HALTON CATHOLIC DISTRICT SCHOOL BOARD Employee Reviews

Just another job
Admin (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 December 2017
Too many show horses and not enough work horses. I did not feel valued or appreciated in the time that I worked there. Management seemed dazzled by the show horses and ignored me, the work horse. The salary increases of 1% did nothing to my morale or bank account. I would not recommend this Board is you want to progress in your career but if you are a lifer waiting on a pension then this is the place for you.
Pros
Benefits were ok, LTD is too expensive
Cons
Small department, older staff, very slow moving department, dull work masquerading as real work, conservative culture
Good despite poor management
Social Worker (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 July 2017
Working with the students was great, but there was often mis-communication between various levels of management (Principals, Chief Social Worker). There was a culture where people would go over your head to complain about work performance but wouldn't communicate it directly to you.
Opportunity for growth
Office Assistant (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON25 June 2017
Fun and exciting workplace for those who enjoy working in a fast paced environment with an excellent team of people. I enjoyed my employment with them.
An interesting variety of duties in a day
Head Secretary-Elementary School (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON4 April 2017
My duties were varied between looking after the students, parent community, principal and vice-principal and visitors in and out of the school office.
Pros
The kindness in the community, the appreciation shown for my "being there"
Cons
Sometimes having the feeling of being pulled in many directions
Productive Learning Environment
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON20 March 2017
Typical day involved coming in, greeting children, teaching class, and guiding children to their parents at the end of the day.
Management does a good job at interacting with employees and getting to know them.
Pros
Good environment
Cons
Low hours
Amazing staff and student support
Contract Instructor, Part-time Instructor (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON27 February 2017
I was so happy this was my first teaching position. The management and support staff go above and beyond to ensure that you are well taken care of and that you can accomplish all your goals.
Great Place
Occasional Teacher (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON31 August 2016
HR and staff are great. Only issue is it takes time to obtain a permanent position. All schools are great to work at and the admin is very helpful. A great place of work.
worthwhile work, requires alot of flexibility and attention
Educational Assistant (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON29 May 2016
A typical day at work is fast paced, can change on a dime according to needs. As an employee you have to be alert and ready to act in order to keep your student safe from themselves and others safe. The most enjoyable part of the job is my student learning something new or having a successful day without behaviours dictating our day.
Pros
summers off
Cons
can be exhausting
Well maintained school board
High School Teacher (Former Employee) –  Oakville, ON25 May 2015
Worked 7:45a.m. - 4p.m. Monday to Friday
Computer skills enhanced my daily teaching
Worked with a friendly Principal and staff and students
Constant interruptions but great because it was not routine
Daily uniform checks were quite annoying
Working with kids daily
Pros
Strong sense of community
Hcdsb
Permanent Early Childhood Educator (Current Employee) –  Milton, ON16 September 2014
I teach kindergarten along with a teaching partner. We work as a team to extend the students learning through play and through their interests.
Awesome job
Administrative Assistant to the Principal (Former Employee) –  Oakville, Ontario9 September 2014
I was a Principal's Secretary for over 26 years....was offered a retirement package that I accepted due to the fact that we are now living in Brantford and my position was being relocated to Milton
Pros
So many...don't know where to begin
Cons
Long drive to work
Our program focuses on academic upgrading and literacy and basic skills to adult students with special needs.
Heritage Language Site Supervisor (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON27 May 2014
My current job at the HCDSB is amazing. I have learned that my students are not disabled but are differently abled. My co-workers are amazing and I look forward to returning to work with each come end of September.
Working with staff, parents and students in a busy, productive atmosphere
Elementary School Head Secretary (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON12 July 2013
Worked 8-4 Monday to Friday
Computer skills enhanced my daily office functions
Worked with Principal and staff and students
Constant interruptions but great because it was not routine
Working with kids daily
Pros
Non routine day, always something different, I became a better person because I became more organized and compassionate.
Cons
No Cons