Guillevin International Employee Reviews

Good company, terrible managers
Office Administrator (Former Employee) –  Calgary, AB11 October 2018
I worked at this company for a year and a half. It started out great but when my manager and I started disagreeing on things, it was very tense. I had an issue that there was drinking in the office and my manager lied to me about going to school. (I wanted to, he said that there wasn't any reason for the company to pay for that). In turn, there was no room for advancement.

My manager didn't speak to me for a week after confronting him about these issues with the VP. The first time he had a real conversation with me after that, it was to fire me. He said that "there were emails" that were offside, but didn't give me any more information as to why I was being let go.

My manager also said that each profit center's goal was profits, so spending money on safety requirements wasn't something he was interested in. In turn, our warehouse safety requirements are next to none.

Terrible management in the Calgary branches. He works for himself and the money, not the people or the branch.
Pros
profit sharing, good coworkers
Cons
silent treatment, angry boss
Never again
Sales (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON25 June 2018
Company's unofficial vision statement - no one is impressed. Whatever you do - no one is ever impressed and it's never enough. Be prepared for at least 10 hour days even though at the beginning you are told differently - work culture doesn't allow you to leave on time. While I was working there an employee who worked there for his entire life was retired and his only advice to me was to run away from this company as soon as I can. I think that tells something.
Pros
Competitive salary
Cons
Long hours, consistently short on lunch break time, understaffed
Would heavily advise against working for Guillevin.
Outside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS6 September 2018
They brought me in from a different industry as an Outside Sales Representative. Adopted a hybrid role mentality including monthly goals to hit in counter sales, inside sales, and outside sales. Than I was terminated with zero notice or pay because I wasn't the right fit as an Outside Sales Rep. I was one of 6 people to leave or get fired in a 4 month period. If you like working in a place with no leadership, stability, or guidance then this is the place for you.
Pros
Hour Lunch Break
Cons
Zero training and leadership
Stressful Micro-managed workplace
Receptionist (Former Employee) –  North Edmonton, AB20 May 2018
A lot of data-entry - data had to be entered as fast as possible (you were timed) and errors were severely frowned upon. The person doing the training micro-managed and time management through the day was managed for you. No laughter allowed, no team building, no compassion, only work. Had to arrive early to get things started, and had to leave work right on the dot. After your 3 months probation was up, I heard the benefits were good.
Pros
Good benefits after 3 months
Cons
No team building, not enjoyable atmosphere
Horrible company
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Edmonton main20 December 2018
Guillevin had to the worst company I have ever worked for.
They don’t want you to advance, just sit at your desk and don’t see or mention all the shady/entitled/safety issue that are going on everyday.
Just shut your mouth drone and do your typing, don’t help out other people or try to bring up morale.
They are also known for laying people off right before the holidays then withholding their pay until after Christmas.
I would avoid working for this company.
Pros
Cons
Giving up everything to conform to shady business structure.
Best Electrical Wholesaler out there
Inside Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Sudbury, ON4 January 2018
Worked at two locations in Ontario. Actually a great company to work for. Corporately they really do have the employees best interests in mind. Great Benefits, generous salary, excellent promotions and communication. Opportunity's to advance and opportunities to explore other locations. I made the mistake of leaving and discovered that other companies do not care or cultivate such an excellent environment for their employees. I may be the only person to have ever left Guillevin.
Pros
Benefits, Salary, Work Enviroment
Cons
Stripped down computer system.
Horrible place to work at
Inside Sales (Current Employee) –  Vancouver, BC13 December 2018
No room for growth and only worried about their sales.
You are just a number in this place so dont get your Hope's up. They will promise the world and screw you over in a heartbeat.
Pros
Cons
Too many
Deceived by management
Administrative Assistant (Former Employee) –  St. Catharines, ON9 March 2018
Was promised a full-time, permenent, and fast advancing career - turns out it was only a two month temporary position to cover a vacation. The branch manager says he has an open-door policy, then sets you up for failure.
Cons
Poor management
Terrible workplace with very backwards thinking
Inside Sales / Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Vaughan, ON27 May 2018
Micro-management of adults that have experience in the industry.
Very backwards thinking with very little control over sales process by actual sales person.
Terrible training method
good sales training provided.
Sales Representative (Former Employee) –  Hamilton, ON21 February 2018
Excellent people who worked together to achieve customer service qualities in which set them apart from the competition. At the time , selling electrical and industrial products to Stelco and defasco , as well , the contractors.
Pros
good sales training.
Cons
not enough advancement
Productive and fun place to work
Automation Specialist/Automation Solution Provider (Current Employee) –  Calgary15 November 2013
Every day is like my first day at work where I get to learn new things and meet new people. Management has been fine so far and when it comes to co-workers, it is just fantastic. They guide me and help me where ever they can. The hardest part of job is that it is limited to Calgary. I am looking for a job where i can travel and experience more about our industry and hence learn more. The most enjoyable part of the job is to meet new people everyday from different cultures and ethnicities.
Pros
Good Company with ample amount of experience
Cons
Limited territory
good place to work
Forklift Operator (Former Employee) –  Concord, ON20 February 2018
the reason i left was to work closer to home.they where nice to all staff and it is a good place to work and i would go back. the management there needs some help but the people there are good to work for
Great Atmosphere
Warehouse Worker (Current Employee) –  Dartmouth, NS15 April 2018
Guillevin is a great company to work for and lots of growth within the company. In this industry you are always learning because new products are always coming out.
Very similar to high school with the people all working towards profit sharing and talking about one another behind their backs.
office (Former Employee) –  Edmonton, AB18 July 2017
When there is nobody around to babysit you it is an ok place as long as you can ignore the other employees that you know do nothing better then talk about one another Is micro managed by higher ups in Montreal because the managers they choose are incompetent apparently in their eyes.
Pros
Profit sharing
Cons
Salary
Friendly Staff and Encouraging Work
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Kitchener, ON21 February 2016
A day to day basis of working at Guillevin was interacting with customers, filling and shipping orders, and receiving product. The staff were incredibly friendly and exceptionally kind towards the customers and other co- workers. It was a positive atmosphere upon entering the building every day. I was able to broaden my knowledge on the different electrical components as many of the staff were experienced with them. The hardest part while working was the stress of keeping up with orders to ensure they make it out the same day. Management was very professional and encouraged all employees to have a say towards any subject. Overall it was a good job to have coming out of high school.
All in all, not a bad place to work
Counter/Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Charlottetown, PE31 December 2012
Great atmospere to work in, fellow employees super to work with, great hours (40) no weekends. Felt Co. was missing out due to not opening same time as competition. Wages were comparable to local industry standards. Missing the boat not having outside sales to help increase sales and customer traffic. Very surprising job security, here today gone tomorrow
Pros
fellow workers knowledge and willingness to share
Cons
job security
My experience
Warehouse Worker (Former Employee) –  Mississauga, ON26 April 2017
When I worked for this company I was working as an assembly line worker. I worked long hours and for very little money. When I was working there I didn't get enough money to live on for my family.
So called be there for you
Inside Sales (Former Employee) –  Kamloops, BC9 November 2017
Company brags how they are there for their employees yet when something becomes life changing they get scared and lay you off without helping you. This was in one branch only and the Western Regional Manager
great company
Office worker (Former Employee) –  London, ON28 April 2017
fast paced environment, friendly staff, good benefits, open, shared work space, work for both office staff, sales men and warehouse workers, serves public well
Great management and stability
Project Manager (Current Employee) –  St Laurent, QC13 October 2016
Great management, great stability, good coworkers, calm environment, easy commute, not challenging, not so much space for improvement
Cons
unpaid overtime