Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Could be better
RMT (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 May 2018
Easy to get a job here, you can usually start right away. I was able to make my own schedule but they required at least one weekend day shift. Working evenings and weekends are where the money is. Day shifts are slow and sporadic. They were always in need of therapists as we had lots of empty rooms. Those who worked were generally fully booked (especially female therapists). Great team atmosphere for the most part. Pay is on the lower end of the scale which is the main reason I no longer work there.
Pros
Many locations, easy to get a job, great coworkers, everything provided
Cons
Pay, tips are terrible, pay attention to commissions payouts, lots of slow periods, clientele can be hit or miss, lots of complaints
Massage therapists stay away
RMT (Former Employee) –  Toronto west28 February 2018
Worked in the Hand and Stone West end toronto. Owner promised us benefits in the contract that we signed in 3 months. Whenever we asked for benefits we got the same response," we are looking into it"
Years passed and no benefits were ever offered. Several staff left due to this, but the owner just got new staff to replace. There is no value to your service. The pay is rotten, min wage as per RMT standards. Clients get used to certain ttherapists, the owners try their best to mix it up. My advice to RMT's stay away! they will work you to the bone, pay you Min wage. Zero appreciation to RMT's.
Pros
you will have basic food on the table
Cons
Too many to list I will need a full page!
My honest opinion
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON2 September 2017
Great co workers to work with
Management could be improved
Customers were not always the nicest
Enjoyed down time during slow hours
Learned how to maintain my patience
Wonderful place to work!
Massage Therapist (Current Employee) –  Peterborough, ON11 March 2017
I really enjoy working at hand and stone in Peterborough! I have amazing co-workers and great work life balance! It really is a great team environment, it feels like a big family! I have worked at a few different places in town and hand and stone by far is the best place I've been employed! The owners at this location are very fair and pleasent to work with/for and the training offered is a huge perk for me!
Pros
Great team, work life balance, nice clients, fantastic owners.
Cons
None so far!!
Stay away!
Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 March 2017
The general consensus pertaining to Hand and Stone is the same.... stay away.

Employees are worked to the bone and are expected to take on the franchise owners responsibilities. Minimal training. Awful pay. I would NOT recommend this company AT ALL!
Pros
Great clients
Cons
Everything else. Management and pay.
Satisfying job
Esthecian Spa Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 January 2017
Good working environment with colleagues easy and fun to work with. Management are easy to talk to and will give you all the support especially in enhancing your skills and knowledge thru training at Dermalogica. No pressure at all.
Pros
Good management
Cons
not enough hours
Horrible Managment
rmt (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON11 January 2016
The managers treat their employees like slaves. Its a lot of work for minimum wage. They push you hard and refuse to get their hands dirty. The owners are manipulative and will lie to get their way. Its almost embarrassing.

The spa is clean but the owners are very dirty with their personal hygiene.

Great staff, bad morale.
Pros
Nice staff
Cons
No breaks
Good work environment
REGISTERED MASSAGE THERAPIST (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 December 2015
I have enjoyed my time here so far. We have an excellent staff/
team, surprisingly easy going and fairly relaxing work environment.
Hand and Stone Massage and Facial Spa in Oakville was a great place to work. It has loyal clients, a nice staff and is very well organized.
Esthetician (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON3 September 2015
A typical day working at Hand and Stone would include product sales, customer service, inventory on some days, providing facials and waxing services, and of course being a team player and helping out with other jobs around the spa.

While working there I learned about Dermalogica and RVB skin product lines, as well as there facial protocols, I learned how to do product inventory and I also learned the spa program that we used called "Millennium". My co-workers were amazing. They were very nice people, cooperative, hard working, helpful and great team players. We were always there for one another.

As for the most enjoyable part of my job was being able to improved on clients natural beauty and making them smile at the end of each service.
Relaxing but challenging
Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa, Spa Associate (Former Employee) –  Richmond Hill, ON4 September 2014
Working at a Spa is a pleasant environment where you work to create a peaceful and welcoming environment for all guests. This company allows for making one on one connections with their clients as well as a relaxed atmosphere.