H&M Employee Reviews

Implements work/life balance
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  National Capital Region23 September 2018
This is a company where they embrace cultural diversity. They are also value centered and very goal oriented. Management really pushes you to enhance and develop your skills and knowledge. I believe it's the only retail company in the Philippines who implements 2 rest days in a week.
Pros
Wear your personality, 2 rest days, no discrimination, fun culture, room for growth
Cons
Store and Area management is awful
Visual Manager (Former Employee) –  Regina, SK18 September 2018
I was repeatedly promised a promotion while I was already doing all of the tasks and carrying the responsibilities of the position I was to be promoted to. My promotion was put off over and over again until I finally quit after four months of empty promises and mistreatment by management. There are managers at the location I was previously employed by who have been with the company for many years and take advantage of all other employees who are new to the company. They make their own rules and bring their personal problems with them to work. With this being said I think this would be a great place to work part-time for a student.
Pros
Good hours
Cons
Terrible management
Unprofessional management.
Vendeur-Conseil (Current Employee) –  Montréal, QC12 September 2018
Worst management, ever.
unprofessional, favoritism, underpaid, overworked, asked to do management tasks but not paid for it, unstable management, lies about growth opportunity.

however, there's a very good team spirit and flexible for a student job.
Cons
non-professional management.
An amazing experience, would love to work for the company again
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON6 September 2018
This job was an amazing experience and I enjoyed it a lot. Management was so amazing and they really engaged with their associates. Managers worked on the floor a lot and helped associates all the time. I stared off as a sales associate and was trained in the fitting room, on cash and also stock trained which I loved doing. The hardest part of the job was being able to work so much, I was always thrown in to do 8 hour shifts that started at 8am and sometimes would work for 6 days straight.
Not Worth It
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Regina, SK23 August 2018
I’ve been working at H&M for only five months now, and I’ve had so many negative experiences. The management is awful, especially at our store. We’re brand new, and already 15 people have quit due to the horrible atmosphere. I can’t book time off because our scheduling website almost never works, and I’m always the one who gets punished for it (regardless of how many emails I send to management). Department heads don’t care about their departments, let alone the other employees, and the entire store is a nightmare. Wages aren’t competitive, and unless you’re working overtime every single week, they’re not livable either. Unless you’re desperate, I would not suggest working here.
Pros
You get paid
Cons
Literally everything else
Fun
Sales associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON16 August 2018
Learned how to deal with people and how to deal with difficult people. I learned how to prioritize the difference between need and want. I also leanred organizational skills
Possibilité d’avancer
Clerk (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC13 August 2018
Possibilité d’avancement, réorganisation de carrière et sens de l’équité
Pros
Formation en ligne rémunérée
Cons
Horaire instable
Bien
Vendeur (Former Employee) –  Surrey28 July 2018
Bonne entreprise, Bonne synergie entre les employés.
Sales Advisor
SALES ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON24 July 2018
This is great for part-time students or people who are looking for a second job. Very flexible and accommodating. You get to meet a lot of people that become friends for life and you learn a lot about yourself and your limits.
Pros
Learn a lot of customer service skills, leadership skills, organization skills and communication skills.
Cons
Favoritism, short hour shifts you're new, very busy and fast passe.
Always busy so time flies.
Sales Associate and Cashier (Former Employee) –  Montréal, QC21 July 2018
The job itself wasn't bad at all, but the people I worked with always gossiped started nasty rumers about each other and were always rude and impatient with customers. The people who worked there longest would gang up on the new employees and treat them with no respect. Management was poor because all of this drama was happening right under their noses and some of the managers were the cause of the problem by picking sides of the employees that were there longer out of loyalty.
Please keep in mind that this was 9 years ago, so I'm sure things much have changed since then.
Pros
Fun job
Cons
Terrible atmosphere for the new employees.
fun place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON12 July 2018
retail is retail, but with H&M its a high volume high demand store. Calls will be flying in, truck orders will be large and customers will always be a little lacking in understanding. But that's retail. I had a very good experience initially with H&M had great hours and worked every weekend. Once off season came it changed to be a bit more of a ghost town in the store and on my schedule, getting my yearly review was never done and management was changing a lot which did cause a lot of scheduling issues and inconsistencies. I do believe it is a great company to work for and actually does have a lot of opportunities to grow within the company which typically is just a nice idea thrown at you by head office but is actually enacted upon with H&M so thats pretty cool. Anyways if you like retail go for it
Pros
Yearly Gift Card (Bonus)
Cons
weekend work
fun
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2018
good place to start out for retail, lots of chances to move around not the best management but fun if you're looking for a chill place to work in retail
A good place to work with many ways to advance in the company
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2018
H&M is a faster paced work environment. A typical day on the job includes working in the fitting room, working point of sale, and interacting with customers. Not only that, but also cleaning around the store and working with your co-workers. It is essential to have the ability to get along with others in the work environment as you work with them all the time. The hardest part of the job is the bad customers who aren't as welcoming and nice as others. The most enjoyable part for me was the friends I made. My coworkers were awesome, everyone at H&M is very nice and positive :)
Great work environment
SALES ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 June 2018
I loved my team at H&M. All my managers were awesome and they were really flexible with scheduling. I was taking college classes at the time and they made sure the students were well taken care of as well as everyone else. It was fun and the customers made it even better.
Pros
Discount, managers, flexible scheduling
horrible experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
I worked at HnM in the Mens clothing department for a few months. It was a very good learning experience as i was able to deal with many customers and learn about how the customer always comes first.It was also nice working in commission because i was able to determine my own salary depending on how much sales i did. I left because the hours became too much with school.
Great company
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  County Dublin7 June 2018
Great company to work for. Management team is outstanding. The company provide many trainings. They believe in people and help them to grow within company.
Very productive, team members were friendly and encouraging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
I had an amazing experience working at H&M. Staff and co workers were very friendly and encouraging, felt very lively working there even for a few shifts and the environment was fenomonal especially when costumers were happy with our coustomoer service.
Pros
Shifts being offered
Terrible
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC30 May 2018
Great team but horrible management. Horrible may be an understatement at this point. Managers do not do their job but instead they try to act like big shots and give themselves too much importance. Some are also very rude to clients, so much so, that some clients complain to sales advisors about the rudeness and unprofessionalism of the managers. Only good thing, is the great team of fellow sales advisors. We had flexible hours but the managers started to take that away from us by not allowing us to switch or give away a shift.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Managing
Good staff terrible management.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2018
I worked at H&M for five years, three years as a part timer was great, they like to promote from within, so I got promoted to full time because I expressed an interest in the Visual Merchandiser role. After two years of waiting, I never got the training or promotion I wanted. The company has bad communication from district managers to store managers to the staff. The people who work at H&M are amazing, they have a great attitude and are quite friendly. Also H&M loves to buy their employees treats. I wish I had a better experience with the company, but I was happy for three to four years.
Pros
fast paced, store bought snacks, great staff, promotions from within
Cons
poor management, poor communication
Great place
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  City of Edinburgh23 May 2018
Working a the contact centre in the UK was a great place to really learn about the corporate culture and see how easy it is to advance in whichever direction you feel more comfortable. Great company that do so much to make sure the staff know they are appreciated