Halifax Regional Municipality Employee Reviews

Great Place to Work
Design Technologist (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS7 May 2018
Great place to work everyone was friendly and willing to Assist Younger staff such as myself. Management is friendly and hands on. There is a real team atmosphere
Pros
Good Working environment
Cons
Limited advancement opportunities
A very exciting job, everyday was a new challenge!
DISTRICT 13 CITY COUNCILLOR (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS8 February 2018
A terrific job that enables you to serve your community. The most enjoyable part of the job are the people that you meet and work with.

The hardest part was the public criticism, long hours that affect your family.
Pros
multiple tasking, fast paced environment.
Cons
poor work/life balance.
Productive and fun work place environment
Youth Live Program- Labourer (Former Employee) –  947 mitchell street halifax8 January 2018
A typical work day could be busy or slow all depending on the day of the week. What I've learned from working their is some good everyday skills i will be using in everyday work sites/placements. IE. organization,handling cash, customer service, when to clean during down time and so much more. The most enjoyable part of the job was meeting new people and bonding and still keeping in touch with the people i worked with, in return made the days go by faster since everyone got a long.
Challenging and fun
Inclusion Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS19 October 2017
Great place if you love working with children and spending the summer outdoors. You get to go on many trips and learn about the local community. Previous work with children an asset.
enjoyed working with computers/the job
Deputy Returning Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS18 September 2017
Myself & co-worker worked together as we setup the computers daily and looked after customers coming in to vote and helped them be on the voting list.
Pros
not long enough employment
Cons
short term
Productive, Busy all the time
Adminstrative Support 3 (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 June 2017
Typical day, working with management staff, union staff members, council, contractors and the public every day, typing correspondence, computer inputting on spreadsheets, outlook e mails, answering multi phone lines, setting up files and updating, working with employee payroll, tracking invoices with outside contractors, photo copying, scanning, shredding, answering electronic e mails, ordering office supplies for 3 busy departments when needed, researching on outstanding work to be done with HRM.

Workplace hectic, multi tasking, fellow employees were just as busy, we all helped out when required, enjoying working with co workers.
Pros
great benefits
Cons
Waiting on outside contractors to fix outstanding repair calls
Fun, interesting, educational, proactive learning environment
Library Assistant (Current Employee) –  Sheet Harbour, NS16 April 2017
Loving this work environment and direct management. Very encouraging and engaging. I have already been invited to take part in children's programming training.
Pros
Manage my personal life along with work hours.
Cons
Not enough hours. I am just hired as part time (15 hrs bw
Great job for high school and college students
Lifeguard and Aquatics Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, Nova Scotia13 February 2017
I loved working as a lifeguard for HRM. The pay was really fair and I met so many fun and exciting people. there is room to grow and you learn so much about yourself and other people. It's just a fabulous job for a high school or college student.
great employees and good job environment
asphalt raker (Current Employee) –  Burnside, NS2 January 2017
Showing up to work everyday knowing that you are doing something to make your community a better place was fulfilling. It is easy to get up in the morning knowing you going to an environment where you can get along with all of your co-workers and get the job done.
Fun but badly managed
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Halifax Regional Municipality, NS10 December 2016
I've worked there for five years and it took me that log to be completely nauseated a senior staff memeber, they have had several managers over the years and every time it's like starting over, the furthest thing from a smooth transition. Staff is not disciplined for missing work or not showing up and they are so desperate at times they get uncertified people to work! They pay well and run great programs but management needs work.
Pros
Access to facilities
Cons
Poor managed
Election Area Officer
Election Area Officer (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 November 2016
I throughly enjoyed this position. Work was steady, deadlines were known in advance, All co-workers were great to work with, and Management was helpful and approachable
Pros
Great work environment
Cons
term position
Supportive management, friendly staff and wonderful experience
Inclusion Support Worker (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS13 November 2016
Working during the summer as an inclusion support worker was a very rewarding experience. With numerous opportunities to advance current knowledge, free training and as well as appropriate guidance to ensure an enjoyable work experience.
Pros
Great staff
Cons
low wage
Crossing children across the street
School crossing guard (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 September 2016
Crossing the children across the street back and fourth. And talking to there pariants about safty and educating the kids about safty. And you where a vest and hold a stop sing
Great coworkers
Utility Operator (Current Employee) –  Hrm25 August 2016
Disorganized, advancement not based on merit but instead on seniority. Makes it tough to have to work hard when merit doesn't factor in to advancement
Pros
Job security
Cons
Disorganized
Fun workplace with great people
Student Intern (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS22 August 2016
I was a student intern in charge of completing a only calendar used by police volunteers for neighborhood watch. I also developed a search suggestion feature that was to be used on a resign of the city websites.
The people who work there are very professional, helpful and considerate.
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS11 February 2016
A typical day would be checking e-mails, responding to them and preparing and attending committee meetings. Gathering information and preparing reports.

My co-workers were all team players and if they asked for help or I asked for help, everyone was more than willing to pitch in to get projects completed.

The hardest part of the day was to deal with complaints and resolving them in a timely manner.

The most enjoyable part of the job was the people, they are the most professional, intelligent team players that I have ever worked with.
Pros
Completion of a project, which were varied and sometimes would take months and years.
Cons
There was never enough time in the day to complete all the work.
Good customer service job throughout my education
Bingo Floor Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS14 October 2015
Practice public relations and customer service skills to enhance customer experience and increase sales volumes.
Provided quick, efficient and courteous service to patrons
Verification of winning cards and prize pay out to winning customers
Management of cash float through secure cash handling practices
Large handling and distribution of cash
Was expected to resolve customer issues
Pros
Adaptable work schedule during school
The job was short but sweet
Skating Instructor (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS27 February 2015
I only worked for a couple months, but the job was enjoyable. I was able to teach young children how to ice skate properly and safely.
The rink was very cold though, but the hourly pay was good.
Pros
Good Salary
Cons
Cold environment
Government Job
Traffic Engineering Student (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS28 November 2014
The pace was calm. There was usually something to do, but no one was ever in a hurry. I really wish that there would have more stuff to do.

The people were great. I never felt left out or excluded.

Management was good most days. There was (still is) some miscommunication between our (the student`s)supervisors

We spent about half our time in the field and half in the office
Productice workplace, always keeps me busy and motivated to learn more.
HRM Front Desk Staff / Customer Service (Current Employee) –  Halifax Nova Scotia21 November 2014
I learned how to interact better with custormers and to handle money even better, i also learned how to do bank deposits and i am always learning new things everyday through work.