HALLCON Employee Reviews

I would sooner go on wellfare then work here again!
crew driver (Former Employee) –  Sparwood, BC8 September 2018
12 hrs of sitting in a van, putting up with stuck up Cranbrook Train crews who think they are god's gift to the world and you are the lowest form of life under their noses!!
Pros
limited exposure to CPR crews
Cons
11 hrs of sitting in the van unable to go anywhere, doing nothing!!
Overall
Housekeeper/Laundry (Former Employee) –  British Columbia3 August 2018
I loved going to work here everyday, it never felt like work it felt like I was right at home. Great people to work with and fun which made the days and hours go bye quickly.
Pros
Friendly staff and workers
Cons
Managment
Employee lost foot
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON4 June 2018
An employee lost foot from a train crushing it. Think about that. A man lost his foot and lower portion of leg for a minimum wage job. Does that seem worth it to you?
Not a good place to work
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON1 June 2018
Benefits are minimal, no overtime, hardly any hours, very dirty work place. Supervisors have 0 expierence in the field. Very low pay rate for the amount of work you do there.
Much better jobs out there for same pay
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON30 May 2018
I found the lead hand girl to be very useless. She would always be sitting and smoking. Never there to ask questions to and never there to work. Leading by that example, each night was poorly organized. Each night was a heavy workload for some and not as much for others. There seems to be politics and that some people are treated fair and others aren’t. That’s the first thing I noticed and that is why I left. Not a good work environment. It’s a depressing job.
I did not like this job
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON29 May 2018
Job is repetitive and tedious, dirty. disgusting. Lots of walking. Its a labour intensive job in the garbage collection aspect. Bad for the back. Low pay, no overtime offered. driving between two sites each night. Nothing more than 37 hours a week. The weather in the winter make it dangerous walking to the areas as its not plowed consistently and a few workers have fallen. The only positive thing is there is only minimal supervision which was nice because you had the freedom of doing your work with no one watching you because the lead hand girl always sits outside and smokes and is never on the trains. Cleaning the washrooms or the vomit is pretty awful.
Pros
Min supervision
Cons
Dirty work, no overtime, low pay
I do not recommend this job.
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON26 May 2018
The work is very unsanitary. There is risk every night of being stabbed by a used syringe for drugs. The pay is very low and should be higher based on work conditions. It’s a boring, dirty job. I do not recommend. The job made me Nauseated. No overtime given. you have to commute between two locations and it eats up a lot of gas and we are not compensated for gas.
Pros
Nothings really
Cons
Too many to say
Stay away
Cleaner (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON14 May 2018
The worst job around. Very low pay for gross work. You will be cleaning puke, feces, picking up drug needles. Do yourself a favour and stay away. Not one good thing to say.
Very poor management
Crew Driver (Former Employee) –  Melville, SK27 April 2018
A typical day at work was sit on the board and wait for a call but with the way trips are lately you rarely sit very long.

What I learned more about trains than I knew before. From Hallcon I learned nothing unless you count how to be a good liar.

Management is horrible. Vans are very poorly maintained. They try and blame the driver for stuff they knew was wrong with the van before you drove it so if you do ever drive for them refuse to drive any van that is making any strange noise cause you will be blamed even if something happens after you report it.

Workplace culture? If you count that they like to try and turn drivers against each other as they love conflict long as it not with higher ups.

The job was never very hard as you just transport rail crews. The hardest part was dealing with management.

Most enjoyable part about the job was talking to engineers and conductors. The train stories were awesome.

My advice to anyone who wants to do a job like this go drive for a cab company that does Hallcon trips. The pay is better and you are treated better.

