Hall Constructors

• Feeling of personal appreciation
Areas for improvement
  • Sense of belonging
  • Supportive environment
  • General feeling of work happiness

Worst Civil Contractor on Vancouver Island

They bought a bunch of jobs for millions less than the competition and then tried to hire their way out of their problems. Superintendents have no experience, the PM's are useless and they expect the overpaid field staff to solve issues without support. They pay well but the operation is a gong show with no direction.

Pros

Good pay

Cons

Poorly managed

Productive and motivating team

Typical work day = what ever it takes to get your work completed.The project type & scope can vary significantly from one estimate to another. This keeps you on your toes and always learning.Management is involved with day-to-day planning and fosters individual and team growth.

Pros

The team

Everyone is a Forman in training and or was just hired as a Forman on their first job as a Forman

There is no communication thru the management as far as skill management they have labour workers running and damaging most of their machines that are all around 10000 hours and ready to sell.Was on a water main job with 7 guys all standing around it was a job I could have done with 3 guys. Not sure how this company is able to stay competitive.

Pros

Stand around all day doing nothing or not much

Cons

They don’t have any proper middle management, they need veteran Forman and they need a super with an engineer or red seal, or construction management degree which they don’t have it’s basically a school with no teachers

Terrible place to work

Just a number could have a job one day be laid off next. Poor run company with unqualified supervisors. Equipment was in good shape but took a lot of abuse from unqualified operators. I will never work for this company again,

Pros

Decant equipment

Cons

Everything else

Industry Leading Contractor

I have worked at Hall Constructors for over 7 years, and have spent significant time in both the Surrey and Kelowna offices. I started with Hall as a project coordinator on various sites, and have progressed to a role in estimating and project management.Hall is a company that sees the value in hiring hard working, motivated people and integrating them into a strong team environment. Management has committed to promoting career growth by providing on-the-job training (for office and field staff) and allowing their employees to take on additional responsibility as they gain experience. Due to diversification of the company, Hall has positioned itself to be extremely competitive as a general contractor throughout British Columbia and the wide array of projects we take on is very exciting. In addition, Hall is proactive in researching and implementing new technology to make our work in the field more efficient.

Pros

Challenging and rewarding work, growth opportunities

Cons

Commute may vary depending on the project site location

Productive & Fun Work place

Hall is a great place to work. You are treated like family. Hall has given me opportunities to not only grow personally, but also professionally. I am grateful to be a part of the Hall team. It is a fun, professional, energetic work environment with support from supervisors. I would highly recommend this company to anyone who wants to build a career in construction.

Positive Productive place to work

After many years 25+ in this business, I have finally found a home. The management is helpful and respectful. My co-workers are the best. I have worked for Hall now for over 2 years and cannot say enough good things. Every day is a new experience, comfortable and cooperative. Looking forward to many more years with Hall Constructors.

Pros

Too many to list

Cons

You would be crazy to work here .

Worst company ever. They treat the employees like the dirt they move and throw you in a hole when you require any support. If your not part of the inner group then your days are number. Nepotism is the word for this outfit.

Pros

Cons

bad outfit all around

British Columbia's Amazing General Contractor

Hall is nothing short of an amazing company to say the least! I currently work as a female Project Manager in a male dominated industry (Water and Sewer heavy civil construction) …. Hall is the first company who looked at my experience opposed to my gender. Hall realizes that talent comes from a person’s capabilities opposed to what their gender is; I can personally say that with many company’s gender is often chosen ahead of skills and abilities. Hall is a progressive, talent-based company whom does not follow gender guidelines to any sort of degree. Hall provides many opportunities to many people within their 6 lines of businesses’. Within the recent market and unsure times of today’s world- Hall has made me feel like I am extremely valuable to them and I will have a long and prosperous career with them. Management believes in empowering their staff to ensure that each individual employee is set up success from day 1 of employment. If you are in construction, Hall should be your first choice!

Pros

Training, Mentorship & Family Company Feel

Cons

No Con's they are the best!

