HALLCON

HALLCON Employee Reviews

hard to earn a living - work not steady sometimes 2-3 days go by no work .. over hired crew shuttle drivers not enough work for all the drivers to earn a decent living - management want you to be available 7 days - 24 hours - you are on call as a driver and you can be called to come into work and pick up a crew anywhere from 30 minutes to 1 hour notice..
Pros
work outside driving long distance casual wear friendly train crew
Cons
24-7 work schedule if you want to earn a living too many drivers not enough work -old vans 400, 000 to 500, 000 kms
9 September 2020
Yes our business is a 24 hours 7 days a week business, in order to provide an efficient service to our Client. All our vans are strictly maintained and well looked after mechanically. Drivers know that they to place themselves available for shift or to sign off the system, unfortunately majority of drivers want a specific shift (day).
Unfair work load, supervisors are very lazy they don’t help out even when we are short staff. Management doesn’t care about staff they only care about money.
Pros
Short hours
Cons
Pay not enough
On paper, and for the rate if pay it seems like it should be fairly straightforward. Get in a van, and drive people from point A to B. This is really what it should be. It's not though.This is by far, one of the most overcomplicated jobs I have ever seen. I do more paperwork, and pointless busywork now than I did when I was a conductor at CP. There are forms to fill out, automated phone systems to navigate, then emails to send all for one pick up and drop off. On top of that you have to drive, navigate, take care of the van, and help out everywhere else. It is really unnecessarily complicated. The training is a joke. The trainer started out by saying he wants to quit then spends the day lecturing how to drive a van. I have been driving for 44 years without an accident, yet it seemed more important to drone on and on about stopping distances, and speed limits. It was insulting. Very little time was spent going over the paperwork, phone system, dispatch, or other duties. Everyone says its a great job for retirees to make a bit of money, but no one I have actually worked with enjoys the job.Its not worth the hassle.
Pros
None.
Cons
Over complicated, poor training
As a professional driver and with my railway on call experience I understand the culture and get along well with passengers and fellow employees alike.
Pros
Pay is adequate.
Cons
Phone occasionally rings at inappropriate times
The folks like myself most were, there were the few that cheap and just my problems, for hard working people. We all there for one or two things to do a good job and to work as a team. But you know how it goes dog eat dog. Peace
Pros
Nothing was free, a smile
Cons
12 hours shifts, and hard to get time off, when you did book off dispatch would and give you grief.
Long hours, demanding, no employee sympathy for when you are injured or sick! Horrible pay NO overtime although you work 96 hours every 4 days! Good thing I love driving other wise Id be gone love ago. As a road driver in my first 1.5 years it was very hit or miss. Some days are crazy busy others are completely dead! Don't let them fool you with all the hours you are promised!!! Also working through this pandemic, there was no extra pay for working through it!!
Pros
Ahhahaahhaha
Cons
No respect!
If you like being treated like you’re nothing but a slave, work here. Worst management ever!!!!You have to be friends with the manager and speak “their language” to get any type of advancement in this place.
Cons
JUST LIKE MOST COMPANIES HALLCON IS DESTROYING THEIR BREAD AND BUTTER. They just turn over people just as much as a gardener or farmer turns over their soil every year.
Cons
It was a Con a HallCon
People are very nice and charming. I love working there.we always helping each other. Kind people and advance. The work isnt that hard.but the pay and insurance isnt enough if you have a family. The hours are not enough too.if we start early like 9pm and finish before 7am it will be nice for woman who have kids
Pros
Working togetherness
Cons
Short hours wage or salary and no good benefits
If you want a job that pays very little, and has unpredictable hours each week, as well as, driving in all types of weather with a crew of passengers that are disrespectful most times, then this job is for you !
Pros
If you enjoy driving, then this job will provide a lot of it
Cons
Low pay, on call, unpredictable hours. No benefits and useless union
9 September 2020
Our rate of pay is above minimum wage. Upon hire it is explained that the job is on call based on the driver making themselves available on the system.
Little to no training. Expected to take anything and everything. If you refuse a trip for a legitimate reason you get punished with no trips and get placed on bottom of board. Company supplied nothing as to bennifits no overtime no nothing just jump and run for just above minimum wages. Upper management avoids talking to drivers . No safety culture. Log books as to hours of service are not used or checked.
9 September 2020
Hallcon provides extensive training (Safety) training to all new hires, this is a mandatory component of the job especially in the first 3 months. With regards to benefits Hallcon is willing and able to reimburse all drivers after 3 moths of employment with us for their upgraded driver's license. With regards to issues Hallcon has protocols in place whereby Supervisors are the first point of contact if the issue is not resolved with the supervisor, then Management gets involved.
