GUELPH MERCURY Employee Reviews

See reviews about:
Really good pay for younger kids.
Paper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON19 March 2018
-This is a post for when I worked for the Guelph Mercury before they shut down in 2016-

The Guelph Mercury was an amazing company when it came to being organized, unlike the Guelph Tribune where they make you put the papers together. The papers were small, but had to be done every weekday before 5:00 PM and every Saturday before 9:00 AM (which can suck if you don't like waking up early on the weekend).
Pros
Very organized, good pay for what it was.
Cons
Had to be done almost every day.
terrible company
Paper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON5 December 2017
management is aggressive and threatening no job security. expect to have your employment in question 24/7 as they use this to keep there employees in line
Cons
everything
good learning experience
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON15 June 2017
I enjoyed gaining life experience. This was the first job i had worked at and I was glad to have had the experience, at times it was challenging to work through issues with restricting weather.
Good Job for a 12 year old
Paper Delivery Person (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 March 2017
This was my first Job... I Ended up quiting because no matter what the weather was you are expected to deliver the papers. Sometimes the people who delivered the papers to me were late doing so, which made me late in delivering the papers to the people on my assigned route
Pros
Extra pocket money
Cons
Worked in elements
fun outdoor job
Distributing and delivering new paper (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON21 January 2017
a typical day as a mail delivery person consisted of being outside and included a lot of walking which i can say was the hardest part of the job especially in the winter
Pros
walking exercise
Cons
delivering during winter
Very efficient facility
Press/Machine operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON9 January 2017
I worked at the Guelph mercury for a number of years, during this time I fully utilized my willingness to learn and adapt new skills that were required to succeed in the workplace.
No breaks, good people
Warehouse Worker/Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON14 December 2016
The work was relatively easy but transport trucks were almost always late which when trying to achieve a deadline and a body or two are absent, you really busted your tail.
Pros
worked independently
Cons
No toilet paper in washrooms at times
Everyday delivery.
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON13 July 2016
I hated the fact that you had to deliver everyday but I loved that it got me out of the house. Delivery by 5 pm at the latest from Monday to Friday was great for me, it fit in with my everyday life and got, and kept me fit if anything. Saturdays is what killed me, having to be up by 6 am to get the papers put them together and then have 100 papers delivered by 9 am, horrible! Some people on the route were happy, fantastic people unlike a couple of stops that always made me cringe at the amount of disrespect I received from them. Overall not a bad job, depending on the customers.
The work I did for the Guelph Mercury was good but demanding too. Papers were to be delivered six times a week and in all kinds of weather as well
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Fergus, ON4 June 2016
The Guelph Mercury as we all know has been a great company for over one hundred years and I am proud to say I was able to work for them in their final days. Management was amazing and well organized.
Pros
Exercise and fresh air
Cons
Delivering in all sorts of weather was trying sometimes.
Typical day at work
Material Handler (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 April 2016
Organizing paperwork in the beginning of the shift, for all truck, drivers, and carriers.
Making following changes to paperwork if something changed on the day of.
Increasing math skills from counting instead of using the calculator, since we didn't have the time to do so.
Increase overall management skills, since most work was to reorganize paperwork, or product.
Co-workers were kind and helpful
When there's too much work for two people, and had to stay in overtime or come in early to finish the work
Once all work was finish, break could be as long as the time it's done to the next work that comes.
Pros
Can choose breaktime, Employees, environment
Cons
Low employment, Transportation
Delivered papers
Newspaper Delivery (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 August 2015
I had the opportunity in having a Paper route through Guelph Mercury. Although i had early morning. it was a good way for a child to earn money to spend on himself and siblings.
No more printing press
Press Operator (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 July 2015
Working at the Mercury was fine, but my job there no longer exists, otherwise I'd still be working there. Printing is a dying trade.
Outside
Paper boy (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON18 November 2014
It was a paper delivery job that was dreadfully hot in the summer, and cold in the winter, seeing as how the job was outside, everyday but Sunday
Pros
Small work ours
Cons
Small pay
review
Paper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON3 November 2014
was a good place to work but i wasn't allowed to do it anymore because my parents wouldn't let me by myself get there.
Pros
good pay and deals at certain places
Horrible
Newspaper Carrier (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON20 August 2014
It takes over your life. You have no time for anything/anyone else.
Productive, fun workplace with great staff.
Multimedia Account Manager (Former Employee) –  Guelph, ON29 June 2012
Developing and maintaining positive relationships with accounts
Developing effective sales proposals and presentations for clients to increase sales and to create lasting business relationships
Pros
free newspaper
Cons
no room for growth