Hamilton Health Sciences Employee Reviews

Toxic workplace
Former RN (Former Employee) –  General site13 January 2019
Workplace culture was difficult. Gossip is the worst. If you weren’t the scapegoat, someone else always was. Certain other members of the team could get away with toxic behavior in front of patients and staff, but they would always get away with pretty much anything. If you tried to call them out on their behaviors, there was always retaliation. I witnessed one staff member come in and start yelling and screaming because the unit was not cleared out. There were issues with beds not being ready, and some patients needed more intervention before they could go to the floor. She wanted to be able to work her shift with no patients in the unit. . When I reported her to management, I was told she was under stress and that she was having a bad day. Then I was isolated and targeted by Most of the other nurses. The behaviors only got worse.
Management had certain favorites who could do no wrong.
Yet they targeted other staff members. Code of conduct was nonexistent, and the union pretty much said that management could get away with whatever they wanted. I had one union representative tell me that it was common knowledge that I was being targeted but there wasting anything I could do about it.
Extremely toxic workplace.
Productive and relaxed work environment
AutoCAD Student (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON9 January 2019
Learned many AutoCAD skills
Management is very nice and welcoming
Dealing with too many requests flustered us in the workspace
The most enjoyable part of the job is the people were the coworkers and how we helped one another.
HHS provides opportunity for employee appreciation
Cardiology and Vascular surgery (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON5 January 2019
HHS is a regional center for cardiology, cardiovascular surgery, trauma, stroke rehab ,oncology , pediatrics, pediatric oncology. There are many opportunities for enriching ones experience. McMaster university provides education and work experience due to its educational opportunities
Pros
Free bbq throughout the year
Cons
12 hour shifts
busy work place
Rpn (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON29 December 2018
it is depend of team. I am very serous in my work and would like to provide the best care to the patient, however it is important to have fan in your work place.
Pros
no free lunch and coffee
Cons
we have 30 min break
Inspiring, learning, teaching, training
Laboratory Technician (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON19 December 2018
rewarding- passion, integrity, dedication,

empathy, compassion, team work, positive towards self and others.

Lots of learning ! Fun ! Responsibilities

Helping many patients

Reporting to Doctors
Pros
Inspiring patients, helping patients always learning new in medical
Cons
Zero cons
A overall good workplace
BUSINESS CLERK (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 October 2018
Over the three years I have worked here, there have been ups and downs. There are clinics who have amazing staff who work as a team and then there are clinics and units with poor management. It depends where you go and who you work for/with. Overall, I recommend HHS as long as you don't expect quick advancement.
Great job culture
Program Secretary (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 October 2018
Great work culture with opportunity for career growth. My most enjoyable part about working for HHS was the interpersonal relationships with various staff members.
Pros
great opportunities for career advancement
Cons
heavy workload
A great place to work
Senior Organizational Development Specialist (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON3 October 2018
I spent six years in a contract role at HHS. I learned a lot and hope I contributed a lot. I have great respect for most of the people I worked with there, including my OD colleagues, managers and directors.
Pros
Being valued for contribution and service.
Cons
Constrained budgets!
good place with full of opportunities for career development
Registered General Nurse (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 September 2018
Great Team to work with. Healthcare team to patient ratio needs improving. Advantage of working in different sites of the organization when you join the Nursing resource team means you get to experience different practice setting each time
Environmental Aide/Porter
Environmental Aide, Porter (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON4 September 2018
The Hamilton Health Sciences is an excellent employer. Through terminal cleaning of hospital rooms, I gained experience utilizing chemicals and cleaning agents to disinfect all surfaces of the room so the next person to use the room would not become sick. I also gained experience portering patients and supplies through the corridors of the hospital in a safe and professional manor. When portering it is important to utilize the convex mirrors in the hallways to ensure you don't hit patrons or equipment while moving a stretcher or equipment. I also learned the importance of using proper body mechanics when transferring a patient from a hospital bed to a stretcher.
Pros
excellent experience
Cons
n/a
Stressful Culture
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 August 2018
Management are in the roles because of their position in the organization and succession management but unfortunately that does not mean they have the skills required to be management and handle staff appropriately and properly.
Registered Nurse
Staff Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 August 2018
Great environment. People were team oriented and there fore the patients well being - That was always center focus. Paid Vacation days worked (at time and a half), as well as lieu days, and drop days. Many (10+) recognized holidays per year.
As a former employee of HHS who left on my own accord I feel I need to post this review
Other (Former Employee) –  All sites14 August 2018
Although I was never the subject of discipline I will say that HHS is an extremely punitive environment for staff to work in. Any claims of a "non-punitive culture" are false and completely misleading.

Culture is borderline harassment depending on the department you are in. Teamwork is non-existent in most units and confrontation with staff is the norm.

Horrible horrible employer. I will never go back to that toxic organization.
Pros
pay
Cons
too many too list
A busy fast paced, patient care orientated work environment
Business Clerk (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2018
A busy work environment. Always busy attending to patients and family members. Main focus is about patient care. Team work is essential. Team players are well received.
Pros
Job satisfying is imperial. The smiles on the patient's face speaks volumes
Productive and fun place to work in.
Environmental Aide (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON11 August 2018
It is a very good place to work in especially if you like interaction with people. A very busy area but it is worth it. There are a lot of good people working for the company.
fun with patients and families
Registered Practical Nurse (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON18 July 2018
A patient experienced shortness of breath. Team work made process easier. Management got involved. When we work together hard work becomes lighter.We celebrated each others success .
Pros
free food for appreciation
Cons
large assignments during late call inns
Workplace Culture
CLINICAL PHARMACIST (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON10 July 2018
Gossip is endemic in this workplace culture which is highly toxic to the employee. Employee parking is expensive. Benefits are reasonable. Location of main hospital is located in a sketchy area.
Great group of people
BUSINESS CLERK (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 July 2018
The position could be very challenging and demanding at times. There are slow days and then there are overwhelming days. I do work with a great bunch of nurses and drs on the ward and we all help each other as best we can.
Great environment but too management heavy
Vascular Access RN (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON1 July 2018
A great place to work. Teaching hospital system associated with McMaster University. Unfortunately cost cutting measures often affect the quality of patient care with too many dollars wasted on management positions.
Pros
Close to home
Cons
Too many managers
Pretty Good
Security Officer (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON8 June 2018
HHS is a pretty good place to work, the pay is good and there are lots of different shifts to work. There are lots of opportunities to advance as well