Like to add also this company has a union and its a joke. They take money from us hard working drivers and we got nothing to show for it
Pros
crews, highway travel
Cons
everything else
If you have no life or wife, great
Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver8 March 2018
You are on call for a 12 hour shift but may only get a 3 hour piece of work. You get paid for the hour and minutes you work. Expect to work over your shift especially if you want 8 hours pay. Rotating drivers,
when your piece is done you go to the bottom of the list and hope enough work comes in for you to get another piece. Sometimes your call could comes in at 400 AM or you have to wait till 400 PM, so you hang around home till the phone call comes in.. Trying to call dispatch, in Kansas, can take up to 1 hour so should a fast answer be needed, good luck.
Pros
Good stories from the conductor or engineer
Cons
Hard to get good hours
it was fun to work and great job
Cleaning (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 November 2017
we are team every day cleaning and we are happy be part of this company.we focus and we train about health and safety guide this company friendly management
Pay is good. But manegment is the worst.
Site Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Birchmount Park, ON25 October 2017
Operational manager and regional manager have little to no management experience. Work under fair of being fired. Company could do a lot better with staff. Treat driver like kings while looking down on others.
Pros
Pay is good
Cons
Managment believe in fear tactic
Very Fair Place To Work
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON1 August 2017
Company is very fair. Pay is good. Staff that write bad reviews have no good work etiquette and no respect for authority. If you treat your co-workers and management good - they treat you great in return....
Cons
Must be prepared to work night shift - not always easy - but you get used to
If you dont care about manager treating you unfairly this is the job for you
Cleaner (Current Employee) –  York, ON31 May 2017
Most unprofessional manager that doesn't know how to run a workplace. Even the fact that his still a manager is a mystery. He always threatens workers to quit whenever he doesn't get his way and always asks for favors but never returns the favor. Treating certain workers better than the rest. Always harasses you while your doing your job. The only thing this manager still has his position is that employees are scared to loss their jobs. You'll have no right to say no to whatever he asks from you. Always short on employees whenever an employee calls in sick he pressures you to work faster and when you miss something in the bus he won't even bother to acknowledge the fact that he was down workers and forced you to rush. No he'll either have a meeting complaining about buses not being cleaned properly or he'll call you in the office about you needing to focus at work. Him and few of his "close" employee will deny the fact but you'll find out over the time he discriminate workers, force some workers to work hard while other workers are sitting around or play hide and seek somewhere. This job is easy if it weren't for the current management.
Pros
Some good workers and good pay
Cons
Worsed management
horrible boss and all you can eat blame
Cleaner/Maintenance (Current Employee) –  Vaudreuil-Dorion, QC3 April 2017
working there use to be fun , management would come every few months and bug everyone then left . but since new management we have been harassed lied to and threatened at every turn , no one seems to know what they want and when they do its illogical at best bad employes get away whit doing little work and you get blamed for the drought in africa . cant wait to find something else they treat employees like garbage
Pros
all you can eat blame
Cons
bd bosses lots of blame
Maintenance Worker (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON28 February 2017
Normal environment to work, good salary and nice people to deal with.Just need to change some methods that can help the workers have more safety and more time to do everything they ask to. Hours need to be more specific and more reasonable.
routine of job
Cleaner (Full time) (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON31 October 2016
the most difficult part is to work from 8pm to 4pm. The bus is not frequent at this time.
the co-workers are a good people to work. Always ready to help.
the manager is a serious person, and my relationship with him is extremely professional.
Satisfactory pay
Crew Transport Driver (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC6 October 2016
The pay was satisfactory at $15.00 an hour for a crew transport driver position. This position included 12 long hours with no benefits, and dealing with rough & difficult people with no Managers on site to protect your interests or safety. In addition it is considered a contract position and it poses risks of layoffs.
Pros
Pay was satisfactory
Cons
Long hours with rough & difficult crew
Fun workplace.
Train cleaner (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2016
Working with Hallcon has been the best experience I have encountered. I learned being productive at work is rewarding in many levels. All staff members have assisted with my training and my initiative to contribute to others made my days enjoyable at work. Thank you Hallcon organization for employing me!
productive and repetitive job with safety as a main concern
Janitor (Former Employee) –  Vauldreuil-Dorion10 October 2013
Typically each day I would go into work, prepare my supplies and head onto the first train to arrive. The Average clean was garbage pick, changing the garbage's, wiping all surfaces, washing windows, sweeping mopping and sometimes graffiti removing. Doing annual cleans were more intense where i'd have to get on my hands and knees and scrub every crack and crevasse. I learned how to operate as a team with my co-workers and that doing something right doesn't mean it'll be done the fastest. During the year i've been there, there have been three changes in management. All were great bosses, but i guess the first two bit off more then they could chew. My co-workers were generally really good, some better then others and the ones that weren't so good were out of the job after a certain amount of time. The hardest part of my job was the first two weeks, me and a co-worker had to clean "the pit" a job no one did or wanted to do for a year. The most enjoyable part of the job would be finding an object like a cell phone, turning it into the security guard and finding out that person received they're lost item.
Pros
nice balance between work and free time
Cons
awkward hours