Halifax Regional Municipality

Halifax Regional Municipality Employee Reviews

Canada42 reviews
Fun, consistent workplace
Working for R.E.C was very productive. I learned a lot and met a lot of new people. I matured and gained experience from the small tasks and people I worked amongst.
Working with Community to create change
Working with HRM was an excellent experience as you learn the importance of customer service and representing communities who are often not heard. I was able to acquire presentation and project management skills.
There was always room to explore other opportunities.
Working at HRM was very dynamic, as we got the opportunities to take on term jobs, and explore other departments. I worked in finance, procurement, Roads and public services.
Slow and unorganized with little to no benefits
Lowest paid lifeguards in Canada making barely over minimum wage for a job that required taking special courses that cost a lot of money to attend. Heavily biased on what shifts people get to work and do not receive any benefits for working there.
Driving a bus in city very good
I worked for 22.5 years and retired good job interesting people.great job good pay and I had no real problems.always paid on time .if u like shift work.
fast paced and fun
It was only a march break work term but I was a lot of fun hanging out with a bunch of kids.
being able to go on multiple outings in a week was a blast as well and it was so rewarding seeing the kids having fun.
Pros
getting paid
Short review
Some departments seem to be better than others as far as a work life balance goes. Different rules for different people. Not all, but some management don’t really have time to have meetings or articulate what they actually need. There are some “lifers” that seem to get preferential treatment but don’t really know how to do their job or treat people. If one can get past the screening for an interview for a term position that’s only one part of the battle, the next part is getting the permanent position, which again you have to interview for and there are no points for you if you have been doing the job for sometime already, it’s just a free for all again in the process and you better make sure you ace that interview. Compensation is very good, wages and benefits package are fantastic.
Great Salary and Benefits, lacking in safety and management
Poor management who ignore safety concerns. Lack of advancement within your department. HRM is struggling with cutting cost and providing its services.
Good atmosphere and pay
Good staff, busy workplace but compensation is excellent. Difficult for some to advance unfortunately and was reason for leaving.
Fast-paced workplace and most staff work well as a team.
Pros
Respectful employer, good benefits
Cons
No real advancement
pretty good, access to easy ecersize
a good majority of the people that come through on a day to day basis are nice and interesting to talk to. the specialists are fun and pretty easy going
Building Relationships
Working for HRM I enjoy working with business units to improve service delivery to the African Nova Scotian Communities while understanding that building relationships is essential to how community understands HRM. I also enjoy working on projects that are internal and external to HRM. An example of a internal/external project is the Diverse Voices for Change project.

Diverse Voices for change is a Federation of Canadian Municipalities initiative to increase the number of women from diverse communities who are actively informed by, and engaged in, local government decision-making. Through this initiative FCM has chosen the municipalities of Halifax, Montreal, Edmonton, Ottawa and Sioux supporting elected officials to engage with urban Indigenous, racialized, and under-represented immigrant women in creating a more inclusive municipal decision-making system.
Great Place to Work
Great place to work everyone was friendly and willing to Assist Younger staff such as myself. Management is friendly and hands on. There is a real team atmosphere
Pros
Good Working environment
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
A very exciting job, everyday was a new challenge!
A terrific job that enables you to serve your community. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people that you meet and work with.

The hardest part was the public criticism, long hours that affect your family.
Pros
multiple tasking, fast paced environment.
Cons
poor work/life balance.
Productive and fun work place environment
A typical work day could be busy or slow all depending on the day of the week. What I've learned from working their is some good everyday skills i will be using in everyday work sites/placements. IE. organization,handling cash, customer service, when to clean during down time and so much more. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and bonding and still keeping in touch with the people i worked with, in return made the days go by faster since everyone got a long.
Seasonal Laborer, Parks and recreation
The city is an interesting place to work, with a few too many characters. I was fortunate to work with the Parks and recreation division as a seasonal student laborer. My responsibilities included working outdoors, maintaining the upkeep of a city park. Pretty chill, this was a great job for university students, good pay rate and consistent hours. However I found one summer to be enough as the routine becomes quite mundane and the senior workers are on the salty side of life.
Pros
Working outdoors
Cons
Mundane routine
Great classes to teach and participants were always working hard in classes. Management was great and encouraged training to advance skills (paying for training)
Pros
great classes and pay
Cons
not enough hours
Challenging and fun
Great place if you love working with children and spending the summer outdoors. You get to go on many trips and learn about the local community. Previous work with children an asset.
enjoyed working with computers/the job
Myself & co-worker worked together as we setup the computers daily and looked after customers coming in to vote and helped them be on the voting list.
Pros
not long enough employment
Cons
short term
great community and work enviroment provifing oppourtunnities to children and youth
-working with children/youth and their families
-how to handle personal situations involving families

-community oriented atmosphere

-hardest part of the job is being unable to give people the supports they need

-Best part of the job is helping people reach what they thought were unattainable goals and helping mold youth and children for the future.
Productive, Busy all the time
Typical day, working with management staff, union staff members, council, contractors and the public every day, typing correspondence, computer inputting on spreadsheets, outlook e mails, answering multi phone lines, setting up files and updating, working with employee payroll, tracking invoices with outside contractors, photo copying, scanning, shredding, answering electronic e mails, ordering office supplies for 3 busy departments when needed, researching on outstanding work to be done with HRM.

Workplace hectic, multi tasking, fellow employees were just as busy, we all helped out when required, enjoying working with co workers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Waiting on outside contractors to fix outstanding repair calls
Fun, interesting, educational, proactive learning environment
Loving this work environment and direct management. Very encouraging and engaging. I have already been invited to take part in children's programming training.
Pros
Manage my personal life along with work hours.
Cons
Not enough hours. I am just hired as part time (15 hrs bw
Ask a question about working or interviewing at Halifax Regional Municipality. Our community is ready to answer.
4.3