H&R Block Employee Reviews

Productive and fun workplace with coffee
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Toronto Central District9 August 2017
Productive and career improvement workplace full of fun and encouragement. Excellent management Team full of understanding. Friendly, accommodating and support.
Great opportunity
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Pickering, ON8 August 2017
Opportunities for growth and well-laid out plans for staff. you do not have to remain at one level... there are opportunities to improve each year in the company's training program.
Unorganized, too many bosses that did things differently
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC5 August 2017
Training is not adequate, clients had to wait in my office while I did the tax return and it got approved for sending to CRA. They should have been able to drop off the information, and come back & pick it up when it was done.
Cons
Long hours, Clients in your office while returns were being prepared
ok for some extra money
RECEPTIONIST/TAX PROFESSIONAL/MANAGER (Former Employee) –  London, ON3 August 2017
ok for some extra money, good after the Christmas holidays. Not a career that's for sure. Most of the people are ok though. If you want to learn how to do your own tax they offer good courses.
Fantastic
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  St. John's, NL26 July 2017
H&R Block is a fantastic place to work! The management is phenomenal, everyone is so friendly to work with, and you are constantly learning new skills. They are so flexible and understanding with schedules as well. And even though we only meet with clients once a year, on average, it is such a fun and rewarding experience every single time.
Cons
None!
good to work for
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  Saskatoon, SK24 July 2017
enjoyed working there but need more hours/ higher wages . single one income. meet lots of people. experience in fields as administrative assistant. all cultures and walks of different poverty . answering phones, cash, cheques, administrative assistant experience
Pros
good people/flexable hours
great place to work
Client service professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 July 2017
loved working for this company, will hopefully be returning this year for 2017 tax season, learned a lot in a short amount of time, was basically the go to person in my office even tho i was new. i took the time to learn things when it was slow.

this was my first office job and i really enjoyed it, i wanted the full time hours and they were short staffed so worked at 4 locations in Calgary on a regular basis
Pros
everyone was nice. wanted to help everyone
Flexible hours
SENIOR TAX PROFESSIONAL (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2017
Helpful colleagues, flexible hours. I have worked with H & R Block for over ten years. Every year I have to take an in house tax course that I enjoy very much.
Pros
flexible hours
Cons
minimum wage
very long hours
Office Leader (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK14 July 2017
super busy during the tax season with not much financial benefits, very close to where i resided so it was beneficial for me but not much to do after the tax season was over
Pros
walking distance from my hours
Cons
employees no show on a regular basis and no back up provided
Great Team Work
District Operations Coordinator (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON13 July 2017
The team work at H&R Block is amazing. When I started out at H&R Block as a Tax Professional one of the thing that impressed me the most was the team work in my office and other departments in the organization. This is because the organization's common goal is customer satisfaction.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
No Benefits for employees labeled as part-time
Not a great tax prep company
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 July 2017
Salary is too low. Not efficient in customer service as well as to its employees. No benefits. Schedules are flexible though according to their availabilities.
Pros
Flexible schedules
You don't work there for the pay
Tax Professional - Seasonal (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON10 July 2017
If you love taxes and want to help others this is the place to work. Pay is not good. The company can really do something to take care of their works. Instead all HnR is concerned with is their revenue.
H & R Block are ok to work for
Income Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Hanover, ON8 July 2017
When I worked for this company, things were good, except when I took ill with pneumonia at the end of tax season and because of that they chose not to hire me back the next season.
Temporary Position
Customer Service Manager (4 month temp position) (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB5 July 2017
Working for H & R Block during tax season can be busy at the end of the season, slow at the beginning. Lots of learning done when it comes to the way taxes are handled in locations such as H & R Block.

The hardest part was dealing with the customers who were surprised by the cost of having someone prepare their taxes. This resulted in some creative problem solving to keep both the clients and the tax preparers satisfied.

The tax preparation staff were good to work with and they were very easy to approach.
Pros
Temporary position for 3 months, easy to get to the office
Cons
Work load was variable
seasonal
Customer Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC4 July 2017
Tax season is a stressful time, working at a tax office during that time can be very stressful. It tended to be a lot of trial and error, even with the training at the beginning.
Pros
free tax return
Cons
no clearly defined expectations
Receptionist / Front desk (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB30 June 2017
You learn a lot of skills at this job, such as communication with co-workers and your employers along with how to interact with customers in a positive manner.
tax pro
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON29 June 2017
I came on job and do tax return. Dealing with clients wasn't always fun, sometimes you have very difficult client that destroys your day. You have to know a lot for small money.
Pros
yes free lunch on the end of season
Cons
no, you chou you hours
good
Tax Consultant (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB28 June 2017
Need good communication and teamwork from the upper management. typical was busy and stressful during tax season.
it s a multicultural company and I enjoy the incentive program every season.
Pros
flexeble
Cons
seasonal
Challenging company.
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK28 June 2017
If you love numbers, this is the job for you. You get an office job, in a cozy space for a pretty good salary. They'll even train you and that helps when it comes time to do your own taxes.
It is a good place to work in with the right staff
CSP (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON27 June 2017
It is a good working environment in the office. I think the company has a great group of workers. Overall, a good group of people to work with and it can be a very fun environment

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2