HALTON CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD

HALTON CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Canada26 reviews
HCDSB has provided many opportunities for professional development. I have grown as an educator in my time here. The hardest part of the job are dealing with challenging behaviours in the students with work with, but when you see them meet their goals and succeed it makes it all worth it.
I enjoy working as part of a multidisciplinary team to help students and families problem solve and help support students through challenging times
Mental , social and academic support
Pros
Straight days weekends and summers and holidays off
Cons
Vacation times expensive
Was attacked by a student which lead to me leaving the job

The incident was reported to management who never once tried to contact me

They were not providing the right staff to student ratio, which resulted in a very bad physical attack on myself
Developed fun and engaging lesson plans and maintained a safe, inclusive and supportive learning environment. Assisted students with class assignments and planned weekly lessons. Resolved parents’ objections and concerns. Used technology whenever necessary to improve students learning process.
Even with 279, there are still a lot of people related to senior admin working here. It's still a place that you need to know someone to work here. Senior admin don't lead, they react.
Great place to gain first-hand experience, especially for students looking for an internship or part-time job. Would highly recommend to anyone looking for employment
Good team work and safe.Amazing Manager and was able to have a good work life balance.
i learned more on different accounting software,which added to my previous knowledge
rewarding entry level position that develops lasting skills to advance within the education field. Supply work is consistent and the Halton community is friendly to those entering the field.
love working here, great students and staff. A great environment to put theory to practice! They offer fun and interactive workshops on PA days and make you feel welcome.
An atmosphere where sometimes values and opinions are not taken into consideration or even heard. The joy of seeing accomplishments and the pride that students take in those are rewarding.
Wonderful place to work. its a very welcoming environment, most staff support one another. The management is unbiased. Unfortunately support staff is considered working poor.
Cons
pay
Best organization. Location of schools is the best - the cities are close enough to one another that applying for a transfer isn't that big of a deal when it comes to commuting.
Salary is awesome. Principals are supportive. Communities and demographics of schools are respectable and don't vary too much (social-economic)

A real sense of community among staff
Working with individuals with special needs is rewarding but there is no room for advancement or pay increase. Great hours, benefits and co-workers. You are transferred to new schools based on needs.
Pros
Summers off, March Break and Christmas Break
Cons
No advancement opportunities
Too many show horses and not enough work horses. I did not feel valued or appreciated in the time that I worked there. Management seemed dazzled by the show horses and ignored me, the work horse. The salary increases of 1% did nothing to my morale or bank account. I would not recommend this Board is you want to progress in your career but if you are a lifer waiting on a pension then this is the place for you.
Pros
Benefits were ok, LTD is too expensive
Cons
Small department, older staff, very slow moving department, dull work masquerading as real work, conservative culture
Working with the students was great, but there was often mis-communication between various levels of management (Principals, Chief Social Worker). There was a culture where people would go over your head to complain about work performance but wouldn't communicate it directly to you.
Fun and exciting workplace for those who enjoy working in a fast paced environment with an excellent team of people. I enjoyed my employment with them.
My duties were varied between looking after the students, parent community, principal and vice-principal and visitors in and out of the school office.
Pros
The kindness in the community, the appreciation shown for my "being there"
Cons
Sometimes having the feeling of being pulled in many directions
Typical day involved coming in, greeting children, teaching class, and guiding children to their parents at the end of the day.
Management does a good job at interacting with employees and getting to know them.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Low hours
I was so happy this was my first teaching position. The management and support staff go above and beyond to ensure that you are well taken care of and that you can accomplish all your goals.
HR and staff are great. Only issue is it takes time to obtain a permanent position. All schools are great to work at and the admin is very helpful. A great place of work.
A typical day at work is fast paced, can change on a dime according to needs. As an employee you have to be alert and ready to act in order to keep your student safe from themselves and others safe. The most enjoyable part of the job is my student learning something new or having a successful day without behaviours dictating our day.
Pros
summers off
Cons
can be exhausting