Hammond Power Solutions

Hammond Power Solutions Employee Reviews

good working environment within the company, poor working conditions in many areas and the company's managers do not think about their workers and the mediocre salary compared to their other companies.
Poor representation from the employee's association, amiable managers were under too much pressure to discipline, the not-so amiable managers were too eager to discipline unfairly and for little or invalid reasons. It's not a good place to work for "non-favorites". HPS reported quarterly profits every quarter for the entire 8 years of my employment with them, yet they still felt the need to outsource production to their plants in Mexico and India.
Pros
Wages are slightly above average, Free lunches, barbeques on or near statutory holidays, great afternoon shift hours (4-10 hour shifts).
Cons
Poor pension plan, wages weren't high enough for new hires to purchase modest housing in the same town.
Sweep things under the carpet instead of dealing with it. Gives your positions away underneath you. Good luck getting training it’ll take 6 months for them to even think about training. They’re more worried about getting their products out the door rather than their employees.
Cons
Work 6 days a week, Slack on training, Supervisor just walks and gossips and doesn’t do her job, Slack on dealing with harassment issues.
Great place to work in the Guelph area. People in the office are welcoming, kind and helpful. Great to work for a Canadian, family-run company with considerable benefits and pension package.
Pros
People, Benefits
If you need a paycheck, go ahead. If you want a life, HPS management cares little for that. Constant mandatory overtime leaves no room for personal issues. Management only cares about production and deadlines. Personal emergency? Too bad. Those are not allowed. However there is more than enough favoritism and bias to go around. Someone’s harassing you in any way? Don’t worry, management will ignore it and allow it to continue. I’ll never darken their doorstep again. Unless you’re desperate, I suggest you don’t either.
Pros
Cons
Too much overtime. No competent HR representation.
good culture, well connected distribution of products, expert in speciality, respected in north america. Excellent owner and plans for future, supports education of employees.
Cons
Family run company with really poor senior management who are archaic in not only their management style but also in their values. Control is the name of the game. Senior management team are nicknamed HPS mafia as they don't engage any of the employees in operational or strategic activities.
Pros
People in middle management and below are nice and hardworking.
Cons
controlling senior management and no desire to improve or change.
Hammond Power Solutions had one of the greatest home-grown cultures I've experienced. They really tailored themselves internally to give you the most opportunity to grow.
Everyone at Hammond is very inviting and kind. I was working there as a summer student in 2012 and 2013. Everyone is patient in the training process and there is a positive team culture.
This job can be enjoyable when you work with nice people. Its fun to build things. Management does not care about it's employees at all..... But if your looking for a quick job this is the place. The hardest part of the job is dealing with cranky people.
Company treats its employees fairly well but badly managed. Co-Workers on the floor are good to work with and helpful to one another. Frequently layoff employees as soon as work slows down or not enough contracts. Not a very good sales team or marketing for their product to sustain steady orders for transformers.
I received the opportunity to work at HPS while I was on summer break in my second year of college. I could not be more glad that I took this opportunity. I learned the various responsibilities that are expected of a junior buyer such as placing and maintaining purchase orders, and expediting where need be. It was actual on the job experience which was much more beneficial than classroom learning alone. I learned the importance of deadlines in a manufacturing environment. Management and co-workers were easy to get along with and always glad to help me if I had a question. I learned a lot from everyone here. I also learned about various other roles in a manufacturing setting, and how Purchasing interacts with these other individuals. Overall, it was a very good experience, and I would not be where I am now without this opportunity.
Pros
Friendly Environment
Cons
Shorter Lunch Hour
Made transformers and loaded trucks in shipping and receiving. Learned to pay attention to detail and follow spec sheets to ensure proper parts and wire were installed in each transformer. Excellent management made everyone feel important and rewarded for their hard work. Working under tight deadlines was the hardest part of the job while the most enjoyable aspect was working with patient and friendly superiors.
The working environment in the office is very friendly. Good place to work.