Harvey's Employee Reviews

Management is by far the biggest concern
Cashier/Grill Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON14 March 2018
If you want a job that can provide you with a flexible schedule, this is one that could work for you. At the same time, there are a lot of other factors to take into account. I had worked there for about 4 years and had no opportunity for advancement financially. Minimum wage is what they praised regardless of how hard you worked. Management is always looking to tear you a part and will take advantage of you. They will threaten to fire you regardless of if they legally can or not. The only people you will appreciate is your co-workers as most of them will treat you like family.
Pros
Flexible schedule
productive, unorganized
head of Takeout (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON1 April 2018
working at Harvey's and Swiss Chalet was an interesting experience, I got to meet new people and became friends with all the employees very easily. The workplace taught me to manage my time better and to improve my skills in organization and multitasking. the only negative note I have is that the management was not the best and hopefully they are able to polish their way with their employees.
Pros
good salary, nice co-workers
Cons
long hours, bad management
Overall it is a decent place to work with good people
Fryer/Garnisher/Grill Cook (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 October 2018
Harveys was a fine place to work at , if you get good hours the pay is decent most of the managers are cool people unless you get on their bad sides naturally
Pros
Decent pay, nice management
Cons
sometimes long hours or not enough
Decent experience as part time job for a student
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON24 July 2018
A typical day at work for a young cashier like myself consisted of meeting tons of friendly customers. The management was okay, the workplace culture was more ''get it done fast and do it right' so there really isn't any room for mistakes.
Pros
Engaging with customers
Cons
Long hours (I would finish at around 10:15pm most nights which isn't ideal for students)
working at harveys
Drive Thru Cashier (Former Employee) –  Woodbridge, ON11 November 2018
Drive Thru- take orders, pay out window , prepare the food and drinks handout the window

Front- Take orders, put on your gloves and prepare food for customer.

