Hakim Optical

Hakim Optical Employee Reviews

Canada54 reviews
Hakim Optical was an okay place to work at they only hire full-time they have some benefits you do get a pair of free glasses once a year for yourself and immediate family.
Not the greatest place to work. Owner does not know how to run the company anymore. Has unrealistic expectations and is very sexist and arrogant. If it was not for my amazing District Manager, i would not have stayed as long as i did. The work was enjoyable and fulfilling but the treatment from the owner was not worth the very little pay, Huge expectations and need to work 6 days a week.
Pros
Great District Manager
Cons
Pay and arrogant owner
Hakim Optical is a company stuck in the past. Their systems are poorly designed and clunky, produced by a head office which follows the same description. Corners are cut at every opportunity, producing eyewear which is abhorrently overpriced, and of overall egregious quality. It is then your job to attempt to sell these glasses, and inevitably deal with the irrate customer when they return to have you repair a frame which has likely been hiding in a box in the back of the store since the early 80s.
All of this is fairly as you'd expect, and easily overlooked as the honest rigours of any job.

The worst, however, is yet to come.

This system of cutting all corners for the sake of the bottom line breeds a work culture which rewards sales, no matter the cost in overall employee quality. Toxic, abusive workers are met with open arms and indeed find advancement within the company (despite numerous complaints from coworkers, doctors, managers, and customers), while good and hard-working employees are treated as second class.

This is all reflected in an astounding turnover rate, and stores being perpetually understaffed.

The frequency of new hires leads to a sort of training fatigue from all staff members, as there is no set training regimen, and new employees often quit within days due to the treatment they face from seasoned staff members.

Upper management, and HR, are aware of these problems. They do not care to fix their terminally ill business. So long as there are customers they can swindle, from the nearly blind elderly to those uneducated and easily influenced by scientific
 - more...
Pros
A free pair of glasses every year, great opportunity to learn a great field.
Cons
Low wage, no raises, chaotic schedule, management (district manager and up), bad benefits.
The store is fairly busy, always learning new things, hours are a bit long. Promotions can be confusing at times, customers need thorough explanation.
Upper management is poorly run. They expect small stores to pull in the sales that Toronto stores would. Huge lack of training. Horrible pay. Benefits were alright, but didn't start until you were there for a year.
Great learning experience
Meeting amazing team members

Learning how to multi-task and crisis manage

Learning how to provide great customer experience
- most people were really friendly, however, my manager was quite rude.
- learning about optics was surprisingly fun

- could be very boring at times, and at certain locations, they didn't give you much to do

- I work better in a more fast-paced but relaxed environment so this job wasn't entirely for me
Hakim Optical has about 200 stores when I did accounts payable there was 2 of us who had to pay utility/phone/gas/water bills for all the store. Do expense reports for the employees and stores. Also we handled purchases and other bills.
Overall it's a relaxed place to work but there's not really any loyalty from management towards store level staff. Pay is basic with no room for growth or raises.
I loved my job. Unfortunately I moved away. I grew so much on professional level, including sales and customer service. I would recommend this job if you are looking for professional place. Traning is a bit intense but on the end is worth it. They pay hourly wage and commission. I loved the challenge. Also, if you want to stay within optical industry, apprenticeship traning is available
Good company good people and great hours i enjoyed working there i was there for approximately 11 years I recommend this position for an entry level person
Would not recommend working here. The hours are too long which could lead to burnout. Not paid enough for the amount that has to be learned. Very sales based which can be good or bad depending on your wants in a job.
It's a great company through and through. I enjoyed working there for many years, started at the bottom and worked my way up to managing optician. Very rewarding
The manager at Main street was creepy, made me uncomfortable alot of the time.The rudest most judgmental guy I've ever met. He laughed when i told him my grabdma died of lung cancer and basically said she deserved it since she smokes. All the other workers there are rude, they ALL gossip about eachother. They made racist remarks about aboriginal people, It literally felt like high school. The amount of drama that goes on there is embarrassing. You get paid min wage and no paid break even though you work for 9 hours. AVOID AVOID AVOID this place. I have nothing posstive to say about my experience here at all.
Cons
Long hours. Poor training. Over promise and under delivered on the positive position.
Regional manager gossip between store managers. New hired are not welcomed with professional and positive environment.

If you are interested in optical profession then look else where for great training.
No job security,less payment,benefits were not bad,cheep job culture,old workplace,6 days works in week, easy job,Medium management,too much duties (no balance)
I was thrown in with little training and expecting to run the store for hours on my own. My superior would leave the store to socialize with another merchant outside all day and not check in on me. It was a terrible work experience.
Lots of job should be done and needs lots of data legacy
* Programming during the work day

* Sometimes we need to work remotely during the time that no body use the program

* Web server needed to upgrade to be able to use the .Net frame work

* IT Manager is a very helpful person and helps all to doo responsibilities
I have been with hakim for 3 years now and have to say it is by far the best job I have ever had. It is not only a job it has turned into my career. I had zero optical experience when i sarted and I had an amazing team who trained me well beyond the skills I needed. In 3 years I went from receptionist to store manager. So there is alot of room for growth. Its both mentally and physically stimulating its a fast paced environment which I love. I have zero negative things to say about Hakim optical. The staff the doctors the higher ups all incredible. They will work with you and much as possible to keep you happy and successful if this is the path for you. We are all given equal opportunity and its up to us to excel or underachieve. The choice is yours!
Pros
The knowledge that is attainable
Cons
Sunday hours
This job was TERRIBLE . The managers are very rude, don't want to train you than they will be very angry when you don't know something even though it says you don't need optical experience that's a lie. I was there for about 3 months, never got trained properly than told I need to speed up the process or I'm not going to make it. It's like going to highschool all over again nothing but drama .I was also told that I was there to clean up after my manager not the manager clean up after me even though I didn't make a mess. I was also always yelled at and people were talking behind my back . You can try out the job for yourself but it's like living your own personally nightmare all you do is clean for 8 hours and just stand there.
Pros
Set hours
Cons
Management, Co-workers and Upper management
While there are many great and talented individuals working for this company and the overall upper management is fantastic, the store level experience is exceptionally cliquey. There is a district wide distrust of new employees and an exceptionally high turn over. More so than most retail jobs. There is pressure to perform, but also zero support from store level management. There is a culture of bullying with severe and rampant racism at the sales level.
Pros
Top level management
Cons
Wage, hours, store level management