HALLCON
Here to help
Coronavirus update
Information from HALLCON:

HALLCON Employee Reviews for Driver

If you want a job that pays very little, and has unpredictable hours each week, as well as, driving in all types of weather with a crew of passengers that are disrespectful most times, then this job is for you !
Pros
If you enjoy driving, then this job will provide a lot of it
Cons
Low pay, on call, unpredictable hours. No benefits and useless union
Official response from HALLCON
9 September 2020
Our rate of pay is above minimum wage. Upon hire it is explained that the job is on call based on the driver making themselves available on the system.
Very poor pay for hours and responsibility. Local supervisor ok. No schedule. Purely on call. Long hours in often poor conditions in remote locations.
Official response from HALLCON
9 September 2020
Hallcon rates are way above the minimum wage rate. Upon hire all new Drivers are educated on the responsibilities and expectations of providing transportation for our client. Also explained before hire is the fact that there are no set hours and that it is the drivers responsibility to let us know when they are available on the board system. Yes some of our client locations are remote.
Good part time job horrible full time work. Lots of time spent on call waiting for work. highway drive in any and all conditions. Vehicle provided for you to drive.
Got hired at Hallcon, a week went by and never heard from them until I called them. Finally he picked me up for a 4 hour training shift which I was promised I was going to get paid. Picked up a minivan with 400000km on it and the seats were not properly bolted to the floor, the tires were bald and the windshield was so cracked it looked like a deer probably smashed through it. Drove it around for 4 hours looking at numerous CN bunk houses. Once the day was done, I was told I would start next weekend. The weekend came and went and I even turned down a 2nd job I was supposed to start on the week thinking I would be working with these guys. They never called so I called them on Monday and was told I would start next Friday. Never heard from them and could not get a hold of them. I called dispatch and was told they don't even have a supervisor in my area. A week later my so called hiring manager called me and asked if I was still interested. I said I was but I was hoping to have started 2 weeks ago. They said they would call me in 2 days and never heard from them again. And never got paid for my training either. Not only lost a 2nd part time job because of these guys but never started with Hallcon in the first place and lost 3 weeks of my life with no pay because of it. This company will lie to you and you will probably get into a severe accident from the most unsafe vans on planet.
this is the worst place ever to work, constant threats from management, flagrant abuse of highway traffic rules, total disregard of employee well beings not go to work here, total waste of your time
If you're a young person looking for a career this is not the job for you as you will not make anything more than minimum wage and management will keep it that way by coming up with another clawback or two to reduce the amount of money that you will make ... you go on a rotating board and wait your turn to be called which means that you were on call and can be for quite some time good luck getting sleep as they may call you at 2 o'clock in the morning or 2 o'clock in the afternoon when you're busy with your children or other work , you pretty much have to devote all your time to this job with very few if any benefits and minimum wage rate of pay ...senior staff know the routine and they get a lot of the good trips
Pros
Work the hours you choose but you're on call and may never get a call
Cons
Minimum wage pay and a very poor management group
was able to see new places daily, good people to work with, though you drove in ALL weather conditions, lo in remote areas of northern Ontario, over all , good work enviroment
Pros
lodgein allowances, meals paid
Cons
drove in all weather conditions
12 hour scheduled shifts in the yard or on call for road trips which can be long too. When on call you never know when your going to work. Once off rest you might get a trip right away or you might have to wait 5 or 6 hours. Some very long days with some so busy you hardly have time to go to the bathroom or have lunch. Was enjoyable working with most of the people.
Pros
Most people good to work with
Cons
Too long of days
You are on call for a 12 hour shift but may only get a 3 hour piece of work. You get paid for the hour and minutes you work. Expect to work over your shift especially if you want 8 hours pay. Rotating drivers, when your piece is done you go to the bottom of the list and hope enough work comes in for you to get another piece. Sometimes your call could comes in at 400 AM or you have to wait till 400 PM, so you hang around home till the phone call comes in.. Trying to call dispatch, in Kansas, can take up to 1 hour so should a fast answer be needed, good luck.
Pros
Good stories from the conductor or engineer
Cons
Hard to get good hours
Sometimes it's extremely slow and u cant make any money, other times it's extremely busy and they will call u while u r booked off. Management, supervisors and dispatchers are hilariously inept. They will get angry and threaten to fire u the moment someone complains about u. Theres a revolving door of employees and it seems like management prefers it that way. The work isn't too bad if road conditions are safe. Most of the train crews u work with are cool but you'll regularly have to deal with being treated like scum.
