Halifax Regional School Board

Halifax Regional School Board Employee Reviews

Canada55 reviews
A collaborative and supportive workplace.
Teaching provides interactions with staff, management , students and parents. Administration and staff are supportive and willing to answer any questions and provide support for concerns . Each day is different depending on the dynamics of the classroom. Students enjoy a hands on learning environment. Lessons are created to engage and promote a students academic and social growth. It is very rewarding to see the light in a students eyes when they realize they know a concept. Teaching is a rewarding and gratifying experience.
Good
Good place to work, nice environment.
Collaboration

Nice office culture.

Lots to do to keep busy.

Good for ppl who like lots of variety.

Overall would recommend.
Rich experience
Most of my career was spent teaching. I began as an Immersion teacher in Elementary, and spent time in the Learning Centre and as an administrator. The last ten years, I worked as a math coach, which was the most rewarding part of my career.
Teacher as a career is not for everyone
HRCE is the undisputed leader and an employer of choice is you have what it take. Teaching is the most rewarding experience for those who love children and are able to teach. One derives joy from seeing children grow into responsible adults

Leadership/management ratings, salaries and job opportunities could be fair and improved, employee benefits and workplace insights all generated by “the people who know the company best”, the employees.
Great people to work with
After accepting a job through the system, you go to the school and registered at the administration office. Then your supervisor will show you around the school and introduce you to the students you will help today with the schedule.
Relaxed and Fun workplace
amazing place, I love to spend time with children, educational and friendly environment, continous learning and teaching also fun, exercise, playing different game.
Pros
relax
I loved working there
I worked there for 3 years and I loved it alot. I didn't want to leave but i had to as i was leaving the city to come to wolfville. Otherwise I would have stayed there
Non applicable
It is very hard for new Canadians to get a secured position there. All positions are for Natives. When they see you applying for a position they think that you are taking their jobs. There should be a new Canadian who can support new Canadians and practice equality because there is a big number of new comers kids who need to see being supported by their community members.
Pros
N/a
Cons
Do not know
Hard to gain full time employment
Subbsituted for 3 years, hard to find jobs during my time in the feild
very competitive to find schools to work at and really had to fight your way into one to stay. Don't be sick or you could lose your place in line for a good position!
Could be better
Due to a personality clash at one of the two schools I worked at, I have been penalized and not easily or readily offered a employment opportunity for the school year of 2018.

I feel this is unfair judgment of me by the professional supervisors that choose whom is offered a employment opportunity with the school board. I also feel it is unethical and unprofessional, especially if these professional supervisors whom have been around for many years employed with the school board whom pass such judgement on me.
Great city, job no-surprise
HRSB is a large urban-rural school board that makes every attempt to keep up with curriculum changes. It is orderly. Halifax is a wonderful city, easy-going and friendly.
Assisting children in their education
Whether I was substituting in the Learning Centre as an EPA or in the Secretary's Office as the School Secretary, my interaction with the staff and the students was always the highlight of my day. I loved being able to do my best to help make everyone's day a little bit brighter by helping out the best way I knew how while their regular staff member was absent. I adored the children, especially those with special needs - they reminded me every day about how we all should keep life simple and enjoy the little things in life.
Pros
Interacting with the students and staff
Cons
Not able to secure a permanent position
Custodian
Being able to work around the young people
Able to without little or no supervision

Clean and safe work environment

Trying to get to work at 3pm in the afternoon, whereas I am a morning person
Enjoyable
I worked as a substitute secretary for HRSB at various schools in HRM. I enjoyed working with the teachers and assisting the children. It is a very busy environment and there was never a dull moment.
Pros
The children and teachers
Cons
Unengaged Parents
Union-busting is alive and well here
Do not move to Nova Scotia to work in public schools unless there's some very compelling family-related reason. Job security, the work environment, benefits and salary are being actively eroded by the current government.
Pros
Centrally located, great colleagues
Cons
Union-busting, holding it for hours, parent abuse and scapegoating by the board.
Substitute Secretary
A typical day at work was dealing with answering phones, working on tasks for teachers/principals as well as recording attendance and information management.
Amazing staff and students
My job with the Halifax Regional School Board was very rewarding. I had wonderful students to help and I formed many bonds. My co-workers were amazing and we worked well together as a team.

Being in the school system and especially at the high school level which is my favorite allowed me to learn more as well as help the students.

Everyday was a new challenge and helping students be successful was so rewarding. The most enjoyable part of the day was when you saw a student smile and was happy with what they had accomplished.
HRSB was a good place to work. I wish there were more opportunities for elementary English teachers in the HRSB. I felt supported by some principals and unsupported by some.
Workplace
Everyone gets along and has a very good day, by learning all they can from the children around them and the co-workers that they happen to work with, very good place to be.
EPA work at Joesph Howe School
Great getting to work with the kids but found it frustrating that issues that arose weren't always dealt with efficiently. Work environment was at times stressful but very rewarding
Ok place to work.
Depending on your position this could be a great work environment, I didn't have supportive management, long hours and nothing was ever considered good enough. Workplace bullies were also a major factor. However, I am sure that's not all departments.
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Halifax Regional School Board. Our community is ready to answer.