HALTON DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

HALTON DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada49 reviews
Educational Assistant is a job for compassionate people
Amazing place to work, the people are awesome, and so are the students. The pay is good for the work done, I loved going on field trips, traveling on the bust, going for nature walks, working on math and formulating new techniques to teach a student, I also loved the structure of educational content being delivered, overall it was a very positive experience.
Day in the Life
Responsible for daily cleaning of 10-15 classrooms, 5 separate bathrooms, 2 water fountains, and 4 resource rooms. Also expected to sweep and wash hallway floors nightly.
Busy but fun place to work
The school I work at is very busy. There is almost 700 students with 1.5 permanent secretaries. I have to be able to handle the constant interruptions throughout the day and still maintain a friendly and welcoming atmosphere for the students, staff, parents and visitors that come into the Office, as well as complete the responsibilities of my position. It is a very busy role, but I enjoy it very much.
Fun and Rewarding summer experience
I worked here during the summer school math camp program, at an elementary school in Milton. All staff and students were very kind and well mannered, despite spending their vacation in summer school. The teacher I was working with in a grade 6 class was very welcoming and even let me teach some lessons. It was very rewarding and heartwarming at the end of the day knowing that I personally helped some struggling students with the curriculum.
Low pay.
Have been an EA with this specific board for 3 years. The pay is unbelievably low for todays economy living standards. I believe we are one of the lowest paid full time EAs in the province.
Would recommend looking at other boards.
A great job
It is a great place to work however it would be nice for us to be paid 12
months Instead of 10 so we dont have to stress out about finding a summer job and do not have apply for unemployment insurance.
No benefits for supply
Supply teachers don’t get any benefits or raise Their pay is also not so welcoming as compared to the work they do Other than that it’s a culture friendly environment and follow give respect get respect rule
A great place
I´ve been with the school board for 5 years supplying. Supportive and full filling. Most Kindergarten teams are flexible and welcoming to new staff. Classes are easy to adjust to, most ECEs provide supply notes.
Do these reviews help you learn more about working at HALTON DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD?
Working with students from k-12, each day is different from the school to the classroom you will be working in. Makes for endless learning experiences
Great people who value your input.

Amazing students from k-12, plus the CPP classrooms.

Each day is different from the school to the classroom you will be in for the day.
Tough System These Days
I wish I could say my return to teaching after 25 years was amazing, but honestly, it was horrifying to realize where we are at. This isn't necessarily an indictment of Halton Region -- lots of good ppl and good intentions but things are so bad that teachers have no respect or authority. They are now at the bottom and it's so sad.
Great benefits
Co-workers are great. Building is old though so possible relocation in the future out to Milton area. Currently the location is close to all amenities.
Challenging but rewarding place to work
Loved working for the Halton District school board. Loved my role as an educational assistant. Enjoyed working with families and teachers and learning new skills to help me in my field of work.
Great organization to work with.
Halton District School Board is a great educational organization to work with. HDSB fosters a positive, supportive and collaborative work environment.
Worth the drive
Team oriented and motivationally supportive. Family oriented and caring.
Goal achievement recognition and advancement encouragement. Time sensitive responsibilities that offer regular challenges and relationship diversity.
Great working environment
Start the day off with my co-workers or working teacher partners
Go throughout my daily schedule and must always be flexible and expect change due to staff being away or supplies.
Awesome inclusive place to work
Excellent training, top notch benifits and pension plan. I wish i never left. I spent 8 years between 2 schools and both were wonderful. CUPE staff and every other union group treated me with respect.
Pros
Great fair wages
Cons
Some conflicting personalities amongst staff
Great Environment & Close to Home
I enjoy working at the Halton District School Board. Every day is a bit different then the next even though the duties of the job are the same.

I like that it is sometimes fast paced & other days are busy just working on one task. Either way, there is always more than enough work to do (which I like because I like being busy).

The environment is very casual & easy going. That's not to say we don't work hard, but the atmosphere is relaxed. All the departments work together so everyone gets along with everyone else.

I personally love working at the Board Office because it is close to home & I can even come home for lunch & never have to worry about rush hour traffic.

The position I hold is an Accounting Clerk / Project Co-coordinator. This is a very fast paced position & you have to be able to multi-task under very little supervision. I have to make sure each clerk has enough work to get them through each day & because we currently have 5 AP clerks, & only 1 of me it can make for some very hectic days some days. But for me, I wouldn't want it any other way.

I love fast paced, multi tasking, organizing, filing etc.
Pros
Great Benefits
Cons
Low wages
Good environment
Good environment to work in on a day to day basis. Can be a hectic schedule at times, every day there is aways something different so your never bored of your job.
Music Teacher
My day started around 8 am Students arrived at 8:40 I delivered an instrumental music program to 5 to 6 classes each days, Students learned to read music and play various wind instruments.
Pros
making a difference in a child's life
Hard work for no recognition
A good job for those with no skills. Pay is good. Management is generally reasonable. Little to no chance of upward movement unless you know someone in the hiring process.
Pros
Consistent hours
Cons
Dirty job
Great Learning Experience
Halton District Schools are a great place to work they have an inclusive work environment beneficial to staff and students. The hiring process could be a bit more professional when it comes to hiring student supervisors not much prep or training is given