Very poor pay for hours and responsibility. Local supervisor ok. No schedule. Purely on call. Long hours in often poor conditions in remote locations.
9 September 2020
Hallcon rates are way above the minimum wage rate. Upon hire all new Drivers are educated on the responsibilities and expectations of providing transportation for our client. Also explained before hire is the fact that there are no set hours and that it is the drivers responsibility to let us know when they are available on the board system. Yes some of our client locations are remote.
You are expected to show up no matter the weather or your safety. Doesn’t matter if you’re tired from driving you’re expected to finish your shift. And you’ll be driving at night, in very poor visibility and bad roads at times.
9 September 2020
Hallcon expects you to show up for work if the Driver has made themselves available for work on the board. If Drivers do not feel safe to drive on a particular day then they are to sign off on the board. If a driver feels unsafe while on shift, it is the driver's responsibility to inform dispatch of their concern as well as their supervisor.
Like any job, you need to show up on time, work hard, and pay attention. The vehicles are well taken care of, and the cleaning process is pretty straightforward. It can be a bit cumbersome walking out to a train when its raining, but, its not that big of a deal. its not an EASY job, but, the hours go by quick. Great people to work for
Pros
Hard work followed by slower time
Cons
late, LATE hours
9 September 2020
Thank you for your comment. Unfortunately, yes this is the case as we are a 24 hours 7 days a week business, we are expected to provide a service at all times.
Got fired 2 days before Christmas. No explanation was provided. Luckily, I was already in the process of finding better employment. Warning to all: You will have to clean puke, humanely fluids and dirty syringes. Luckily, I avoided being poked but I can't say the same for my prior colleagues. It's a terrible job for min wage pay.
9 September 2020
Hallcon provides a cleaning service to our clients, all employees are provided with PPE in order to perform their job safely and effectively.
I've worked for hallcon on and off for 13 years when I got hired it was great everybody new everyone, communication was great information was accurate but gradually every year things got worse. Your no longer known or addressed by your name, you are driver whatever your number was. It really was a bad, don't do it.
pay is alright for the work, very hard on the body. labor intensive in the winter especially difficult, easier during the rest of the year but the pay is the same.
Good part time job horrible full time work. Lots of time spent on call waiting for work. highway drive in any and all conditions. Vehicle provided for you to drive.
Take my advice and don’t work here. The culture is terrible. Hourlies have to run and scramble for very low pay. The company is hiring daily because 80% quit in there first week. Managers are mislead. Promised company vehicles, laptops, expense cards and flexible hours only to be provided with none of it. You will hate your life if you work here. Hourlies are better off working in a fast food joint. Managers should avoid this career killing, Mickey Mouse company like the plague. It’s run by a few self entitled cowards.
9 September 2020
Hallcon provides all the necessities in order for individuals to effectively complete their daily tasks.
Got hired at Hallcon, a week went by and never heard from them until I called them. Finally he picked me up for a 4 hour training shift which I was promised I was going to get paid. Picked up a minivan with 400000km on it and the seats were not properly bolted to the floor, the tires were bald and the windshield was so cracked it looked like a deer probably smashed through it. Drove it around for 4 hours looking at numerous CN bunk houses. Once the day was done, I was told I would start next weekend. The weekend came and went and I even turned down a 2nd job I was supposed to start on the week thinking I would be working with these guys. They never called so I called them on Monday and was told I would start next Friday. Never heard from them and could not get a hold of them. I called dispatch and was told they don't even have a supervisor in my area. A week later my so called hiring manager called me and asked if I was still interested. I said I was but I was hoping to have started 2 weeks ago. They said they would call me in 2 days and never heard from them again. And never got paid for my training either. Not only lost a 2nd part time job because of these guys but never started with Hallcon in the first place and lost 3 weeks of my life with no pay because of it. This company will lie to you and you will probably get into a severe accident from the most unsafe vans on planet.
Wait time for trips far too long should be paid for availibity at least called out on short notices no coffee break or lunch breaks have too be available for 13 to 16 hrs. Not very safe if u ask me great job for a senior that has pensions coming in NO BENEFITS AT ALL hopefully management will change things around many disgruntled crews too many drivers at tims we are unionized but no union rep if u like driving it can be a alright job for part time
Pros
Your the boss out on the road
Cons
Long hrs crew sometimes dont talk too u feel like your a nobody
  1. Employee reviews