Halifax Regional Centre for Education

Halifax Regional Centre for Education Employee Reviews

Great Internship

A great work environment, and a lot of different projects on the go to be a part of. Often provided with a task and given free reign for reaching a solution.

Always do more with less.

Quite typical of all public education systems, but when you add on the absolutely maddening processes that HRCE uses for advancing your career and the ever increasing pressure of being a classroom teacher, this is a very challenging place to work. Yes, the money is decent, but when the cost of living goes up exponentially and the amount of time you are given to prepare for your daily tasks is decreased, it becomes less and less desirable to be a teacher. Even if you have a calling for the profession, passion for students, and can’t wait for “summers off” it is a difficult place to work

Pros

The joy of reaching a student and helping them achieve something great knows no equal.

Cons

Long hours and ever increasing workload without recognition of increased effort

Good management. Well maintenance. Inclusive workplace. Respectful and supportive administration

It is a great experience for me working for HRCE. This is the public schools system in Halifax Regional Municipal. The management is excellent. Employees are working in a safe respectful environment as well as having the opportunity to gain skills and improve self careers.

interersting and constantly changing environment

My particiular school is an awesome school with amazing staff and student. Very positive and upbeat and I feel safe that I can talk to the Principle or VP or Learning Centre Teacher about anything .

Pros

great hours

Cons

parking is on side streets only

Fast paced challenging environment

HRCE provides a great environment where employees are treated with respect and appreciated for their work. Very hard to get an interview if not already in the union though.

Pros

good hours

Cons

commute

Always changing

Lots of people, gotta like kids, very busy, lots of work. Fast paced environment, lots of paperwork. Fantastic communication opportunities. Ever changing technology.

Lot's of work for Subs

If you are willing to travel around the region, you can pretty much work full time as a Sub EPA. It can take a while to get in with an actual position. The work is very rewarding.

Small link in a very big chain

HRCE is too big for it's own good..when you have HR admitting they don't know the "in and outs" of specific protocol in a role, that can't be good. You are simply an employee # in a filing cabinet. This review honestly is in part to what's happening with the education system itself. Stressed out teachers, over crowded classrooms, no parent accountability, yearly creations of new positions to the point of duplicated services. Taking almost half your pay in taxes alone.. it is what you make of it I guess,its not what anyone else wouldn't say.. let's hope hrce can finally invoke some common sense and give work rights back to stock transportation, or whomever gets the contract next..

Fun and positive work atmosphere.

I learned how to react and address situations with many different types of behaviors and attitudes from many different children. They made me learn so much about them selves and other people. They offer great benefits if you are a parent who has a child that needs to attend childcare before and after school. They cover excel costs for your child determining whether it is before and or after school. The hours were the unfortunate thing. I was only picking up four hours a day with doing excel after school and lunches. Apparently after I left, there was another pay increase. Bonus feature to working for the teachers union and being apart of it.

Pros

Exciting, broken up day

Cons

Hours, pay

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Halifax Regional Centre for Education. Our community is ready to answer.Ask a Question

2.9Job security/advancement