Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa

Canada83 reviews

Found 83 reviews matching the searchSee all 1,796 reviews
spahandclientlocationowneramazingteameasy

Fun group, tough work

The staff within the spa locations are amazing. The front desk, aestheticians and RMTs are wonderful people to be surrounded by all day.Days were fun and the spas are busy.Corporate are helpful, they have a lot of systems in place to do quick easy advertisements to boost slow days, and reports are easily pulled to see employee/spa growth on Zenoti.Unfortunately, Spa Owners of H&S tend to be distant and rely entirely on Spa Managers for everything. Spa Manager positions are normally people management positions, but at H&S they are paid like front desk supervisors, and the job itself contains duties of a Spa Director. They expect you to imagine, create and push promotions and events, hold performance reviews, complete payroll, inventory etc.They are a US company originally and some parts that fit the US way are not what Canadian customers expect for a spa. They are SUPER focused on membership sales which I did not like. It's a dodgy practice, signing people up for memberships, hoping they forget about their monthly payments and never receive the treatments they have paid for.If you are thinking of applying for a H&S Spa Manager position do not except less than $50k, because that's what other small clinic/spa franchises offer

There are much worse minimum wage jobs

It's an Okay Job, Just don't expect much. Pay raises are 50 cents or a dollar max. You answer phones, make bookings, clean, Laundry.Experience varies per Branch in terms of how Busy. Summer is usually more dead than Winter

Insights into Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa

Areas for improvement
  • Fair pay for job
  • Trust in colleagues
  • Sense of belonging

pleasant work environment

The work environment is clean and pleasant, colleagues are friendly, spa management is organized. There are chances to learn new techniques such as hot stone, cold stone, cupping, aroma therapy etc.

Stay away!

Not enough pay for what the Spa Associates do, which is multi-tasking reception, cleaning, customer service, and sales. I felt that the owners, along with the manager, for the most part, were money hungry and put profit above everything else (e.g., employee well-being). I felt they were unhelpful, unsupportive, and loved guilt-tripping their overworked and understaffed employees.I was pestered with meeting sales goals and dealing with angry customers very frequently due to issues with their monthly subscription (e.g., the manager forgot to cancel their membership). I was going home stressed about returning to this workplace.The only enjoyable part of the job was some of the coworkers, who you could bond with over the work conditions.My advice: only work here if this is your absolute last option.

Pros

some coworkers

Cons

upper management

Not good work environment

The employee turnover rate is high and the job requirements exceed compensation. Poor work-life balance, no room to grow and poor management.

Pros

Employee discount on products

Cons

No salary increase

Gets pretty boring. Owners can ne manipulate

The job was nice and easy enough.Pretty quiet. And van be very boring. Well organized and clean. Minimum wage but you don't do much. A lot of cleaning and laundry

fast paced

overall was a good environment to work at. i found myself pushing to do better for myself and the company. the only thing is sometimes effort would go unnoticed

Pros

big clientele

Cons

overtime

Great place to work!!

Amazing place to work, i dont have to worry about my books being filled. i always have clients booked, i don't have to worry about any thing else such as laundry, Marketing, Booking clients, lotion/oils.. everything is provided. all i have to do is put all my concetration on my client treatments which is the best part.. owner of this location is very kind and understanding, whole team if very nice.

Pros

Free Tea or Coffee, Discount on products and services. full appointment book

Low pay, unprofessional environment

Overall the working conditions for the spa itself were ok, but the pay was very low and the management was nonexistent. The owner could not care less about the staff she keeps which shows, because they can never keep staff and the turn over rate is insane. I personally would recommend to stay away from chain places like this, where you are but a number and mean nothing at the end of the day. Other locations may be better, but the owner of the Barrie locations has a lot to learn.

Stressful work environment due to poor management

My role involved a constant rotation of Reception, Janitorial and Laundry duties, etc. Surprisingly this role can get quite physically tiring on busier days, which makes it very uncomfortable to return to the front desk out of breath and sweating. Management micro-manages too an excessive level, and in my opinion, ends up backfiring when it comes to productivity. I think there needs to be better strategic planning and discussion from management with their staff. The Sales Associate position is not worth minimum wage pay at this location. Many have come and gone quite quickly since they’ve opened.

Pros

Great co-workers, flexible hours

Cons

Low pay, micro-managing

14 February 2021
We appreciate you taking the time to write a review and are very happy to hear that you loved the staff culture and the flexible work hours that we offer. The Spa Associate position is a multi-faceted role and due to the nature of the business (health care) and the risks involved due to COVID-19 there is an extra amount of detail required both by management and staff during this time in order to keep staff and clients safe and comfortable. While we do acknowledge it can be challenging at times, ensuring staff and client safety is our company’s priority.We wish you the best in your work career and always appreciate what we can learn from our reviews and thank you for giving us the opportunity to respond to some of your concerns.

