Hakim Optical Employee Reviews

Look forward to a new You!
Manager/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  London, ON18 January 2019
Hakim Optical prides itself on excellent customer service and goes the extra mile to provide that service. Experience Opticians help you every step of the way and the Receptionists are there to help you find that perfect pair---or pairs--for every aspect of your life!
Good colleagues, terrible, unprofessional, the least qualified management in the history of this country!
Student Optician (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2019
Let,'s face it:most of the management would find it hard to secure decent employment anywhere else! Hardly any skills, forget about forward looking or prepared for the 21st century!Hired only to keep them off the streets!
A bunch of good or very good Opticians, some good sales assistants as well. Poor quality frames, subpar eyeglass quality but decent prices for the general public.
The ownership is from another movie altogether. Bad one.
Benefits just a figment of owner's imagination. Pressure to sell from folks who most of the time don't know if they're coming or going.
You learn from Opticians and then you move on!
Pros
Staff at store level pretty OK knowledgeable Opticians
Cons
Forget management especially "Upper" as they like to call it.
Great Place to Learn
Opticianry (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON10 December 2018
Great place to learn and experience all aspects of the Opticianry Industry. However benefits package had you pay more into your premium, and you were required to work alone most of the time.
Pros
minimal micro managment
Grear okace to work
Assistant / Receptionist/ Sales Person (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON15 November 2018
Management was amazing, one of the best bosses I've ever had. Great place to work. Fair salary plus commissions. Helps you start off as a salesperson. Flexible hours.
Productive and Fun
Sales Representative/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  1325 queenstreet west23 October 2018
The store manager and the main Optician thought me to have and have good numbers end of the day. The job was perfect amount of stress. The lab thought me how to be a technician and how to provide customers with great products.
Pros
cowokers
Great for student opticians as long as you have a good Hakim location
Student optician (Former Employee) –  7&Woodbine, Yonge&Finch17 October 2018
Been here for about 4 1/2 years before leaving and a majority of the time I was a student optician/intern. Frames here are garbage. More than 3/4 of the frames would break constantly and finding warranty for them would just be as hard. They claim that their frames are just as good as Luxottica frames but you can easily tell it's cheap. They always run out of cases and clothes a and you wouldn't be able to get new ones for MONTHS.

The original location I was in was perfect. I worked 10-7 most days and 9-5 on Saturdays. I had a bit of a life after the day ended but when I changed locations to a much busier location things went downhill quite quickly. My new manager was someone who only cared about themself and sales. They would watch me like a hawk if I happened to get 2 paying customer in a row but it was completely alright if they did it because they had a kid.

Working there is fine assuming you have good people to work with. Most of the time you're working in groups of 2-6 depending on how big the store is.
Pros
Dental and drug benefits
Cons
Can suck depending on who you work with
Ridiculous job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Durham Region, ON16 August 2018
The amount of things you're expected to know as a "receptionist" is insane. You basically have to understand what an optician does. Minimum wage, no room for advancement, no commission unless you pass some sort of test. Some stores don't even have managers and some aren't able to keep staff more than a few months. While it's nice that most locations are closed Sundays good luck trying to get any other days off. Terrible company to work for.
Pros
Paid lunches, employee discount
Cons
Everything else
Amazing staff and friendly environment
Eyewear Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB15 August 2018
It was a very enjoyable time for me at Hakim Optical. I've matured and learned many things over the course of my time there. Management was incredible. They're always there to help you out whenever you are in need. I recommend anyone to Hakim Optical who is interested in the Optical industry or anyone who loves working with people.
Great place to work, hours flexible
Receptionist/Lab Technician (Former Employee) –  Cobourg, ON5 February 2018
I loved working there, if they were hiring, I would absolutely reapply. The work was not labour intense, there was lots of people to meet, if you have a sense of what glasses fit a persons face, you would like this.
Pros
Vision Benefits
Cons
Some saturdays required
Fun place
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Millwood Town Centre20 January 2018
greet customer
worked through monday to sunday
good management

meeting people with different culture

I learned how to place glasses order, how to order lenses and take place order according patient's RX etc,
fun work place
RECEPTIONIST (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 January 2018
working with people, help them to get proper eye glass. choose a perfect frame for their face. filing and attending phone calls. call the customer to review their experience. and make them to arrange a appointment with doctor to get the glasses.
productive
Optician (Former Employee) –  Whitby, ON24 November 2017
I was working as Optician. And I was doing very well, specially my experience was helping me a lot to take care of the patients properly.
I was working hard and I could see the result.
Customer appreciation.
Pros
I have lots of good friends
Cons
things are pretty good at Hakim.
Bad company to work for if you're a Receptionist.
Medical Office Administrator/Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 November 2017
No respect for receptionists... The opticians make more money hourly, they get bonuses and make commission. Receptionist get paid minimum wage regardless of experience, yet are promised so much in the beginning of employment. Theres no job protection and if a location closes down and another one opens they will fire you without notice regardless of how many years you've worked for the company. They will have someone who's been working for the company only a few months take your position. Absolutely NO RESPECT!!! The owner is a pervert.
Pros
Minimal Health Coverage
Cons
Abusive Environment to work in (Management and Customer abuse.
laid back atmosphere, pays decent for optician but long hours and required to move around to different stores without notice.
Student optician\receptionist\sales representative (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB15 June 2017
pros: 1 hr lunch, room for advancement, people-laid back atmosphere (allowed to have a personality) optician salary is decent and livable.
cons: long hours-shifts (11-9 sometimes 10pm) work location (inside a dark shopping mall- feeling like a vampire). main lab was not as efficient as could have been created some problems on wait time for customers. lots of mundane robotic cleaning. wont pay for the optical schooling (lots of optical business do)
Pros
free glasses, 1 hour lunch
Cons
long hours\weekend work\no life
not a good place to work
Student Optician (Former Employee) –  North York, ON28 March 2017
Hakim optical is a good place to work for someone who is interested to work as full time. However, they are not flexible and they have limited opportunities for part time employment.
Pros
good learning experience
Cons
pay is not attracti
Some great co workers - some horrible co workers
Optical Receptionist Key Holder (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 February 2017
As hakim is a commission based company it was often stressful. Co-workers and location were a huge factory in determining income.
Pros
Preminate full time position
Cons
Commission based
Good company
Student Optician (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON9 November 2016
Overall good company.
Gives me knowledge of things I need to learn.
Fun work environment.
Great selection of frames.
Co workers encouraging.
Involves a decent amount of cleaning and customer service.
Great Experience
Optician & Store Manager (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON31 October 2016
I first started here as an optician. It was a great place to start out. With this experience, I was able to move onto other companies, such as Lens Crafters.
Great place to work.
Receptionist/Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON2 July 2016
Great place to work. Friendly people and fun atmosphere. Retail establishment that can be very professional.
Pros
Commissions above pay.
Cons
Owner
Decent
Laboratory Technician and Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Peterborough, ON12 January 2016
You must learn as much as you can and then go to school if you expect to get anywhere and receive decent pay. Can be hostile work environment due to commission and spiff competition between employees. Most enjoyable part is if you have a good coworker that you get along with and not an over controlling manager. High turnover rate with employees in certain areas within company, and not a great benefit plan.
Pros
Paid lunch
Cons
No overtime

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Hakim Optical. Our community is ready to answer.