H&R Block Employee Reviews

Found 576 reviews matching the search See all 9,971 reviews
good to learn something new
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2019
good customer service, learned about filing taxes, work place culture needs to be updated, the hardest part is that sometimes there machines are not working and it takes along time to repair. dealing with customers appreciated.
Pros
mostly old citizens and students work there
Cons
not too much professionals
Would not reccomend
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Sherwood Park, AB12 February 2019
Overall not a great place to work. As expected in a tax office many of the clients are unhappy and there's rarely much you can do to help.Moreover the room for pay advancement is minimal to none.
Agréable à travailler
Inspectrice d'impôts (Former Employee) –  Saint-simeon-de-bonaventure, QC12 February 2019
J'ai travailler a cette endroit pour le temps des impôts

. Une journée de travaille étais de remplir des information des clients pour remplir les rapport d’impôt

.L' Ambiance étais formidable nous étions une belle gangs qui travaillais ensemble.

Comme nous étions 6 a travailler dans la même pièce , parfois c'étais bruyant .

Pour l'aspect agréable ,les employeurs étais très respectueux et nous étions très bien équipée pour le travaille de bureau .
Great people to work with, more training for the software, better scheduling
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 February 2019
I loved working there. The staff were like family after just a few days into the season.
I learned all kind of things about how an office is run, learned how to use an atm for receiving payments, and how to use an electronic software for managing clientelle and storing there info etc.
But I felt that some of the things that were expected were unethical, and certainly put off customers, many of whom went else where the following year. and expected were unethical, and many of my bonuses were lost because of the receptionist, not on purpose however....
We were not trained well on the software, which made us look bad to clients, and caused a waste of time correcting errors.
I am a single mom, and asked to never work on Sundays because it is my family day, but had to work every Sunday.
Also I have a handicapped son and need to be able to plan well each week for people to take care of him , but we were never given a schedule for the next week until the day before, which caused much trouble for me.
On the other hand, when he had to go to hospital, or had seizures they let me go as needed.
I enjoy this kind of work immensely and would go back except for these things.
The fellow workers were wonderful. We had been taught how to handle office politics and such but there was none.
The Receptionist were great.
The hardest part of the job, dealing with people whose price was raised before pick up
Pros
good fellow workers
Cons
poor training for their software, . Even people who had worked there for years had trouble with this new software
The tax academy is a cheater
Level one tax academy (Former Employee) –  Anywhere31 January 2019
I attended the tax academy class and finished it with a score of 98. The tuition fee is over 300 plus tax. The passing score is 80. In the interview during the class, they told us even you failed the exam they would trying to offer you a position like front desk. But I didn't get a job at last. Less than 20% of the students who passed the exam actually got the job, not me, even though I think 98 is much better than 80. I was told if I want to work for them, I need to take the tax course again in the next year, and there is no guarantee for a job offer after you pass it. No one will be fooled twice, right?

So it's not surprise for me to find so many complaints of their customers,'s reviews, most reasons are related to errors and mistakes they made on client's tax file. They don't care whether the tax they did is right or wrong, they only care about your money, no matter it is paid to your tax or tax courses.

