H&R Block

H&R Block Pay & benefits reviews

Canada757 reviews
Not great money, benefits, or security, but excellent training for tax preparation. I was not particularly impressed with the District Manager or DOC, neither seemed to be aware that being personable and pleasant were a real requirement for Customer Service.
Pros
Days go by fast
Cons
Low pay, little compensation, no benefits
Training was horrible. Although the boss was nice, she was a micro manager. Constantly changes her mind on how she wants things. Minimum pay for an extreme amount of work. And no OT to get caught up. Just a ridiculous pace, then nothing for rest of year
Pros
Training is provided
Cons
Low pay, low hours, boss is micro manager, no benefits
I would strongly not recommend work at H&R Block Canada. I worked for H&R Block during the 2019 tax season (around February 2020 - June 2020) as a first year Tax Professional. The simple fact is I believe they might be the cheapest company I have ever seen. As a first year, you will be making minimum wage with zero benefits of any kind. There is a high turnover rate however, so there is chance to move up in the company. Whats even worse is that even the office managers make hardly more than the first years, and even if they are working 40 hours a week do not receive benefits of any kind. In order to get hired as a tax pro, you must take their 1st year course which took approximately 5-6 weeks, 3 hours a day + homework. This is all un-paid as well.
Cons
Terrible compensation
Environnement favorable pour l'adaptation et d'apprendre rapidement l'impôt des particuliers.
Très bonne expérience pour moi😊
Pros
environnement de travail agréable
Cons
Salaire insuffisant
Best place I ever worked
It was a seasonal position, but enjoyed working here

Some benefits for tax filing to my family and friends too.
Hours were less due to Covid 19

I was working back of office, so no interaction with customers. Ticket resolving is a relaxed job, not very much stressful.
The company itself does not care about the well being of their employees. Poor wages. Not worth your time. I'd rather work for tim hortons then here.
It is very good, I enjoy when I see many people, also my coworkers are very nice, U gave to organize every things, staff schedule, office staff, and answer for the people request.
Pros
you could meet many person
Cons
the salary is so down
Cherche sans cesse des solutions pour accroître sa clientèle et son chiffre d'affaires qui investit dans la formation et les solutions mais malheureusement, en dehors de l'expérience ne profite pas au personnel
Pros
Formation et les outils de travail
Cons
La paie
colleagues are so nice. They are willing to help me when I have questions. They come back every year. This is my first to work here. But I'm pretty sure, next year I will be back. Also the working hours are so flexible. You can just tell them your available time two weeks in advance, then you are totally okay to work as you like.
they did not have enough work to pay me due to virus, let about 50% of the staff go and dropped the open hours by over 50% doing everthing they can to save their business
Good place but seasonal placement. Salary could be better.They get you to do a course every year but provide no on site trainings. The office is good location and nice clientele.
Paid bottom of the barrel wages. Although promised bonus they can revoke it at anytime(company did less sales then previous year but my metrics were the same). Not much room for advancement as there are limited year round employees.
This job may be OK for students, retired people and those who need some extra pocket money because it's seasonal. But it can't be a yearly source of income.
Pros
Seasonal
Cons
General atmosphere
Really enjoy helping people every year. Downside is three months of unpaid training for four months of mininum wage job. Gives good understanding of Canadian tax regulations.
I feel like being paid minimum wage to do people's tax returns wasn't enough considering how much confidentiality goes into it, as well as dealing with people's financial life. The pay just wasn't worth going back.
Terrible system of paying for taking their Tax Course in order to get a job offer. You get hardly any hours and if you do not take the Tax Course the next year then can not work there. Pays only minimum wage or 25 cents more!
Poor pay, no benefits (except stock option), mostly seasonal. Stressful environment, many clients lack proper documentation, etc. Mgt tough to deal with.
Good place to work but only seasonal.got less hours in a not busy hours.but getting good and update knowledge about the tax preparation every year.and you got more overtime in peak hours.
Well you have to go to school so you can learn about taxes. An you have to make sure you get a 80% overall average. But you are also given the opportunity to either do front desk or to do taxes. It's amazing place to work
Enjoyed my time working there. Met lots of nice people and nice when you can help them achieve the most from their income tax return. Regular hours and an hourly wage and commission based wages are both available
Good atmosphere, clean work area and good team environment. Chance for growth and advancement in the company. Continues learning and training available. Only down fall is Poor pay for the responsibility.
Pros
Free tax returns
Cons
Poor hourly pay rate