HALLCON
Information from HALLCON:

HALLCON Employee Reviews

Canada70 reviews
Poor pay
Very poor pay for hours and responsibility. Local supervisor ok. No schedule. Purely on call. Long hours in often poor conditions in remote locations.
Management tells you what they think you want to hear
Little to no training. Expected to take anything and everything. If you refuse a trip for a legitimate reason you get punished with no trips and get placed on bottom of board. Company supplied nothing as to bennifits no overtime no nothing just jump and run for just above minimum wages. Upper management avoids talking to drivers . No safety culture. Log books as to hours of service are not used or checked.
You are expected to show up
You are expected to show up no matter the weather or your safety. Doesn’t matter if you’re tired from driving you’re expected to finish your shift. And you’ll be driving at night, in very poor visibility and bad roads at times.
Great place to work, just do your job
Like any job, you need to show up on time, work hard, and pay attention. The vehicles are well taken care of, and the cleaning process is pretty straightforward. It can be a bit cumbersome walking out to a train when its raining, but, its not that big of a deal. its not an EASY job, but, the hours go by quick. Great people to work for
Pros
Hard work followed by slower time
Cons
late, LATE hours
Horrible.
Got fired 2 days before Christmas. No explanation was provided. Luckily, I was already in the process of finding better employment.

Warning to all:

You will have to clean puke, humanely fluids and dirty syringes. Luckily, I avoided being poked but I can't say the same for my prior colleagues. It's a terrible job for min wage pay.
It sucked.
I've worked for hallcon on and off for 13 years when I got hired it was great everybody new everyone, communication was great information was accurate but gradually every year things got worse. Your no longer known or addressed by your name, you are driver whatever your number was. It really was a bad, don't do it.
its okay
pay is alright for the work, very hard on the body. labor intensive in the winter especially difficult, easier during the rest of the year but the pay is the same.
Good part time job horrible full time work
Good part time job horrible full time work. Lots of time spent on call waiting for work. highway drive in any and all conditions. Vehicle provided for you to drive.
Please don’t work here
Take my advice and don’t work here. The culture is terrible. Hourlies have to run and scramble for very low pay. The company is hiring daily because 80% quit in there first week. Managers are mislead. Promised company vehicles, laptops, expense cards and flexible hours only to be provided with none of it. You will hate your life if you work here. Hourlies are better off working in a fast food joint. Managers should avoid this career killing, Mickey Mouse company like the plague. It’s run by a few self entitled cowards.
If you have a mortgage to pay or car you will lose everything working here!! 0 stars!!
Got hired at Hallcon, a week went by and never heard from them until I called them. Finally he picked me up for a 4 hour training shift which I was promised I was going to get paid. Picked up a minivan with 400000km on it and the seats were not properly bolted to the floor, the tires were bald and the windshield was so cracked it looked like a deer probably smashed through it. Drove it around for 4 hours looking at numerous CN bunk houses. Once the day was done, I was told I would start next weekend. The weekend came and went and I even turned down a 2nd job I was supposed to start on the week thinking I would be working with these guys. They never called so I called them on Monday and was told I would start next Friday. Never heard from them and could not get a hold of them. I called dispatch and was told they don't even have a supervisor in my area. A week later my so called hiring manager called me and asked if I was still interested. I said I was but I was hoping to have started 2 weeks ago. They said they would call me in 2 days and never heard from them again. And never got paid for my training either. Not only lost a 2nd part time job because of these guys but never started with Hallcon in the first place and lost 3 weeks of my life with no pay because of it. This company will lie to you and you will probably get into a severe accident from the most unsafe vans on planet.
Long hrs no benefits hard at times too make a proper income
Wait time for trips far too long should be paid for availibity at least called out on short notices no coffee break or lunch breaks have too be available for 13 to 16 hrs. Not very safe if u ask me great job for a senior that has pensions coming in NO BENEFITS AT ALL hopefully management will change things around many disgruntled crews too many drivers at tims we are unionized but no union rep if u like driving it can be a alright job for part time
Pros
Your the boss out on the road
Cons
Long hrs crew sometimes dont talk too u feel like your a nobody
Hallcon is a productive, well organized company.
Hallcon is a great place to work, It's a calm and stress free environment. Benefits are reasonable. Support system is second to none. Friendly space.
Pros
Easy going, down to earth culture, stress free, salary is great, safety is paramount.
Cons
Find another job, don't work for Hallcon
There isn't many good things I can say about my position at Hallcon as a yard driver/road driver. We get paid less than what other driving/taxi companies pay. Yard jobs are okay if you can hold one with your seniority. If you apply for a position posted as a yard job, make sure to inquire if it's temporary or not, they won't tell you upfront. If it is temporary, when the person you're replacing comes back you will be bumped onto road jobs. Worst job ever! The vans they use to transport the train crews are falling apart and constantly need repairs that the company seldom wants to fix. Driving 10+ hours in a day, in a van that is going to fall apart, no AC and it's 80+F outside...it's not right for us as the driver or the train crews we transport. Definitely don't get paid enough for this. As a road driver you will be on a 'spareboad' where dispatcher will call the first person at the top of the list for a driving job. You're on call for them 24/7 and hallcon won't give you standby pay. Hallcon also won't give you notice for the calls to get ready. Most companies that have a spareboard will give 1 or 2 hour call. Not Hallcon, they expect you to be ready and go right when they call you. I can go on and on about the driving side of the company. I'm sure most people who work in the offices for Hallcon have great jobs, just not the road and yard drivers. We seem to get the short end of the stick when we are the people who keep the company running. Without drivers Hallcon wouldn't be able to transport train crews. Maybe they should start treating us better, but that will be the day.
Pros
Never get to see a boss because they live too far away to drive here
Cons
Long hours driving, fleet vehicles falling apart, on call 24/7 with no oncall pay, the list goes on and on
Good job to get on your feet or for a student
You basically clean go trains all day for 5 hours. The pay isn’t great considering the hours but you get good benefits and the management is great to work with and easy to get along with.
Pros
Benifits, healthy work atmosphere.
Cons
The job can get dirty at times.
cleaner
o Cleaning CP Rail car shop
o Sweeping and mopping floors

