Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa

Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

My role involved a constant rotation of Reception, Janitorial and Laundry duties, etc. Surprisingly this role can get quite physically tiring on busier days, which makes it very uncomfortable to return to the front desk out of breath and sweating. Management micro-manages too an excessive level, and in my opinion, ends up backfiring when it comes to productivity. I think there needs to be better strategic planning and discussion from management with their staff. The Sales Associate position is not worth minimum wage pay at this location. Many have come and gone quite quickly since they’ve opened.
Pros
Great co-workers, flexible hours
Cons
Low pay, micro-managing
14 February 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and are very happy to hear that you loved the staff culture and the flexible work hours that we offer. The Spa Associate position is a multi-faceted role and due to the nature of the business (health care) and the risks involved due to COVID-19 there is an extra amount of detail required both by management and staff during this time in order to keep staff and clients safe and comfortable. While we do acknowledge it can be challenging at times, ensuring staff and client safety is our company’s priority.We wish you the best in your work career and always appreciate what we can learn from our reviews and thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to some of your concerns.
Apparently all the owners know each other. Beware although the initial start is fun and easy if anything goes wrong you're out. If your personality doesn't fit your out. If you don't agree with what they want... you guessed it.. you're out. Management is too friendly with employees and they talk amongst each other behind your back. Some of their standards are archaic with table set up and material. Expectation is that you follow what management says even if it goes against CMTO standards and norms within industry. The place I worked at made their own rules and lied about being a "head office thing" and "that's what everyone else is doing" type of thing. Marketing you as a new hire was not happening! You might as well stay home
Pros
bonuses on up sales
Cons
when it is slow your expected to be on call, below standard hourly pay and management
Toxic work environment, there’s always gossip and management doesn’t know how to de-escalate conflict. Their own employees literally destroy the reputation of the company.
Pros
We’d get free lunch sometimes
Cons
Problematic SA’s, RMT loves to indulge in gossip, Constantly called in on off days, Short staffed, Terrible Management, You’re expected to work like a robot as an SA
9 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We believe it is important to have transparency with respect to feedback and our employees, sharing both positive and negative feedback provides learning opportunities for everyone.It is unfortunate that Hand & Stone was not a fit for you, we wish you the best in your work career and will absolutely take your comments under advisement and appreciate having the opportunity to respond to your feedback.
Was essentially told that I was hired, after the manager asked me to attend a training session. The training was from 10 am until 7:30 pm, and was basically a bunch of information, with me not actually doing any work. Upon leaving, I was told I would receive the upcoming schedule. After leaving however the manger emailed me and told me that they had moved forward with another candidate. Makes absolutely no sense that they would not decide this during the hiring process and instead I was made to fill out multiple forms that made it seem as though I was hired, only for them to cut me after wasting my time, that I was not compensated for. Be weary of this place!
Cons
Mangement does not care
Overall great company to work for if you're starting out as a new grad. I am an experience RMT going on 10 years and I felt my work was never paid adequately. There is room for advancement but that is all based on your "numbers". Example the owner of would hand out status reports of how many clients we had, how much they tipped and so on and client complaints. Which can be a bit unsettling due to the fact that she would post them for everyone to see. clients
Pros
Great people, and flexible hours
Cons
Poor pay and no time in between clients. You only get 10 min between for self care!
24 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear that you feel that overall Hand & Stone is a great company to work for. We believe it is important to have transparency with respect to client feedback and our employees, sharing both positive and negative feedback provides learning opportunities for all employees. There are many important pieces to why and how our model works so well, including recognizing the administrative and marketing costs involved in order to provide a regular client base and in house support for our therapists so that they can enjoy a consistent income and healthy work-life balance. Communication is key so that our therapists understand our model and are confident that they are paid fairly. Our schedule does reflect 10 minutes time between clients, however, there are therapists that would like more time and can request a change in schedule with their Manager. It is unfortunate that Hand & Stone was not a fit for you, we wish you the best in your massage therapy practice in the future and appreciate having the opportunity to respond to your feedback.
This employer elected to publish survey results gathered via Indeed Insider. The survey results included this review. The employer has indicated that the reviewer was a current employee at the time this review was written.
