Hall Constructors Employee Reviews

Work hard, play hard! My best job ever.
Project Coordinator/Estimator (Current Employee) –  Surrey, BC6 June 2019
I have worked with Hall Constructors at their Surrey location as an estimator for over a year, and compared to my previous employers in the local civil construction industry, Hall is the most enjoyable to work for.

Hall understands that employees need to have a work/life balance - meaning having a life outside of work and the time to pursue it. Work to live and not live to work is an ethos I hadn't encountered before I started at Hall.

Management encourages professional growth. I have attended seminars on hard and soft skills, during regular work hours, paid for by Hall. I have had much more responsibility and trust bestowed on me than at my previous jobs. Hall understands that to grow and learn, one must take chances and be left to fend for themselves to some level. Whereas I felt at other companies like no one wanted me to make a mistake so they never let me do anything other than low-level basic tasks, my managers at Hall are happy to thrust me into the deep end, and I have learned much more in my 1 year here than many years at other companies.

Hall hosts social events for their employees - anything from fun weekend training trips to Friday afternoon barbecues. The management at Hall seems to understand that if you work hard, you deserve to play hard as well.

The pay is comparable to other companies in the industry, with my current pay being slightly higher than I was earning elsewhere.

I feel like I am an appreciated asset at Hall, and not just one of many cogs in a wheel. You never can tell what the future will bring, but I imagine I will be happy to work
  more... for Hall for years to come.

P.S. Some of the reviews talk about nepotism - although Hall is willing to hire relatives / associates of current employees, they in no way prioritize family or friends over anonymous competent individuals. If your skill set fits our need, Hall will be equally willing to hire anyone, regardless of gender, race, social background, past history, age, etc. It just so happens that sometimes family members have similar skill sets to each other, and can therefore be similarly qualified. For example, I studied civil engineering because of my interest in my uncle who studied civil engineering.
Pros
Work-life balance, constant new challenges, understanding management, fun work atmosphere
Cons
My commute is further than I would like.
Really lousy outfit with arrogant Managers
Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC15 February 2019
This place just sucks in every aspect and you don’t want to work there. In my opinion the GM in Kelowna is the most arrogant greasy person you will ever meet and the other managers are not much different. Very high turn over and no skill or experience to speak off . Trust the reviews you see .
Pros
Cons
The whole company
Hillbilly outfit with no tradesmen or certified supervisors
Superintendent (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 January 2019
This company is filled with under qualified workers and management with no certifications or value of workers, would never work for them again nor would I recommend them to even my worst enemy, pay is terrible for lower mainland and can’t organize anything properly. QC and safety take a back burner to production
Worst Place I have worked in 14 years of civil construction
Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 November 2018
Management is brutal supervisors are the old boys club. Don't apply for them There are other contractors to work for these guys would be my last choice
Pros
Zero
Cons
To many
probably the worst company in Canada
employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC14 October 2018
People walk away from employment here. The company has a terrible Culture and the Managers are ruthless and without any loyalty at all. Kelowna is the worst division by far and they throw you to the wolves the minute you start and when you fail to pick up the pieces they skid you without even a seconds hesitation or conversation. Quality of work is so bad its legendary just read other reviews ( Glass Door ) from local residents. This company needs to clean house and find real Managers with people skills and talent instead of hiring family and buddies.
Pros
Nice Climate
Cons
too many to list here
Terrible company to work for
Operator (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC2 October 2018
Highly recommend not applying to work for this company as they have zero loyalty will work you to death then toss you like a piece of trash. Worst company I have worked for in my 22 year carrier as an operator.
Pros
Cons
Zero loyalty, take advantage of employees
Family-like Company
Safety Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC12 September 2018
I have worked for Hall Constructors for 3+ years, I started with the company with no construction experience. Management likes to see their employees grow and provides opportunities and a safe workplace. I would say most of the workers consider one another friends or family, it is a pleasant place to work!
Pros
Opportunity to advance, competitive wages, safety
Cons
Seasonal work
What a terrible place to work.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC24 August 2018
These people have no idea what they are doing and the only thing that keeps them working is re-work. Never seen an outfit that was so
cold towards the employees and petty about everything. The Manager is a complete jerk who has no business running a civil company. This company has a bad reputation for a good reason. Keep looking you don't want to end up here no matter how broke and desperate you are.
Pros
some equipment is in decent shape
Cons
i could go on all day.
Big mistake
Labourer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC16 August 2018
Paying penalties on jobs that should have been complete. Losing a lot of money here it’s no secret.
I couldn’t see the owners wanting to be in Kelowna any longer with the morons they left in charge costing them so much money/reputation. Unfortunate because they probably could have done well...
Pros
Good pay
Cons
Everyone knows “everything” but nothing gets done
No Loyalty and poor treatment
employee (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC22 July 2018
I seriously cant recommend this company in Kelowna as an employee or a client. They are not good to their people nor do they do good work..Lots of favoritism and nasty attitudes from Management .
Pros
easy to get a job there
Cons
everything
great
Excavator Operator (Former Employee) –  Surrey, BC9 July 2018
lots of work great crews to work with lots to learn new equipment and paid very well. they kept me busy most of the time and even offered compensation in fuel
This outfits bad reputation is well deserved.
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna28 June 2018
This companies Kelowna Division is something you want to avoid at all cost . Management is Brutal and the guys in the field clueless.
I cant recommend this outfit for any reason.
Pros
I am stumped
Cons
Where do i start
Last place you should work , look else where.
Heavy Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC6 May 2018
The management is a old boys club . No training provided .this company was disposable labor. Some co workers were awesome to work with the other plus management is reason for leaving.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
Strongly advise you don’t work here.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC27 April 2018
In my opinion this company is one of the worst I have ever encountered . Absolutely no loyalty and work over family and health is the culture . You would do well to check comments on other Sites before making the same mistake many before you have.
Pros
None come to mind
Cons
Just read the other reviews .
Inexperienced Foremen
Equipment Operator (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 April 2018
Kelowna foreman like to remind you constantly how quickly they can remove you if they don’t like you. Communication was lacking, say one thing then throw you under the bus when superintendent doesn’t like what is being done. Witnessed many at risk safety behaviours. When you put it all together it just wasn’t worth working for them. Many other opportunities with other companies to bother with Hall.
Pros
Decent wage for Kelowna
Cons
Management look down on you.
GREAT place to work. Days go by fast with a great team.
Pipe Layer (Current Employee) –  Kelowna, BC20 April 2018
Hall Constructors is definitely the best company I've worked for. The biggest thing for me is that they truly care about the safety of their employees and have a solid safety department. Your hard work is recognized by foreman and management, and you can go home feeling valued.

