Harold Sutherland Construction Ltd.

Harold Sutherland Construction Ltd. Employee Reviews

Canada16 reviews
Good company to work for in the Grey/Bruce area. They always have lots of work and good people to work with. They operate a little old school but it works in the area they operate in.
I worked here on one of my first post-secondary co-ops several years ago. Horrible experience. Non-stop bullying and harassment and taunting by co-workers and supervisors. Since it was a co-op I just bit my tongue and kept my mouth shut because I needed the experience, the credit and the reference. Now that I am older and have established myself in my career I feel comfortable in revealing what it was truly like here. I've never met so many miserable and ignorant people as I have working here. The start and end date I put in this review are not the true ones in order to keep my anonymity. I'm sure they will do whatever it takes to get this review deleted so my hope is that at least one person who may be considering working there reads it and reconsiders applying.
Pros
Lots of hours
Cons
Low pay, horrible treatment from co-workers and supervisors, little to no training
didn't pay enough but allowed for continual growth and advancement enjoyed the people and made good conections to the construction field and networked with lots of people
Pros
people
Cons
pay
Well established company, with good equipment and commitment to quality. New ownership is committed to improving benefit package ie dental, medical and retirement services.
Pros
Good equipment, very competitive which equates to lots of work. Wages are very good
Cons
Hours worked per day can be very high
The people are amazing that you get to work with. They all have your back and are there when you need them. Supervisors are very nice but have an unapproachable look. Everyone there is there to help you. I love this job more than anything
felt like i was thrown to the wolfs by most not all supervisors , felt like a click,and as new hire your a outsider . long days but that is the business. Machines are old not good seats , but fairly well maintained.
They'll pay you a minimum and make you do the work of many. Your work isn't valued. Don't expect to be able to take your breaks, if you try to take a break, they threaten to send you home if you "don't have anything to do". Team work isn't encouraged there, you're not allowed to speak with your co-workers, even if it has to do with the job you're doing. You'll be constantly harassed by by the HR manager. Not a great place to work!
Owner believes that your personal life can be judged and you will be penalized at work for it if it offends them. Owners will hide in bushes on work sites to see if you take too long a lunch break. Sooo much more wrong with this place.
very long hours standing on the side of the highway for very little money. needed a job asap which was the only reason i applied. but i learned quite a bit so it wasnt a total bust.
Co-workers were pretty good. Office staff and management couldn't care less for employee complaints or work safety. If conditions are not safe... shut up and just do it anyway or you won't be called back to work. They will just say sorry work is slow and bring in someone else who will put up and shut up.
Pros
Some of the other drivers were great
Cons
Management staff was horrible. Unaproachable
typical day is a lot of fun and a face pace work hardest part is that it is none stop hard work all day long but still a fun work environment and on break time there is always coffee to be passed around from the supervisors
good opportunity for advancement excellent employees to work with as well as a good safe work environment . Local work mostly not travelling more than an hour
I enjoyed most of the people I worked with but some people in this company like to play the favouritism game. I believe this company would be a great place to work for is some things were sorted out properly. better hope for the future!
Pros
Long hours, fast working, nice people.
Cons
salary rate.
6;30 am start each day, up until 9pm some days.
Hardest part was holding my bladder between breaks.
Pros
Off early on fridays
Cons
Rain days, hard to budget.
had fun for the most part

didnt care for the forman or the higher up mangment but did have a good site super and some good co works too

wasnt the best place to but it was a job
Pros
good weather
Cons
rain
Great way to save money at this job, for one you won't have time to shop. :-p
Pros
great people