Harbourfront Centre Employee Reviews

Fun place to work
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 January 2019
I had a lot of fun working at harbourfront centre camps. I made a ton of friends and it taught me patience because I was working with children all day. It was a hard job because you have to have a happy face on all day and have lots of energy.
Pros
great atmosphere
Cons
exhausting
Great place to volunteer!!
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 December 2018
Well organized for a volunteer organization. It makes a big difference for people who are giving their time. They provide great support and structure to us. Highly recommended
Adequate place to work during the Summer
Parking Assistant (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 October 2018
If you're a student looking to save up for the Summer. This is the job for you because during the busy weeks of Summer you will be given a sufficient amount of hours.
Pros
less-medium effort
Cons
No fixed schedule for the day
Enjoyable friendly work place
Assistant Administrative Producer (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 September 2018
This was a great place to work. Strong management support with daily mentoring. Learned a lot about festival planning and execution. Your personal life can take a backseat during the festivals.
fun workplace, able to meet lots of new people with connections
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 September 2018
Harbourfront Centre provides staff with 2 fifteen minute breaks and a lunch break every day. Some directors are more organized than others at providing those breaks. A typical day includes camp songs, games, morning and afternoon procedures. People at Harbourfront Centre are very energetic and enthusiastic on a daily basis. The hardest part of the job is not letting the little things get on your nerves and affect your overall mood. The most enjoyable part is making connections with campers and their parents and providing them with a safe, fun environment.
Pros
close to lots of places to purchase food
Cons
long days working with kids is very tiring
Flexible, friendly, with fluxating workload
Grounds Crew Member (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 May 2018
Included picking up trash, emptying trash bins, and setting up tents for events. Managers are friendly. Workers are friends. Sometimes busy beyond capacity. Sometimes not enough work to preoccupy workers.
Pros
Flexible in determining a weekly schedule
Cons
Workload varies from busy to very light
Job is fantastic
Manager's assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 April 2018
Can interact with a variety of customers daily. But it only occurs in the summer for one week.I can take orders and money fast while also having conversations with the customer.
Pros
excellent job
Cons
short week
Learn to Skate Program - We get paid to teach & have fun
INSTRUCTOR - LEARN TO SKATE (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 April 2018
Great place to work, teach, be outdoors and stay moving!
Very supportive, collaborative, coach-the-coach atmosphere.
Teaching adults and kids the basics of skating
Keep in mind its outdoor skating: rain, snow, wind - dress in many layers.
Pros
outdoors, physical, teaching ages 4-99
Cons
outdoors
It a great place to work at!
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 April 2018
HFC is a great place to work at! They strive to educate and create a diverse atmosphere. The staff is like a giant family and before you start they really make sure that you are equipped with all the training that you need. The only kind of down side is that it is kind of draining because of the long hours.
Pros
Impacting and educating children, Free food every once in a while, great atmosphere
Cons
Long hours, Physically draining
Amazing environment, tight community!
GROUNDS CREW (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 March 2018
A fun experience for a summer job. Roles are outdoors in beautiful summer weather with awe inspiring views of the lake. Weekend festivals make it motivating to work up during the weekdays and work on the weekends.
Learned a great deal about working in the Arts and for non-profits/charities
Assistant Artistic Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 February 2018
Wonderfully diverse and artistically engaging atmosphere to work in, with very passionate and smart individuals. Was encouraged to help with all stages of planning and executing events and festivals throughout the year for the public's enjoyment.
Pros
Artistic Atmospher
Cons
No career advancement
Fun, nice staff, bad pay, very dramatic people
Camp Counsellor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 February 2018
Professional with job business, camp counsellors very dramatic (about external problems). Treat parents and campers well. Great camps. Under-paid. Directors are mostly lazy. Supervisors the counsellors never see. Ineffective communication system with healthcare (if the directors are on lunch and no directors are nearby, counsellors are left to deal with bleeding kid until they're back).
Pros
Close to TTC, variety of jobs
Cons
Staff suck
It's a Volunteer Job.
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 September 2017
A typical day at work depends on what you sign up for. So far I've been an Info Host, a Floater, and an Activity Assistant. As an Info Host I was handing out brochures in which you'd find the schedule for the month/week. As a Floater, I was placed wherever I was needed or doing breaks. As an Activity Assistant, I was helping the organizer of the Activity with whatever needed to be done.