Great company terrible management thats why there closing theyre doors and have no work

Vancouver based Hall constructors are a great company but kelowna division are terrible. Upper management is a clicky group so if your so and so's son you get a good job and all the qualified guys dont move up. Friends and business dont mix that's why they failed in kelowna

I have found Hall to be a great place to work. It is a family company and your are treated that way. They expect everyone to be at their best so you are always working with a qualified team. I have worked for a number of construction companies and Hall's respect for their employees with their safety culture is by far the best. I look forward to start work with them again this year.

Really nasty company with backstabbing Managers

Strongly recommend you dont ever work here. Managers are Nasty and full of themselves and offer no support. You will get laid off with out notice and there is no loyalty here. Supervisors are unskilled and have bad attitudes and lots of nepotism within the company.Save yourself the grief and avoid these characters.

Positive

The environment at Hall Constructors is very friendly and positive. I enjoy coming to work everyday to learn and help contribute to the company's success.

Never Work here if you respect yourself.

Unprofessional company with terrible Managers and zero loyalty. Trust all the reviews and steer clear of this Gong Show. Your just a number hear and unless your related to someone your not going anywhere. Way too much Nepotism.

Great place to work for!

This family-oriented company makes the work day go by quickly. This company is full of hard-working, respectful people who work as a team. There is support at all levels of the workforce and that makes me happy to come back every day!

Pros

Great pay and great culture. Lots of chances to move up.

Excellent Company to work for

This has been a great company to work for. There is plenty of opportunity to learn and work on diverse projects. Everyone here is motivated to do quality work and are highly ambitious to tackle various projects. They employ a lot of younger people and value professional growth. It's clear that if you work hard you will be rewarded.

Pros

Social Events, Great Atmosphere, Professional Growth

Work hard, play hard! My best job ever.

I have worked with Hall Constructors at their Surrey location as an estimator for over a year, and compared to my previous employers in the local civil construction industry, Hall is the most enjoyable to work for. Hall understands that employees need to have a work/life balance - meaning having a life outside of work and the time to pursue it. Work to live and not live to work is an ethos I hadn't encountered before I started at Hall. Management encourages professional growth. I have attended seminars on hard and soft skills, during regular work hours, paid for by Hall. I have had much more responsibility and trust bestowed on me than at my previous jobs. Hall understands that to grow and learn, one must take chances and be left to fend for themselves to some level. Whereas I felt at other companies like no one wanted me to make a mistake so they never let me do anything other than low-level basic tasks, my managers at Hall are happy to thrust me into the deep end, and I have learned much more in my 1 year here than many years at other companies. Hall hosts social events for their employees - anything from fun weekend training trips to Friday afternoon barbecues. The management at Hall seems to understand that if you work hard, you deserve to play hard as well. The pay is comparable to other companies in the industry, with my current pay being slightly higher than I was earning elsewhere. I feel like I am an appreciated asset at Hall, and not just one of many cogs in a wheel. You never can tell what the future will bring, but I imagine I will be happy to work -

Pros

Work-life balance, constant new challenges, understanding management, fun work atmosphere

Cons

My commute is further than I would like.

Hillbilly outfit with no tradesmen or certified supervisors

This company is filled with under qualified workers and management with no certifications or value of workers, would never work for them again nor would I recommend them to even my worst enemy, pay is terrible for lower mainland and can’t organize anything properly. QC and safety take a back burner to production

Worst Place I have worked in 14 years of civil construction

Management is brutal supervisors are the old boys club. Don't apply for them There are other contractors to work for these guys would be my last choice

Pros

Zero

Cons

To many

probably the worst company in Canada

People walk away from employment here. The company has a terrible Culture and the Managers are ruthless and without any loyalty at all. Kelowna is the worst division by far and they throw you to the wolves the minute you start and when you fail to pick up the pieces they skid you without even a seconds hesitation or conversation. Quality of work is so bad its legendary just read other reviews ( Glass Door ) from local residents. This company needs to clean house and find real Managers with people skills and talent instead of hiring family and buddies.

Pros

Nice Climate

Cons

too many to list here

Terrible company to work for

Highly recommend not applying to work for this company as they have zero loyalty will work you to death then toss you like a piece of trash. Worst company I have worked for in my 22 year carrier as an operator.

Pros

Cons

Zero loyalty, take advantage of employees

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hall Constructors. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.7