Hammond Power Solutions Employee Reviews

Just A Number
Operator (Former Employee) –  Walkerton, ON14 April 2018
If you need a paycheck, go ahead. If you want a life, HPS management cares little for that. Constant mandatory overtime leaves no room for personal issues. Management only cares about production and deadlines. Personal emergency? Too bad. Those are not allowed. However there is more than enough favoritism and bias to go around. Someone’s harassing you in any way? Don’t worry, management will ignore it and allow it to continue. I’ll never darken their doorstep again. Unless you’re desperate, I suggest you don’t either.
Pros
Cons
Too much overtime. No competent HR representation.
good products
Senior Engineer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, Ontario5 January 2018
good culture, well connected distribution of products, expert in speciality, respected in north america.
Excellent owner and plans for future, supports education of employees.
Don't do it.
Salary (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON10 November 2017
Family run company with really poor senior management who are archaic in not only their management style but also in their values. Control is the name of the game. Senior management team are nicknamed HPS mafia as they don't engage any of the employees in operational or strategic activities.
Pros
People in middle management and below are nice and hardworking.
Cons
controlling senior management and no desire to improve or change.
A great and unique organization
PLANNING SUPERVISOR (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON17 October 2017
Hammond Power Solutions had one of the greatest home-grown cultures I've experienced. They really tailored themselves internally to give you the most opportunity to grow.
Productive and inclusive
Steel Core Cutter/Stacker (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON12 October 2017
Everyone at Hammond is very inviting and kind. I was working there as a summer student in 2012 and 2013. Everyone is patient in the training process and there is a positive team culture.
productive face paced
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Walkerton, ON24 April 2017
This job can be enjoyable when you work with nice people. Its fun to build things. Management does not care about it's employees at all..... But if your looking for a quick job this is the place. The hardest part of the job is dealing with cranky people.
Hammond Power Solutions
Class 5 Coil winder and Transformer assembler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 March 2017
Company treats its employees fairly well but badly managed.
Co-Workers on the floor are good to work with and helpful to one another.
Frequently layoff employees as soon as work slows down or not enough contracts.
Not a very good sales team or marketing for their product to sustain steady orders for transformers.
A good place to work with decent pay and benefits.
Transformer Assembly Welder, Coil Winder (Current Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 October 2014
I've learned a lot working for this company over the past six years. I've gained many useful skills and abilities such as welding, brazing, and reading technical design drawings. It is a very laid back company that gives the employees a lot of space to do the job. this laid back approach however has caused the company to become poorly managed and highly inefficient. there seems to be very little accountability on all levels. Other than the lack of managerial abilities Hammonds is a good company to work for with wonderful people to work with.
A Good Experience for a Student
Student Purchasing Agent (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON2 September 2014
I received the opportunity to work at HPS while I was on summer break in my second year of college. I could not be more glad that I took this opportunity.

I learned the various responsibilities that are expected of a junior buyer such as placing and maintaining purchase orders, and expediting where need be. It was actual on the job experience which was much more beneficial than classroom learning alone. I learned the importance of deadlines in a manufacturing environment.

Management and co-workers were easy to get along with and always glad to help me if I had a question. I learned a lot from everyone here. I also learned about various other roles in a manufacturing setting, and how Purchasing interacts with these other individuals.

Overall, it was a very good experience, and I would not be where I am now without this opportunity.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Shorter Lunch Hour
Attention to detail
General labourer (Former Employee) –  Walkerton, ON27 April 2014
Made transformers and loaded trucks in shipping and receiving. Learned to pay attention to detail and follow spec sheets to ensure proper parts and wire were installed in each transformer. Excellent management made everyone feel important and rewarded for their hard work. Working under tight deadlines was the hardest part of the job while the most enjoyable aspect was working with patient and friendly superiors.
Great people
Production Control Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Guelph25 March 2013
The working environment in the office is very friendly. Good place to work.