Hatch

Hatch Employee Reviews

Canada158 reviews
Good company
The management and discipline leads are great. The office layout complies with standards. Softwares and hardwares suit client requirements. Proper trainings for softwares could have been provided during on boarding.
Great Internship
This company was a great place to learn. The company has a lot of resources to learn new skills, and to be mentored by very experienced professionals.
Typical Large Engineering Consulting Firm
Overall it was a good place to work, salary was fair and benefits were good. I felt I got lost in the shuffle of a big company and wanted something that I felt more personally invested in.
The manager was very considerate
When I work with Hatch the project was fast faced. We have lots of changes in the project so we have to work overtime in order to finished it.
Also work was to be be done and 3D. The manager was very considerate

in signing overtime. We also do the drawings in high quality.
Excellent culture
Collaborative work space with motivated and skilled people working on a variety of intersting and large scale projects. Great sense of accomplishment
Pros
Excellent team culture
Cons
Hard work is the order of the day. Not really a con, just a reality
productive
worked with great people. site work was hard but gained lot of experiences. Hatch is a global company out of Canada ...Was one of there principle engineers
Not a good place to work
Working on small projects as a consultant is not fan. You may find yourself out of work for weeks due to budget and scope of work disputes with the client (or very often due to bureaucracy), looking over your shoulder to be escorted out. But then out of nowhere three or four urgent projects come your way. These viscous cycles of no work to too much work is the killer.
In addition, the clients see you as their slave. They think if they pay Hatch 150-200$ per your hour they own you. You see only a small fraction of this money, but you feel 100% stress of delivering the 150-200$ per hour worth, very often working long overtime hours for free to stay within the budged.
Great for civil techs
Hatch offers room to grow and sharpen your skills. Projects are challenging and rewarding. Great people to work with, very friendly. Most projects you will work on will be in remote locations.
Great Co-workers
Great job always learning as new challenges occurred daily. Senior leadership were in my opinion not engaged with the project until issues occurred. Pay was great but it was a day rate with no benefits, no job security however. Would I work there again, of course. However, I am now more knowledgeable of how this company works and certainly would negotiate a larger salary to offset lack of benefits.
Terrible Management and Toxic Work Environment (Avoid At All Cost!!)
If you got a job offer for the Risk Management Department then I would tell you to AVOID IT AT ALL COST!!

The Global Director for Risk Management is very rude, disrespectful, and does not treat employees with respect. The Global Director will not provide proper training, will yell at you if you make mistakes, and will not treat you like an equal.

This department will offer you no learning experience and they treat Co-op students terrible as well! This department has a horrible reputation and a toxic work environment!!

I urge all students and future employees to look else where, there are lots of better companies out there than Hatch.
Environnement de travail agréable
Les journées de travail sont agréables.
L'équipes est compétentes et bien encadrée.
Great job, terrible management
I loved the actual work of coaching java to kids. It was also great to learn java as I was teaching it. If you like working with kids this is a great job and there are great lessons for you to go though to get yourself up to speed if you're not skilled with java.

However the hours were very hard to work around. I was sent to schools all over the GTA during their lunch break and their after school hours. I managed to balance this while working other part time jobs.

One problem was that management was horrendous. I' was scheduled to pick up laptops at their main centre to take over to the school I was to coach at. When I arrived, they didn't have any laptops for me. They told me to return the following week, which I did. When I arrived they again didn't have any laptops available and also my classes were cancelled and I wasn't even notified. I asked them to pay for my travel time which they did. Very disorganized and a poor lack of communication.

Another huge problem was for their March Break camps they asked if I was available. After making arrangements with my other part time work I told them I'd do it. I went in for a March Break orientation and afterwards they said to keep an eye on my online schedule. I didn't receive any hours at all and when I inquired they didn't give me straight answers and scheduled 2 half shifts, instead of the 2 full time weeks I was supposed to work. I immediately quit after this.

Overall, the actual work is great but the management was so bad. They took on more work than they could handle and the communication was terrible.
 - more...
Very knowledgeable tem
The team in Hatch is extremely competent and very knowledgeable. The technical expertise is outstanding and this is recognized by clients.
However, the company lack of people management, with little interest in career development of employees.
Difficult Job
It was very difficult job conditions with working in the north in extreme conditions of cold temperatures, blowing snow and twenty-four (24) hour darkness.
Decent job if you're into this sort of thing
The job can consist of a lot of travelling which can sometimes be difficult if you are travelling 40min away with no compensation for only an hour's worth of actual work. The teaching component was fun and fulfilling. Class sizes were okay but they wanted to increase them by 1 which, personally became a bit much and fairly hectic.
Poor Management With Toxic Work Environment!
Never work for the Risk Management Department!
Manager is very arrogant and disrespectful. Does not treat employees with respect. Very toxic work environment.
Good company to work for
Good company to work for, good opportunity to travel and work in other offices, they try to use you in other office instead of laying you off when they have few projects to work.
No shifts available
Only got 1 day of work afterward there were no more shifts were available for anyone to take. There was no point in hiring me if there wasn't a need for the position.
Job atmosphere varied from bad to excellent, depending on PM
My opinion is based on the past work experience. When I was leaving the projects and the work were in decline. It affected badly the work quality. Many excellent people and experienced staff had to go for good. It is hard to say what is left there today. It is almost impossible to rebuild the engineering teams to the original state due to the lack of experts, at least in my field. I worry that the company have to re-learn again to function efficiently and that takes few projects and a time.
Very Opening
Taught me various skills sets including patience, resolving issues and overall mentorship skills. It was a great learning experience for both the students and myself as it provided a platform to voice their issues regarding computer programing.
Pros
flexible timings
Challenging work
Hatch has a vast breath of projects it gets involved in. As a result, you can you be part of some pretty interesting and challenging projects. This part is a huge pro.
Depending on the office that you work in, certain groups will be very tight knit and help out one another which can be very helpful and it gives you a nice feeling to be working in those environments. Just a heads up though, not all groups are like that and it can be pretty hard to tell prior to joining the group.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hatch. Our community is ready to answer.