Hach Employee Reviews

Seasoned sales person....not seasoned corporate suck up.
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO6 May 2018
If you are a GREAT salesperson, you can make pretty good money. I did. Then told that destroying my goal might have been some strange anomaly. (Raises based on performance).

If you are not a Great at sucking up to people that don't know what it means to hustle, might not work out long term. Plenty of turnover to prove that.

Plenty of good people though. Even the CEO was straight up. Middle management is creating work to justify their 6 figure incomes.
Pros
Pay not bad, just be ready with the lipstick. Anyone tells you different, they are lying.
Cons
Corporate slave.
Colloborative and Variable Lab Work
Chemical Technician, Quality Control (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA23 May 2018
Working in Hach's Quality Control lab was enjoyable as the day always varied based on what products needed to be tested that day. Working in a larger lab with a good group of people definitely made the days go by faster. There were always new things to learn and promotions were available but I am not sure how much of a raise was given with promotions as I moved after only having been there for 2 months.
Pros
Good coworkers, colloborative environment
Cons
Short breaks, heating/cooling system was older
Great Place to work if you want to make a difference in people's live all over the world
Talent Scout (Current Employee) –  Colorado4 February 2018
Hach is this great unknown gem in Northern Colorado. 70+ years in business; feels like a start-up with the stability of a long-term successful corporation behind; most inspiring is the fact that I am able to work for a company that takes water quality around the globe serious --there are few things in live that are just as or more important.

Employees are held to high standards, they work hard, it is fast-paced and you don't see people stand around a water cooler and chat for 30 minutes, but they also have fun and you learn so much - I like this environment, but it isn't for everyone. Collaborative cross-functional teamwork environment.

I have never worked for a company that offers the kind of development opportunities and training opportunities and takes promoting within so serious.

The hardest part of my job and probably many jobs out there is to juggle meetings, projects, etc. that are so common in a corporate culture, while also making or trying to make an impact in the actual job for which you were hired for.
Pros
Free Coffee, Tea, Ice Cream, Good Benefits, Above standard 401k match
Cons
old facilities (but they working on that);
Rewarding, intellectual,
SENIOR BUYER COMMODITY MANAGER (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO22 January 2019
The company offered great training, empowered employees to engage in problem solving and goal achieving activities. Provided tools and experience that were not only useful, but remained with you throughout your career.
Pros
Soft Serve Ice Cream
Cons
Lower pay than other companies in the region
Nice coworkers, terrible job.
Operator II (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA3 May 2018
I liked it at first when I was hired but that’s because I was unaware of what I was getting myself into. First I was trained by a guy who had only been working for 2 months instead of a more experienced employee (which I knew for fact there were multiple guys who had been there 10+ years). I don’t fault him, he didn’t know a whole lot but he told me everything he knew. Fast forward after the probation period, I was “done” with my training and put on my own which didn’t go well at all because I wasn’t actually properly trained instead I was critized because I didn’t know everything, maybe I would’ve if I had a more experienced trainer and the machines weren’t complete trash. The machines were always breaking down because Hach is too cheap to replace anything instead you just taped it all back together and just rolled with it, otherwise you get yelled at for the machine not constantly running or you’d have a mechanic grumpily half fix it. The only plus about going in everyday was my fellow coworkers, they were nice and amazing to work with even though the job was utter garbage. If you needed help they were always there to help in light of a bad situation. I thought the breaks, time off and hours were fine but the rate of pay for the department I was in was low honestly compared to the guys upstairs who basically did the same job as us and got paid twice as much. All in all if you are looking to work here I personally wouldn’t but you need to have tough skin or just a care free attitude maybe you’ll handle it unlike me. And also get ready for zero training and poor management.
Pros
Hours, coworkers, breaks, healthcare, benefits
Cons
Management, morale, Training.
Picking products for individual orders
Domestic Shipping (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA15 September 2018
My duties were to grab an order sheet with some products from the track back between some shelfs or to grab the order sheet from the other location that was near where you entered the location and the go and grab the other products for the order and put them in a tote and then put the tote or totes down a rolling track for packers to pack them.
Pros
Scheduled breaks and scheduled lunches
Cons
Overtime every day which was from the first day I started which started out at 9, 10 hours or more per day
Don't Work there.
Employee (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA30 January 2019
The human resources lady to is two faced. I saw an employee make lies up about her supervisor so she could get his job. And it worked The human Resources lady said it was okay that the employee said nasty things about her supervisor.
Pros
Cons
Every
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO18 December 2018
I loved working at Hach. The only issue I had was they did not have work at home as an option for the company. It felt like my coworkers were my family.
Pros
Unlimited Chocolate/Vanilla Ice Cream
Each Department is Different, Company Goals = A+
Technical Support Representative (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO24 April 2018
This is a large company growing quickly. I felt like just another number in my department, not due to management but due to company culture. They are working on bringing technology up to date and in customer service/tech support that means our interactive software was not easy to navigate. I am grateful for my coworkers, and if you work well with numerical matrices it is a great place.
Pros
Coworkers, measured performance goals, location
Cons
Short breaks, too-high expectations, outdated facility
n/a
Senior Field Service Technician (Current Employee) –  Loveland, CO8 July 2018
A typical day at Hach is very busy. The job starts with pre-call planning, procuring parts, inventory management, follow-up emails and writing service reports. There is a fair amount compliance and safety training that takes place on a continual on going basis. You will learn how to manage your time and work within various constraints.
Engaged
Manager (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO26 March 2016
There is a true engagement of management to associates, however it at times feels more like "big brother". There is general loyalty amongst associates who have tenure with Hach. Management is top heavy and influenced by the parent company business models (Danaher). There seems to be split decisions amongst associates on if it's good or bad. The people who work here are good, solid people. They work hard and do what needs to be done to reach goals. Decent salaries, good benefits. Work/life balance varies depending on the department you work in.
Pros
Mission is on point. Onsite cafeteria.
Cons
Older facilities, crowded work spaces. "Lean" departments makes double the work for some.
Great Management, A Lot of Work
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA24 August 2017
I worked in the QC labs and our lab management team was amazing. Lab processes and protocols are very easy to understand.
Unfortunately, the hours are long and the employee moral is not the greatest. Good company to work for when entering the science industry.
Pros
Good Management, Great Benefits
Cons
Overall moral, Long Hours, Hazardous Work Enviornment
Rapidly growing company ran like a small mom and pop shop
Export Credit Analyst (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO19 February 2016
My time at Hach was overall a waste. Lots of favoritism, specially in the credit department. The credit manager is great but AR/AP supervisors not so much. If you are not a personal friend of theirs you will be stuck doing all the work their friends don't want to do. The equipment is outdated and old. I had to buy my own keyboard, mouse, calander, and office supplies. HR department is a huge mess and has a very high turnover rate. I started at 35,500, got a raise a few months later which put me at 38k, and was making 40,500 when I quit last week. Customer support agents make close to 50k. Good job if you just want to make your money and go home. But if your looking for a career, this is not the place.
Pros
Credit Manager is awesome
Cons
Lots of Favoritism
Bad Place to Work
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA10 February 2016
I am overall unhappy with everything this company has to offer, which is honestly nothing. There is no safety first and people including management( especially management) are rude. The atmosphere is very unsave and unhealthy. I regret ever accepting a contracting position with Hach. I would look anywhere else for employment if I knew what I was getting myself into. Not to mention that place is extremely cheap. No contract buyouts, no equipment replacement, and just run down and nasty.
Pros
No pros
Cons
bad benefits, no safety, bad management, no competitive wages....
Company itself doing well but everyone is overworked.
Chemical Technician (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA19 July 2017
Hach could benefit from more part-time positions and an entirely new facility with more space. Every square foot of that facility is already used for something. As a result, there's no privacy.