I enjoy coming to work and feel appreciated, acknowledged and rewarded. Everyone communicates in an honest and positive way. High standards according to COVID-19 regulations. I feel safe and in a healthy environment.
I find that employment at Hand & Stone doesn’t feel like “work”. I love being able to work with a great team and have formed close friendships along the way. The owner is very accommodating and it is a pleasure to work for her. It’s a great opportunity and overall great environment
I’ve worked at Hand and Stone for just over 2 and a half years and have enjoyed my time working here. I got the opportunity to start right out of school and I would recommend working at Hand and Stone! They provide: -flexible schedule and great work/life balance -bookings are consistent and usually always full which means steady income -Spa Associates do bookings and laundry for so Message Therapists are not required to -medical benefits -Hand and Stone has taken on the cost of PPE for us during the COVID pandemic -supportive management throughout COVID, always advocating for us and respecting our professional judgement -clients love the membership program so their benefits go further, or if they don’t have benefits they can save money and come in more often - Opportunity for raises - Paid training (cupping, hot stone)
In the past 25 years working in all kinds of fields, I had never more flexible, understanding owner/manager than Helen. I feel honoured to work here because the location and the clientele.
learned to work as part of a team, and work towards a common goal of delivering the best quality of service. management is very accommodating and the workplace culture is just very healthy.
I’ve worked for this company for around 8 years now. So far it’s been good job, the new owners are amazing people and very fair. I count myself as lucky
A clean and organized enviroment.Very knowledgable people to work for and with.Focused and dedicated to deliver and make experience of client and staff happy.Services should have more time between.Its very fast the time between clients.It feels like work assebly.Though its very proffesional and with high standards place to be employed.
Well organized spacious spa Learned to be precise and organized Workplace culture is stable and very attentive Well develop and attentive management
Great place to work! Love my coworkers! Enjoy meeting new people everyday, getting to know the regular members. Would like to improve our members experience.
Hand and Stone has been a great company to work for. They give all the tools you need to succeed! I love the fact that the two locations I work at have hydrolic tables so it makes it very easy to keep my posture in check while working. I don't think I'll ever leave!
Honestly working here part-time has been pretty great. Once you get the hang of Millenium, then it’s easier to deal with clients and the reports, everyone who works there is extremely nice and supportive. The work culture is good- everyone gets along with one another.
Hand and Stone Leaside is a nice clean environment to work. The staff are helpful and friendly. Flexible and easy to take a day off if needed. A bit disadvantage if your a Male like few location
Great place to work! The owners are amazing and so supportive. They encourage and enable us to continue our education and are very attentive to any suggestions or feedback we might have. They keep ahead of the curve with industry standards, and are right beside us doing the daily work. The owners are the biggest part of why I enjoy working there so much.
A typical day is checking your clients on the computer and which rooms you will be in. Checking the room for supplies to make sure it has everything. Signing the client's insurance receipts, ideally at the beginning of the shift. Greeting your client, taking them into the room, consulting them on today's visit and explaining what your treatment plan will be, and them agreeing to it or making adjustments. Fill out the client's treatment history on the computer either after the service, or during your next break. Cleaning the room between clients as per Covid procedures; removing all linens, spraying the room, and returning 3 minutes later to wipe everything clean before dressing the room and prepping it for the next service. The management here is friendly; approachable and understanding to our concerns and needs. They take note of issues and address them as soon as possible. Workplace culture is also pretty friendly and laid back, a good mix of people from various walks of life. The hardest part of the job... When there are last minute changes that I am not informed of, or I discover my room is not ready in time. It happens on busy days sometimes, or if something gets overlooked. Also some clients are just impossible to please. Do your best, but sometimes it's not a "you" problem. Breathe deep and move on. Best part of the job... Getting to know my clients and coworkers; seeing a good regular client of mine can make my day.
A work place that’s great for anyone looking for a great experience in the healthcare and wellness industry. You will be working with kind and patient management. Highly recommended as a workplace.
Working at Hand and Stone is amazing. Management and the owners really care about staff, they are accommodating, the pay is fair & benefits. The RMTS working at the Oakville location are very nice and really easy to get along with. While working at Hand and Stone I’ve been very happy it’s a great place to work. If you need any help someone is always there and willingly to give their time