H&M Employee Reviews

fun
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 June 2018
good place to start out for retail, lots of chances to move around not the best management but fun if you're looking for a chill place to work in retail
A good place to work with many ways to advance in the company
Sales Advisor (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB19 June 2018
H&M is a faster paced work environment. A typical day on the job includes working in the fitting room, working point of sale, and interacting with customers. Not only that, but also cleaning around the store and working with your co-workers. It is essential to have the ability to get along with others in the work environment as you work with them all the time. The hardest part of the job is the bad customers who aren't as welcoming and nice as others. The most enjoyable part for me was the friends I made. My coworkers were awesome, everyone at H&M is very nice and positive :)
Great work environment
SALES ADVISOR (Former Employee) –  Victoria, BC13 June 2018
I loved my team at H&M. All my managers were awesome and they were really flexible with scheduling. I was taking college classes at the time and they made sure the students were well taken care of as well as everyone else. It was fun and the customers made it even better.
Pros
Discount, managers, flexible scheduling
horrible experience
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON10 June 2018
I worked at HnM in the Mens clothing department for a few months. It was a very good learning experience as i was able to deal with many customers and learn about how the customer always comes first.It was also nice working in commission because i was able to determine my own salary depending on how much sales i did. I left because the hours became too much with school.
Great company
Visual Merchandiser (Former Employee) –  County Dublin7 June 2018
Great company to work for. Management team is outstanding. The company provide many trainings. They believe in people and help them to grow within company.
Very productive, team members were friendly and encouraging
Cashier (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON6 June 2018
I had an amazing experience working at H&M. Staff and co workers were very friendly and encouraging, felt very lively working there even for a few shifts and the environment was fenomonal especially when costumers were happy with our coustomoer service.
Pros
Shifts being offered
Terrible
sales advisor (Former Employee) –  Laval, QC30 May 2018
Great team but horrible management. Horrible may be an understatement at this point. Managers do not do their job but instead they try to act like big shots and give themselves too much importance. Some are also very rude to clients, so much so, that some clients complain to sales advisors about the rudeness and unprofessionalism of the managers. Only good thing, is the great team of fellow sales advisors. We had flexible hours but the managers started to take that away from us by not allowing us to switch or give away a shift.
Pros
Fellow employees
Cons
Managing
Good staff terrible management.
Department Supervisor (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB26 May 2018
I worked at H&M for five years, three years as a part timer was great, they like to promote from within, so I got promoted to full time because I expressed an interest in the Visual Merchandiser role. After two years of waiting, I never got the training or promotion I wanted. The company has bad communication from district managers to store managers to the staff. The people who work at H&M are amazing, they have a great attitude and are quite friendly. Also H&M loves to buy their employees treats. I wish I had a better experience with the company, but I was happy for three to four years.
Pros
fast paced, store bought snacks, great staff, promotions from within
Cons
poor management, poor communication
Great place
Customer Service Agent (Former Employee) –  City of Edinburgh23 May 2018
Working a the contact centre in the UK was a great place to really learn about the corporate culture and see how easy it is to advance in whichever direction you feel more comfortable. Great company that do so much to make sure the staff know they are appreciated
hard work, great people
Visual Manager (Current Employee) –  Newmarket, ON16 May 2018
A great work environment with opportunities for advancement. Fast paced, always on the go. Management is supportive and knowledgeable but sometimes disorganized and narrow minded.
good place
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Markham, ON16 May 2018
people are friendly. Teach me everything that i needed to know for the job. it is a very clean and comfortable place to work at. sometimes the work can be a lot but you will just get used to it.
Great team to work with!
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Vancouver, BC4 May 2018
Big chain retail can be not much fun, but at H&M we had a fantastic team of managers and employees that made the job a great place to be! The lunchroom was a lot of fun to hang out in, and the managers became our friends. Everyone was a helping hand, and made the busy hours easier.
Pros
Free pizza lunches upon meeting sales goals
Cons
some early hours when on truck shifts
An enjoyable place to work
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Newmarket, ON1 May 2018
Working at H&M has given me a huge amount of experience for being my first job. The best part of going to work was seeing all the friendly faces that were my co-workers and managers. I learned how to work at a fast pace, communicate with both customers and the people I was working with and how to get things done efficiently. The hardest part of this job was being on your feet walking the entire shift, as well as the hours not being as flexible as I would have liked them to be. Overall, working at H&M was an incredible experience and one that I will never forget. I love everyone who worked and works there, and really did consider us a big family.
Pros
-Positive environment
Cons
-On your feet a lot
3 floors consisting of 3 micro managers..
Sales (Former Employee) –  Toronto, ON27 April 2018
Staff got along
How to hang 35 shirts in under a minute- Laundry is a breeze now
Management was not that great out of 10 I enjoyed 2. Those 2 managers taught me a lot and were a big part in me staying as long as I did.
Very Fast Paced, I did enjoy the flow, every hour we would be assigned to something different which made it fun, for example : from 1:00pm-2:00pm I would be a cashier and from 2:00pm-3:00pm i would be in the fitting room. It made the time go by faster
The hardest part was clean up at the end of the day- H&M eaton centre I am sure you can imagine the amount of clothes we had to put back
Pros
free lunches
h&m
Department Manager (Current Employee) –  Windsor, ON27 April 2018
Good place to work for the most part. Has ups and downs like most places. More room for advancement if you will move. Someone is willing to listen when you have a problem
Pros
Good wage
Cons
Less work life and home life balance
Probably just our store
SALES COACH (Current Employee) –  Victoria, BC26 April 2018
The management at this location can be difficult, especially because of the tight-knit workplace environment. A lot of gossip goes on, though it is possible to stay out of it but not easy. It's tough to bring issues to the attention of the management team because often they enable the problems.
The location is busy which means that depending on your availability you will be scheduled as much as you'd like, it is easy to pick up shifts and they do listen to your scheduling preferences. It is also easy to get your shifts covered or book days off in my experience.
the hardest part of the job boils down to time management and dealing with the less favorable customers, the best part of the job is also the kinder customers and when you really get along with your coworkers it's a positive environment.
Pros
snacks sometimes, easy shift changes/ coverages/ availability changing
Cons
shifts get extended, management issues
Overall good
Sales Associate (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB26 April 2018
Its been a while since I have worked at H&M, and things may have changed, but overall it was good. Retail is for certain people, and Its a good place to start for a first job.
High energy workplace with friendly environment
Customer Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Windsor, ON25 April 2018
The workplace culture of H&M is positive, supportive, high fashioned and comfortable. What I like about this company is that they accept you as you are. Wear whatever your personal style is to work and be treated with respect, very progressive!
Pros
Birthday pay, lunches and staff nights
Cons
Tedious
Fun workplace
Sales Associate (Current Employee) –  Calgary, AB23 April 2018
Nice place to work at, and a lot of great and friendly people. Typical day is very straightforward and easy you have a daily and follow it, it tells you everything you'll be doing for the day. Management is alright just like any place, just get on their good side and you're fine.
Do not.
Sales Advisor (Former Employee) –  Pointe-Claire, QC19 April 2018
The management team is horrible, head office employees have unrealistic views of what you should be doing in the store especially since they never work in the actual retail stores they know nothing! Hours are always being changed, they change your schedule without letting you know, management talks bad about the employees all the time. Seriously, one of the worst management teams I have ever experienced. They override you with work all the time, raises are very hard to achieve no matter how hard you work, theres constant favouritism... no benefits unless your'e a manager... If you decide to work for H&M make sure you're with a good team because it could be tough working here.
Pros
discount
Cons
everything else