Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa
Information from Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa:

Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa Employee Reviews

Canada33 reviews
Great Place
This was a great place to work during the time I was there. Simple tasks but required the ability to organize your time well. Without organization it is easy to fall behind and feel stressed. Management was good to me.
Fast paced environment but good money
i liked working for this company. Its always busy even tho is not the best paid in the industry but they keep clients coming back . so in the end you might be making the same as if you worked at a place where they pay more but its less busy. I guess it depends for each person...
Pros
always busy
Negative environment
The team lead is disrespectful, has a criminal record and is very negative. She got into a fight with a co worker in the parking lot... to where now 2 employees have quit because of her. Avoid this place.
Official response from Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa
8 May 2020
We value feedback very highly and use it to reflect on ways to improve. Thank you for the opportunity to understand your perspective better through the conversation we had following this review and the ability to confirm that all staff go through a background check in order to maintain employment at our location. Training and coaching are the two key factors that have come out of this opportunity for us and we have been able to make improvements and become better as a team because of what you have provided. Thank you for your feedback and we wish you the best in your future endeavours.
Terrible hours and management!
Worked at the Leaside location. Management was belittling and passive aggressive in their feedback. Understaffed, High turnover rate and poor pay. Zero opportunity for advancement or pay increases.
Always working
Although there seems like nothing to do, there will always be something to do; between the phones ringing and maintaining laundry, it is very rare to find down time.
Bad management
The job itself is fine, I enjoyed answering phones and checking out clients However, we had to spend at least half our shift doing laundry and folding sheets, and it was very difficult to keep up with that while also answering phones and greeting clients. Manager was unappreciative if her employees and always found reasons to complain about our work. Always involved her personal life in her attitude and decisions.
Loved working here
Loved working here . I had to leave because I moved out west but I wish I could’ve stayed. Management was really supportive. They have this great training program and I got a bonus for doing it. The bonus paid for my insurance and my registration fees and that was really helpful good.
Pros
Lots of work
Cons
The pay good be higher but there were lots of tips
Incompetent ownership
The Milton location is fairly new but the ownership of this specific establishment expected a lot from you which you aren't compensated for the hard work.
Pros
Great employees to work with
Cons
Poor ownership, Lack of job security, poor wages, work under appreciated
Busy productive work place
From day one I enjoyed working for this company. The management has always been extremely kind to me and there was always help when needed. It is extremely busy so the only downside is sometimes frustration from everyone
Pros
Friendly, Motivational
Cons
Work Drama
Okay place to work
This place is good for experience, but that's about it. They constantly messed up my schedule and didnt pay me properly a few times. Most days I would have 2-3 hour breaks between clients or I would just come in for one client.
Your experience depends on the owner of the franchise
Not a bad place to work overall, they provide rooms/equipment/linens/supplies and clients. They don't always understand that we are people and not machines, so you need to be clear with your limits. Coworkers were great and were the best part of the job. Management depends on the owner, some are great and some, not so much.
Pros
Good food near by, willing to work with your needs
Cons
not the cleanest
Would reccomend!
I have worked at Hand and Stone Leaside for almost 3 years and it is by far the best part time job I've had. The staff are helpful and friendly, the hours are great and the bosses are too! It can be a fast paced work environment, but so can any other job. There is room for growth at this location, and even within the franchise. I would highly recommend Leaside!
Pros
Pizza lunches, discounts, relaxed environment
Cons
Amazing owners, clean space, caring community
This location is by far the best. From the cleanliness, employees, talent and incentives this Hand and Stone is my favourite. They offer amazing employee discounts, they never micro manage, they trust you and give you freedom and flexibility and they genuinely care about their staff. They have generous programs and training available and are always looking to help advance their staff.
Pros
Incentives, discounted products and services
No Therapist should work here
Start to finish within their 90 day employment window. They look for quick turn around and the pay is terrible. New management was also terrible. Their in house courses are informative, but not being able to finish left me with nothing to use or claim on a CEU.
Pros
Cons
No flexibility, No faith in the therapist to make the right decisions. Extremely stressful.
Calm Environment
A great place to work with consistent and predictable hours. Clientele was always very pleasant and there is opportunity to make money through selling memberships.
Nice environment to work in with good people and thoughtful managers
I worked at Hand and Stone, Leaside location, for 2 years. Clients are generally friendly and staff is welcoming - a little bit of a family environment which was nice. The managers were very thoughtful people and genuinely had their employees' best interests at heart! Sometime could get busy and there is a learning curve to understand the computer systems, but overall a good experience and I gained a lot from working there!
Could be better
Easy to get a job here, you can usually start right away. I was able to make my own schedule but they required at least one weekend day shift. Working evenings and weekends are where the money is. Day shifts are slow and sporadic. They were always in need of therapists as we had lots of empty rooms. Those who worked were generally fully booked (especially female therapists). Great team atmosphere for the most part. Pay is on the lower end of the scale which is the main reason I no longer work there.
Pros
Many locations, easy to get a job, great coworkers, everything provided
Cons
Pay, tips are terrible, pay attention to commissions payouts, lots of slow periods, clientele can be hit or miss, lots of complaints
Massage therapists stay away
Worked in the Hand and Stone West end toronto. Owner promised us benefits in the contract that we signed in 3 months. Whenever we asked for benefits we got the same response," we are looking into it"
Years passed and no benefits were ever offered. Several staff left due to this, but the owner just got new staff to replace. There is no value to your service. The pay is rotten, min wage as per RMT standards. Clients get used to certain ttherapists, the owners try their best to mix it up. My advice to RMT's stay away! they will work you to the bone, pay you Min wage. Zero appreciation to RMT's.
Pros
you will have basic food on the table
Cons
Too many to list I will need a full page!
Organised and tidy
I t is more than 4 years I have been working for Hand & Stone in Burlington. I can rely on my income, I am full book and busy even in quit seasons.
Owner and manager are very open to the new ideas and they are so positive, they really respect their employee.

Front office is supportive and well trained.

Atmosphere is friendly and fun, we are such a family and one team.
Easy going job with the option of benefits.
Schedule is always busy. You just have to go in and massage. The rest of the tasks (laundry, scheduling, ect) are taken care of by the front desk team.
RMT underpaid....
RMTs are under paid, on cancellation of clients appointment you are paid... But RMT should fold sheets on free time... RMT is not treated like professional....
Official response from Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa
13 September 2017
Thank you for your review, Hand & Stone takes pride in creating a team atmosphere and values all of our employees. Our Spa Associates typically would take care of tasks related to linens, however, when the Spa is busy RMTs will pitch in to keep everything running smoothly and create a positive experience for client and staff. With respect to the RMT compensation, we are a competitive employer that offers many additional benefits to the RMT which include, marketing, Spa Associate support staff, booking of appointments, state of the art equipment, incentives for building clientele and professional development. We have RMTs that have experience ranging from a new RMT to many years in practice. Compensation is based on many variables and each Spa may vary slightly in their compensation structure.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.
2.5