H&R Block Employee Reviews

Great Learning Experience
Contract Worker (Former Employee) –  Weyburn, SK3 October 2017
H&R Block was a fantastic learnig experience and it really complimented my education. I learned a lot about taxation and scheduling, it was also a great experiece as far as workplace ethics and work relationships were concerned.
Nice Place to Work
Tax Professional, Tax Course Instuctor (Former Employee) –  New Westminster, BC2 October 2017
H&R Block is a great place to work if you have a great DM and DOC. Great life/work balance, you can choose if you want to work full time, part time, if you are ok with overtimes.
Cons
National office doesn't understand how field offices work
challenging work
Tax Preparer (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON1 October 2017
very fast paced work environment, great learning opportunites.

Great variety of situations exposed to.

Work with some great people.

best part of job is helping people!
Excellent place to have a long term career
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Fort St. John, BC28 September 2017
Thorough training that starts in the Fall with minimal hours is great for my schedule.

There are many long term colleagues that truly make you feel like you're part of a team and are there to help you when you need it.

There is room for advancement (and it is encouraged), with your fellow team members working thru everything with you which makes it easier.

The freedom of setting the hours you work is a great bonus as I can work as much or as little as I choose. If I want to take the summer off and only work during tax season, this job affords me that luxury.

Every return is reviewed by management for accuracy so I can talk with my client and have great confidence the return I have prepared has been done correctly. This gives great Peace of Mind to me and my clients.

One of the hard parts about the job is you have to be quite detail oriented and you have to like working with numbers.

The most enjoyable part of the job is A:) my co-workers and B:) making a difference in people's lives. My accuracy with their tax return and finding that extra $100 credit for them could be the difference in having the funds to cover their bills or not.
Pros
Flexible hours, hands-on learning, room for advancement, Strive for accuracy as a team
Cons
If you can't handle working with numbers and fine detail work, this is not for you.
verry good
Client service Profeesional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 September 2017
good place work. learned lot of new thing every day and basic bookkeeping. the management is good. the hardest part of work in H&R Block was when client was angry and strewed up .
Good place to start
Customer Tax Specialist (Former Employee) –  Burlington, ON22 September 2017
Great training - worth going back for year after year. Good people to work for & with in local offices. Poor pay, bad bonus structure & seasonal work only.
Pros
Good local management
Cons
poor pay
Efficient and Organized place to work
Administrative Assistant/Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON20 September 2017
H & R Block is a very welcoming and efficient work place. It is very organized and efficient. Everything is done orderly and professionally. There is never any complaints or arguement. They are very helpful sending all clients back with no questions or confusions, everyhting cleared up.
Pros
Organized
Taxes
Customer service (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON8 September 2017
Doing taxes can be very stressful for most people including myself.
I learned a lot about taxes and rules the government has in place.
The hardest part of the job is dealing with upset clients. But the best part is meeting new people and being able to help them understand certain things about doing taxes.
H&R Block helped me learn more about what goes into a tax return. It is not all about numbers
Secretary (Former Employee) –  Timmins, ON29 August 2017
I learned a bit about bookkeeping and accounting. They are long days and short days but you get through it when you get the motivation from co-workers.
Productive and Efficient Culture
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON22 August 2017
The Office culture was one of improving efficiency. Co-workers were able to work together to solve problems and the goal was accuracy in tax preparation.
Pros
Great Atmosphere, Great Training
Good experience with tax
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB22 August 2017
It's good chance to learn about personal tax. Great work environment and excellent colleagues. You might get very busy during the tax season but you could meet different people and help with their tax issue.
Pros
excellent colleagues
Cons
could be very busy during tax season
Seasonal
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Wasaga Beach, ON20 August 2017
While working at H&R Block, the work place was pleasant and the training that I received to complete this position was also excellent. Not only is it a competitive environment but also allows you as the employee to assist clientele in completing their taxs.
Pros
seasonal
Cons
just seasonal would like full time in that enviornment
well appreciated well managed company
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  St. John's, NL19 August 2017
very good training .pleasant working environment .
good encouragement by management you can decide your working hours and motivated by your colleagues
good incentives
Pros
very good training, pleasant working conditions
Cons
short season from the 15th of February till the 1 of May
office job
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS17 August 2017
you can know lot tax information about how to do it. it will help better understand how to dealing with cx and also how to deal with CRA. in banking job it will help you a lot.
Productive fun work place
Tax Consultant (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 August 2017
H and R block was fun to work for because I like doing taxes. The people are nice and the managers are easy to work for. I would recommend H & R block.
The Best Place to Work
Client Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB16 August 2017
Expert tax and filing services for all Canadians. They treat equally all employee no discriminations. They provide equal opportunities for all employee.
not fun
Tax Preparer/Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB14 August 2017
Pretty much you work on your own. Management is not approachable and the pay was too low. its hard to work in the invironment that make you feel not welcome.
Job
Regional Functional Support (Seasonal Position) (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON14 August 2017
Working for Block is like being back in high school. Most staff are only there for the almighty dollar. They spend more time being rude to others than anything.
Pros
Learning about current taxes
Cons
Disrespectful management, high expectations of staff with minimal training
Decent work environment.
Computer Crew (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON11 August 2017
The staff around are incredible, if you can find one person to get along with, you will have the time of your life. If not well lets just say the stress and anxiety will probably get to you by the end of the year.
Pros
Fantastic co-workers
Cons
Too many problems for the amount of staff on hand.
Productive and fun workplace
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Barrie, ON9 August 2017
Overall I am satisfied the job. Always been encouraged to step ahead. great benefits as an motivation to increase level of productivity. Rewards for some excellent feedback from the customers.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2