Guy Carpenter Employee Reviews

Risk analyst
Risk Analyst (Former Employee) –  New York, NY1 April 2019
Overworked and underpaid. It was a stressful work environment and honestly management didn't care at all about most of the lower level employees. I will not miss those hours.
Out with the Old in with the New
Client Claim Technician (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ7 January 2019
Great job. Allowed to be free and independent. The area of the company I worked for is getting more and more modernized but their employees are getting older and older. And I mean old. Four in every five employees were over 50. Thats insane.
Pros
Pay, flexiblility, stress free
Cons
Old people complain a lot
Accounting Department
Reinsurance & Insurance Broker (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ14 November 2018
This is not a company for a young college graduate. Most employees have worked here 15 years to 40 years. They are stuck in their ways. No room for improving efficiencies. Their system is outdated. And their European branches use a completely different system that is more efficient.
Pros
Work from Home
Cons
Outdated System; No Room for Advancement; Your Opinion is looked down upon
A great learning experience
Work Experience Student - 2 weeks (Former Employee) –  London9 September 2018
A great learning experience everyone was really welcoming and readily answered any questions I had. I thoroughly enjoyed the whole 2 weeks and it was a great insight into the insurance industry.
Location is awesome.
Senior Java Software Engineer (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ15 August 2018
Water front building. Awesome location. Hoboken train station and path stations are very close barely 5 minutes walk from building. Filled with restaurants.
Por ser de outsourcing no tenía ningún beneficio adicional.
Recepcionista Bilingüe (Former Employee) –  Insurgentes Sur9 August 2018
Al ser contratada por outsourcing la empresa no se hacía responsable en nada por mi, tampoco contaba con ningún beneficio, fuera del comedor.
Pros
El comedor
Cons
Todo
Buen ambiente de trabajo
Ejecutivo de Cuenta (Former Employee) –  Ciudad de México, D. F.18 April 2018
Es una empresa en donde se aprende lo esencial del reaseguro, sin embargo, en la época en la que yo estuve no existían oportunidades de promoción o cambio de área.
Good Work Environment
Senior Vice President (Former Employee) –  New York, NY18 April 2018
Generally a nice work life balance, but it depended on who you reported to at times. There is an incredible body of knowledge within the company. The whole organization is definitely customer focused.
Pros
Smart people
Cons
Outdated, underfunded IT
Very good company
Catastrophe modeller analyst (Current Employee) –  Hlavní město Praha16 March 2018
Great company where there is a lot of prospective for the future, and the managment is very friendly and open for every request.
The salary though is not enough compared to the cost of living
Do not wish to comment
Senior Reinsurance Accountant and Claims (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ2 March 2018
My experience was not a good one. I was hired on a new team with a new manager that was out of the office more than in the office. I sat throughout the summer with nothing to do. This was very disheartening as I love to work and be busy. It wasn't until I spoke up about the lack of work that my manager gave me a few accounts. This was 5 months into my job. I am used to a fast paced work environment and peers working together.
Pros
Work from home
Cons
Lack of Training, System out -dated
Good Company. No chance of progression
Senior Accounts Clerk (Current Employee) –  Witham, Essex23 February 2018
Reconciliation of accounts. Payments, Receipts. Contact with colleagues in Africa and Korea,
Authorisation of payments.
Transfer from manager of team of 3 to widen knowledge.
Control of largest account outside of USA.
Difficult to juggle time for Korea, South Africa and Zimbabwe. All expect their business to be serviced first.
Pros
Good Benefits
Cons
Little chance of progression
Secure
CONTRACT ANALYST (Current Employee) –  Snohomish, WA18 February 2018
This is a secure job with a focused environment. I have learned much about risk management, contract creation, and sales process. The most enjoyable part of the job is the ever changing industry.
Client Services
Accounting and Claims Specialist (Former Employee) –  Edina, MN1 December 2017
It was an excellent starting position which allowed me to grow my knowledge of reinsurance and start my career off in the right direction. Guy Carpenter was a good fit at the time.
Extremely Challenging
STATISTICAL ANALYST (Former Employee) –  New York, NY21 November 2017
Always a very busy day for most part. Learned a lot about reinsurance and catastrophe losses throughout the world. Great management team and support. Completing an assignment was the most enjoyable.
Good group of people
Associate Broker - Reinsurance (Current Employee) –  San Francisco, CA30 October 2017
The people at the firm are, for the most part, very nice and easy to get along with. For those that don't know about reinsurance, I suggest spending several hours (or days) doing research about the different areas of the business before pursuing opportunities. And for those that do know about reinsurance, you know this firm is one of the best.
Pros
Good people, great office
Business Analyst / Product Owner (Current Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ26 October 2017
Good Place to work for.
Nice Projects. Learning new things.
Gives you opportunity to learn new exciting projects.
Managers are good mentors. commute to hoboken would be an issue if ones want to drive.
Forward thinking Lloyds Broking House
Assistant Vice President (Former Employee) –  Witham, Essex28 September 2017
The expectation to give clients a top service made for an interesting day at the office and with a varied portfolio of Eastern European, Russian and Scandinavian clients no two days were the same. The work consisted of managing premiums and claims from start to finish or end-to-end as it was known and this meant clients and markets could then make one call to a technician to review progress of each item at any given point. The culture was one that encouraged progression and learning with online courses and opportunity to take the ACII exams. Management were generally keen to pass on knowledge with regular meetings and people were given opportunity to either put forward ideas or test new procedures and upcoming system enhancements. The hardest part of the job was time management given the expected handling of the various disciplines. One of the most enjoyable aspects was overseeing various very large claims being fully collected from many difficult overseas markets and paying the client quickly to ensure that they got the best possible service.
Pros
Staff benefits
Cons
Volume of work
Workplace
Claims Broker (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ 0703017 August 2017
Can be stressful, can be rewarding, can be challenging. Management does not promote unless it's their "inner circle". You work hard and most of the time not rewarded.
Pros
work from home
Cons
no chance of advancement
Average
Excess of Loss Claims Technician (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ2 August 2017
I enjoyed my time at Guy Carpenter though it was not for long. THis was not the career path I wanted to take with my life so I changed early on. The people were all very kind.
Pros
Hoboken
Cons
Commute
Great place for autonomy, Great people and Great casual/relaxed environment
Information Technology Intern (Former Employee) –  Hoboken, NJ1 August 2017
Enjoyed the perks of working here. Fully stocked cafe area, great location to eat for lunch! Enjoyed going outside to eat near the Hudson River.

As an intern I was not very involved with any department outside the IT area, but loved and disliked the quiet environment here.
Pros
Cons
Lack of work

Ask a question about working or interviewing at Guy Carpenter. Our community is ready to answer.