Ten-minute morning department meetings kept us feeling in the loop and like a team.

The QC lab's culture was genuinely good because both beginners and veterans would easily ask nearby co-workers for advice on tricky chemical tests.

Even hard-working, well-liked, and/or professional co-workers vanished permanently without warning, and not necessarily of their own choice.

Co-workers' professionalism was impressive but cold. (Before Hach, I had never worked at a company where nobody never says good morning or hello to any of their co-workers.)

Good benefits such as company clothing stipend IF you last several months. (When you do your laundry at home, you'll see corrosive burns in your pants and shirts often.)

It's very draining work but didn't require any work to be taken home.

You won't get constant emails, voicemails, or text messages when you're on-duty or off-duty.

Working in a department full of people who always keep their emotions in check is good for running accurate QC tests.

It's impossible to leave the facility long enough during your lunch break to get fast food for lunch, fill up the gas tank, pick up kids from day care, or run to the bank.
Pros
Excellent, practical on-the-job training in chemistry.
Cons
Co-workers consider it acceptable to have to work OT every other week.
No real leadership
ETS (Current Employee) –  Ames, IA3 October 2016
everything with the Ames plant is poor, from leadership to quality control and documentation, training. Hard to imagine they make money this way. Benefits are sub-par and pay is low end for Ames. Team leaders have no training. They seem desperate to hire as many recent hires are felons,
Pros
Free food
Cons
poor training, unsafe environment, chemicals everywhere. No leadership
Competitive Environment
Assembly Technician (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO14 September 2016
Electronic Assembly for water filtration systems, sensors.
They were then used outside of the country wherever in the world the water quality is poor.
Pros
Teamwork
Cons
No benefits
It's ok
Technical Support Representative (Current Employee) –  Loveland, CO12 April 2018
Training was not good and the treatment from co-workers was horrible. They had no patience and the employees did nothing but badmouth their managers and job.
It`s Hach
Operator III, Shipping Receiving (Former Employee) –  Loveland, CO13 September 2012
Not a bad place but no longer a great place to work at.Good benifits,
Pros
good benifits
overall was a fun place to work
Color Specialist (Former Employee) –  Ames, IA24 December 2017
got to work with different chemicals and got to learn a lot more about how chemicals interact with one another
hours were good pay was decent
very independent job