The days are long in spring and summer months, roughly 50-60 hour work weeks, and winters tend to be slower.

Hall is full of great people, and a fantastic culture.
Pros
pay, culture, benefits, advancement
Cons
slow winters
terrible people to work for .
Pipe Layer (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC16 April 2018
management is simply terrible . do not let these people build a subdivision or touch any underground pipe . union will not help mitigate any conflict do yourselves a favor and work elsewhere
Pros
Cons
cut throat employer
Not a good place to Consider at all.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Kelowna10 April 2018
Horrific outfit to work for. Chalk full of Arrogant Managers that have no skills or experience yet look down their nose at you. No Mentoring , training or support but they will promise you the world and deliver nothing. Way better off going somewhere else. The Kelowna company Division needs to be revamped starting at the top.
Pros
Cons
too Many to list
worst in more than 30 years
Operator/Driver (Former Employee) –  kelowna7 April 2018
hard to believe it could be as bad as it is,.no skill in mid management, advancement based on favoritism and installation knowledge is actually frowned upon/discouraged. you would be wise to go virtually anywhere else...............re-do more than do!! general manager just slimely .........
Pros
none to speak of
Cons
safety system lip service only, no knowledge base, required no notice overtime.list goes on
Bad experience for me. No support or information and very unfriendly and unaccommodating .
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Kelowna, BC3 April 2018
No support / Training or shared information -very unfriendly and unaccommodating.Wont see many happy faces here and very unorganized to say the least.You would be wise to bypass this outfit.
Pros
cant think of any.
Cons
see above comments

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hall Constructors. Our community is ready to answer.

2.1