Hamilton Health Sciences
Here to help
Coronavirus update

Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Canada156 reviews
great place to find and build what you are good at. Fosters growth .. only bad thing they depend and push having letters behind your name instead of hiring qualified people who have been doing the jobs longer and know better the role needed. Not everything should be about education
The Hamilton Health Sciences has become a very stressful environment to work at. It was very difficult to maintain a balance home and work life. Now with the Covid 19 virus, the stress levels are over the top.
The people at Hamilton Health Sciences are tremendous. They work extremely hard, whether in research, on the front line, or behind the scenes. I would work there again.
A great place to work in IT. It is a head of it's time in some areas and very slow in others. HITS has a work at home policy that has been in for for over 10 years as part of it's pandemic planning so Covid 19 was merely a bump for most staff except now need to spend 5 days working remotely versus 1. Also the department is involved on going QA and have a couple of parties a year and regular(monthly) full department meetings . On the slow side it is a government agency and simple procurement tasks can take weeks to get approved and completed.
Awesome people to work with. Loved my stay there. Management is very helpful I only have good words for them. Co-workers are also friendly and helpful.
Pros
Awesome place to work.
Cons
The work is easy, can be a bit emotionally draining. The environment isn't very good and management is very hard to work with. The money is really good and benefits are great if you manage to get full time position. Most people work as part- time and pick up shifts, most of the part-timers get full time hours.
Pros
Good Money
Cons
Bad management
My typical day at work is cleaning patient rooms/area keeping them healthy and safe

the hardest part of the job is seeing critically ill patients and seeing upset families

the most enjoyable part is seeing how thankful and happy patients are when you clean their room for them they really are appreciative
I liked the environment and the people I worked with
Even though some things were tedious the time went by quickly

Feels like a family when you are there
This job is made out to be the complete opposite of what it actually is. The training is an absolute joke. You're trained by reluctant employees that don't even want to train you and then expected to perform at a level that isn't reasonable. The schedule is ALWAYS changing and you're always being called-in or asked to start earlier or stay later. They ask for a lot and give nothing in return. Overall, the job itself isn't terrible if you have experience in food service but when you add unorganized management, no training, and expectations that are just unreasonable, it is one of the worst work environments I've ever experienced.
Healthcare is both a great, rewarding environment and a scary, volatile environment due to constant budget concerns.

I continue to work at HHS and I hope to continue to do so until retirement
Pros
Acceptable salary range
Cons
Fear of job loss due to budget constrains
Assisting people in crisis
How to effectively respond to the 4 stages of a crisis

Management is incompetent

Toxic work environment

Dealing with a toxic manager

Being able to offer some sort of resolution to people going through a traumatic event
Good team work amongst health care professionals with a common goal to provide the best health care. Busy environment. Positive work culture. CQI implemented to allow all employees to get involved in identifying problems and create a plan to help solve them.
pays good great people and decent to their employees. employed for 8 years. no benefitsbut recieve in lieu of so the extra cash is nice. flexible hours once probation is over
Management showed indifference to concerns expressed about daily, on-going toxic behaviours, harassment and workplace violence. Needs of disabled employees were not supported, managers tolerated and sometimes engaged in toxic gossiping and bullying.
Pros
Great pay, great extended medical benefits, great pension.
Cons
Managers display indifference to employee raised concerns.
On paper the job looks great.
Fairly Easy Commute and parking in a off-hospital-site office.

Interview was very good and benefits package is impressive. Just being part of the HOOPS pension alone is a huge bonus.

Unfortunately the reality of the job is far different from the job posting. People are over stressed and a few are left picking up the slack for everyone else. The IT staff runs 24/7 and 365 days a year. If you land help desk then you are on-call 1/3 of the year. And I mean 24/7 for 2 weeks on, 4 weeks off rotation. Response time is critical. If you land a job as Systems Specialist, May God save you. I mean Rock&HardPalace. IT manager turn over is usually 18months so good luck getting one on your side. Help desk does not work with you as 1st & 2nd line it support-style IT support. You are putting out their fires and yours.

** Hope you see this before you apply.

*** Just run
Pros
HOOPS pension and benefits
Cons
Work/life balance, management toxicity, all else
Versatility and hard work can lead to opportunities within the organization. Health care faces much change and transformation, and HHS is no exception. If you are someone who can adapt to new challenges, focus on quality improvements and innovative ideas you will enjoy the work.
Great workplace culture with excellent work and life balance. Modern office and amenities. Alot of contract positions however which makes it difficult to retain employees
I've enjoyed my year within HHS and continue to do so. I've learned so much started 19 years ago in the kitchen, quickly moving into the administration role.
I have also occasionally waitressed on the side as my children are grown and enjoyed that very much also.

Eagar to find work part time or casual.
I will recommend to anyone. Good Benefits, good salary. More advancement. Good staff training and harmonious place to work for, even though it can get very busy.
I had a pleasure working with the great minds which also gave me an opportunity to learn and grow. Learned working with new softwares as well as gained technical skills.
I ended up leaving after the nurses in the CICU wouldn't stop mocking patient conditions, it made me rethink my entire university pursuit and I never want to work in a unionized hospital ever again.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hamilton Health Sciences. Our community is ready to answer.
Hamilton Health Sciences Reviews by Location