o Basic house cleaning ( wiping down furniture and counters)

o Restocking supplies and receiving orders
Too worried about insurance premiums going up
My supervisor was a liar. She told me to take a couple of days off to recover from my wrist injury. I gave her a doctor's note on my return. Hoping for modified duties. She then informed me that I was fired. Hallcon dismissed me one my ROE as "quit", I did not
The man who hired me was really nice, informative and professional.

Benefits were awesome, it included dental.

The hours were my fave, done in the afternoon and off on weekends.

The staff I worked with were friendly, knowledgeable and helpful.

They had lockers, changerooms and a lunch room.

Regular lunch break.

Lots if exercise

I do feel we didn't get paid enough for all the work we were doing in such a short amount of time.
Pros
Done early, no weekends, benefits
Cons
Too much expected for such little pay, don't get injured, they lied about "modified duties"
waste of your time
this is the worst place ever to work, constant threats from management, flagrant abuse of highway traffic rules, total disregard of employee well beings not go to work here, total waste of your time
Good place for retired people with lots of time on their hands to make hardly any money
If you're a young person looking for a career this is not the job for you as you will not make anything more than minimum wage and management will keep it that way by coming up with another clawback or two to reduce the amount of money that you will make ... you go on a rotating board and wait your turn to be called which means that you were on call and can be for quite some time good luck getting sleep as they may call you at 2 o'clock in the morning or 2 o'clock in the afternoon when you're busy with your children or other work , you pretty much have to devote all your time to this job with very few if any benefits and minimum wage rate of pay ...senior staff know the routine and they get a lot of the good trips
Pros
Work the hours you choose but you're on call and may never get a call
Cons
Minimum wage pay and a very poor management group
good experience daily
was able to see new places daily, good people to work with, though you drove in ALL weather conditions, lo in remote areas of northern Ontario, over all , good work enviroment
Pros
lodgein allowances, meals paid
Cons
drove in all weather conditions
Driving crews around all day
12 hour scheduled shifts in the yard or on call for road trips which can be long too. When on call you never know when your going to work.
Once off rest you might get a trip right away or you might have to wait 5 or 6 hours. Some very long days with some so busy you hardly have time to go to the bathroom or have lunch. Was enjoyable working with most of the people.
Pros
Most people good to work with
Cons
Too long of days
I would sooner go on wellfare then work here again!
12 hrs of sitting in a van, putting up with stuck up Cranbrook Train crews who think they are god's gift to the world and you are the lowest form of life under their noses!!
Pros
limited exposure to CPR crews
Cons
11 hrs of sitting in the van unable to go anywhere, doing nothing!!