Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Environmental Aide/Porter
Environmental Aide, Porter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 September 2018
The Hamilton Health Sciences is an excellent employer. Through terminal cleaning of hospital rooms, I gained experience utilizing chemicals and cleaning agents to disinfect all surfaces of the room so the next person to use the room would not become sick. I also gained experience portering patients and supplies through the corridors of the hospital in a safe and professional manor. When portering it is important to utilize the convex mirrors in the hallways to ensure you don't hit patrons or equipment while moving a stretcher or equipment. I also learned the importance of using proper body mechanics when transferring a patient from a hospital bed to a stretcher.
Pros
excellent experience
Cons
n/a
Stressful Culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2018
Management are in the roles because of their position in the organization and succession management but unfortunately that does not mean they have the skills required to be management and handle staff appropriately and properly.
Registered Nurse
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2018
Great environment. People were team oriented and there fore the patients well being - That was always center focus. Paid Vacation days worked (at time and a half), as well as lieu days, and drop days. Many (10+) recognized holidays per year.
As a former employee of HHS who left on my own accord I feel I need to post this review
Other (Former Employee) –  All sites14 August 2018
Although I was never the subject of discipline I will say that HHS is an extremely punitive environment for staff to work in. Any claims of a "non-punitive culture" are false and completely misleading.

Culture is borderline harassment depending on the department you are in. Teamwork is non-existent in most units and confrontation with staff is the norm.

Horrible horrible employer. I will never go back to that toxic organization.
Pros
pay
Cons
too many too list
A busy fast paced, patient care orientated work environment
Business Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2018
A busy work environment. Always busy attending to patients and family members. Main focus is about patient care. Team work is essential. Team players are well received.
Pros
Job satisfying is imperial. The smiles on the patient's face speaks volumes
Productive and fun place to work in.
Environmental Aide (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2018
It is a very good place to work in especially if you like interaction with people. A very busy area but it is worth it. There are a lot of good people working for the company.
fun with patients and families
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2018
A patient experienced shortness of breath. Team work made process easier. Management got involved. When we work together hard work becomes lighter.We celebrated each others success .
Pros
free food for appreciation
Cons
large assignments during late call inns
Workplace Culture
CLINICAL PHARMACIST (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2018
Gossip is endemic in this workplace culture which is highly toxic to the employee. Employee parking is expensive. Benefits are reasonable. Location of main hospital is located in a sketchy area.
Great group of people
BUSINESS CLERK (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 July 2018
The position could be very challenging and demanding at times. There are slow days and then there are overwhelming days. I do work with a great bunch of nurses and drs on the ward and we all help each other as best we can.
Great environment but too management heavy
Vascular Access RN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 July 2018
A great place to work. Teaching hospital system associated with McMaster University. Unfortunately cost cutting measures often affect the quality of patient care with too many dollars wasted on management positions.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Too many managers
Pretty Good
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 June 2018
HHS is a pretty good place to work, the pay is good and there are lots of different shifts to work. There are lots of opportunities to advance as well
great place
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 May 2018
Great place to work, way too top heavy and constantly changing management. many places to move in the corporation and great relationship building opportunities.
excellent employer
AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 May 2018
management is great
lots of room for growth
education incentives
flexible hours
good work community
team work is encouraged
several committees
good benefits
Pros
large
Cons
large
Consultant
Autism Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 April 2018
As a Consultant, there is a mix of paperwork, data, and relationship building.
The workplace culture is governed by Ontario work standards.
I enjoyed to variety of the job.
Great Wages
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 April 2018
A Hospital environment may not be for everybody.
There are many great workers around you. You can apply for different jobs in other departments - seniority based.
Pros
great wages
Cons
start out as casual employee
Great pay and benefits
PORTER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 March 2018
Lots of multi taskings, co workers are fun, great place to works, all boss's are fun and schedule is excellent, all postitions can include part time, full time, weekends only, very flex as per life style!
great teams and interesting and challenging environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2018
I love working for Hamilton Health Sciences. I feel valued and appreciated at the end of every shift. Sometimes we work in an understaffed environment, but for the most part, it's manageable.
Pros
good benefits and "in lieu of" benefits for part time workers
Terrific working environment
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 January 2018
A very limited number of wonderfully dedicated people working in a medical environment providing optimal care for the public under extremely limited budgetary restraints.
Pros
Terrific staff
Cons
Governmental financial restraints
Productive, Flexible and Caring
Pain Clinical Administrative Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2018
I was assisting with data collection, management and writing of two research projects. All the staff were receptive to the changes, they allowed me to learn on the job, and were understanding when I needed to take time off for health issues. Great place to get started in clinical research.
Micro lab tech
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2017
there are no typical days at work in the microbiology laboratory. Everyday is different, although our work procedures are the same, we are constantly updating SOPS for specimen set-up and work together with the technologist to ensure the best outcome for the patients benefit. We constantly run into problems with how our samples are received (wrong container) or ordered.
Pros
treats in lunch room, lunch and learns, micro works as a team. feels like family
Cons
volume or workload, overwhemling at times.