HALLCON

Areas for improvement
  • Support from manager
  • Time and location flexibility
  • Sense of belonging

Great pay, but bad management

This was a great place to work at the start, very supportive at the beginning to get you on your way. But for the most part, they just throw you in your first day with very little training (one or two days).- The management doesn't exist unless there’s a problem. The on-site supervisor(lead driver) hates his job in Melville, and only ever complains instead of encouraging you. If you like no supervision, this a great job; however, you also have very little support. - There is no team work at Hallcon - it’s everyone for themselves. Good luck getting a clean van - most of the drivers are pigs and don’t care about the cleanliness and many of the vans are not maintained. - No benefits at all. - Overall, I’d recommend this job to someone that is desperate and enjoys working alone and has a “me first” attitude.

Great training from competent drivers

Great communication with others while working. Follow up from trainer. No issues Yardmaster directs you to where you need to be. Rail staff are polite, informative to what their needs and wants

terrible place to work

Hallcon is not a place to work. The work is sporadic at best. You will not get full time hours no matter how much you put yourself available. If you have bills to pay or a mortgage, run. Run away as fast as you can. The union is a bunch of crooks taking 40% of the paycheck. You are required to pay two sets of union dues because of the two railroads involved.

Positive, respectful and supportive environment provided by management.Suggestions from all levels of employees solicited and appreciated.

Competent management who listens to, supports and respects their employees and colleagues.Suggestions from all levels of employees solicited and appreciated.

Insufficient Pay

The pay was insufficient, and the management didn't seem to care about that. They were too focused on making us work and earn profits via our hard work.

Pay is always delayed

The pay is always delayed. It's like the management is trying its best to make it as difficult as possible for the drivers to get their pay. This is on top of the fact that the pay is terribly low, to begin with. The compensations provided by the company is way too low compared to the long work hours and extra efforts that we are expected to give. Pros: Nothing really. There's nothing praiseworthy here.

Fun job

It was a great job, had a lot of fun. CP and CN train Crews I drove were great man/woman. Super friendly people. Good company to work for, my boss was nice man to work for.

Pros

Fun and friendly

Cons

On call

Extremely poor

Very poor management and job and employees poor attitudes and no common sense poor job training extremely unprofessional company not friendly or cooperative or fair to anyone on site

Cons

Only the mistakes were noticed

I wasn't only noticed when I made some mistakes but all my hard work and efforts were never recognized and appreciated. It was thankless job but we were always calculated because one wrong move and we'd be hearing something from the management.

Take the next bus

I would not suggest working here if you want to have a life and a good work environment with no stress. You will be overworked and underpaid and don't bother asking for more as they will not care. Management is unsupportive then they can bend some rules for you. Want a day off? You won't get it here. Sorry not sorry! You work when and where they say. DO NOT APPLY! You are wasting your time, and there better companies that treat their employees so much better out there.

Pros

Driving the bus is great, and you meet a lot of new people. Other than that, I don't have anything positive to say about the company.

Professional, friendly work environment.

Flexible hours, good management team, additional training available, regular updates, support available 24/7.. I have enjoyed my employment with Hallcon and plan to work with this company for many years to come.

Pros

Work vehicle provided

Cons

Some of the trips can be long.

They are planning to get rid of you before you make 6 months

The work is fine it's not the best not the worst but you cannot trust anyone around the workplace they will lie to you and promise you things they will never deliver on.

It's a struggle to get back up again

There's no job security here, once you get a bad rating, you won't get as much clients as you used to. Everything will decline from there and it would be struggle to get back up again.

Pros

You can manage your own time, accept and decline clients as you please.

Only work here if you have no family life and have a retirement pension coming in

This company expects their drivers to be on called 12 hours a day 4 or 5 days a week nights/days or weekends. NO MINIMUM pay for being on call or benefits. If you work 2 hours out or the 12 you make $40.18 less taxes and union dues and less what it cost you to get to location to pickup your van for each call out, for that day. ( can't support a family like that plus). Company says it's the nature of the job being on call but doesn't pay a MINIMUM or anything at all for sitting by the phone for 12 hours. Seems management is afraid to put in fixed schedules, so the senior drivers run rampant. Work when they think it will be busy and don't when it's not so new drivers get to sit and wait at home with no pay for the day if it's slow. The pay checks are hardly ever correct so your have to complain to get paid correctly. This would be a good job for someone with out a life or family and has a steady disability income or is retired with a pension otherwise you won't make enough to live here

Pros

Rail crews are great people.

Cons

Long standby hours on call for NO pay or benefits at all, No Overtime pay for road drivers unless you actually drive over 48 hours a week

Very bad workplace, a bad environment and tons of pressure.

I did work there for about 3 months and it was horrible!!The money that they pay for the work that a cleaner performs it's very low. I really don't recommend this job to nobody.

Rude people

My supervisor and the top management were rude people. They never appreciated my hard work honesty. Instead, they just kept pilling up more and more work for me. I felt unseen here.

Good place to work if you are responsible and Independent

Stable job, good for fast learners, responsible workers. Have to keep up with schedule and follow safety instructions. Job is physical, you need to be in good physical condition, be alert and aware of your surroundings.

Pros

stable, good pay

Cons

Far

Pay is way to low

Worked in Boston Bar for 2 months original terms and conditions of employment was Hallcon provided a work van to commute daily from Hope. Recieved email saying policy changed and I would be required to drive my own vehicle, 140km daily round trip. Low wages and different rates of pay for different locations for doing same job. If you want to work for a company that will try to pay you 83 cents an hour less than someone in another town doing the same job you deserve the low pay you recieve.

Pros

Seems nice at first

Cons

Low pay

Fun job

Pros

Fun and friendly

Cons

On call

Horrible work place

Unfair work load, supervisors are very lazy they don’t help out even when we are short staff. Management doesn’t care about staff they only care about money.

Pros

Short hours

Cons

Pay not enough

Over complicated

On paper, and for the rate if pay it seems like it should be fairly straightforward. Get in a van, and drive people from point A to B. This is really what it should be. It's not though.This is by far, one of the most overcomplicated jobs I have ever seen. I do more paperwork, and pointless busywork now than I did when I was a conductor at CP. There are forms to fill out, automated phone systems to navigate, then emails to send all for one pick up and drop off. On top of that you have to drive, navigate, take care of the van, and help out everywhere else. It is really unnecessarily complicated. The training is a joke. The trainer started out by saying he wants to quit then spends the day lecturing how to drive a van. I have been driving for 44 years without an accident, yet it seemed more important to drone on and on about stopping distances, and speed limits. It was insulting. Very little time was spent going over the paperwork, phone system, dispatch, or other duties. Everyone says its a great job for retirees to make a bit of money, but no one I have actually worked with enjoys the job.Its not worth the hassle.

Pros

None.

Cons

Over complicated, poor training

Ask a question about working or interviewing at HALLCON. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.2 out of 5 stars for Job security/advancement