Management talks

Apparently all the owners know each other. Beware although the initial start is fun and easy if anything goes wrong you're out. If your personality doesn't fit your out. If you don't agree with what they want... you guessed it.. you're out. Management is too friendly with employees and they talk amongst each other behind your back. Some of their standards are archaic with table set up and material. Expectation is that you follow what management says even if it goes against CMTO standards and norms within industry. The place I worked at made their own rules and lied about being a "head office thing" and "that's what everyone else is doing" type of thing. Marketing you as a new hire was not happening! You might as well stay home

Pros

bonuses on up sales

Cons

when it is slow your expected to be on call, below standard hourly pay and management

Problematic Staff

Toxic work environment, there’s always gossip and management doesn’t know how to de-escalate conflict. Their own employees literally destroy the reputation of the company.

Pros

We’d get free lunch sometimes

Cons

Problematic SA’s, RMT loves to indulge in gossip, Constantly called in on off days, Short staffed, Terrible Management, You’re expected to work like a robot as an SA

9 February 2021
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We believe it is important to have transparency with respect to feedback and our employees, sharing both positive and negative feedback provides learning opportunities for everyone.It is unfortunate that Hand & Stone was not a fit for you, we wish you the best in your work career and will absolutely take your comments under advisement and appreciate having the opportunity to respond to your feedback.

A complete waste of time and confused management

Was essentially told that I was hired, after the manager asked me to attend a training session. The training was from 10 am until 7:30 pm, and was basically a bunch of information, with me not actually doing any work. Upon leaving, I was told I would receive the upcoming schedule. After leaving however the manger emailed me and told me that they had moved forward with another candidate. Makes absolutely no sense that they would not decide this during the hiring process and instead I was made to fill out multiple forms that made it seem as though I was hired, only for them to cut me after wasting my time, that I was not compensated for. Be weary of this place!

Cons

Mangement does not care

It's not what you think

Overall great company to work for if you're starting out as a new grad. I am an experience RMT going on 10 years and I felt my work was never paid adequately. There is room for advancement but that is all based on your "numbers". Example the owner of would hand out status reports of how many clients we had, how much they tipped and so on and client complaints. Which can be a bit unsettling due to the fact that she would post them for everyone to see. clients

Pros

Great people, and flexible hours

Cons

Poor pay and no time in between clients. You only get 10 min between for self care!

24 August 2020
Thank you for your feedback. It is great to hear that you feel that overall Hand & Stone is a great company to work for. We believe it is important to have transparency with respect to client feedback and our employees, sharing both positive and negative feedback provides learning opportunities for all employees. There are many important pieces to why and how our model works so well, including recognizing the administrative and marketing costs involved in order to provide a regular client base and in house support for our therapists so that they can enjoy a consistent income and healthy work-life balance. Communication is key so that our therapists understand our model and are confident that they are paid fairly. Our schedule does reflect 10 minutes time between clients, however, there are therapists that would like more time and can request a change in schedule with their Manager. It is unfortunate that Hand & Stone was not a fit for you, we wish you the best in your massage therapy practice in the future and appreciate having the opportunity to respond to your feedback.

Amazing place to work

I enjoy coming to work and feel appreciated, acknowledged and rewarded. Everyone communicates in an honest and positive way. High standards according to COVID-19 regulations. I feel safe and in a healthy environment.

Great place to work!

I find that employment at Hand & Stone doesn’t feel like “work”. I love being able to work with a great team and have formed close friendships along the way. The owner is very accommodating and it is a pleasure to work for her. It’s a great opportunity and overall great environment

Hand and Stone employment recommendation

I’ve worked at Hand and Stone for just over 2 and a half years and have enjoyed my time working here. I got the opportunity to start right out of school and I would recommend working at Hand and Stone! They provide: -flexible schedule and great work/life balance -bookings are consistent and usually always full which means steady income -Spa Associates do bookings and laundry for so Message Therapists are not required to -medical benefits -Hand and Stone has taken on the cost of PPE for us during the COVID pandemic -supportive management throughout COVID, always advocating for us and respecting our professional judgement -clients love the membership program so their benefits go further, or if they don’t have benefits they can save money and come in more often - Opportunity for raises - Paid training (cupping, hot stone)

Flexibility, work-life ballance

In the past 25 years working in all kinds of fields, I had never more flexible, understanding owner/manager than Helen. I feel honoured to work here because the location and the clientele.

absolutely recommend!

learned to work as part of a team, and work towards a common goal of delivering the best quality of service. management is very accommodating and the workplace culture is just very healthy.

Basic

I’ve worked for this company for around 8 years now. So far it’s been good job, the new owners are amazing people and very fair. I count myself as lucky

Clean and organized enviroment

A clean and organized enviroment.Very knowledgable people to work for and with.Focused and dedicated to deliver and make experience of client and staff happy.Services should have more time between.Its very fast the time between clients.It feels like work assebly.Though its very proffesional and with high standards place to be employed.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hand & Stone Massage and Facial Spa. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement