H&M Employee Reviews

Found 306 reviews matching the search See all 5,393 reviews
management
Customer Service Representative/Cashier (Former Employee) –  Burnaby, BC4 December 2018
A typical day at work would be managers pointing and treating you as a child when they want to throw their work on you. Managers treat employees like slaves, write ups are given as an excuse for managers when they are not fond of you. Minimum wage job that gives you a raise based on perforance every year, which managers deny once the year arrives. Staff is mistreated and used to do tedious tasks managers dont want to do.
Pros
nice coworkers
Cons
cut hours, low wages, unfair treatment towards employees
Great benefits.
Visual Merchandiser (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 January 2019
Great company to challenge your customer service skills. Amazing people everywhere . You get to travel during a store opening and its on the company's expenses.
Pros
great benefits. You get to travel during a store opening.
Cons
not being able to be in control of your own schedule.
Fun
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 December 2018
Super fun place to work. The management was always supportive, and fair. They had great benefits. Would definitely recommend working here to anyone who was interested.
Do not.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC19 April 2018
The management team is horrible, head office employees have unrealistic views of what you should be doing in the store especially since they never work in the actual retail stores they know nothing! Hours are always being changed, they change your schedule without letting you know, management talks bad about the employees all the time. Seriously, one of the worst management teams I have ever experienced. They override you with work all the time, raises are very hard to achieve no matter how hard you work, theres constant favouritism... no benefits unless your'e a manager... If you decide to work for H&M make sure you're with a good team because it could be tough working here.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else
Okay place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Winnipeg, MB13 November 2018
To be honest I learned a lot and it was a fun place to work. My colleagues were very nice and forthcoming. The benefits weren't bad either. Although the pay wasn't the best
Huge workload and responsibility
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Edmonton, AB16 April 2018
The workload does not match up with the salary. Upper management who are not in store are disconnected and unreachable when issues arise. Expected to work overtime to get your responsibilites done but will not pay overtime or give you the time back.
Not a great place to work... although they will tell you it is.
Pros
Benifits are good
Cons
Area management is not good, Expectations are unrealistic, The job description does not accurately reflect the job, No overtime pay, Expected to work overtime
Store and Area management is awful
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 September 2018
I was repeatedly promised a promotion while I was already doing all of the tasks and carrying the responsibilities of the position I was to be promoted to. My promotion was put off over and over again until I finally quit after four months of empty promises and mistreatment by management. There are managers at the location I was previously employed by who have been with the company for many years and take advantage of all other employees who are new to the company. They make their own rules and bring their personal problems with them to work. With this being said I think this would be a great place to work part-time for a student.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Terrible management
horrible experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
I worked at HnM in the Mens clothing department for a few months. It was a very good learning experience as i was able to deal with many customers and learn about how the customer always comes first.It was also nice working in commission because i was able to determine my own salary depending on how much sales i did. I left because the hours became too much with school.
Implements work/life balance
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  National Capital Region23 September 2018
This is a company where they embrace cultural diversity. They are also value centered and very goal oriented. Management really pushes you to enhance and develop your skills and knowledge. I believe it's the only retail company in the Philippines who implements 2 rest days in a week.
Pros
Wear your personality, 2 rest days, no discrimination, fun culture, room for growth
Not Worth It
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK23 August 2018
I’ve been working at H&M for only five months now, and I’ve had so many negative experiences. The management is awful, especially at our store. We’re brand new, and already 15 people have quit due to the horrible atmosphere. I can’t book time off because our scheduling website almost never works, and I’m always the one who gets punished for it (regardless of how many emails I send to management). Department heads don’t care about their departments, let alone the other employees, and the entire store is a nightmare. Wages aren’t competitive, and unless you’re working overtime every single week, they’re not livable either. Unless you’re desperate, I would not suggest working here.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Literally everything else
Overall pretty good job to work at
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Laval, QC3 October 2018
overall, a good place to work but it is not made for everybody. you need a strong personality otherwise it gets hard. you have a lot of perks like free food, a relatively good discount in stores, gift cards, friends and family cards and a cool team to work with. management is good and are there when you need help
however, it gets boring. you literally do the same thing every single day
its horrible to clean this store and it is stressful
Pros
free food, good team, easy day offs, perfect job for student, cool managers, in store discount
Cons
low pay for all the work that we do, favouritism, gets boring, stressful depending on the department you work at, late closes sometimes, it gets chaotic
Do not recommend
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Brampton, ON9 November 2018
Bramalea location: I was hired and didnt last 6 months. They don't treat their employees good. Management Is a joke definitely not a great place to work. Wage - minimum. Lack of support from head office. Place is just horrible, they make it known that you are replaceable . celebration - you sometimes get snacks in the summer and around holidays. High turnover rate a few of us that got hired ending up quitting. Good luck to anyone who wants to work here.
Pros
snacks
Cons
overwork
Good staff terrible management.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2018
I worked at H&M for five years, three years as a part timer was great, they like to promote from within, so I got promoted to full time because I expressed an interest in the Visual Merchandiser role. After two years of waiting, I never got the training or promotion I wanted. The company has bad communication from district managers to store managers to the staff. The people who work at H&M are amazing, they have a great attitude and are quite friendly. Also H&M loves to buy their employees treats. I wish I had a better experience with the company, but I was happy for three to four years.
Pros
fast paced, store bought snacks, great staff, promotions from within
Cons
poor management, poor communication
Nice place to work
SALES ASSSOCIATE (Former Employee) –  Moncton, NB20 March 2018
On call shifts can be cumbersome, management is fair. Very large store to clean after store closes however. competitive salary. lots on incentive for sales associates
Pros
Good amount breaks
Cons
On call shifts
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Burlington, ON16 January 2019
The typical day at work consists of working the sales floor. and the cash register. I learned customer experience. The management is great, and the workplace culture is even better. The hardest part of the job is helping difficult customers, and the best part is working the sales floor.
Work hard/get over worked
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Ottawa, ON13 March 2018
It's a hard company to get into. It's not your easy retail job. They expect the best. But the management is terrible. Mangers should get reviews on each managers. Not a total of management grouping.
Pros
benifits are great
Cons
Managers not fair, lack of respect
Kind of boring
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB25 March 2018
Mostly you're there just to clean up after kids and messy parents. Pay isn't anything special and my managers weren't the best. No real room for growth or pay raise. Good for a first job.
Pros
Discount
Cons
Boring
An amazing experience, would love to work for the company again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2018
This job was an amazing experience and I enjoyed it a lot. Management was so amazing and they really engaged with their associates. Managers worked on the floor a lot and helped associates all the time. I stared off as a sales associate and was trained in the fitting room, on cash and also stock trained which I loved doing. The hardest part of the job was being able to work so much, I was always thrown in to do 8 hour shifts that started at 8am and sometimes would work for 6 days straight.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 July 2018
retail is retail, but with H&M its a high volume high demand store. Calls will be flying in, truck orders will be large and customers will always be a little lacking in understanding. But that's retail. I had a very good experience initially with H&M had great hours and worked every weekend. Once off season came it changed to be a bit more of a ghost town in the store and on my schedule, getting my yearly review was never done and management was changing a lot which did cause a lot of scheduling issues and inconsistencies. I do believe it is a great company to work for and actually does have a lot of opportunities to grow within the company which typically is just a nice idea thrown at you by head office but is actually enacted upon with H&M so thats pretty cool. Anyways if you like retail go for it
Pros
Yearly Gift Card (Bonus)
Cons
weekend work
Best when it comes to retail.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON7 January 2018
I have worked a few retail job and H&M has by far been the best one so far. Lots of small benefits even if you work part time. Your shifts won't be boring as you will be trained to work on cash, fits and being on the floor.
Management is nice for the most part. I worked at the flagship so they were a bit more stern but nothing too crazy they are easy to talk to if you have any special requests.
Pros
Early closes, paid 15s, flexible hours
Cons
Have to check the schedule at the store

Ask a question about working or interviewing at H&M. Our community is ready to answer.

51.7K