Don't take their tax courses. It takes you over 300 dollars and over two months study, but they choose people randomly from five minutes interview. Does it really worth for a job only last 3 months a year (Feb to Apr, so called tax season) and almost minimum wage? If you want to be a tax pro, study by yourself or in a college is a better choice.
Pros
Make you stronger after you fail?
Cons
Waste of time and money, destroy your confidence
Helpful staff in a hardworking workplace
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS29 January 2019
I would wait for my client and ask them a set of common questions. I would look at the appropriate files that the client had brought. I learned about the different characters in people. All of my coworkers were very helpful and easygoing. Doing my prior year tax returns were hard. I enjoyed knowing about how to do the tax returns of students, families, and seniors.
Great place to learn about taxes
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON22 January 2019
prepare Income Tax returns for clients. Great Management, team and colleges. The hardest thing is no room for mistakes and dealing with CRA, The most enjoyable part of the job is meeting clients and working as a team
Pros
free tax preparation for family and Self
Cons
seasonal, and wages
This was a good job, nice people
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Halifax, NS20 January 2019
I had fun and enjoyed working with superiors and co workers alike. The atmosphere is good pay is not. Wages need to rise in Nova Scotia. I would work here again if the pay was fair
Pros
flexible
Cons
low pay
productive
Sr. Tax professional (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 January 2019
Learning opportunity everyday. Flexible hours. Happy to serve clients. Maximum refund guarantee.Helping client make you feel happy.Sometimes its hard to make client understand their own situation. Fund working with people.
Pros
N/a
Cons
flexible hours
Tax Associate
Senior Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 January 2019
• Preparing T1 Personal Tax Returns and successfully E-Filing the returns
• Coordinate and supporting other team members of H&R Block
• Scheduling, answering phones and preparing of Invoices
Pros
Good place to work. Very helpful management and staff.
Cons
Duration of work is very short, only tax time.
Interesting
Tax Preparation/Office Manager (Former Employee) –  Belleville, ON4 January 2019
This too was a challenging job, there are so many different aspects to know and cover in such a short season. A typical day was never as planned, everyday was a learning process, the management was very minimal, there was a vast workplace culture, The hardest part was dealing with upset clients. Getting the job done at the end of the week and making quota.
Seasonal job
Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Red Deer, AB8 December 2018
Not a lot of support for new hires. Very much a culture of pushing clients through quickly. Pay is too low for first year employees. Not a great place to work.
working experience
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB5 December 2018
This is the best place to start my job as a tax professional. working hours are flexible. You can learn a lot from working. Colleagues are very nice. They are always to help you whenever you need.
Pros
good working environment
Cons
minimum wage
seasonal work
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Brandon, MB24 November 2018
seasonal work only there for two months:
greeted customers
input data into computer
took payments
highly confidential
scheduled clients with tax professionals
Work type keeps you brain sharp but needs patience
Branch Manager (contract) (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON15 November 2018
It is a fast-paced work environment, which requires diplomacy, conflict resolution, multi-tasking, ability to work with databases, good with numbers, excellent customer service and team work.
Pros
guaranteed hours
Cons
Can be stressful
a typical day at work
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON13 November 2018
Do interview the customers for preparing tax returns, give them tax tips, prepare the returns and provide excellent customer service.
Always busy working on tax returns
Excellent place to work
Client Service Leader/Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Kingston, ON13 November 2018
I have worked for H&R block for 3 years in the Kingston Area and it has been a great experience. Training is great and Management are approachable and easy to work with. The management team is amazing, they help build up your weakness and they utilize your strengths, which builds your confidence. They add valuable skills to your resume that can be used in other workplaces. They recognize and appreciate their employees by holding kick off parties and end of year celebrations. Overall, I have really liked my time working for H&R Block, and I will continue to go back year after year.
Pros
Employee recognition, great management, comfortable work environment
Cons
seasonal
Seasonal (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB8 November 2018
It can be great place to work but have to be prepared to deal with individuals who are unhappy that they owe taxes. Staff and clients are not happy with management who are now putting more emphasis on selling products rather then taxes.
Excellent place to work. All the managers and staff members are always helpful
Client Service Professional (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON8 November 2018
Best place to have taxation experience. All staff members are good colleagues and always ready to help. Busy during tax season,still enjoyed working there
Very good place to work
Bookkeeper (Former Employee) –  Salmon Arm, BC7 November 2018
I loved working at H&R Block. I felt that I learned allot. I enjoyed working with my co-workers. I loved getting to know people and seeing the results of my job.
Pros
The hours worked for me.
Cons
I would of liked to learn about more about the job and it ended way to soon.

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2