I believe that the biggest incentive as a volunteer with Harbourfront should be the experience and the chance to meet people. However, I also believe that their discount card reward is also a major incentive to physically be there and not to sign in &/or skip the shift.
Pros
Free snacks, discount volunteer card (via 60+hours/year)
A good place to work for the summer
Sailing and Powerboating Staff (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 July 2017
Usually busy, helping customers with boat rentals and teaching boating lessons. For the most part management was good, but they fell short in some regards, like awareness of what was needed to keep boats running smoothly. Coworkers were friendly, though sometimes a little too relaxed. The job was never particularly hard, but sometimes we'd get quite busy with renters. Best part of the job was the coworkers themselves and working with the boats.
Overall
Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON20 May 2016
Overall, if you're willing to do the dirty work, the this is it. Working the summer, wall and half the winter, there were diverse jobs you'd do, the basics, maintaining the grounds, are you work in.

I worked grounds, marine, garbage and rink for the three seasons.
An easy but dirty summer job
Garbage Truck Drive / Ground Crew (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON5 November 2014
A typical day at work:
Being the garbage truck driver, the day was pretty easy. Just drive the route and along the way you and a partner use the trucks arm to dump bins into the truck, occasionally going to the dump when the truck is full and going to the local gas station for diesel when you're low. By the time you finish your route though, it's usually time to start again. At the end of the night you park and return the keys.
Goes by quickly since you have someone with you, and the machine does all the dirty work. Ocassionally you may have something spray out at you if you forget to use the shield.

As ground crew, the day was a little tougher. We would start by doing a sweep of the area, meaning we change every garbage bin and use brooms to sweep up anything on the ground. On a busy day, changing bins is the whole day. Dirty and smelly, but goes by quickly. When the garbage bins are all good, we just walk around with a broom and scoop bag (sometimes in twos) and pick up anything around. Not too bad if the weather is nice. If there is not much garbage we are usually asked to help with misc. tasks general maintenance to the site (replacing boards on deck, setting up tents, moving benches)

Management:
Night crew management is more layed back than days, but they area all nice people. As long as bins around the site are not full, and the grounds were clean we were in the clear.

Co-workers:
These guys felt like family. There was usually 4-6 of us on one shift and being with these guys made the dirty job a lot more bearable.

Hardest part:
Just the non stop grind
  more... of changing garbage bin after garbage bin all day on those busy days, especially holidays.

Most enjoyable:
-Walking around with no bins to change, and not much to scoop. -Ocassionally offered free food/free ice cream.
-Always outside in the summer.
-The golf cart
-Driving the garbage truck
Pros
Free entrance to over 400 attractions, Laid Back, Driving
Cons
Dirty job, Night shift
First job in Canada - good chance to learn of business in Canada.
Head Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON23 July 2014
Busy parking lot. Learnt customer relations, Very good relationship with management. Worked well with co-workers as a team.
Pros
Good working relarionship
Cons
Not challenging enough
At Harbour Front
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, On3 October 2013
It was a great day at harbourfront. Celebrating the Vietnamese Tradition which is the Vietnamese Lantern Festival. It was a great day experience for me to help my team with the games and giving out stamps for prizes. What I learned is that, operating a game is pretty hard.
Pros
Free Lunch, Long Hours, Getting to know new people, Celebrating my culture
Volunteering is great
Volunteer (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 June 2013
Volunteering at Harbourfront is a lot of fun but very demanding. You have to be able to volunteer so many hours in the year or else you aren't able to return the following year. Everything is basically online expect for meetings and your shifts.
Pros
free TTC tokens
Cons
online sign up
Quick-paced and fun environment
Office Support Assistant (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON3 January 2013
Working at Harbourfront really gave me so much experience in leadership and people handling. I was able to meet people of many different cultures and beliefs and really connect with them so that learned to the fullest of my ability. I was able to make the most of my time there by providing my best assets to the table and taking away what was most important to me - the experience.
Pros
friendly co-workers
Cons
inflexible hours