Pros
Independence
Cons
Unpredictability and mistreatment
I enjoyed the travel and felt like a team player. It was a different call each time we were dispatched to aid rail crews to and from locations.
Pros
Scenery
Cons
Long hours waiting
Well-trained employees know how to use the system so they're not booked out when fatigued. Management understands work-life balance, you can literally set your own hours within reason. Rail crews are good to work with and Incentives for safe driving are available. I've been with them for 10 weeks and can honestly say I haven't had one negative experience.
Pros
You can literally "set your own hours" using a web-based tool.
Cons
On-call work with unpredictable hours.
This was a lousy job from the start. The wages aren't great and never get any better. Calls come in day or night and, while you're supposed to get two hours notice, many are ASAP. Dispatch doesn't keep track of your hours and sends you out fatigued. While some of the guys working for CN were ok, I found most to be entitled jerks who whine and complain constantly. If you did turn down a trip, they threatened to write you up. Lots of easier ways to earn this kind of money, keep looking.
Pros
None that I can think of.
Cons
Ridiculous hours, low pay, no benefits, demanding management, disorganized dispatch, miserable clientele.
Do you want to work 24/7 on call as a spare driver? Even when your booked off they call all hours, and if your to tired to drive, well to bad! They would rather you drive unsafe, and if you refuse then you will be written up. Dispatch is disrespectful, unprofessional, and disorganized. They called up to 12 times while I was driving, 3 calls were for another driver in another vehicle, the other calls were for ETA, different dispatchers calling for the same information. They don't care how much they distract you while driving, and expect drivers to do all the thinking for them. If you say your in Didsbiry they should be figuring out the ETA, instead of distracting the driver. Dispatch is not only disorganized, but downright rude when you tell them your not sure of estimated time of arrival, they will repeatedly ask again. They can't even pull out google maps to help the drivers. We have to pull out our phones, pull over and figure it out for them wasting our time and adding to the delay. To this date, only one dispatcher has helped me as a new driver. Like I said dispatch is disrespectful, unprofessional, and disorganized. like i said, if you want to work as a road driver, the pay is horrible, you can be on call 13 hours before getting a shift, and be expected to work through the night for 10 hours. To get 8 hours of work with short tips, and time waiting in between trips could be up to 15 hours. The on call work, means that it's next to impossible to have a life, as you can wait 13 hours, and when they do call you must be absolutely ready for work. If your - more...
Pros
Cons
Sign your life to the Devil
Great group hours are long different parts great co-workers the long hours meeting different people
Pros
Missed meal times
Cons
I did enjoy working for Hallcon until pays got screwed up quite often overtime pay I still never got that, I quit the job and its been two months and still never got vacation pay, that the only downfall you will get paid but never the proper amt, and any overtime you do and you will be expected to do it, have fun trying to get paid for that.
Pros
CN crews very friendly
Cons
Long Hours, overtime is expected.
Working with Hallcon Crew Transport consisted of transporting crews between stations, hotels and trains in various locations. Trips were sometimes from Medicine Hat to Calgary, Lethbridge, Moose Jaw, Swift Current, Brooks or local areas such as Dunmore, Bowell, Bow Island or even just within the city of Medicine Hat. When transporting the crews, the crew may ask you to stay and assist them while piecing a train together, which means I would transport the conducter around various area's. The hardest part of the job is receiving calls at any possible hour and being required to accept trip whether tired or not. Also by making yourself available on the driver board, you are not guarenteed many trips or a trip for several hours, as drivers go on a rotation and you start your shift on the bottom of the rotation. The most enjoyable part of the job is conversing with the CP Rail Crew members, and the Hallcon dispatch team.
Pros
You can make lot's of money if you are willing to drive 12 hours on each rotation.
Cons
scattered and sometimes long hours
I enjoy working for Hallcon. They have helped me and my family out. They offered me a transfer from Ab to BC from a part time job to a full time position because as a spare driver I was willing to do weekend transfers to areas that needed temporary help. When I left it was not due to the job but because the area I was living in was to expensive. When I contacted them later they took me back with open arms.