Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

great place
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 May 2018
Great place to work, way too top heavy and constantly changing management. many places to move in the corporation and great relationship building opportunities.
excellent employer
AUTISM SPECTRUM DISORDER SPECIALIST (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 May 2018
management is great
lots of room for growth
education incentives
flexible hours
good work community
team work is encouraged
several committees
good benefits
Pros
large
Cons
large
Consultant
Autism Consultant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON20 April 2018
As a Consultant, there is a mix of paperwork, data, and relationship building.
The workplace culture is governed by Ontario work standards.
I enjoyed to variety of the job.
Great Wages
Material Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 April 2018
A Hospital environment may not be for everybody.
There are many great workers around you. You can apply for different jobs in other departments - seniority based.
Pros
great wages
Cons
start out as casual employee
Great pay and benefits
PORTER (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON17 March 2018
Lots of multi taskings, co workers are fun, great place to works, all boss's are fun and schedule is excellent, all postitions can include part time, full time, weekends only, very flex as per life style!
great teams and interesting and challenging environment
Personal Support Worker (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON14 March 2018
I love working for Hamilton Health Sciences. I feel valued and appreciated at the end of every shift. Sometimes we work in an understaffed environment, but for the most part, it's manageable.
Pros
good benefits and "in lieu of" benefits for part time workers
Terrific working environment
Transcriptionist (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 January 2018
A very limited number of wonderfully dedicated people working in a medical environment providing optimal care for the public under extremely limited budgetary restraints.
Pros
Terrific staff
Cons
Governmental financial restraints
Productive, Flexible and Caring
Pain Clinical Administrative Assisstant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 January 2018
I was assisting with data collection, management and writing of two research projects. All the staff were receptive to the changes, they allowed me to learn on the job, and were understanding when I needed to take time off for health issues. Great place to get started in clinical research.
Micro lab tech
Medical Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON28 December 2017
there are no typical days at work in the microbiology laboratory. Everyday is different, although our work procedures are the same, we are constantly updating SOPS for specimen set-up and work together with the technologist to ensure the best outcome for the patients benefit. We constantly run into problems with how our samples are received (wrong container) or ordered.
Pros
treats in lunch room, lunch and learns, micro works as a team. feels like family
Cons
volume or workload, overwhemling at times.
Job conditions
Registered Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 December 2017
Excellent employer. Open to changes and ideas from the staff. Good job security. Interesting advancements. Cutting edge educations in medicine and nursing.
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Night shifts are hard .
Hospital environment
SYSTEMS ADMINISTRATOR (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON26 September 2017
Working in a hospital environment can be challenging as things move slower than in a lot of other sectors. The pay, benefits and chances for advancement were all excellent.
My day at work
Administrative Assistant (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 September 2017
A typical day at work is when I arrive I review my calendar to see if any new requests have come in and then I decide how to prioritize my day. Specific days require specific work completion by myself and from time to time I need to change it up if there are any urgent requests.

I continuously learn and I am eager to learn something different every day. Even if it is something small, it may prove to be something big!

Our management team is great team to work with they are always available for guidance and mentorship whenever needed.

The workplace environment that I am currently employed is a wonderful team of qualified people and clinics/departments.

I feel that the hardest part of the job is that sometimes there is not enough time in the day to complete the tasks at hand. I find it more disappointment than the hardest part of the job. When I arrive at work, I try to have a strategy of goals that I want to achieve in that given day and sometimes it does not always go as planned, but I grab the bull by the horns and give my 125% to get the work completed.

The most enjoyable part of my job is providing my services to our team and making their jobs easier.
At a clinic
Hospital Volunteer (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2017
A typical day would include going to the hospital at 9:00 am, greeting all my co-workers, then proceeding with my supervisor downstairs to the basement where we would file and purge old patient charts for a few hours. Lunch was 12:00 pm to 1, then continue with the charts until 5:00 pm
Pros
Great workplace
Cons
Lonely
I love working with patients in the health care setting.
Environmental aide (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 September 2017
U learn to have a lot of patience. working with others. working alone. Handing problems us they come. working on-call working most weekends. working all shifts.
Pros
great place to work.
Cons
pay always different.
I enjoy my work in the Heart investigation unit looking after and talking to patients. It is alway interesting and every day is different.
Staff Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 August 2017
A typical work day is admitting patients from home and other hospitals. getting them ready for the angiogram and post care and a lot of teaching.
Despite being in a critical care setting for many years there is always something new to learn. New developments such as TAVI's (heart valve replacement ) and Mitral clips are now regularly done.

Because of government cuts every year since 2011 the hospital management has cut jobs every year causing more stress on staff and don't listen to the staff concerns. Staff are becoming burned out and over worked.

The most enjoyable part of my job are the nurses I work with and the people/patients I meet every day.

The hardest part is when the patients take a turn for the worse. We frequently see critical patients that come in by ambulance and need an urgent angiogram /angioplasty.
Pros
weekends and stat holidays off. No night shifts
Cons
Frequently doing call and wearing lead for X-rays
hands on Clinic with many opportunites for patien interaction
Registered Nurse (Current Employee) –  MacMaster15 July 2017
multiple opportunities to utilize skills and improve /add on skills, ie:training others, preceptor ship .
Opportunities for input into patient advocacy.
working with multi disciplinary team.
Pros
leadership opportunities
Cons
lack of positive reinforcement
Great place to work, awesome co-workers
Materials Handler (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 July 2017
Great place to work, awesome co-workers. Love the atmosphere. Would highly recommend working at Hamilton Health Science to anyone who was interested to.
Pros
Great atmosphere
Cons
Not full time
Friendly place to work.
RN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2017
12 hour shifts, acute care setting. Friendly and compassionate staff. Busy hospital, with clients with multiple complex health issues. Constant learning abilities. Would benefit from keeping more front line staff. Clean environment.
Pros
great coworkers
Cons
short staffed frequently
great bunch of staff
Personal Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 July 2017
my manager was not good at all managers changed hands many times over the years scheduling was very poorly done and work load was very very heavy at times
Productive, challenging and supportive
RN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 May 2017
You will always secure employment and have an intrinsically rewarding position. Education and learning in order to provide supportive services is essential.
Pros
Long Hours