H&R Block Employee Reviews

seasonal work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC18 April 2018
My typical day would be arriving to work looking to see if there was dropped of taxes for me to do. I would always help as many walks-in as I could for my own person daily goals, The people there were always willing to help me if I ran stuck which to me is very important since it was my first year with the company.
Pros
free tax returns for 10 people I knew
Cons
seasonal work
Tax Professional (Former Employee) –  Lake Country, BC17 April 2018
The pace is great, they offer extensive training on procedures and updated rules for taxes. The incentives for doing more are there. Life/Work balance is great as they give you the hours you have available.
Cons
Seasonal
environnement de travail productif et agréable
Réceptionniste (Current Employee) –  Québec City, QC16 April 2018
Journée chargé, pas le temps que s'ennuyer. Équipe de travail très chaleureuse.
Nice workplace to work
Client Service Leader (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB12 April 2018
Nice people. lots of different cultures. Good start for the accounting and understanding taxes in Canada. But management sucks. Overall, good experience.
Not worth the time
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB12 April 2018
Was promised advancement after tax season, which was never given. Found out after accepting job that it was only temporary, which I never would have accepted had I known that was the case.
Pros
I honestly can't think of one
Cons
No communication
Wouldn't work for them again.
Customer Service (Former Employee) –  Cambridge, ON9 April 2018
The management treated you unprofessionally.
The customers would yell at you if they didn't get a refund and had to pay taxes, if the wait was longer than they expected. Some of the tax pro's filed customer files in the wrong place or wrong order and you had trouble finding them. Other receptionists would write the person's name wrong and you had trouble finding them on the schedule.
Pros
It was a Job Experience
Cons
Lousy Pay - no back up
A very inclusive place where to gain a great experience
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 April 2018
A very inclusive place where to gain a great experience. the training is well done, and the team environment is good. There are always great learning opportunities.
Fun place to work, with amazing team
Réceptionniste (Current Employee) –  Saint-Hubert, QC3 April 2018
Loved to work there. Nothing bad to say about that place and i recommend it to anyone who wants to work there. Tthe team is awesome and really sweet to work with.
Pros
The work environment
Customer Service Representative Point of View
Customer Service Professional (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB3 April 2018
Good staff, good management but low salary. For me, the job is hard because you will deal with any kinds of people. They are mostly mad and upset because of their tax returns. But I learned how to deal with them diplomatically and professionally.
Cons
Minimum Salary
Best place to work
Customer Service Representative (Current Employee) –  Thunder Bay, ON2 April 2018
I love my job here, plain and simple. My only complaint is the positions are largely seasonal. Good managers, good people, good work that feels like it has a purpose and I always feel accomplished. There is also a course offered every year between tax season to train new tax professionals, and employees get the course for free
Pros
lots of breaks if needed, your own desk, lots of oppertunity for job advancement year to year
Cons
long hours, fast paced
Mauvaise nouvelle administration
Secrétaire/réceptionniste de 2013 à 2017 (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC28 March 2018
J'ai travaillé chez H&R Block sous une autre administration, ils ont changé la structure après 2015, je suis retourné en 2017 pour la saison d'impôts de 2016, mais je n'ai pas apprécié mon expérience en tant que réceptionniste (Ils nous donnent encore plus de responsabilités, mais ont baissé notre salaire.) En bref, j'ai aimé mes premières années, mais depuis le changement d'administration, je ne vois plus cet endroit comme une place de choix pour travailler.
Pros
Employés solidaires, horaire flexible
Cons
Salaire diminué, gestion de l'administration
Good for students or as an additional income source
Tax associate (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB25 March 2018
Pay minimum wage. Staff changes very often. Good for students or as an additional income source. But do support the associates with well maintained tax software and professional material.
Colleagues are very nice
Tax Professional (Current Employee) –  London, ON12 March 2018
People in H&R Block are very nice. They have a teamwork environment and we helped each other. It's very busy during March and April. Hope can raise the salary a little bit.
Potential growth opportunity.
Tax Professional 1 (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON11 March 2018
Excellent work life balanced
Earning through learning
Very updated management
Perfect combination of multi-culture
Seating without client is the most hardest part of the job
The most enjoyable part is to see the smile on client's face.
Productive and Fun Workplace
Assistant Manager, Tax Preparer (Former Employee) –  Spruce Grove, AB10 March 2018
When you are working with clients it can, at times, be difficult. The team that I had the pleasure working with was very helpful. They made sure that it was a professional and healthy environment.
Rewarding and not terribly taxing
Client Service Representative (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON9 March 2018
I enjoyed working here and didn't feel too terribly pressured because I always did my best. I liked that I didn't have to 'take my work home with me'.
Good office Job
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Chilliwack, BC21 February 2018
They are very friendly in the office not to strict and the requirements to get in are low, they prefer you have some background experience. It’s a sit down job which would be perfect for people who need a good sit down job
Pros
Sitting down Job
Cons
Not a lot of hours
Great job during school
Client Service Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON11 February 2018
I was working as the receptionist during school and this job allowed me to do my school work during my down time. They were able to work around my school schedule and i was able to make money and do my homework at the same time!
Pros
Flexible scheduling
Cons
management
Let's Do Taxes
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC9 February 2018
This job was enjoyable. If this job was available all year round, I would gladly do it. Pay was not what I would call competitive, but it was higher than minimum wage and worth the amount for the work you do.

Basically, running the front desk is the easiest job in the entire building and the people who are actually helping do the taxes are incredibly fun to work with.

Customers are typically pleased, and if they aren't they just leave so you don't have to deal with people yelling at you.

If you're looking for something to do over the spring/early summer, this is a good job. However, if you need something permanent you're going to want something else.
Pros
An easy job, with completely acceptable and manageable hours
Cons
Seasonal
Productive place
Tax Professional (seasonal) (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC4 February 2018
the job consist of helping clients prepare their tax returns and get the most refunds for them and of course give them the best client experience at all.