsibility, no increase in pay to reflect the added responsibility

Typical big consulting company with terrible management, low pay, political environment, but great learning for EITs

The job oscillates from super busy to not busy at all, but the projects can be very interesting. There are also great people in the organization, you can work with different offices in different parts of the world.I started as an EIT and learned a lot from senior engineers. It's a good place to start your career.However, in Hatch you either start with a good salary and shares, or you pretty much never getting them. Hatch is advertised as an employee owned company, but in fact 5% of people have 90% of shares. That means that managers push young engineers into never ending harsh assignments (to make 50% of what the site employees make) with the prospect of getting shares one day. This day never comes for many, that leave the company frustrated (not my case I was just never offered). There is a big disconnect between managers/shareholders and the regular employee and you can tell this is hurting the company by the amount of people leaving or wanting to leave.In the Saskatoon office management can be pretty terrible and you can be buried by your supervisor quite easily. Overall, its surprisingly unstructured for such a huge company, management is terrible, pay is below average, colleagues can be awesome, but there is a lot of politics and competition. In my opinion is a company starting your career then moving along.

Pros

Guidance when starting the career

Cons

Management, Computer hardware, salary, benefits, politics, shareholder, highs and lows in workload, competition between employees

An experience to learn more about the industry, not a great working environment for non-engineers

As a non-engineer I know I had a different experience within the company and leaders, so I can only speak from my experience. I enjoyed getting to know my immediate colleagues, and enjoyed several projects I worked on. I was able to enjoy work-life balance.As a professional woman who is not an engineer or a technically trained professional in STEM, I faced some challenges with leaders and other management. In one example, when I was meeting with a c-suite leader with my manager (who happens to be a man) and although I was the one speaking, little eye contact was made with me and all questions were directed to my manager. These occurrences came from older men within the company. No formal reports were made.

Pros

Work-life balance, ability to travel a little, learned a lot about the different industries.

Cons

Disorganized management, gender disparity, little career development support.

Great experiences and opportunities here!

This was my first job out of college and I had so many opportunities to learn different jobs. The career evaluations allow you to communicate with your supervisor if you are interested in learning new things. And they actually listen to you! I had local opportunities and remote opportunities ! The office (in Niagara Falls) was full of senior staff more than willing to coach and mentor. The pay scales are structured with specific milestones so you know you will not be stuck at the same wage forever. Their benefits package and pension package were also amazing ! If you are lucky to qualify for a local position...I say apply for it!

Pros

Regular "town hall meetings" held by executives, lunch and learn seminars, dress down Fridays, managers communicate really well, big variety of projects and opportunities

Solid company

Had a really good experience working for this company. There was a lot of development opportunity and good supportive leader ship. They really care about their young people and ensuring they have good retention strategies in place. I wouldn’t hesitate to work for them again.

Pros

Development, leadership, employee programs

Cons

Job security with projects starting/stopping, long hours

Challenging but rewarding

Hatch, in general, is a positive work environment with people always willing to teach and learn from you. There is a sense of community at Hatch with a collaborative and relationship building foundation. The CEO is affable, and the company takes good care of its employees in terms of benefits and flexibility, overall. I’ve worked in the Risk Management department for some time now and have learned a lot. The department is growing and has a lot of people from different parts of the world with different skill sets that you can draw on. The risk team is welcoming, open to sharing ideas and lessons learned from previous experiences.

Depende del proyecto y del equipo

En general esta bien. Tu tranquilidad y salud mental va a depender con el equipo de trabajo con el q te toque trabajar. En algunos proyectos pueden ser bastante complicados y con las personas menos indicadas puede ser una pesadilla.

Pros

Salario

Cons

Mucho caso de enfermedad por buen out

Fluid workflow, friendly and helpful staff, competitive company.

A typical day of work involved plenty of work on MTO spreadsheet data as well as some fieldwork on concurrent job activities in the surrounding area. The staff is friendly and helpful with each other, striving to complete assigned job tasks as a team and offer as great mentors to those with less job experience within the workplace. Hardest part of the job: Prolonged exposure to hot weather, some heavy-lifting. Most Enjoyable part of the job (for me): Long drives to contract jobs.

Easy place to work if you don't want to grow fast!

Hatch is a great engineering company to work for, but the issue is the company is private and upper level management make enough money so they don't bother to add small and new business opportunities to let young employees grow their career! It is said Hatch is an "employee owned" company, but this should be rephrased to "owned by a few employees not all". You get shares after unknown years of work and meeting unknown criteria! (I saw people working for 10 years at Hatch and didn't have any share). Overall, I recommend Hatch for highly senior or management positions not for the young professionals who are eager to grow in their career in a 5 years period!

Pros

friendly work environment

Cons

low pay, might send you to remote sites for long period with a short notice, lack of opportunities for young professionals, lack of clarity if assessment criteria

Magnifique entreprise Canadienne

C'ici ou j'ai une de mes meilleurs expériences professionnelles, excellente compagnie, ventages socio, sante, collaboration entre collègues, posibilité d'aquerir formation divers.

Good company

The management and discipline leads are great. The office layout complies with standards. Softwares and hardwares suit client requirements. Proper trainings for softwares could have been provided during on boarding.

Great Internship

This company was a great place to learn. The company has a lot of resources to learn new skills, and to be mentored by very experienced professionals.

Typical Large Engineering Consulting Firm

Overall it was a good place to work, salary was fair and benefits were good. I felt I got lost in the shuffle of a big company and wanted something that I felt more personally invested in.

The manager was very considerate

When I work with Hatch the project was fast faced. We have lots of changes in the project so we have to work overtime in order to finished it. Also work was to be be done and 3D. The manager was very considerate in signing overtime. We also do the drawings in high quality.

Excellent culture

Collaborative work space with motivated and skilled people working on a variety of intersting and large scale projects. Great sense of accomplishment

Pros

Excellent team culture

Cons

Hard work is the order of the day. Not really a con, just a reality

productive

worked with great people. site work was hard but gained lot of experiences. Hatch is a global company out of Canada ...Was one of there principle engineers

Not a good place to work

Working on small projects as a consultant is not fan. You may find yourself out of work for weeks due to budget and scope of work disputes with the client (or very often due to bureaucracy), looking over your shoulder to be escorted out. But then out of nowhere three or four urgent projects come your way. These viscous cycles of no work to too much work is the killer. In addition, the clients see you as their slave. They think if they pay Hatch 150-200$ per your hour they own you. You see only a small fraction of this money, but you feel 100% stress of delivering the 150-200$ per hour worth, very often working long overtime hours for free to stay within the budged.

Great for civil techs

Hatch offers room to grow and sharpen your skills. Projects are challenging and rewarding. Great people to work with, very friendly. Most projects you will work on will be in remote locations.

Great Co-workers

Great job always learning as new challenges occurred daily. Senior leadership were in my opinion not engaged with the project until issues occurred. Pay was great but it was a day rate with no benefits, no job security however. Would I work there again, of course. However, I am now more knowledgeable of how this company works and certainly would negotiate a larger salary to offset lack of benefits.

Terrible Management and Toxic Work Environment (Avoid At All Cost!!)

If you got a job offer for the Risk Management Department then I would tell you to AVOID IT AT ALL COST!! The Global Director for Risk Management is very rude, disrespectful, and does not treat employees with respect. The Global Director will not provide proper training, will yell at you if you make mistakes, and will not treat you like an equal. This department will offer you no learning experience and they treat Co-op students terrible as well! This department has a horrible reputation and a toxic work environment!! I urge all students and future employees to look else where, there are lots of better companies out there than Hatch.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatch. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

3.2Job security/advancement