Hamilton Golf and Country Club Employee Reviews

Golf Professional (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 April 2019
work in the pro shop is good. good relationships with other staff members and the members of the club are nice people too. Hard working 6 days a week in the summer.
Pros
Free lunch
Cons
6 days a week
Fun Summer Job, Great Flexibility
Men's Locker-room Attendant (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON29 January 2019
The job was very straight forward. You would collect the men's dress shoes when they entered the locker room, shine them and return them to their locker. When done golfing you would hand wash their shoes, and shine when needed. Other responsibilities including making sure the men's locker room and washrooms were well equipped in supplies (toothbrushes, towels, shaving cream, razors, etc), vacuum and mop area. shine and dust furniture. Other responsibilities included setting up for events, polishing floors, sweeping main entrance.
Pros
Free Lunches every other friday, use of course on Monday evenings
Cons
hours can be long drawn out, responsibility of position is not clear
Great Work environment
Course and Grounds Crew (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON17 January 2019
There is a reason why this club has been around for so long. the management is great and provides a great working environment for everyone. I would recommend this job to everyone had a great experience here.
Beautiful Golf Course
Banquet Cook (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON9 June 2018
Working at the HGCC was a fun time, you work closely with professionals from all over the world and learn plenty. Great bosses and awesome atmosphere. Low paying and awkward hours were the only negatives.
Pros
Free lunches great environment
Cons
Awkward hours
Stressful yet rewarding.
Caddie (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON7 June 2018
I found that working at the country club wasn’t too bad, other than the way the golfers treated me and other caddy’s. It was a very good experience, as it introduced me to the working world, and gave me a good way to earn money while learning good workplace skills and learning the history of golf.
Pros
Free lunches
Cons
Early starting hours, some golfers were ill mannered.
Good
Caddy (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON26 March 2018
Good job for young students you get paid 25-35$ per 18 hole round. I enjoyed working here. No commitment great first job to learn the values of employment.
really enjoy this club at this stage of my life
maintenance & club housekeeping (Former Employee) –  Canada10 January 2018
membership personal are great! Staff easy to work with. Good hours. Very fullfilling day at end of shift. Management is easy to approach. Learned how to approach members with confidence.
great golf
Backshop Worker (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON22 January 2017
great hours, great team, great ambiance, overall a great place to work at with good leadership and great privileges . The environment is great the members are great and provide us with a lot in return for our dedication to our work
Pros
free golf
Cons
free foods
Great place to work!
Golf Course Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON9 January 2017
Everything here is great. Great people, benefits and the workplace is outdoors! Can't beat it!

Free golf, lots of staff events, great pay. If you like early mornings, you can't beat it!
Pros
Good pay, great hours!
Cons
Early start, if you are a night owl.
Ok place to work
Assistant Cook (Former Employee) –  Hamilton27 September 2016
it was a great place to work I enjoyed my time there, the management was good the co workers were mostly nice and friendly and I just enjoyed working there and doing my part
productive workplace
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON22 August 2016
as said before a great workplace overall great environment with great people as well as the benefits that come along with the job when the members decide to help you out
Loved working there!
Server (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON1 August 2016
Everyone was super friendly, beautiful environment. Would love to go back, unfortunately had to leave as unforeseen circumstances had come up.
Great learning experience
Line Cook/Dishwasher (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 November 2015
Learned a lot about cooking methods and the restaurant business. Management was new and hard to approach. Co-workers were inviting and very nice.
It is a fun place to work,
Halfway Hut Attendent (Current Employee) –  Ancaster, ON23 May 2015
I set up halfway inside and out. Make sure all items are stocked up, food is prepared and ready to go, i.e hot dogs are on, enough sandwiches are ready, washrooms are clean, fridges are well stocked. I do the training of all halfway staff, so, my co-workers are the best, as are other areas of the Clubhouse. Hardest part of the job is boredom, the most enjoyable is helping members with whatever they require, food, a call to the pro shop, etc.
Pros
The most beautiful golfcourse and scenery
Cons
only seasonal work
Bartender / Server (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON13 February 2015
Good place to work, close to home
learned about rich peoples needs
learned how to handle the rich and the famous
learned how to showvase a steak knife
fun workplace but could be physically demanding
Busser (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON22 January 2015
- serving catered events or in the restaurant-style Grill Room
- Most enjoyable part of the job was being able to execute an excellent event and receiving great feedback from members
- hardest part of job was physical demands; often working in warm conditions, or standing for long periods of time, or setting up buffets
- Staff was very positive, worked well as team, supportive and helpful
Cons
hours not as flexible
Mixed Feelings
Waitress (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON29 August 2014
I have several mixed feelings about my job here. What I didn't like is that certain managers could be bullies. They would make you work long hours 12+ hours, then make you feel guilty about wanting to leave. Plus these managers would eat, but you'd get nothing even though you worked a longer day then them. Breaks are non existent, and if you do get one, you have to sit alone. There is also no tipping there. Where it really shines is a few of the staff. The banquet manager is amazing, she is super nice. You will love her. The lady who does my schedule always tries hard to accomodate. The head bartender is someone you should seek out. Probably the most intelligent and coolest person I met, you will learn and be entertained from him, lots of good life advice. All the servers and bartenders are friendly and fun to be honest.The kitchen saw a lot of changes and sometimes could be difficult. The club itself needs to iron out some stuff, especially the fake promises they make. Sometimes you'd be really busy, but ignored or in over your head. As I see it, a good spot to work for one summer, then get out to a real eatery and make tips.
Pros
Some amazing staff, and one or two managers who care, paid on time
Cons
no breaks, no staff meals, long hours, confusing
Excellent place under new management for learning
waitress (Current Employee) –  Ancaster23 June 2014
For a person like me with no experience in the catering industry and getting a position as runner and then waitress.

I'm learning so much about Food and wine and spirit from the management. Within 4 weeks I became a waitress, learn about their Jonas system.

When it comes to salary and working just for the summer (I'm a student) you've got to prove yourself worth it.I got a raise within 6 weeks.

Working week-end is a minus but it's part of the perks in the catering industry.
Pros
learning new skills, Bonus scheme
Cons
private club, working night.
Decent working environment, but unreliable to make a living
Kitchen Staff (Current Employee) –  Hamilton, ON30 May 2014
The Hamilton Golf and Country Club is a nice location to work, but only for a short time. There is a good balance between work and personal life, and that means that if needed you can take time off is needed very easily.

However, the wages are low, and there is little to no chance of either a raise nor advancing farther into better positions. The job security is terrible, as it is common to be replaced after taking a short time off, and upon return to work one needs to fight for shifts.

Hopefully with the recant change in management things will improve, but until then I would not recommend working here due to the extreme lack of job security.
Pros
Free meals, free golf
Cons
Low wages, awful job security, late nights
A dynamic and enjoyable workplace with lots of friendly people
Clubhouse Employee (Former Employee) –  Ancaster, ON7 March 2014
- A typical day at work consisted of serving many members drinks throughout the day as well as opening and closing cash procedures.
- I learned how to complete a task under pressure through serving members during rush hours.
- Management was productive and well organized.
- My co-workers were hard-working individuals who I got along with very well
- The hardest part of the job was replenishing items in the store during busy hours.
-The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people, whether it was a new co-worker or a member of the club.
Pros
Free meals
Cons
Limited coworkers during busy hours