H&R Block Employee Reviews

Decent Resume Builder
Customer Service Representative/Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC18 June 2018
H&R Block has a great work environment and friendly employees. However, in order to get a job there, prior schooling with their tax academy is required. To have to pay and complete their course and then to work for them only to get paid so little is unfair. It's only for the tax season so it isn't so bad for resume building/time pass/extra income/experience purposes. Very few people are able to build a sustainable career out of working at H&R Block. Their scheduling is great and incredibly flexible, tough to get a lunch break during tax season.
Hard work but satisfying
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC13 June 2018
The typical day at work is to start by prioritization the schedule of the day, by having to deal with clients forms first, and also handling the clients who come in and ask questions, so the hardest part is when there's a lot of people who come in and also have to deal with the clients face to face to do their taxes. The most enjoyable part is the satisfaction I get when I answered and helped the client correctly.
Pros
Clients bring me some snacks sometimes
Good experience with clients
Personal Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Cochrane, AB13 June 2018
Good commission pay if you work as the 3rd year. It's a nice job to deal with clients to help them to resolve problems.
However, major major problem upper management are disrespect to Tax Professional and setup lots of unreasonable policy. For example, we are disallowed to put the education on our business card even our education is related with the job (example, Accounting Designation). It makes sense if the education is unrelated, but a designation in business card proof that the company are welcome to professional accountant to work and clients are more comfortable to have an expert to help them out.
Few District Manager sets up rule that we are disallowed to work with clients from before to just the store close. However, company office hour is limited in off-season. We are trying the best to help clients but District Managers are discouraged or even threaten us to terminate our contract.
Pros
Flexible work hours, good commission in 3rd year, most clients appreciate your work
Cons
Management has "NO" Business Sense and Disrespect to Tax Prof
Thoroughly enjoyable and fast paced
Customer Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON12 June 2018
I loved the environment because of the energy flow and the constant learning curve. I engaged with many people every day and my boss was an amazing teacher. She incorporated humor into our everyday work environment and it was great. I loved working with the people and the numbers every day.
Receptionist duties (Former Employee) –  Whitehorse, YT12 June 2018
The best part about working here, was that the days would go by fast as it was always so busy. A day of work would consist on filing legal documents, take payments for tax services.
great place to work
Clerical/Key Holder (Current Employee) –  Sydney, NS7 June 2018
i have been working there seasonal for 4 years at the front desk love returning each year. there staff is well trained with the new procedures each year.
Pros
great people
Seasonal, Flexible
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON5 June 2018
Income tax preparation that encourages customer service via the lens of taxation. The tax training is top notch based on a more practical methodology, rather than theoretical. Formal training on the day to day practical aspects such as front desk, and office procedures could be more extensive for the actual tax professionals. Most associates are only seasonal so advancement within the company is based on upon more advanced tax courses in order to prepare more advanced returns. The more tax seasons completed the more advanced tax training is received.
Pros
Excellent Tax training and field support
Cons
non tax training (e.g. front desk) is inconsistant
Challenging Day at work
Tax Associate/CSR (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON5 June 2018
During tax season challenges come in as preparing a good tax return and making the clients pay the minimum for the services provided by us. We had to finish the simplest return in 15 minutes with all documents signed and payment taken. The workplace environment was very friendly and professional. Though we all competed for our bonuses but we had no personal issues with each other.The most enjoyable part was when we met our daily goals.
Pros
Flexible days and timings
family freindly
Tax Professional (Seasonal) (Current Employee) –  Lethbridge, AB2 June 2018
H&R block is there for the employees, if an emergency comes up the district manager works with you to fix your schedule giving you as many or as little hours as you want. The clients get the most of their returns and the employees are knowledgeable. Maximum refund definitely guaranteed.
Pros
fast reliable knowledgeable friendly
Fun Seasonal Job
Tax Associate (Former Employee) –  Prince George, BC30 May 2018
If you like learning and helping people, becoming a Tax Associate is quite enjoyable. Clients attend appointments usually one on one or come as a family. A review of tax information is performed with clients and the process of filing is explained ending with a refund or amount owed. Some interviews are simple and straightforward; others are more complex. Senior Tax Associates are always available to assist. This job is only available from February to May. The requirement and criteria to do the work is time consuming and voluntary; you must study as a group. There is an Exam to pass to qualify.
Fun workplace
Tax Prepare Specialist (Former Employee) –  New Liskeard, ON29 May 2018
I worked at small office in New Liskeard, Ontario and the staff there was amazing! I thoroughly enjoyed my time there. I learned quite a lot with the training they provided and I always had a lot of guidance. I could always ask the other staff members any questions that I had. They were so fun and nice to work with. Completely understanding if I ever had to have a day off because my son was sick. Would definitely go back if I lived in New Liskeard still.
Pros
Fun people to work with, salary was good
Cons
long hours sometimes, but it wasn't terrible to do
supportive staff
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON29 May 2018
a good place to learn and work...flexible hours....knowledgeable seniors....always helping and problem solving ....a learning and working with fun.....
Tax professional
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON28 May 2018
The company does not really take care of the employees. They pay minimum wage, can terminate your contract any time.
It is good company to gain the experience and move forward.
Pros
Experience
Cons
low salary
Tax preperation
Tax Professional and CSL (Current Employee) –  Markham, ON28 May 2018
Excellent company work ethic and strong training and development. Employee recognition and year end events for the employees. management is always on call and ready to help at a notice moments. Clear pursise information at your finger tips at all times
Very good place to grow
Manager Assistant at Regional Etobicoke (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON26 May 2018
It is a stage of my knowledge to absorb information from market.
During peak periods of the season, it is complex to adjust time with other tax preparers to keep attending customers. Support from main office is sometimes adequate, sometimes is not appropriate in a timely manner.
Pros
acquiring experience
Cons
difficult to match schedule
Great experience and work environment with nofuture prospect
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Richmond, BC20 May 2018
Great job to gain experience in tax or office work environment but the pay is terrible, and no permanent positions or any desirable future prospect aside from continuing to work seasonally for extra work or fun retirement hobby!
Pros
Flexible Hours, Great Staff
Cons
Terrible Pay
Overall it's a learning experience!
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC18 May 2018
Lovable team work, learning more than what I learn from the school, safe environment for women employees and flexible hours. I enjoyed working there and looking forward for the future.
Pros
Dinner get together and paying trainings.
Excellent work place
TAX PROFESSIONAL (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON17 May 2018
This is a fun workplace. Everybody here is very nice. This is a great workplace. Any issue just contact with District Manager or any senior tax professional,they will help right the way.
Good Seasonal Work
Instructor - Fundamentals (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC16 May 2018
For a retired person, this is a good way to work 4 to 5 months out of the year and have the remaining months off. Company is flexible with the amount of hours required to work.
Fast pace atmosphere with chance to learn new things
Front Line Worker - Support Worker (Seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON16 May 2018
It is a fast pace atmosphere from the beginning of the day to the end. There is a lot to be learned about taxes and the in and out of preparation. Most of the time a friendly atmosphere with clients and Tax Pros.
Pros
A learning experience and Friendly
Cons
Stressful

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&R Block. Our community is ready to answer.

4.2