Management- Super nice and understanding, strict at times, you will build good relationships with them.
Pros
really good food, amazing workers
Cons
Not a good place to be employed
Cashier and Customer Service, Garnisher (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB, Gateway Blvd7 October 2018
My co-workers were great, nice and easy people to work with. When I first started it was really enjoyable and I had a good time, which you don't expect from a job. But as soon as my 3rd or fourth week came I couldn't stand it, my manager became very rude to me, although compared to the other kids who worked there I was a saint going to all my shifts and always putting on a smile. He would talk about me to my co-workers and would never tell me straight if I made a mistake. when I would ask for 1 day off in like a month he would get mad although letting others just call in the day of. I had to leave the city for emergency and when I came back he would not give me any shifts or answer my texts letting him know I was back, so I had to personally go and pick up my things to leave. Now I still hear from my past co-workers there that they hate it and they all plan on quitting. Do you self a favor and do not apply to Harveys Gateway Blvd. edmonton
Pros
co-workers
Cons
manager, hours, unprofessional
Fast paced work, great staff, not so great owner
Team Member (Current Employee) –  724 Queenston Rd, Hamilton, ON11 October 2018
A typical shift for me as a front of house worker included working as either Front Cashier, Front Garnisher, Drive thru Order taker/Cashier or Drive thru Garnisher. Hardest part of the job was rushes, best part was the staff members and seeing satisfied customers/kind regulars. The owner of queenston road was horrible to employees, but the managment was awesome. we had no air conditioning all summer and shut down store without notice.
Pros
lots of shifts
Cons
40 degree or over summer work conditions
My job was great.
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON6 October 2018
The most enjoyable part of my job was the guest they always made me smile, they made my experience working there even better. I gained relationships with some.
Pros
Free Lunches
Cons
flexible time is the only positive
Cook (Current Employee) –  Brossard, QC30 June 2018
Harvey' needs to work on the type of owners they select to run the business, greedy owners doesnt care for their employees, for them as long as they get money they dont care for anything else.
those type of owner should never be allowed to own a herveys, they spoil the reputation of harvery in the long run, by these following traits, disrecting and foul mouthing employees in front of customers, doesnt care for the quality of food they give to customers especially kids ( eg. the owner doesnt want to fix a faulty freezer and inspite of warnings by employees about the frozen food spoiled, goes ahead and gives to customers )
Pros
flexible time
Cons
bad owner
Small work space, high pressure work environment
Crew Member (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 June 2018
Harveys was a easy job compared to mcdonalds where I worked prior. it is a small building with little back space for workers to move too much. a typical day there was getting to work and starting the opening process, prepping hand cut produce, filling condiments and stocking anything that the night shift workers did not. management there was mostly kind and professional with the exception two managers who were kind of unprofessional and made work kind of hard on some of the staff. The workplace culture was upbeat and jokey but also very serious about getting work done. everyone was very close with each other and often hung out outside of work. honestly the work there was easy for me, McDonalds was far more fast paced and demanded more from me. the hardest thing was dealing with management when one of the two not so good ones work who slacked and spoke poorly to staff but everyone else working was super nice so it was easier to deal with. the people and i guess when there is a rush of orders. the people there just liked to joke around and the rush of orders was like torturous fun, you suffered by having to do everything at max speed and avoid messing up but once you got use to the menus there it was easy.
Pros
discount card and good memories
Cons
had to leave
Poor management
Cashier and Customer Service (Part-time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 November 2018
Young managers do not qualification for human resource management, do not know how to manage and schedule working time for staff correctly. Do not have the cooperation among managers together
Productive and fun place to work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON14 September 2018
I work as cashier and promoted to become supervisor. I have learn how to manage my all work as quickly as possible and handle all kinds of customer complain. I have done the payroll and manage the all office works. The hardest part of the job when I had to deal with homeless people daily basis regarding using the washroom and I had to clean for it. The most part was to working as a team.
Incredibly poor management, low worker morale and outrageous pricing for low-quality food
Front of House Staff (Former Employee) –  London, ON26 June 2018
-Incredibly poor management
-Low worker morale
-Outrageous pricing for low-quality food
-Frequent violations of employee contract by management team
Pros
50% off staff meal on days of shifts and 20% off at other CARA restaurants
Cons
Too many to type
Entry level job
Associate (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON2 November 2017
Exactly what you would expect from an entry level job. No room to move up, little to no raises. Very easy job but some people are hard to work with and job can be unnecessarily stressful at times because of that
Pros
Entry level job for highschooler
Cons
Minimum wage
Harvey's
Front Line Attendant (Former Employee) –  Stouffville, ON31 October 2018
My time at Harvey's taught me about customer service, how to work in a fast past environment with strong attention to detail.Also it taught me how to interact with co workers and customers in a positive manner. I decided to leave due to may availability.
fun
Cashier, Garnishee (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON6 October 2018
My experience at Harveys was mostly positive. The staff treats you like family, and make you feel comfortable. Harveys does get really busy at the time and they are short staffed at times making it hectic.
Pros
staff
Cons
busy and short staff
Horrible place
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Sault-Sainte-Marie, ON26 March 2018
Bad location to work at. Owner sits in lobby all day and talks bad about employees and is very biased. The managers cannot be bothered to train their own staff and tasks are consistently left not done. Managers also gossiped about other employees infront of and even to other employees. Labour laws were never followed. Had customers take pity on me and fellow employees for the owners owm behaviour. A bad place overall with zero management and nothing gets done. Owner doesn't treat employees with respect more like robots, honestly.
Pros
Free pop
Cons
No management biased dehumanized
Lie to you face With their hands in your pocket
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Fredericton, NB3 July 2018
The management is extremely sexiest, and racist towards anyone other then themself, as quoted saying "if I cannot pronounce their name, I don't want them here."
Pros
meaningless pay
Multitask and work hard
Server (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON30 September 2018
You must be able to multi task and be able to do various types of tasks. Both customer oriented and cleanliness oriented. Breaks are rewarding as you can choose what you would like to eat with a significant discount.
Great Environment
Cashier, Garnisher, Cook, Drive Thru/Expo (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON17 July 2018
Loved working there, amazing coworkers, owner and manager were great to work with. They are understanding of school schedules, appointments, or working around another job's schedule. Easy to get along with manager and owner. Learned how to juggle several tasks.
Pros
Discounts while working and while off shift.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Harvey's. Our community is ready to answer.