H&M Employee Reviews

Not The Best or The Worst Place to Work
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON23 January 2018
I did gain a lot of experience and dabbled in different departments, including fitting rooms, cash, etc. These activities were balanced out in my shifts.

One thing that really ticked me off the most were some coworkers. They really closed me off when I tried to befriend them and work with them. Even stirring up a regular conversation was difficult and they rather not respond. It was even harder to get along with SOME people in the management team as they can also be a little judgmental. So overall I got great experience, but not the best team.

In terms of policies/functions, they weren't as informative with certain activities (especially on cash). I always tried to keep myself up-to-date on any new promotions or anything that they announce on the boards. Sometimes when I don't have a shift and most people do, they would announce something important that I would not know about and all the blame would be placed on me (ex. there was something they changed with gift card transactions during Christmas time to some employees and I was some of the few who didn't know about it. As a result, we messed up).
Pros
Great experience to use in other places
Cons
Rude coworkers, not really informative with new information
it was fine
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON23 January 2018
it was fine. people were cool. management was simple minded. got me through school. solid part time job. would recommend for students who commute. it as a good time
all retail is the same, management is a mess
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON15 January 2018
management can sometimes be mess and show favoritism. all retail jobs are the same, you take alot of bad attitudes from customers and managers don't pay you enough
part time sales advisor
Part Time Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Oshawa, ON15 January 2018
the company really did act like a team and incorporated the family aspect within the company we did alot of things out side of the store and but the new management team isn't the best and it really understanding but other than that the store was great the training was fast and easy.
Pros
discounts and sales days
Cons
people you work with and the management team
Fun work place
Soft goods sales associate, customer service (Former Employee) –  London, ON15 January 2018
Enjoyable work place, nice benefits, responsible training procedures.
Average hours for retail, hardest part of the job is the high turn over rate- constantly training without compensation.
okay
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 January 2018
Pay could be better, starts at minimum, Excellent employee relations. Management can be overbearing at times. Still would reccomend, good environment to work in.
Best when it comes to retail.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
I have worked a few retail job and H&M has by far been the best one so far. Lots of small benefits even if you work part time. Your shifts won't be boring as you will be trained to work on cash, fits and being on the floor.
Management is nice for the most part. I worked at the flagship so they were a bit more stern but nothing too crazy they are easy to talk to if you have any special requests.
Pros
Early closes, paid 15s, flexible hours
Cons
Have to check the schedule at the store
H&M retail
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Gemeente Amsterdam28 December 2017
H&M is a nice company to start your career with getting experience in customer service. The salary is minimum wage but you'll have nice colleagues and flexible hours.
Loved it
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON18 December 2017
A typical day at H&M is going to be crazy but the staff and management are amazing. If you want to wok somewhere as a first job I would recommend here.
Fun Workplace
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
H&M gave me a lot of knowledge about multitasking in a very high pace environment. I learnt a lot about visual merchandising products, how to convert customers into fans.
Pros
Expierance
Cons
Long Hours
Great part time job for students
Full Time Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON21 November 2017
H&M is a great part time job for students. It provides a flexible schedule that works well for students. A con would be they expect a lot from you for little pay.
Pros
Flexible hours
Cons
Favouritism
Great company
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON9 November 2017
H&m was a great company and i was honored to work at such a massive, rich company like that. The people were great and the managers were well rounded and fair.
Great retail place to work at. Management is established with open communication
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Scarborough, ON8 November 2017
Typical day at work:
- rotational sections (fitting room, cash, floor, truck, etc)
- end of shift cleaning

What I learned:
- always remaining respectful regardless of difficult customers

Management:
- excellent communication
- there's no feeling of exclusivity (managers are friendly with everyone)
- open advancement opportunities
Funplace to Work
Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB6 November 2017
Very good environment to start your career in retail. Managers are very friendly. You can grow your career if you are hard working. Love working as a team.
Pros
Free Pizza's when budget met
great place to work
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON4 November 2017
H&M Was a great part time job if you are in school. Very flexible hours and great managers. A lot of benefits if you are part time and full time. And worked in great location.
Horrible
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB31 October 2017
One of the worst companies I have ever worked for. Only get 4 hour shifts, no room for advancement, managers expect everything to be perfect and yell at you in front of customers if not doing your job right, co-workers are really friendly, but you never get enough hours and end up only getting $300/month. If managers don't personally like you, you will never go onto different positions.
Pros
co-workers, discount
Cons
management, hours, pay
Promote From Within
Facilities Coordinator (Former Employee) –  Canada31 October 2017
H&M is a fast paced environment that requires constant improvement of your skills. H&M genuinely cares about your development and strongly believes in promoting from within the company. The stress level can be high at times. Colleagues are always there to help out.
Pros
Promote from within
Cons
Pay could be better
good
Order Picker (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON30 October 2017
having good and free environment. dealing with cloths, so not too heavy work. Fast work but you have music all the time. You can get extra hours but Sunday is must.
Cons
great job for students with reduced availability
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Toronto, ON30 October 2017
It's either the best job ever with a great environment and endless advancement or the pettiest waste of time you'll ever do. It literally changes based on location. Do your research, talk to staff (NOT MANAGEMENT), and find out what environment you're getting yourself into. Many really and truly try to live by the motto "Place of Possible", and many managers (unfortunately) turn favouritism and nepotism into something really and truly ugly.

Supported at quite a few locations (including in the US) and have seen really great climates and some really toxic ones. They seem to be struggling at some locations with mismanagement and move managers often due to this issue. But full-time, part time staff, and visuals... I've never witnessed any major issues on that front.

As with any job, do your research and know that at its core, it's a great company with high standards and a great vision.
Pros
flexible availability
Cons
no hours for part-timers, terribly trained managers
overall fun environment to work in
Sales Advisor / Truck Lead (Current Employee) –  Scarborough, ON27 October 2017
Organized company, great people to work with, very few opportunities to go into head office, management doesn't pay much attention to development opportunities for sales advisors

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.3K