Halifax Regional School Board Employee Reviews

Great city, job no-surprise
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 August 2018
HRSB is a large urban-rural school board that makes every attempt to keep up with curriculum changes. It is orderly. Halifax is a wonderful city, easy-going and friendly.
Assisting children in their education
Substitute Secretary & EPA (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS14 July 2018
Whether I was substituting in the Learning Centre as an EPA or in the Secretary's Office as the School Secretary, my interaction with the staff and the students was always the highlight of my day. I loved being able to do my best to help make everyone's day a little bit brighter by helping out the best way I knew how while their regular staff member was absent. I adored the children, especially those with special needs - they reminded me every day about how we all should keep life simple and enjoy the little things in life.
Pros
Interacting with the students and staff
Cons
Not able to secure a permanent position
Custodian
Custodian (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS5 July 2018
Being able to work around the young people
Able to without little or no supervision
Clean and safe work environment
Trying to get to work at 3pm in the afternoon, whereas I am a morning person
Enjoyable
Substitute School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Various schools throughout HRM31 March 2018
I worked as a substitute secretary for HRSB at various schools in HRM. I enjoyed working with the teachers and assisting the children. It is a very busy environment and there was never a dull moment.
Pros
The children and teachers
Cons
Unengaged Parents
Union-busting is alive and well here
Teacher (Secondary) (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS13 March 2018
Do not move to Nova Scotia to work in public schools unless there's some very compelling family-related reason. Job security, the work environment, benefits and salary are being actively eroded by the current government.
Pros
Centrally located, great colleagues
Cons
Union-busting, holding it for hours, parent abuse and scapegoating by the board.
Substitute Secretary
Substitute Secretary (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS8 January 2018
A typical day at work was dealing with answering phones, working on tasks for teachers/principals as well as recording attendance and information management.
Amazing staff and students
Educational Program Assistant (Former Employee) –  Lower Sackville, NS30 November 2017
My job with the Halifax Regional School Board was very rewarding. I had wonderful students to help and I formed many bonds. My co-workers were amazing and we worked well together as a team.

Being in the school system and especially at the high school level which is my favorite allowed me to learn more as well as help the students.

Everyday was a new challenge and helping students be successful was so rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the day was when you saw a student smile and was happy with what they had accomplished.
ELEMENTARY SUBSTITUTE TEACHER (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS31 October 2017
HRSB was a good place to work. I wish there were more opportunities for elementary English teachers in the HRSB. I felt supported by some principals and unsupported by some.
Workplace
(Educational Program Assistant) Substitute (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS19 September 2017
Everyone gets along and has a very good day, by learning all they can from the children around them and the co-workers that they happen to work with, very good place to be.
EPA work at Joesph Howe School
Educational Assistant Program (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS7 September 2017
Great getting to work with the kids but found it frustrating that issues that arose weren't always dealt with efficiently. Work environment was at times stressful but very rewarding
Ok place to work.
International Services Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS28 August 2017
Depending on your position this could be a great work environment, I didn't have supportive management, long hours and nothing was ever considered good enough. Workplace bullies were also a major factor. However, I am sure that's not all departments.
Fulfilling and stimulating place to work
Teacher (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS16 August 2017
Everyday was a learning experience, Department Heads were always willing to share resources and debrief lesson plans with new teachers. Always a challenge to keep students engaged, one of my favourite parts of the job was trying to meet that challenge- the ability to redesign a lesson if it didn't work for one group of students, find a way to make it work, differentiate instruction as a means to guide even differently-abled students to the same outcomes.
A good organisation to work for with room for learning opportunities
Teacher (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 July 2017
Working for HRSB is good. They offer pensions, benefits and a good salary. The work is very challenging at times and you need to be prepared for anything and everything as a teacher.
Opportunities and Limits
Leader (Current Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS20 July 2017
Pro: There are several opportunities for the employees to show their creative side through planning games, activities, crafts, etc.
Con: Minimal compensation and benefits.
Exciting environment with lots of variety.
School Secretary (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS30 May 2017
Loved working at Lockview High School. I worked under an excellent team of administrators who really cared about the students' welfare. I liked issuing transcripts for the students moving on to the most exciting part of their education.
Pros
Working with students about to start their future.
Cons
None.
Flexible, Work Life Balance
Substitute Educational Program Assistant (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS21 May 2017
Great Job If you love working with children
Job life balance and flexible
It could be tough working with different kids for each assignment ,Building trust could be challenging
Loved working with the kids and administration office.
Sub Secretary (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS30 April 2017
Answered phone, dealt with parants.reported to the principle and teachers, Took lunch money and organized lunch. did all the attendance for the teachers..entered in system.
Pros
loved the hours
Cons
underpaid
Fun enviroment
Student Monitor (Current Employee) –  Monitor, AB17 April 2017
Watching children and getting to experience both their hardships and their accomplishments makes for a rewarding job. The job is not paid well and there are not many hours required but it has its benefits for stay at home moms to return into the workforce
Ok
Library Support Specialist (Current Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 March 2017
As a support staff there is little room for advancement and no respect. The support staff are the lowest of the low and are treated as such. Zero respect and zero cares.
Pros
Cons
Too many to list
I love my job
Program Leader (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS9 February 2017
Its a great place to work, i enjoy every minute of it. There is no breaks and it is a fast pace environment. You need to be able to conform quickly to changes on a daily basis.